Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’ve been playing orbus and the amount of kids I hear making swooshing noises with their mouth while they swing their weapons is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

Any Oculus store exclusive games that are worth checking out via Revive? My Index is set to arrive sometime this week.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ho fan posted:

Any Oculus store exclusive games that are worth checking out via Revive? My Index is set to arrive sometime this week.

Lone Echo is excellent and works very well via Revive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There was a kid in Rec room paintball last night who would go “hiiiiiiiiyyyyyeeeee” every time he would kill anyone and then after he took their (my) weapons he’d loudly go “byyyyyeeeeeeee” as he walked off.

I can’t even get mad at that

Then in Pokerstars there was a woman on a quest or quest 2 with a low battery. She announced when she got in the room that her HMD was almost dead and we were all like “ok..........?”

Then almost immediately she grabbed for her cards and we all heard a loud *thunk* over the mic and we realized what she meant. She was trapped close to the wall, tethered to her charger and was knocking into poo poo constantly.

It became a pretty good running joke at the table and she was cool about it

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 28, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zaphod42 posted:

For real. Way more fun and casual and social. Poker is tryhard competition and Blackjack is tryhard vs the dealer.

Craps is the poo poo and would be real fun to play with actual dice interactions and tossing. Everybody else can chat while the shooter is throwing and you can all cheer together when you hit big or all feel the same lows when you crap out.

I had to go back and quote this because I had a real friendly poker table last night and all I could think of all night was how awesome it'd be to play craps in this game. I sincerely hope that is at least a consideration for the game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There was a kid in Rec room paintball last night who would go “hiiiiiiiiyyyyyeeeee” every time he would kill anyone and then after he took their (my) weapons he’d loudly go “byyyyyeeeeeeee” as he walked off.

I can’t even get mad at that

Pavlov is pretty great for this. The first game I played a guy walked up to me and goes "You new?" I nodded and he said "Cool, hold out your gun" I did then he pulled the mag out of my gun and ran away giggling. It was amazing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lockback posted:

Pavlov is pretty great for this. The first game I played a guy walked up to me and goes "You new?" I nodded and he said "Cool, hold out your gun" I did then he pulled the mag out of my gun and ran away giggling. It was amazing.

I did something similar in stand out. Snuck up behind a dude and stole the Magid he tried to shoot me and it didn’t work. Hilarious.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Echo VR seems like it would be fairly fun as a competitive game if people besides 8 year olds played it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

hello internet posted:

Echo VR seems like it would be fairly fun as a competitive game if people besides 8 year olds played it.

There's skill based matchmaking that starts to kick in around level 10 or so, and then by the time you're level 17-18 the matchmaking is based solely on your MMR. By that point you avoid most of the kids since they are absolutely terrible

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Lockback posted:

I do this to all of my friends when they're new to Pavlov. Middle of a zombie match and I'll stand directly behind them and pull mags.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pokerstars is so much more fun when people at the table don't have voice chat and everybody communicates by vaguely gesturing at each other. It's like playing charades in between your hands.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
re: Echo VR, a single player with a decent idea of what to do can easily carry a bad team against another bad team, so you'll be out of the screaming child ranks in no time and paired with 40-50s who think you're smurfing.

Doesn't require anything fancy; Lemming just told me about grabbing other players and boosting yourself off them, and jumping IRL to dodge people in-game, and those are enough to make you an unstoppable force of nature in newbie games.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I decided to get a Quest 2 and I had made an old Facebook account a decade ago under a fake name because of some software that required a Facebook login and I had zero desire for a Facebook and oops now I need a Facebook account. What's the best way to do this and not get banned? Should I just use a new email or is having a government id enough to get past any problems or what?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

So I decided to get a Quest 2 and I had made an old Facebook account a decade ago under a fake name because of some software that required a Facebook login and I had zero desire for a Facebook and oops now I need a Facebook account. What's the best way to do this and not get banned? Should I just use a new email or is having a government id enough to get past any problems or what?

