Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That loving guy. I tried to Sparta kick him off the cliff (hey dude, do you want to try a leap of faith?), but it wasn't happening. I threw his corpse off instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

The Pathless is another good game for having beautifully expressive, adorable eagle companion.

Oh, that looks really nice and it somehow completely missed me. I'll have to look into it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The Pathless is another good game for having beautifully expressive, adorable eagle companion.

I've been waiting for this one, by the group that made one of my favorite games Abzu

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bony tony posted:

That loving guy. I tried to Sparta kick him off the cliff (hey dude, do you want to try a leap of faith?), but it wasn't happening. I threw his corpse off instead.

It’s been brought up here before but one of my favorite moments was that side quest where the woman is a huge bitch to you and at the end of the quest she’s stood right at the edge of the cliff.

They 100% did that so you could boot her rear end off

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s been brought up here before but one of my favorite moments was that side quest where the woman is a huge bitch to you and at the end of the quest she’s stood right at the edge of the cliff.

They 100% did that so you could boot her rear end off

I'm reminded of how quite a few scripted sequences in the latest Hitman games in particular end up putting targets in hilariously apropos places to push them off a cliff or such, often with famous last words to go with it. Not that you can't find plenty of your own opportunities.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

bony tony posted:

Most of my fights in this game normally involved me trying to manoeuvre an enemy to a cliff edge so I could Sparta kick them off

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Catzilla posted:

Most of my fights in this game normally involved me trying to manoeuvre an enemy to a cliff edge so I could Sparta kick them off

This is the way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's a detail I'm missing in Tsushima right now. There are plenty of cliffs to fight people around, but if you try to knock them off as they die, they somehow hit an invisible barrier and stop even if it means 3/4 of their body is lying down on thin air. Maybe for the sequel :sigh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked knocking people off the roof in Spider Man, where spidey just offhandedly makes a web-based fall harness for them and they’re out of the fight.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

bony tony posted:

When you first learn the leap of faith in Valhalla you can just not emerge from the hay stack and the guy teaching you starts freaking out thinking he killed you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

That's a detail I'm missing in Tsushima right now. There are plenty of cliffs to fight people around, but if you try to knock them off as they die, they somehow hit an invisible barrier and stop even if it means 3/4 of their body is lying down on thin air. Maybe for the sequel :sigh:

I found one (enemy) fisherman who was clearly set up to be punted into the river, and it worked as expected

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Push El Burrito posted:

When you first learn the leap of faith in Valhalla you can just not emerge from the hay stack and the guy teaching you starts freaking out thinking he killed you.

Dang I missed that

Welp, time for a restart

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

bony tony posted:

Dang I missed that

Welp, time for a restart

I recorded it if you want. It's kind of great, haha.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Casnorf posted:

I recorded it if you want. It's kind of great, haha.

Please do! I liked that game well enough, but not for a single funny moment

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't worry, I captured it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2KRJ3hlqY

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Catzilla posted:

Oh yeah boarding a ship so you can restore your hull health and you want me to duel with the captain and his lieutenants? How about BOOT shark feeding time instead.

(first time I saw a shark half the size of the ship eat one of the treading-water pirates mid-curse I lolled a lot)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

bony tony posted:

Dang I missed that

Welp, time for a restart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkHX6XD7B2I

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's a prompt to pet dogs in the Last of us Part II:3:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alhazred posted:

There's a prompt to pet dogs in the Last of us Part II:3:

Uh...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You pet them so well they take a nap, it’s really cute

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
The game even gives you a machine to pet them from a distance. GOTY!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

rydiafan posted:

I always name Robo "R66Y" so his triumphant rejection of his old identity is nonsensical.
Ah, the Nanaki Gambit

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Tales of Beseria: NPC's with something new to say will have the icon above their heads have its mouth open.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Possibly mentioned since it's from Hades, but: When you open up the Codex while near an NPC it automatically jumps to that NPC. Super useful for checking your relationship level.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know it barely counts (if at all) as a Little Thing, but man alive do I like the "switch between the old and new versions of our games" option in Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Nine and a half times out of ten, a visual remake of any game is just that, a button to switch between the two on the fly is quite interesting if you have even a little interest in how visual design of game levels works.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I quite like in Dragon Quest Builders 2 (got it for Christmas :P) is Malkoth or whatever his name is, who is the guy who basically tried to destroy the world and fought the previous builder and lost. He has no idea who he is at the moment though, so he has ironically befriended the new builder and his helping him undo the damage that he himself has done. The actual villains at the moment are a cult of monsters who worship his general (or the demon that he summoned i can't remember which) and basically took over in the power vaccuum, destroyed every remaining remnant of anything builder-related and forced humanity to join them - but that was a short-sighted enough philosophy that many monsters are suffering as a result of the world being destroyed because guess what... they liked the stuff. So a lot of monsters are quite friendly with the humans in this story because they appreciate what they can create and help protect what little remains, and in the first island one of the villagers is a former high priest of the cult who initially shows up offended that the magic tree is back, but gets curious enough to be all "You'd better get this magic tree up to it's former glory by restoring this farm or I'll destroy you ALL!"
He's totally posturing though, he's just curious about how strong the tree will get, he just keeps playing it up as "It's not worth destroying yet. Where's the fun in killing a tiny sapling?"

