Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
shane also is a post-release character so he actually has

character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I wish there was a way to get the dcburger portraits on Switch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I kinda dislike Shane’s arc that people apparently like so much because it is a depressed addict being fixed by someone, effectively

Depression and addiction are two things that nobody but the sufferer can “fix” because they are lifelong struggles that will continue no matter what your “fixer” happens to be doing that day. Environment and support structures are very important but the actual work and effort to self improve must be the sufferer’s responsibility and Shane doesn’t do the whole responsibility thing very well at any point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

what I’m saying here is #leahlife

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Coolguye posted:

what I’m saying here is #leahlife

Hashtag Krobuslife, but Leah is a close second just on account of her personal goals and aspirations being very in tune with the player's.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this for a few years but am thinking about starting a new game. Is there a guide or checklist somewhere with everything you need to get for bundles/events listed by season? I remember in my first playthrough there was a bunch of stuff I missed year 1 and had to wait until year 2 and it really set off my ocd.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
This is where I feel like there's a joke along the lines of #WhenRobin , but I also worry the internet has already made that horrible and creepy (and don't want to check)

A shame there's a mechanic reward behind marriage. Can Krobus give you a Stardrop too?

@Bakanogami : The stardew valley wiki is pretty good at most things, and/or the steam guides probably have something like that. Or go remixed community centre as an excuse for getting it wrong. :D

EDIT : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1269852282 From googling stardew valley bundles by season.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I broke down and bought it on pc because I can't wait for 1.5 mobile, goddamn the mines are hard without autoattack, I've been spoiled.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I kinda dislike Shane’s arc that people apparently like so much because it is a depressed addict being fixed by someone, effectively

Depression and addiction are two things that nobody but the sufferer can “fix” because they are lifelong struggles that will continue no matter what your “fixer” happens to be doing that day. Environment and support structures are very important but the actual work and effort to self improve must be the sufferer’s responsibility and Shane doesn’t do the whole responsibility thing very well at any point.

The game itself does a fair bit to acknowledge that he isn't 'fixed' just because you married him (he still has beer cans in part of the house, for example).

I do think it could go to better lengths to show that, though.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Hey did Alex's mom kill herself? Because they don't come right out and say it, but Alex says "my dad left and then my mom got sick and died," and his grandma kept a note that says "I'm sorry, don't be upset, I'm with Yoba now." Obviously it's ambiguous but I get a pretty strong vibe that she "got sick" with suicidal depression.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Decided I'll start a new farm on SD when the Switch update hits. I may marry Penny as I've yet to see her character story. Leah always comes across as more interesting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Haley is so easy to make happy that it's hard not to marry her.

She loves flowers that you pick up off the ground.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Bakanogami posted:

I haven't played this for a few years but am thinking about starting a new game. Is there a guide or checklist somewhere with everything you need to get for bundles/events listed by season? I remember in my first playthrough there was a bunch of stuff I missed year 1 and had to wait until year 2 and it really set off my ocd.

I found a pretty good one on steam, but there's a few caveats I want to mention.

First, it's (usually) not possible to complete the community center in the first year without cheating - some of the seeds you need (Red Cabbage being the biggest culprit) can only be bought on year 2+. The traveling cart sells random things which can include the year 2 and out-of-season goods, which allows you to finish some things early sometimes.

Second, with the new patch (if you're playing on PC) there's now option to use a semi-randomized set of community bundles when starting a new game. The guide I linked won't really help you there, you'll just need to have the wiki open if you really want to be sure you don't miss something (especially fish). You can even set it to require only items available in the first year, which may be exactly what you want.

As for events, I think everything important is marked on the calendar in the square and has a reminder message when it's time to go to the festival or whatever. The only really missable thing is a scene with Sam and his brother on the beach, which can only be done before Winter year 1. I can't think of anything else that's really time-sensitive the first year, aside from the usual seasonal crops, fish, and foraging. I guess the mechanics of the Luau and Grange Display are something you may want to look up in advance if you don't mind spoiling yourself on the mechanics.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 28, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LLSix posted:

Haley is so easy to make happy that it's hard not to marry her.

She loves flowers that you pick up off the ground.

this reminds me i should do some galaxy brain cogitation on what gifts make sense to haul around sometime soon, me and a friend are talking about a new 1.5 game where we just start at xp level 10s and 10MM g so we just gently caress around the whole time

i have to galaxy brain SOMETHING though or it wouldnt be me

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In 1.5 you can also play original community centre, and tick a box so the travelling cart is guaranteed to sell you a red cabbage seed (in time to grow it?) allowing a year 1 complete.

Don't know if the savegame analyzer for the cart still works how it used to if you want to super geek out.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I think you might need the greenhouse for it since I haven't found the red cabbage yet and its almost fall already. 99% sure I haven't missed a single traveling cart check.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Coolguye posted:

this reminds me i should do some galaxy brain cogitation on what gifts make sense to haul around sometime soon, me and a friend are talking about a new 1.5 game where we just start at xp level 10s and 10MM g so we just gently caress around the whole time

i have to galaxy brain SOMETHING though or it wouldnt be me

Maybe you can make it competitive and pick days to see who can make the most in a given day. Maybe limited by some activities or something.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Said analyzer:

https://mouseypounds.github.io/stardew-predictor/

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gamerofthegame posted:

the cowards never gave us robin

There are not so many happy (or, okay, relatively happy) marriages in Pelican Town that the game can afford to let you break up one of them!

