Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Somehow even though this is my 2nd save, my factory is still a huge mess. I think this time I had the iron all set up right, but my copper situation is a nightmare spaghetti horror show. I got Steel Screws early on, and I already had 1 extremely long conveyor belt from my steel plant at the coal deposits in the west of the map, to the 1st desert starting area where everything else was, so I pretty much just used iron for rods and plates.

However, other than copper alloy ingots, I didn't get any useful copper alternate recipes, so I have 1 triple overclocked copper miner supplying powering like 6 foundries, and a bunch of smelters I was too lazy to tear down and replace with foundries, and then dozens upon dozens of overclocked constructors cranking out wire and cable. It just kept growing and growing, and then I realized that since I was kind of under an arch, there was a limit to how high I can build in 1 area...

However, since I'll have all my christmas event stuff, I'll probably keep this save and try to fix it when the patch comes. I'm only making 2 turbomotors a minute so there won't be much to tear down and rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've made like six worlds at this point. They're all messes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

However, other than copper alloy ingots, I didn't get any useful copper alternate recipes, so I have 1 triple overclocked copper miner supplying powering like 6 foundries, and a bunch of smelters I was too lazy to tear down and replace with foundries, and then dozens upon dozens of overclocked constructors cranking out wire and cable. It just kept growing and growing, and then I realized that since I was kind of under an arch, there was a limit to how high I can build in 1 area...

Well, IMO there are 2* super useful alternate recipes with copper and you've got the most important one. Copper alloy is great, it doubles your copper and has great output/minute. The other is fused copper wire, which is like, good if you are resource constrained on copper and have caterium available. The alt recipes for cable are meh (coated cable) and suck (rubber).

* steamed copper sheets is a third, but gently caress setting up a refinery system if you can easily get more copper by setting up some transportation

Copper just doesn't have the silver bullets that iron has like steel screws, and it doesn't have the easy resource multipliers that oil has with the recycled alternates. For the most part copper equals constructor arrays. The size of the constructor arrays just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

The main thing though is you need to get more resources either with expansion bases or transportation. The starting areas have a good number of copper nodes, you should have more than one around.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njXBs_p2l1w

New parts coming in update 4. Can package alumina solution and sulfuric acid now, and aluminum ingots can be used to made aluminum casings which will be used in high level crafting. Plutonium nuclear waste will be a thing, indicating some serious changes to nuclear power coming up (guessing it has something to do with uranium turning into plutonium as part of the process, not adding plutonium nodes around the map. Would be cool if I was wrong though). Magnetic field generators, Assembly Director Systems, and Thermal Propulsion Rockets, indicating the next stage of the Space Elevator is coming in the update.

Nothing much revealed besides the items, there's going to be a Q&A before the end of the year as well which should give more info. Been working on a Christmas factory after completing my supercomputer project, kind of curious what's going to happen to it once the event is over.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hopefully they make christmas stuff sink-able after the event

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
The end of 2020 being a vaccine, trump gone, Cyberpunk, and Update 4 eventually....so good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

New parts coming in update 4. Can package alumina solution and sulfuric acid now, and aluminum ingots can be used to made aluminum casings which will be used in high level crafting. Plutonium nuclear waste will be a thing, indicating some serious changes to nuclear power coming up (guessing it has something to do with uranium turning into plutonium as part of the process, not adding plutonium nodes around the map. Would be cool if I was wrong though). Magnetic field generators, Assembly Director Systems, and Thermal Propulsion Rockets, indicating the next stage of the Space Elevator is coming in the update.

Nothing much revealed besides the items, there's going to be a Q&A before the end of the year as well which should give more info. Been working on a Christmas factory after completing my supercomputer project, kind of curious what's going to happen to it once the event is over.

Guess they're not taking alumina solution out of the aluminium chain then. If they're trying to simplify it... I guess they might remove the aluminium scrap step? Go straight from solution to ingots. And/or maybe taking the petroleum coke out of the process and replace it with something else.