It's generally a much more chaotic story than the first one and that's a lot of fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I know it barely counts (if at all) as a Little Thing, but man alive do I like the "switch between the old and new versions of our games" option in Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Nine and a half times out of ten, a visual remake of any game is just that, a button to switch between the two on the fly is quite interesting if you have even a little interest in how visual design of game levels works.

That was a really awesome feature that I wish was more widely used, I assume it's not common because most remakes are actually completely unconnected recreations or something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
A completely random one I just remembered: City of Heroes had an option for every single character name to be assigned a random color in chat. It made holding conversations in public places in-game actually plausible, and every other MMO is worse for not having that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

That was a really awesome feature that I wish was more widely used, I assume it's not common because most remakes are actually completely unconnected recreations or something.

IIRC both versions are running simultaneously

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know how PS1 and 2 era games did real-time reflections by showing a flat wall with the whole room mirrored along with the player character's model cloned and mimicking your controls? Halo MCC is that, except you can press a button to swap between the two entire video games being reflected.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah and it loving rules!

except when the geometry doesn't match up... the Remastered graphics don't align with the original geometry frequently enough that i've encountered problems in nearly every level.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

IIRC the Shadow of the Colossus remaster also has the original's physics running in the background so you could sometimes hover over geometry when walking on what was originally a flat plane

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

christmas boots posted:

IIRC both versions are running simultaneously

Yeah, this is true for Halo's remasters, although this isn't true for most.

For examples off the top of my head (because I know a lot about Final Fantasy's port situation), FFVIII's recent remaster is actually the old PC port under a massive pile of x86 commands because they lost the original source code. The current FFVI remaster is actually the GBA version's ROM with extra filters and interface hacks laid on top; the same is likely true of both the FFV and Chrono Trigger remasters (except for Chrono Trigger it's the DS port), but we don't know for sure. I, II, and Tactics' smartphone ports are literally just the PSP versions with a new touch interface. FFIX's is actually the entire game rebuilt from the ground up in Unity (the same is true of the Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne remaster releasing in English next year), and X/X-2 and XII are the original source code and assets remastered, which is what most of the remasters you'll ever see are.

Out of all of those, the only ones that could technically do what the Halo remasters do is VI, and possibly V. Chrono Trigger actually already did; it launched with such poorly-received new filters on the visuals that they completely patched them out.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Dec 27, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I went back to Mark of Kri on the ps2 as I think I'm further than I've ever got before, a good chunk of the way through the third level. I like how winding this one is, the first two were very basic forward paths with tiny branches here and there, but the third level feels very like an actual forest with branching paths that wind around each other and while I've SEEN the secret collectible, I have yet to figure out how to get on it's branch. It also had a weird puzzle with distracting archers that I only solved what they probably wanted me to do after brute forcing it and just dodging their arrows to get the items and get back. For a large Net gain as I only got hit once.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I appreciate that the Last of Us Part II actually shows that things like shaving is not a priority when you're living in a post-apocalyptic society.

Oh my god. Take on me:allears:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Dec 27, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cleretic posted:

FFVIII's recent remaster is actually the old PC port under a massive pile of x86 commands because they lost the original source code.
They somehow failed to replace one of the lovely MIDI music tracks from the PC version. Well, they do replace it the first time it plays early in the game so you hear the proper version, but when it plays again on (what would be) Disc 2 you hear the crappy MIDI instead and it's super jarring.

This might have been patched since launch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just started playing Divinity: Original Sin for the first time and decided to take the "talk to animals" perk

A good investment so far

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I enjoy the way the final fishing minigame gag pays off in Hades. Throughout your run you have a chance to encounter a fishing spot in any chamber with water, and then play a short timing minigame to catch fish of varying rarities for varying rewards after at the hub. These fish are clearly silly made-up fantasy cartoon fish with names like Gupp, Knucklehead, Scyllascion. Then after who knows how many runs, surely several to several DOZEN after you obtain the rod and start fishing, you finally complete a run and reach the surface. There's a fishing point! You play the minigame, expecting another goofy fake fish to fill out this fantasy world, and no. you caught a trout. like a real, actual trout. from real greece. It's excellent. I just love the sudden reveal that all the silly cartoon fish you caught in the underworld are actually its native species which all conveniently are made-up cartoon fish, and in reality the real world's fish just don't live down there.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Dec 28, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

So turns out there's a cool, atmospheric game in Assassin's Creed, buried somewhere beneath the enormous and almost entirely pointless game world and tedious, repetitive gameplay.

Finally clicked with me after bouncing so hard off the game before that ignoring 90% of the game is not only possible it's downright recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

As bad as Arkham Knight's batmobile sections are, there's something satisfying about watching it absolutely tear through the scenery. It gives me Red Faction Guerilla vibes.