Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hey while we're on the topic of minor things that bug us, it has always bothered me that on the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies little Vincent is all "I want to see the rare green jelly!" but then when the cutscene starts the green jelly floats up to me and I don't have any way to get the poor kid's attention to show him the thing he was clearly psyched about

Let me point out the rare green jelly to Vincent, dangit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That bit's just there to make it extra clear that The Farmer is the protagonist

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Gus would be an amazing romance option. He's one of my faves. Would love to see Gus/Sandy added.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Maybe a way to improve the hate we all have for certain characters, they could give small discounts when at high heart levels. People would possibly appreciate clint or Pierre if they got marginally better prices for the effort of getting to know them.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Make the joja manager dateable

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Let me marry the Dwarf you cowards!

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I want to steal Marnie from Lewis out of pure spite

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My wife has been systematically taking all the villagers to movies to see te he cutscenes, and when she took Clint, he goes all 'you can lay your head on my shoulder if you get tired.'

Jesus christ, dude.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hey while we're on the topic of minor things that bug us, it has always bothered me that on the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies little Vincent is all "I want to see the rare green jelly!" but then when the cutscene starts the green jelly floats up to me and I don't have any way to get the poor kid's attention to show him the thing he was clearly psyched about

Let me point out the rare green jelly to Vincent, dangit

"Haley, I'm heading out to the Moonlight Jelly Festival."
"That's cool, Honey. I'll meet you there."
"Do you want me to grab your camera on the way out? It's no trouble, I'll just dump these forty tons of rocks into the door chest and take it for you."
"I don't want my camera in your backpack with all the rocks and mud and bug meat! I know where it is. I'm not going to forget it this time."
"Okay, if you're sure..."

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I think you might need the greenhouse for it since I haven't found the red cabbage yet and its almost fall already. 99% sure I haven't missed a single traveling cart check.

Nah, you never really "need" the greenhouse; Granny Evelyn will teach you how to make garden pots. Just grow the cabbage in your living room in winter if you gotta. The pots are also lifesavers if say, a quest requires you to hide a buncha beets in the mayor's fridge and it ain't beet season

vvvvv: dang, you're right, she won't do that til you have the greenhouse. I thought you just had to be sufficient pals with her.

chairface fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 29, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

chairface posted:

Nah, you never really "need" the greenhouse; Granny Evelyn will teach you how to make garden pots. Just grow the cabbage in your living room in winter if you gotta. The pots are also lifesavers if say, a quest requires you to hide a buncha beets in the mayor's fridge and it ain't beet season

That unlocks at the same time as the greenhouse though, doesn't it?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

I kinda dislike Shane’s arc that people apparently like so much because it is a depressed addict being fixed by someone, effectively

Depression and addiction are two things that nobody but the sufferer can “fix” because they are lifelong struggles that will continue no matter what your “fixer” happens to be doing that day. Environment and support structures are very important but the actual work and effort to self improve must be the sufferer’s responsibility and Shane doesn’t do the whole responsibility thing very well at any point.

It's been a while since I have played through and seen all of Shanes arc, but isn't it now that he has you as a friend and support, he checks himself into rehab (after nearly killing himself via pills), and decides to quit drinking? I always read it as less that the player character fixes him, but now that you are his best friend and give him support he can take the measures to try and "fix" himself. Its a wee farm game, so its hard to get concepts like that across in the small bits of dialogue we do get, and its a very long and complex issue like you mentioned, but that was my read on it.

anyway: leah for life

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That unlocks at the same time as the greenhouse though, doesn't it?

Yeah, he's just saying you don't need to waste greenhouse space on low value poo poo like red cabbage and beets. If you have the greenhouse, you have the means to grow that stuff in your house or a barn or whatever.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I'd totally be down for an optional 'rival' AI character much like ”Blue" from the original pokemon games: always in competition with you, tries to beat you at events, attempts to date whomever you're going after etc.

I like competition and no one in this town can give me a run for my money, even Pierre is a pushover.
:c00lbert:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think it would be pretty cool if the default "pairing" of the person you're dating (Sebastian if Abigail, Leah if Elliott, etc.) started getting standoffish with you at around the 6 heart point and downright cold past 8 hearts. But that probably doesn't jive with the whole super chill vibe of Stardew.

Is there really no mod wherein Clint tries to murder you if you're wooing Emily? There should be.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Glad to see this got another update.

Only thing I ever wanted with this game was the opportunity to slow down time just a touch. I think time pressure is cool as a mechanic, I just thought it went a tiny bit too fast in this.

I’m on console, so no mods. But did CA ever add any options like that?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Not AFAIK, which is a shame. The time scaling option in Portia is really nice (especially if you are bad at navigating.)