Same boat as you- I deactivated my FB account about two years ago and vowed to never go back to that hell site but whoops I just ordered a Quest 2 and now need to feed My Cognitive Data to Zuck. I just used a very old but legit email address to register for an account, maxed my privacy settings so that I can’t be found by anyone who would care to look, and liked a few pages to make it look more legit. Didn’t need to verify my identity or anything. I will only log in on a browser I use solely for FB and Oculus stuff.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you make something that looks legit (real name, not something like Suck My Zuckerdick or whatever) you should be OK, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, are there any gun stocks worth using for FPS like Onward?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Got my wife a Quest 2 for Xmas and she really likes the game The Room VR. What else is there on there that's of a similar quality?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Got my wife a Quest 2 for Xmas and she really likes the game The Room VR. What else is there on there that's of a similar quality?

"I expect you to die" is very good. More cartoony and not super long but really well polished. Moss is also excellent, not an escape room but puzzle game with a really good aesthetic. There's also Myst, of course.

For other puzzlers, not escape rooms, Shadow Point is pretty good, though the gimmick wears a bit thin. I want to try "The Under Presents", that may be straying away from what she may like though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Protube is the best.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Lockback posted:

"I expect you to die" is very good. More cartoony and not super long but really well polished. Moss is also excellent, not an escape room but puzzle game with a really good aesthetic. There's also Myst, of course.

For other puzzlers, not escape rooms, Shadow Point is pretty good, though the gimmick wears a bit thin. I want to try "The Under Presents", that may be straying away from what she may like though.

Huh, I never thought about it but Myst is definitely an escape room game. I'll check these out, thanks.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Same boat as you- I deactivated my FB account about two years ago and vowed to never go back to that hell site but whoops I just ordered a Quest 2 and now need to feed My Cognitive Data to Zuck. I just used a very old but legit email address to register for an account, maxed my privacy settings so that I can’t be found by anyone who would care to look, and liked a few pages to make it look more legit. Didn’t need to verify my identity or anything. I will only log in on a browser I use solely for FB and Oculus stuff.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you make something that looks legit (real name, not something like Suck My Zuckerdick or whatever) you should be OK, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

False names and info are great up until the point something goes wrong and you forget your password and fake birthday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ohtsam posted:

False names and info are great up until the point something goes wrong and you forget your password and fake birthday.

Just stick it in KeyPass, or something similar, put the fake details in the notes section, and never worry about it again.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I was fully expecting to love watching movies in VR and it has completely exceeded my expectations. Maybe the novelty will wear off eventually but I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Interstellar on back to back days in Big Screen and I can't remember the last time I was so engrossed by a movie watching experience. It really does feel like you're sitting alone in an IMAX theater - especially if you use the Modern Cinema environment and sit a few rows closer to the screen than default.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I feel the sharpness of Quest 2 has definitely reached the level of good enough for casual watching of movies. FOV, comfort and black levels still aren't, but they're getting there!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I feel the sharpness of Quest 2 has definitely reached the level of good enough for casual watching of movies. FOV, comfort and black levels still aren't, but they're getting there!

If Rebuff Reality's VR Ears actually deliver as-promised you'll probably be drat-close to an experience as good as going to the cinema in a portable device. I'm also looking forward to the point that headset visual fidelity gets to the point of being that good :allears:.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thom and the Heads posted:

I was fully expecting to love watching movies in VR and it has completely exceeded my expectations. Maybe the novelty will wear off eventually but I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Interstellar on back to back days in Big Screen and I can't remember the last time I was so engrossed by a movie watching experience. It really does feel like you're sitting alone in an IMAX theater - especially if you use the Modern Cinema environment and sit a few rows closer to the screen than default.