Judging by its design description aluminium casings will probably require rubber. I'd imagine they're getting dropped into the supercomputer/RCU recipes.
Looking forward to seeing what else they're adding in to use these things.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've finally gotten to the final tier of the christmas event, and wow I really misjudged the scale of what I'd have to do to make 500 stars in a reasonable timeframe. I have like 1-2 of every machine overclocked to hell and back because the building I made for my christmas factory is too small

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Tenebrais posted:

Guess they're not taking alumina solution out of the aluminium chain then. If they're trying to simplify it... I guess they might remove the aluminium scrap step? Go straight from solution to ingots. And/or maybe taking the petroleum coke out of the process and replace it with something else.

Judging by its design description aluminium casings will probably require rubber. I'd imagine they're getting dropped into the supercomputer/RCU recipes.
Looking forward to seeing what else they're adding in to use these things.

Refineries are already able to form ingots, through the Pure alternate recipes. Removing the need for added Silica to turn the Scrap into Ingots would remove the need for a Foundry and its two inputs for that step, and if a step is just a material used for nothing at all else, running from a Refinery to a Smelter...well, do we lose anything from Satisfactory we don't already get plenty of from the process of building a miner on a node and connecting it to Smelter blocks somehow?

I would really like an alt-Furnace with one liquid and one conveyor input, maybe with the output on the other side or the centerline, but otherwise with the same model and collision size--or gently caress, just an alt-Refinery which is similarly LONG but not so god drat TALL, so that I could conceivably retrofit an existing Smelter floor which already has a manufacturing floor on top of it with the Pure recipes

A Moose posted:

I've finally gotten to the final tier of the christmas event, and wow I really misjudged the scale of what I'd have to do to make 500 stars in a reasonable timeframe. I have like 1-2 of every machine overclocked to hell and back because the building I made for my christmas factory is too small

Based on the escalation from start to the gold-star MAM unlock (and the escalation from T0 to T7), I am planning on at least doubling my current present-forest block and quadrupling all intermediates up to the wreaths (including spillover for cans on cans of the ornament packs, as I'm maniacally replacing every single cable in my entire physical plant with string lights, everywhere I go), and that's for a scenario where I'm leaving poo poo running while I go make dinner or address other kid stuff.

Fortunately I've done more exploration in terms of going through parts of the map as well as specifically hunting after hard drives and slugs than any previous run, so before the event dropped I actually had a full stack of power crystals I left with my personal-storage stuff to conserve the inventory slot. Even with the existing setup I still have like 70 or 80, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do it all with the minimum number of machines and still have spare.

What overclocking really saves you is time setting up the production chain for Manufacturer blocks! The space you save is an irreducible extra component of also saving time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just got into this game and it is a blast, I prefer the hands on feel vs the command queue in oxygen not included.

I think I’m just tier 2 now, churning put advanced wiring and plating for the space elevator. My strategy has evolved a few times, but it’s fun.

Is there a way to get ladders/vertical conveyers through the floor? Is this a later unlock? It’s kind of a pain when building 3+ story factories.

Also are the poison cloud areas with the stone pillars just always poison or can you clear them out? Might just make a big box around them if not. Got one kind of close to my space elevator, bad planning on my part.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Is there a way to get ladders/vertical conveyers through the floor? Is this a later unlock? It’s kind of a pain when building 3+ story factories.

Also are the poison cloud areas with the stone pillars just always poison or can you clear them out? Might just make a big box around them if not. Got one kind of close to my space elevator, bad planning on my part.

You pretty much have to leave a full foundation hole for conveyors, other than sometimes filling with the diagonal corner pieces. But that doesn't always look good. There's a thing called the "foundation frame" in the awesome shop that often looks good as a vertical shaft for conveyor lifts if the main thing you want is better aesthetics. And the other method is to put a wall hole on the side of your factory, then run lifts up & down the outside.

Vertical factories are a bit annoying until you get to oil tech. My method is to build a stairwell and put a jump pad at the bottom as the express elevator. Jump pads now only consume power while they're recharging, so it's actually quite reasonable to hook them to a temporary bio burner while you're building.