On a similar note, a rival does sound cool. Higgins in Portia is both a motivation to do the core loop, and a way of knowing when you are 'doing well' and can afford to slack off and chat with people more.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
when can i romance a pumpkin

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

rotinaj posted:

please do not sleep with the puckins

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

rotinaj posted:

As soon as you buy a carving knife

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

rotinaj posted:

the pumpkin spice craze is out of control

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I hollered with joy so loudly I woke up my cat

it was 1:30 AM gametime

I am so pumped

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My wild wish for this game would be any way to get more townsfolk on my farm besides my wife and Robin when I build stuff. I know that they generally can't because they aren't programmed to negotiate player-placed objects, so I'd always figured you could build like a picnic table pavilion thing on your land that townsfolk would just pop in for little picnics and dates and stuff at. And if you went to talk to them, they'd just have random compliments about the place, I guess.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Legit congrats here. Haven't got there yet.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I hollered with joy so loudly I woke up my cat

it was 1:30 AM gametime

I am so pumped

Honestly impressed. I've never made it! Is it just a matter of bombs and luck, or is there any strategy you can share?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Akratic Method posted:

Honestly impressed. I've never made it! Is it just a matter of bombs and luck, or is there any strategy you can share?
Bombs, high luck day, food like pumpkin soup that gives you a luck boost and craft a few stairs (I think max is five to still get the 'honorable' dialogue) to skip any monster floors.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think it would be pretty cool if the default "pairing" of the person you're dating (Sebastian if Abigail, Leah if Elliott, etc.) started getting standoffish with you at around the 6 heart point and downright cold past 8 hearts. But that probably doesn't jive with the whole super chill vibe of Stardew.

Is there really no mod wherein Clint tries to murder you if you're wooing Emily? There should be.

There's a hint of this in the game, if you have 6+ hearts with Leah then Elliott stops going to sit with her in the pub.
Makes me sad though 'cause I'd already married someone else, and now Leah spends those nights just drinking by herself :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m really super bad at combat in this game and have owned it since day 1 and the skull mine always kicks my rear end...

What I’m saying is bad props.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My strategy is download the mod that puts an elevator in Skull Cavern.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

My strategy is download the mod that puts an elevator in Skull Cavern.

:yeah:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i got down to floor 39 on my first skull cave run of this file with only using one staircase.... that's the power of excellent luck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I think starting a new farm for 1.5 was a mistake. Done the first year and have at least two more seasons until I finish the bundles because fall only had one rainy day all season and I never caught the fish I needed :negative:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Darkhold posted:

Bombs, high luck day, food like pumpkin soup that gives you a luck boost and craft a few stairs (I think max is five to still get the 'honorable' dialogue) to skip any monster floors.

Magic rock candy makes it a lot easier.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Personally I would love a patch that let us further invest in the community, like upgrading buildings/shops/places or additional community center bundle goals. Like if you completed the first set, the next year it resets with new goals and rewards. I always feel like once I've filled out the community center I've run out of carrots on the stick. Which is absolutely untrue, but my brain does a dumb.

Even just dumb things like a playground that keeps upgrading and each upgrade gives a bonus to rep from kid interactions, or upgrading the museum to include one of every item for display, blacksmith upgrades that gave you better luck on geodes, maybe helping out Pierre's shop have you access to better seeds or rarer/seasonal seeds.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does Gus even live in Stardew valley? I was under the assumption that he and Gunther lived elsewhere and just commuted in since they don't have, like, homes there or anything

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How would they even leave before the bus is fixed

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GlyphGryph posted:

Does Gus even live in Stardew valley? I was under the assumption that he and Gunther lived elsewhere and just commuted in since they don't have, like, homes there or anything

he has living quarters in the back of the bar if memory serves but i find myself doubting that now that i'm trying to type it out?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Coolguye posted:

he has living quarters in the back of the bar if memory serves but i find myself doubting that now that i'm trying to type it out?

If you go into the saloon immediately as it opens, you should see Gus coming down the hall behind the bar.

e. Gunther... I guess sleeps under the museum front counter? I don't think there's another door back there or anything and he doesn't move from that spot other than cutscenes right?

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 29, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are no bathrooms in Pelican Town MY IMMERSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The saloon has living quarters. The adventurer's guild guys have bunkbeds in the back. Gunther doesn't appear to have any place to sleep, but I can live with that because at least he kinda has a building that he can call his own, maybe he rolls out a futon

The one that gets me is the joja mart employee, does she sleep in the truck parked outside?? (The manager guy doesn't count, cause he's probably some kind of vampire)