Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Haven't looked into this too much to see if the WWE match is accurate but if it is, this is kind of wild and cool:

https://twitter.com/WilliamRBR/status/1343348643101700096

Obviously "TV" refers to major promotion TV and not NXT or indies or whatever, but an interesting coincidence nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They had Batista, easily a top 5 wrestling-to-acting transition, as a silent lackey for D-Von Dudley

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

They had Batista, easily a top 5 wrestling-to-acting transition, as a silent lackey for D-Von Dudley

And they covered up his physique! I'm beginning to suspect that Vince has always been an idiot and guys like Pat Patterson actually did all the genius scouting and marketing credited to him.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

And they covered up his physique! I'm beginning to suspect that Vince has always been an idiot and guys like Pat Patterson actually did all the genius scouting and marketing credited to him.

Also JR who was head of talent relations all the way until WWE started to drastically decline

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CombineThresher posted:

This is something I'm beginning to feel strongly. AEW picked up several key people that WWE cast aside and surges forward. WWE continues to lose people overtime and exposes more and more how bad their remaining staff is. Bad both at their jobs and at being people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, Vince tried to gently caress up Austin and Rock and the only real reason he didn’t was that he was getting his rear end beaten so bad that he basically gave up and let them be themselves.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the one constant of wwe is having absolute world-class talent up the wazoo and zero loving idea how to use any of them because the company is dictated by a deranged old man

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Even someone like EC3 who isn’t at the same level of talent, seemed to be the ideal “Vince guy” on paper and they did nothing with him and hid his promo ability which was his biggest strength.

We expect people that don’t fit his typical mold like Ricochet or Aleister Black to fail despite their talent, but when Vince drops the ball on the tall bodybuilder dudes he normally loves there’s something off.

I would have zero faith Vince wouldn’t gently caress up a guy like Brian Cage who seems like he was built in a lab to be the perfect WWE ideal.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It's to the point where I am starting to wonder if Vince should be removed from the WON Hall of Fame.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

To be fair, Batista wasn't really notable for his promo skills in OVW (as this video might attest), and I only recall him starting to really be comfortable talking once he was in Evolution.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Batista didn't get good at talking until Blade Runner 2049.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batista didn't get good at talking until Blade Runner 2049.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dacap posted:

I would have zero faith Vince wouldn’t gently caress up a guy like Brian Cage who seems like he was built in a lab to be the perfect WWE ideal.

He'd love Cage for a few weeks, then suddenly proclaim that he's too short and can't work and ship him back to developmental, where one of his knees would immediately explode.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

This is an ironic post right?

Because the highlight of this segment is him doing something physical and not speaking?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cage was in developmental already, as Kris Cage. By his own admission he stank, but I also feel like it's WWE's job to do something about that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cage was in developmental already, as Kris Cage. By his own admission he stank, but I also feel like it's WWE's job to do something about that.

There are so many people of the current generation who were in some form of WWE developmental at some point. When you've got these different feeder promotions over the years like OVW and whatever else, you're gonna have some people slip through the cracks. You're also going to gently caress up on some people because they're not the pet project so they don't get the chances/looks they deserve.

Everyone running some farm league for WWE has an agenda and "their guys/girls" and that's who they're going to hitch their wagons to if they can help it. It's way more about politics, I'd assume, and trying to give Vince people they think he wants than anything else.

Plus, Cage wasn't the machine at that point, was he? If he looked then the way he looks now, he probably would have had a rocket attached to his back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'm as critical of WWE's talent development and usage as anyone, but that thing was apparently "give him all the steroids."

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I honestly think that Vince thought he'd get cheered against Austin otherwise he'd have never done that storyline at all, he tried to turn face a bunch during that run it's just totally white washed and ignored now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I honestly think that Vince thought he'd get cheered against Austin otherwise he'd have never done that storyline at all, he tried to turn face a bunch during that run it's just totally white washed and ignored now.

He thought he was going to be the face after Montreal but he figured it out after a few weeks and knew he'd be a heel from there out.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Vince by Mania time knew he was going to be heel. The big question was always going to be would he listen to Shawn Micheals again and have him retain the title cause Shawn was 100% pushing for that up till Bell time

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Someone post Breeze and Xavier's lost generation discussion, thanks.