The termite mound poison things are permanent. The flower things that stand up and spread poison can be removed with explosives. Also, walls don't block the poison clouds. If all you want is to keep yourself from wandering into the fart clouds it works, but you can't reduce the AoE.

The space elevator isn't permanent BTW. You can disassemble it like anything else if you want to reposition.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

You pretty much have to leave a full foundation hole for conveyors, other than sometimes filling with the diagonal corner pieces. But that doesn't always look good. There's a thing called the "foundation frame" in the awesome shop that often looks good as a vertical shaft for conveyor lifts if the main thing you want is better aesthetics. And the other method is to put a wall hole on the side of your factory, then run lifts up & down the outside.

Vertical factories are a bit annoying until you get to oil tech. My method is to build a stairwell and put a jump pad at the bottom as the express elevator. Jump pads now only consume power while they're recharging, so it's actually quite reasonable to hook them to a temporary bio burner while you're building.

The termite mound poison things are permanent. The flower things that stand up and spread poison can be removed with explosives. Also, walls don't block the poison clouds. If all you want is to keep yourself from wandering into the fart clouds it works, but you can't reduce the AoE.

The space elevator isn't permanent BTW. You can disassemble it like anything else if you want to reposition.

I don't care for the awesome shop mechanic because it seems like tickets take forever to get. I don't have a lot of scrap to dump I guess. Does it pay out more if you send refined stuff in? Like is it worth just sending in ingots if I don't need em etc.

I tried putting a jump pad at the bottom of the stairwell but it didn't seem to fit, do you have it lower so it doesn't hit the stairwell?

Debating just starting fresh with all the lessons learned from my first playthrough, haven't gotten too far but a lot of stuff is kind of "oh now I know how I should have done that".

Kind of wish there was an in game map too. Is there some technical reason why games like this and Subnautica don't have them or is it more of a design slight of hand thing about the map size. Subnautica would have been more difficult with depth/caves too I suppose.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Satisfactory has an in-game map but you have to unlock the tech through the MAM.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

priznat posted:

I don't care for the awesome shop mechanic because it seems like tickets take forever to get. I don't have a lot of scrap to dump I guess. Does it pay out more if you send refined stuff in? Like is it worth just sending in ingots if I don't need em etc.

[url="https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/AWESOME_Sink#Points_generated_per_item"]The wiki has a list of how much each item is worth to the sink[/url]. Ingots are worth very little. Even just turning iron ingots into rods or plates will double their value to the sink and later items become even more valuable.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

priznat posted:

I was exactly the same originally. After a while I started sending overflow items down to the AWESOME Sink because they were piling up so much.

I feel like when you start getting into Tier 3 & 4, you start to think of how to operate at scale, and the urge to completely start over is really high but it also forces you to reconsider factory layouts so you'll naturally go through that trial and error a few times until you get something that makes sense for you.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you're still in tier 2, it's probably not worth worrying much about the sink until you've got coal power in tier 3. Resources are infinite, so what you're really spending to process stuff is power, which can be measured in the amount of wood and leaves you have to harvest. Once you pass the first space elevator tier and unlock coal power then your power generation is also an infinite resource and the only practical limit is the amount of stuff you want to set up. Once you hit that point there's no cost at all to tapping a couple of iron nodes and making a modular frame factory to feed into the sink, since more advanced parts give exponentially more points than more basic ones.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

PalaNIN posted:

I feel like when you start getting into Tier 3 & 4, you start to think of how to operate at scale, and the urge to completely start over is really high but it also forces you to reconsider factory layouts so you'll naturally go through that trial and error a few times until you get something that makes sense for you.

People need to embrace their early-game jank more. I'm 400 hours in building a mega factory in the desert which will produce ~95 adaptive control units per minute, but I still have my HUB under the arch in the beginner biome surrounded by mk.1 spaghetti. Machines are placed directly on the ground without foundations and without any regard to the correct number of machines required for any part of the production line. The game map is big enough that you can always just find nodes somewhere else and progressively work on making your builds more efficient, the only time you need to tear stuff down is if later on you need specific nodes for rare materials which are being used up by earlier projects.

