Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im watching queens gambit and its intriguing how the tone is at odds with the text the story is played off as strong independent female character woke branding but if youre looking at whats actually happening the main character is a shut in weirdo whos only able to improve by ignoring her mothers terrible strong independent female character woke branding advice

tone always trumps text in what passes for the zeitgeist these days so im not even slightly surprised that its been described as it has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
The Death of 2020 on Netflix is a decent way to kill some time. Some funny bits, some do drag though. Hugh Grant is looking a lot like Michael Caine these days.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

im watching queens gambit and its intriguing how the tone is at odds with the text the story is played off as strong independent female character woke branding but if youre looking at whats actually happening the main character is a shut in weirdo whos only able to improve by ignoring her mothers terrible strong independent female character woke branding advice

tone always trumps text in what passes for the zeitgeist these days so im not even slightly surprised that its been described as it has been

i mean the branding of a movie doesnt really have to be very connected to the movie itself. the story (and the main character herself) is quite clearly not interested in the woke angle at all beyond a few early scenes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the main character uses her gender as a crutch anytime shes backed into a corner and the script goes out if its way to give her feminist zingers at the french press conference

i agree that the textual reading doesnt actually support this but its the same issue with walter white coming off like a badass because his awesome loving plans get more loving attention to detail than his toxic personality

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1343296426051325953?s=19

one of the boosters for Trump coup talking points is a dude who wrote a Dungeons & Dragons knock-off game, ran gaming website The Escapist, and managed Milo Yiannopoulous's brand (before his destruction at the hands of The Reagan Battalion).

the next evolution for Q will be intervening in OSR debates

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

the main character uses her gender as a crutch anytime shes backed into a corner and the script goes out if its way to give her feminist zingers at the french press conference

i agree that the textual reading doesnt actually support this but its the same issue with walter white coming off like a badass because his awesome loving plans get more loving attention to detail than his toxic personality

I'm kind of glad I've seen like two scenes of breaking bad, because one is the one where he kills jessie's girlfriend and my impression is that particular scene happens to be exactly what i need to know about walter white

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Lol.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/1342716929069305856

digging how this was apparently supposed to be seen as a compliment and not a burn

Death of the author rules.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/phontigallo/status/1343265695228899328?s=20

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

i like how this basically confirms box office doesnt actually matter their streaming revenue must be gangbusters if theyre confirming another sequel after the sudden hostility spike once people could actually see the movie

might not even be gangbusters; it might just be make-work

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

There is also the possibility that it's propaganda value outweighed its financial value.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

There is also the possibility that it's propaganda value outweighed its financial value.

dumb people who would say wonder woman is good already believe the stuff it preaches tho?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDCP8m78FhQ

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

dumb people who would say wonder woman is good already believe the stuff it preaches tho?

Everybody knows what Pepsi is, but that doesn't mean Pepsi Corporation can stop reinforcing their brand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Everybody knows what Pepsi is, but that doesn't mean Pepsi Corporation can stop reinforcing their brand.

Wasn't that actually a whole thing with a formerly omnipresent soda brand that stopped advertising and coke ate their lunch overnight? Moxie, I think it was?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/1342716929069305856

digging how this was apparently supposed to be seen as a compliment and not a burn

the replies are full of people who legitimately like superhero movies and think this is the first truly bad one theyve seen lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't that actually a whole thing with a formerly omnipresent soda brand that stopped advertising and coke ate their lunch overnight? Moxie, I think it was?

It could have been. It's presence has regressed in the past decades. The articles I have found on Moxie seem to suggest that it was a preferred regional brand in the New England area, but under Capitalism, that isn't good enough. As a global brand, Coke easily acquired it in 2018, and have made moves to discontinue it in 2020. So now nobody gets to have it. Yay!!!

Profitability isn't enough. Your corporation has to grow like a malignant tumor, or it will be devoured.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Stairmaster posted:

its not so much propaganda for those involved as it is indulgence and celebration of their incredibly gross politics

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the modern ruling class is so stupid that most propaganda is unintentional and incidental

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm kind of glad I've seen like two scenes of breaking bad, because one is the one where he kills jessie's girlfriend and my impression is that particular scene happens to be exactly what i need to know about walter white

ive seen the whole series and tbh people who think walter is cool or awesome confuse me. Hes one of the most pathetic people ever put to screen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i probably wasnt the only one who was baffled by the bidens campaign apparent love of veep to the point of making julia louis dreyfuss a campaign surrogate because after all the show makes it clear that shes a horrible person who only wants political power to validate her selfish narcissism

well im watching early veep and im realizing that we only have this impression because of late veep which gets into actual details about what the title character wants to do with power early veep is much better about being deliberately vague when it comes to what any of its characters want to accomplish