Gonzo McFee posted:

If Brock Lesner had come in on the wrong day he'd be Chuck the Fireman and have disappeared after a year.

A bunch of the backstage producers wanted him to be a Russian guy that just stood there in the ring and let people bounce off of him.

He's lucky as gently caress that Taz and Heyman managed to save him from that fate.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Vandar posted:

Someone post Breeze and Xavier's lost generation discussion, thanks.

Xavier: I wonder if there were any guys back in the day, who when they saw guys from back in their day, that they ever acted like this? [Referring to Xavier and Breeze marking out over Batista]

Breeze: I guarantee you, no. Definitely not.

Xavier: There were no losers back then? We're the loser kids?

Breeze: The crazy part- Yes. We're like the fans. So you know how you have eras? The attitude era, then it was whatever came after that, ruthless aggression? We're like the fan era, where literally like every week its like alright, you guys are gonna dress up like dx. Cause they were cool. And do their stuff. And then like alright, you guys are gonna dress up like this other person who wrestled 30 years ago. Could you ever see Stone Cold Steve Austin? We're gonna get you Randy Savage's stuff and you're gonna do his entrance and do the whole thing? It'd be like what? No. But meanwhile we're just like HELL YEAH ALRIGHT. Hit Austin's music! I'm gonna put this bald cap on, I'll make my way out to the ring, do the whole thing. Stunner buncha random people. We're the fan era, man.

Xavier: That's a really good take actually.

Breeze: How many times have you seen that on there? Celebrating 20 years of the NWO or the whatever and it's like, man, they wouldn't have done that. They totally wouldn't have done that. I saw you guys do one, me and Dango did Austin.. What did we do? Shawn and Hunter.

Xavier: Oh yeah we did Barber Shop window, we did the Dudleys

Breeze: We had Austin and Vince. We had all those random photoshoot ones.

Xavier: So do you think that in 30 years guys that are wrestling then will be doing stuff pertaining to us, or pertaining to like Austin and Rock?

Breeze: Oh my god. They're totally going to skip our era?

Xavier: Yeah we all just suck and..

Breeze: That's very possible. If in 20 years WWE shop is still just putting out Austin 316 shirts.

Xavier: Yeah, it's a high possibility.

Breeze: It's very possible.

Xavier: So then do you think that at like Mania instead of us coming back it's still them coming back?

Breeze: Yes. We just skip.. We're the generation that never was.

Xavier: I'd be down if it was like 80 Batista year old just coming down like..

Then they joke about old Batista and old Tyler Breeze.

"I'll be like 41, finally getting my opportunity"

"Then Austin comes out and stuns you. The NWO comes out with t-shirt guns and you're just dead in the ring."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, Vince tried to gently caress up Austin and Rock and the only real reason he didn’t was that he was getting his rear end beaten so bad that he basically gave up and let them be themselves.

This doesn't get said enough.

Rock and Austin succeeded despite their initial Vince/WWE booking. And they only were able to use their natural charisma and perform as the personas that made them stars, (you know the oft used saying "themselves but turned up to 11"), after extended trials of using what Vince wanted them to be failed.

It's almost as if when you have talented charismatic performers one should let those people perform. But that sounds like crazy talk to me.

Also, nowadays, Apart from The New Day, I can't really think of a time where the WWE has admitted defeat and changed from their initial scripted promos/curated personae, and allowed the wrestlers/performers to use their natural gifts.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That Xavier/Breeze conversation is as sad as it is true.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks.

Gods, it's even more depressing than I remember. :smith:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also, nowadays, Apart from The New Day, I can't really think of a time where the WWE has admitted defeat and changed from their initial scripted promos/curated personae, and allowed the wrestlers/performers to use their natural gifts.

Becky, to a certain extent?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Vandar posted:

Becky, to a certain extent?

Becky, and before that I don't think anyone back until Bryan.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Becky/Ronda/Charlotte all showed some flexibility in the storytelling, though a lot of it was really bad. So I vaguely remember Charlotte getting a monster pop when she beat down Ronda and they kinda wavered there.