I think a lot of the reason people start over is just not realizing how big the game world is since you don't have a map for a while. Once you get to oil production and are forced to explore the scale becomes more clear.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
For the other people, I think what he meant by tier 2 was Phase 2, in the space elevator, not tier 2 in the hub. Otherwise he wouldn't be making Automated Wiring yet.

priznat posted:

Once you are on coal power, the thing to do is set up your factories so they dump their excess produce into a sink and just leave them running constantly. The more "work" a thing takes, the better it is for points. So for example make iron ingots into modular frames and then throw those away.

If you're up to steel, encased industrial beams are very good points/MJ and versatile frameworks are also decent. But the best early-game ticket source, if you've discovered quartz, is just mining quartz, turning it into quartz crystals, and dumping them straight into the bin. Quartz crystals are worth great points for something that needs a pittance of power to make.

And the other thing to do is explore in the early game for hard drive sites, as soon as you have the tractor and/or blade runners. Some of the stuff you can find sitting around crash sites is pretty much only good to turn into tickets. Heatsinks in particular are excellent ticket bait -- they're worth a ton of points and they don't make anything useful, so hoarding them is a waste. Some other advanced goods I would never throw away, because they allow you to sequence-break a bit. For example, having a stash of computers means you can do rails before oil, which is nice because oil is the first real PITA.

priznat posted:

I tried putting a jump pad at the bottom of the stairwell but it didn't seem to fit, do you have it lower so it doesn't hit the stairwell?
Put the jump pad first in the center of the foundation, then pace the stairs on it. The stairs have pretty forgiving clipping behavior. Then you'll probably have to fiddle with it a bit to find the rotation that allows you to use the jump pad without just hitting your head on the stairs.

It's annoying but different objects have different placement rules about clipping, and it only works in one direction. For example, mergers & splitters are extremely lax, you can put them intersecting a wall or basically inside other stuff. But once the merger is down, you can't place a more normal building clipping into it. So you have to put things with restrictive rules down first and then the things that are nice.

I wish they'd relax a bit about clipping rules in general.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good call on just keeping the save and not worrying about starting over, I kept on chugging and discovered a big oil patch.

However it’s pretty far from the main base across some pretty rugged hills. I’ve ramped most of the route I use the truck to go through, but was trying to decide the best way to being oil or refined products to my base:

1) pipes with pumps
2) encapsulate and conveyor it
3) encapsulate and truck it with autopilot (I haven’t tried autopiloting yet though and worry it may be janky)
4) refine in place and do 2/3 with the products

Any thoughts?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real option is to just build your new base there, imo. If there's no metal nearby, conveyor it in. Much easier than moving liquids.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The real option is to just build your new base there, imo. If there's no metal nearby, conveyor it in. Much easier than moving liquids.

That’s what I was afraid of, haha. I will make a kick rear end tube transport between em though.

I can’t wait to get the controls to switch items on conveyors to do a big sorter.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

i have just built a mega tower of 40x 21 foundations. I set up space for two rows of constructors / assemblers / manufacturers and just build up when i run out of room. it has worked out pretty well.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

priznat posted:

That’s what I was afraid of, haha. I will make a kick rear end tube transport between em though.

The thing about the fluid transport imo is as long as youre making sure you dont run out of energy you are ok. late tier 6 i ran out of power and it was a BITCH to get the water pipes pressurized again to get coal power working again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its good practice to have all your power-relevant poles be connected to the main grid by a single connection. So if you flip the breaker you can disconnect that single line, power the new mini grid with biomass, and get up and running with minimal effort. The first time it happens, you can even leave the biomass burners up to make it easier if it happens again

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like to keep my coal mines and water pumps on a separate electricity grid with as many dedicated powerplants as it takes to run them

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

i have just built a mega tower of 40x 21 foundations. I set up space for two rows of constructors / assemblers / manufacturers and just build up when i run out of room. it has worked out pretty well.