Watch TV/movies in bed with the screen on the ceiling

It's just as good as I imagined it would be when I was a kid

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

"FORM" should scratch that itch I think. It's short but sweet, and pretty cheap right now.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

In addition to previously-mentioned games, Red Matter is pretty solid, has the best graphics on the Quest and a similar spooky-but-not-scary mood as The Room, just on Mars.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I really want to like watching movies but I get that little glare around the screen that kind of ruins it for me

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So, I just got a Quest 2 and have spent the last couple days getting acclimated to it. Thank you to those that answered my dumb questions earlier in the thread! I've been really enjoying the device so far and I can't wait for my prescription lenses to come in and make things a bit more comfortable.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Thom and the Heads posted:

I once got roped into watching a movie in some vrchat world that seemed to be hooked up to some nerds plex server and, just like watching a movie irl, I sat in the second row then passed out halfway in and only woke up at the very end. 10/10 realistic cinematic experience

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Floor Plan: Hands On Edition is a very simple room-scale game taking place in an elevator going between floors of a building to solve puzzles. It's very short but fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Unfortunately what we need is a VR Need for Speed Underground but it doesn't really exist.

i'm still holding out hope someone mods VR into NFSU2 somehow. i have no idea how i just wanna see it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

She could try The Under Presents, Virtual Virtual Reality and Shadow Point.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
bigscreen VR is a cool app but I couldn't get streaming working very well... when we were watching the same video file my friend kept getting an error about not having the right codec and when I was streaming from my computer there was a lot of stuttering, despite having a solid connection. I'm curious about trying it out in VR chat though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Lambda1VR app for quest is amazing! I sidequested my Q2 last night specifically for it and I am not disappointed.

As someone who (like most of us) has played HL1 about 400 times, just the opening tram ride, which at this point is nearly cliche, becomes this whole new experience in VR.

One of the things they really nailed with this port is the scale. The tram ride robots and canyons are appropriately huge and imposing. The test chamber looks cavernous.

As someone who is long past the point of being awed with HL1, this port is a fresh injection of what made the game great to begin with.

Also, I don’t know if this is something programmed into the port, or a standard feature oculus offers, but it does a really cool thing when you’re walking. If you just turn your head to look at something while walking, you keep walking in the same direction. If you turn your whole body while walking, your direction in-game turns too.

I tested this multiple times and the game can definitely can tell the difference between you turning your head and your body and does the appropriate thing

Also it gives you VR hands and ties the flashlight to them so you can get that appropriately spooky vibe in dark areas.

For a free port of a classic game, I’m highly impressed so far!

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
VRChat has open mic nights. I... Am... Home :unsmith:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I ran into some open mic standup nerd who was holding court in The Great Pug (public) like 3 or 4 months ago. Then I ran into the same guy on the same map a couple days ago doing freestyle rapping in the bathroom stall.

A Nerd of Many Talents.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I've been using an app called pigasus to stream my media from my desktop using SMB. I like it cause I can access my filesystem without having to maintain a library in plex or w/e and I think it uses VLC under the hood.

It works great but it costs ~6bux, isn't multiplayer, and only has one theater.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Star Wars Squadrons is pretty fun, but I really don't like that it requires an EA account. I like even less that it logs into EA every time I start it. It also gives me VR sickness like whoa.

Is there a way to modify joystick sensitivity? My aim jumps all over the place and Ties take a lot of killing in this game so I can't count on getting snap shots.

I love that we can shoot turrets off the big ships.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Has anyone had a weird problems with games seeming like they start but then just knock you back into SteamVR? I'm in the empty grid with just the game's small loading screen, it'll briefly put me into the game's main menu, but then after like 1 second it closes the game, and I'm back in the empty grid as it starts up Steam VR Home. A reboot seems to fix it each time, but it eventually reoccurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

LLSix posted:

Star Wars Squadrons is pretty fun, but I really don't like that it requires an EA account. I like even less that it logs into EA every time I start it. It also gives me VR sickness like whoa.

Is there a way to modify joystick sensitivity? My aim jumps all over the place and Ties take a lot of killing in this game so I can't count on getting snap shots.

I love that we can shoot turrets off the big ships.

Yup, go into controls and you'll see both gamepad and joystick sensitivities. Set it way lower than you think you need, and work up from here