Kofi maybe? There's some rapid pivoting in that storyline that Vince clearly didn't care for given the conclusion. Roman being heel is... Perhaps the plan, but I wonder if it isn't born of Vince being angry he dared go home instead of quarantining away from his new born children.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even Becky barely counts because they kept trying to turn her heel and got very very mad when fans wouldn't go along with it (you know they were mad because the announcers kept screaming about how she's a bad guy while crowds were raining down Becky chants). It wasn't until the Nia angle with the accidental blood that they finally started booking her as a face.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
The crazy thing about Becky is, her booking got WORSE after they decided to go with her in the main event of Wrestlemania.

https://youtu.be/98_NKwLTEBo

Becky comes out and does this confrontation with Ronda Rousey and the main event is set. All you need to do is run out the clock on this one, keep it simmering and its a red hot main event but they couldn't even do that, they had to constantly interfere, changing everyones alignment on a week by week basis. It's bizarre.

I look forward to Becky doing a book discussing the full backstory at some point, because clearly backstage was a melee of competing visions for the story.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This week's dynamite is being booked (at least in part) by Brodie's kid https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1343694003720638476

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
AEW Champion and booker of the year

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wasn't Kenny Omega famously in OVW or FCW for a while and Bill Demont made his life hell and told him he was too small to be a star? I remember something like that.

WWE really struggles to train talent. It shouldn't. It has some of the best wrestlers as trainers. But they have less of a success rate than loving Mikey Whipreck for producing good wrestlers. There is something in WWE's training ethos that doesn't produce good wrestlers. They put an over emphasis on cardio and physique for a fake sport performed all year round causing massive amounts of injuries so they can have a WWE style match where they lose in five minutes, Dictating that you can only work one way and value Obedience more than creativity. And then they get overtaken by someone who worked the indies because they weren't trained wrong as a joke.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If you have Highspots Network theres a shoot series called Developmentally Speaking hosted by Brian Myers where Kenny, Sammi Callihan and some other guy talk about their time in developmental as a real loving joy. Think Kenny was actually pre FCW, in Deep South Wrestling.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 29, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark Order clearly on the face side on every team, even with people they had poo poo with before and are gonna sweep. It's gonna be a good show.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wasn't Kenny Omega famously in OVW or FCW for a while and Bill Demont made his life hell and told him he was too small to be a star? I remember something like that.
Nobody knows more about being a major star in professional wrestling than Bill "Hugh G. Rection" DeMott.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I just realized that every match involved members of the Dark Order.

Just gonna wait for the entire roster to come down for the 10 bell salute and all give the Dark Order Pose at the end.
"We Are One"

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 29, 2020

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

DeMott would try to get people to do ridiculous exercises and embarrassing stunts and repeat spots to an unbelievable amount for, well, the power trip of it - the same poo poo he did in NXT - and Kenny would volunteer to do them so no one else had to. DeMott would berate him for it.

Then once he got out from being under DeMott and was just working the shows they kept him in a constant flux of doing not much at all. Eventually he realized he wasn’t going to go anywhere and probably get flushed out of the system after his enjoyment of wrestling was wasted, got a meeting with Lauranitis, and was like “I don’t think I can do anything here the way things are going” and because this was a time before WWE was entirely dedicated to sitting on talent so no one else could rise up by using them, Lauranitis gave him his release; Kenny mentioned to him he was thinking of going to Japan, and Lauranitis even offered to get him an in with All Japan. That never came, Kenny went back to Winnipeg, worked some local indies, and then he saw a video of a guy named Kota Ibushi doing a match in a campground for this promotion called DDT, said “this is what I want to do!”, recorded the match where he wrestles one of his friends in and around his house and down to a lake, sent it to DDT, and the rest, well, you know the rest.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

If you have Highspots Network theres a shoot series called Developmentally Speaking hosted by Brian Myers where Kenny, Sammi Callihan and some other guy talk about their time in developmental as a real loving joy. Think Kenny was actually pre FCW, in Deep South Wrestling.

lol I'm reading a write up now and holy poo poo that's not the way to train anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Becky/Ronda/Charlotte all showed some flexibility in the storytelling, though a lot of it was really bad. So I vaguely remember Charlotte getting a monster pop when she beat down Ronda and they kinda wavered there.

I just remembered the absolutely Mantaur-rear end facepaint job they decided to put Ronda in for most/all of her run. Imagine falling rear end-backwards into a legit MMA star and feeling the need to do that.