Depending on how you set up your rows of constructors, I find it way easier to extend along the same row instead of going up to a new level. I like to use new levels for crafting each new type or types of items

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One design I intend to try when I come back to this game (probably at official release) is having, say, all my plates go into the same box, intentionally having more production than use. So iron usage will be prorated by the amount of plates I actually need, and when the box fills up it'll spill over into rod production or something. But by having the box, I can always have some to grab when I need a fee stacks for building. Basically, a unification of plates for future refinement and plates as a finished product into the same set of machines

Obviously you can't have literally all your plate production go into the same boxes because you'll run into the conveyer capacity but the general idea of reusing the production which goes into boxes as production for further recipes is not something I did at all in my factories

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It'll probably be a lot more relevant for high end but not top end products like computers

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I much prefer to set up builds for basic resources at the deposits themselves then belt those to my central production facilities/nearby factories I’ve set up specifically for things like heavy frames. I’ve got in to the habit of staking out a good spot near the resources I need and doing a megabuild there for that sort of thing. It gives me something to do without bloating my main factory so much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

priznat posted:

Good call on just keeping the save and not worrying about starting over, I kept on chugging and discovered a big oil patch.

However it’s pretty far from the main base across some pretty rugged hills. I’ve ramped most of the route I use the truck to go through, but was trying to decide the best way to being oil or refined products to my base:

1) pipes with pumps
2) encapsulate and conveyor it
3) encapsulate and truck it with autopilot (I haven’t tried autopiloting yet though and worry it may be janky)
4) refine in place and do 2/3 with the products

Any thoughts?

5) Trains

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tamba posted:

5) Trains

This is something I haven’t unlocked yet, but I’m wondering what the benefit of the train is over a conveyor.. I guess you can ride it too, can it load a truck as well?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You belt items or pump fluids into a box at the train station (2 inputs per train car). That then gets loaded onto the train, which automatically drives to its destination, where the cargo is put into the output station. You can then belt/pump it out from there (again, 2 outputs per train car).
You can use any number of train cars (might need multiple locomotives per train if it's too heavy). And at least right now you can put multiple trains on the same track because there's no collision between trains, essentially getting you infinite throughput at the cost of electricity.

You can ride and manually control them if you want.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 25, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh cool that’s a nice way to send the items to whatever destination before there are any sorting controls.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

The thing about the fluid transport imo is as long as youre making sure you dont run out of energy you are ok. late tier 6 i ran out of power and it was a BITCH to get the water pipes pressurized again to get coal power working again

Clark Nova posted:

I like to keep my coal mines and water pumps on a separate electricity grid with as many dedicated powerplants as it takes to run them

There is a critical difference between overloading your grid and running out of fuel. If you have merely gone over your power capacity it's never a problem to get your power restarted, because all the generators still have coal + water / fuel / nuke juice in their buffers. You don't need to get all the pumps powered first or anything like that to solve it. Just reduce power consumption and flip the switch.

If you run out of fuel, so the buffers in your generators are dry, that's when you're boned. And that should never happen if you can do the basic math for how much fuel each generator consumes, times number of generators in the powerplant, and make sure your supply covers that total.

The separate auxiliary grid is a neat idea, but it's also a lot of work to lay out a second worldwide grid. And you still have to do the math and get it right to have a 100% solid grid. But now instead of a simple Fuel*Gens=Supply calculation, you also need to keep a running tally of all the machinery you install to the aux grid. If your aux grid isn't stable your main grid won't be either, it'll just be easier to recover.

Tamba posted:

You can ride and manually control them if you want.

Also you can ride trains and have the autopilot turned on at the same time, unlike cars. So if you want to get somewhere you can make a locomotive, get in, set the destination, and sit back to enjoy the ride. Or get up to make yourself a drink.

Yeet cannons are way faster, but a nicely laid out rail line is a very relaxing way to travel.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Did the engine upgrade patch come out yet or no? I don't see any mention of it recently.