I remember when CA did a poll to say 'which new marriage candidates should I add in the next patch' and I remain disappointed in myself that I didn't find some way to cheat to boost Sandy's vote total

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

Maybe you can make it competitive and pick days to see who can make the most in a given day. Maybe limited by some activities or something.

the first step is really to compute what it actually takes to get to various markers, which i actually don't know off the top of my head. loved gifts vs liked gifts, time to 8/10 hearts, etc. then it'd be a matter of figuring out what loved gifts are possible in various timeframes, who is most accessible, and blah blah blah

it'd be a fun exercise, but i don't have the brainpower for it right this second

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There are not so many happy (or, okay, relatively happy) marriages in Pelican Town that the game can afford to let you break up one of them!

I remember when CA did a poll to say 'which new marriage candidates should I add in the next patch' and I remain disappointed in myself that I didn't find some way to cheat to boost Sandy's vote total

Who won?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Katt posted:

Who won?

emily and shane

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

emily and shane

Shane huh. Well Shane is certainly a person I assume :v:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Shane’s the guy who sucks, plus he’s got depression

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'd say we really didn't need emily when we already had at least one quirky weird girl and arguably two, but we did need a badass business owner but i got outvoted on that too

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/717475373903011840?s=20

shane won by default because he was the only non-clint, non-old enough to literally be your character's father option

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Who would want to gently caress a depressed guy over a wizard, you can gently caress depressed guys any day.

Seriously, that poll is "three losers or a literal magician" what is wrong with people

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm amazed Clint was an option at all.

I don't know which would be more appropriate; Clint remaining the one adult you can't date as all the others get romance options added, or him being dateable but spending the whole relationship pining for Emily even after you're married.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

oh yeah @ mr. podunkian thank you for your continued work in providing new content!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tylana posted:

This is where I feel like there's a joke along the lines of #WhenRobin , but I also worry the internet has already made that horrible and creepy (and don't want to check)

I saw a playthrough of a mod on Youtube and they solved the problem of her character being required for scenes/shop by replacing her with her sister, which then made the sister married to (or at least living with) Demetrius! Robin was a new character with awkward heart events and was living with Leah

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Coolguye posted:

the first step is really to compute what it actually takes to get to various markers, which i actually don't know off the top of my head. loved gifts vs liked gifts, time to 8/10 hearts, etc. then it'd be a matter of figuring out what loved gifts are possible in various timeframes, who is most accessible, and blah blah blah

it'd be a fun exercise, but i don't have the brainpower for it right this second

I definitely set up a Google sheet for gifts and their ingredients. It doesn't include timings, but if you want it, PM me.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 28, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tylana posted:

A shame there's a mechanic reward behind marriage. Can Krobus give you a Stardrop too?

Pretty sure yes.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

I'm amazed Clint was an option at all.

I don't know which would be more appropriate; Clint remaining the one adult you can't date as all the others get romance options added, or him being dateable but spending the whole relationship pining for Emily even after you're married.

I think this is it. We all love to hate Clint and Pierre, just build more content around that. Waiting on the patch that lets you romance Pierre, Caroline, Robin, and Demetrius. A content mod I can get behind.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
also cackling that my cousin's stepdaughter is in love with Clint and she had to break the news that he is not pursuable

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Poque posted:

also cackling that my cousin's stepdaughter is in love with Clint and she had to break the news that he is not pursuable

How is it even possible to have that bad a taste in men.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
When will it be possible to steal Kent away and get to be woken up by your partner having random middle of the night PTSD attacks where Kent winds up screaming and crying until the sun comes up and you get half energy the next day

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

rotinaj posted:

When will it be possible to steal Kent away and get to be woken up by your partner having random middle of the night PTSD attacks where Kent winds up screaming and crying until the sun comes up and you get half energy the next day

We can lump it into my update. We'll call it Stardew: Homewrecking

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Since we've apparently got someone working on the game here, it's time to inundate them with implausible suggestions and then ruthlessly argue over their prospective values, so with enough pressure we can possibly make some diamonds out of so much coal.

Mine would be the ability to built up the town a bit. I've heard of the community overhauls that upgrade the trailer into a house, that's kind of what I'm thinking.
Maybe open an art place in town where you can buy leah's art or display something you've found in the mines for some cash, or someone else with a farm that you can help out with random tasks and they eventually get up and running, and then you unite and force pierre to pay more for goods.

Or an event where access to outside world gets shut down and you have to grow enough food for the whole town for like a week, with warning so you can build up to it (but that might be too dark).

PS: Thanks for your efforts at making this game, it's really great and it's hard to come up with things to improve it since yous've already thought of everything

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i like to think that our resident dev has plenty of feedback from just seeing how the eclectic bunch of morons and psychos in this thread disassemble the game over and over

and before anyone asks if i'm a moron or a psycho, you all goddamn well know i'm both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The single male characters include four different variations on J. Random Goon, a stereotypical dumb jock, a kid that presents as being about 15, a self-loathing alcoholic, a few geriatrics, and The Wizard.

And Gus.

WHY THE HELL ISN'T GUS ROMANCEABLE.