theres a constant undercurrent of its miserable characters resorting to dumb feel good bullshit to massage poll numbers and appease the idiot troglodytes who vote its extremely condescending but i could easily see how someone with a similar real life job could empathize with the deliberately extreme and angry situations presented in the show the same way a real life officer worker could empathize with dilbert

the part thats making me feel somewhat alarmed is that all the public relations crap selina meyers team runs to try and make her likable maps really obviously onto the joe biden presidential campaign with its nonstop emphasis on empathy with zero interest in quantifying what thats even supposed to mean

so many parts of the show from the backbiting nature of the staff to the grotesquely cynical way they manage public relations to the express hostility they feel about being challenged on anything to the casual way theyll make viciously racist and sexist comments to even the way one character is presented as having an unhealthy sexual fixation on selina myers all comes off as stuff that joe biden could plausibly actually believe regarding his own staff

i think biden and his people like veep for the same basic reasons they like the west wing its just a sitcom for them as opposed to a sorkinesque dramedy and the fact that the characters never accomplish any positive good or even try to is completely besides the point i mean hell the west wing has the exact same issue so why would that be an indictment of veep

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

also she's a serious addict, like gobbling down massive amounts of pills from the age of nine, and they go as far as to represent it as a big part of her relationship with chess. i kinda fell off of the show towards the end, partly because it felt like they were never going to have her truly reckon with it and she was just going be like actually, no drugs now and be totally good

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/briannawu/status/1343401734144733184?s=21

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A white woman from Boston using "y'all"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The best comic sequels this century were ... Dark knight, X-men 2, Spidey 2, blade 2, days of future past? Slim pickings post 2010

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

The best comic sequels this century were ... Dark knight, X-men 2, Spidey 2, blade 2, days of future past? Slim pickings post 2010

Thor Ragnarok

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

vyelkin posted:

Thor Ragnarok

I meant solely #2 movies , woops. I suppose winter soldier is tops for mcu #2s

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 19:06 on Dec 28, 2020

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

where do rocks thrown from the moon rank on this list

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Also Dark Souls 2 sucked

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

Also Dark Souls 2 sucked

It's the best souls game but a bit bloated. Kind of like bvs ultimate cut is the best dc movie (but bloated)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wonder Woman 3 will be better. It will have the bad guy be from Iraq and he will torture American soldiers in Abu Ghraib

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

-Avengers 2 could have been an acceptable end to the franchise, honestly. That movie was the exact waterline for when Marvel movies started to wear out their welcome.

-Thor 2 was bland, but inoffensive. No defense of real world warcrimes!

-It wasn't called Wolverine 2, it was called The Wolverine. God get it right

-Was Amazing Spiderman 2 the Andrew Garfield one? If it was, at least it didn't try to replace Uncle Ben with Tony Stark

-Iron Man 2 was a mess, but it had some nice action scenes directed by Genedy Tarakovsky.

-Didn't see Ant Man 2, but I know for a fact that the Marvel Geek Film Squad slathered on about how great it was when it came out.

-Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was actually a good movie. gently caress off Brianna.

From what I have seen, all of these movies seem better than Wonder Woman 1984.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Wolverine, Ant-man and the Wasp, and Guardians of the galaxy 2 are all good. :confused:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

x-men origins wolverine is the best x men movie though

it's so loving bad

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

It's the best souls game but a bit bloated. Kind of like bvs ultimate cut is the best dc movie (but bloated)

nah, it was thoroughly hosed by FROMSOFT's insistence on it being a PvP game first and foremost, a sin they revisited again with 3.

i don't hate ds pvp, but i hate the multiple, obvious areas that are like "ok and this is where you push the START STREAMING button for your weekly fight club because twitch is a new and expanding market that we need to capture" and the whole NG+ gimmick being...literal red phantoms added to bosses, the direction they were going is clear as day, and the PvE experience suffered for it, imo

the entire bonfire ascetic system was specifically so you could target areas to get PvP-build necessary drops from. they sort of un-hosed it with the DLC area, at least in 2, but imo it was very clear that DS2 was a labor of love for DSPvP fans, with a half-baked PvE experience stuck onto it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Xcom 2 was worse than xcom 1

Hmm

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Xcom 2 was worse than xcom 1

Hmm

Dunno if Terror from the Deep is worse, per se. Definitely harder, and with some bullshit, but the setting, the whole underwater missions and poo poo, was pretty excellent.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the entire superhero craze can be traced back to Spiderman 2, X2, and The Dark Knight lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if obnly movies could be made without superheroes in them. oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ardent Communist posted:

Dunno if Terror from the Deep is worse, per se. Definitely harder, and with some bullshit, but the setting, the whole underwater missions and poo poo, was pretty excellent.

Terror from the deep is a worse game but it isn't really because it's that much harder, but because every gun is worse to use except the blaster bomb equivalent. It's also infuriatingly long, a problem it shares with the two big openxcom mods(x-com files and x-piratez).