Thinking of firing up a new world over the holiday break.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I actually thought of starting a spreadsheet to track all the production lines from mining to end product to properly optimize, laff

I was playing cyberpunk2077 and marvelling over the massive pipes in some of the industrial areas. And then I realized I would rather be building on to my factory.

This game has really got me, man.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rather than setting up an auxiliary grid I prefer to make sure I'm producing at least as much power supply stuff as the generators are able to consume. The pipes/belts supplying your generators are only going to run dry if they're not meeting demand. While a healthy power grid is never going to need every watt a generator can output, and therefore that supply will always be at least a little backed up, it means I never have to worry about needing to get supply lines back online before the rest of the grid.

You can work out what the max consumption is from their control panels, but for reference:

A coal generator consumes 45m3 of water and either 15 coal / 7.143 compacted coal / 25 petroleum coke per minute
A fuel generatoer consumes 15m3 of fuel, 12m3 of liquid biofuel or 4.5m3 of turbofuel per minute
A nuclear generator consumes 300m3 of water and 0.2 fuel rods per minute

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So I haven't been doing the christmas event, because with no travel to see family for the holidays I'm not feeling so jolly. Despite how much I like the christmas light wires it was making me depressed. Maybe I'll go back to it on new years.

Instead I went and finally colonized the oil islands. This is the first refinery setup I've done with some architecture -- everything else has been refineries on flat platforms.

in: ~900 oil
74 refineries, using polymer resin alt -> residual rubber for the main production chain
out: 840 rubber, 160+ plastic, 240 petcoke, 100 fuel, and some slack

Uses something like 2.8 GW at 100%, while generating about 1GW. But I haven't even run it full blast yet because I haven't built the factory that will use all that rubber. It was supposed to go into heatsinks & radio control units, but with recipes changing I'm holding off on that until update 4.

Lower floor:

Upper floor:

Actually made a circuit breaker and double grid inside, since 3GW is enough to be a substantial fraction of my 12GW grid. Right pole connects to the fuel generators & fuel processing system, center connects to the main grid through the train station (and up to the hypercannon deck), left pole to the main production machines. That way I can turn the bulk of the factory on and off without unpowering the support & travel parts.

And this is the bit that I'm quite pleased with. The first stage refining crude oil is mostly polymer resin, with additional heavy oil refineries to keep the fuel and petcoke supplied even if rubber isn't being used. All the stuff in this pic works to prioritize those two outputs such that either side won't be choked on its secondary product. IE, if more heavy oil is needed those refineries will never be blocked by their polymer resin, and vice versa. This should make output completely flexible while preventing jams, no matter what the demand.

(I really like the polymer resin alternate, it's the 2nd best after diluted+recycled for output efficiency while using 1/2 the refineries. Check it out if you want to build fewer refineries.)

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I built my first "gently caress this, I'm tired of running out of power" turbofuel setup, and it's also my first real shot at architecture in Satisfactory. Surprisingly relaxing to plan things out, and put up catwalks for no real reason other than aesthetics. Trying to figure out how to put in walkways and stairs alongside all the pipelines and conveyors was fun.
I built it with the fuel burners on the bottom floor, turbofuel refineries above that, then fuel refineries, then coke assemblers. Built from the top down, then I found out when I got to the bottom floor that I didn't plan the footprint/elevation of the ground floor well enough, so now the terrain makes about 50% of my ground floor unusable for generators. Now I get to knock down the walls I just put up and expand.

Going by the above screenshots, I need to do some painting next. I haven't tried to color anything in 150+ hours of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish the game had a signage option.

Lately I have been doing separate buildings for one item, simple ones for iron plates and bigger ones for encased steel beams, trying to get maximum efficiency given the raw material inputs. Before I was doing a bit of a massive factory that I would reconfigure based on what I wanted to produce but that is a hassle to scale up.

Trying to decide if that is the best way for manufacturers or create subfactories for the inputs and feed to a large multi floor factory with manufacturers and smart splitters for the inputs. I have to crank out a lot of control modules for the tier jump and those take a lot!