Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Big energy from grandma tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What is the threads consensus on enamel aluminum pans? I got one as a gift.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can you blame her?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

net work error posted:

What is the threads consensus on enamel aluminum pans? I got one as a gift.

Red copper trumps all, sorry

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Austria '82 features the first pre-planned pit stop of the era, both Brabhams started on a half load of fuel and stopped to change tires and get fuel halfway through. They'd been trying to do this for the last several races but kept retiring before getting the opportunity. Piquet's stop was around 31 seconds because the crew weren't ready, but Patrese finished his stop in about 13s.

Instead of tire blankets they used big hot air ovens to pre-heat.

They both retired within a few laps anyway. These cars are so fragile.

Edit: Apparently (road) motor racing is banned in Switzerland?

bgreman fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 26, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

bgreman posted:

Edit: Apparently (road) motor racing is banned in Switzerland?

Yep, banned in 1955 after the Le Mans Disaster, never was unbanned.

Lately there was an exception added for electric vehicles and Formula E has raced there at least once.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
another reason why mercedes benz should be banned from grand prix racing and motorsports in general

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

another reason why mercedes benz should be banned from grand prix racing and motorsports in general
Everyone knows it was a British driver in a British car hitting another British driver in a British car who were responsible for that disaster of Frenchmen. The Germans were the victims and behaved honorably and selflessly after the incident! It was only the Islanders who laughed at the death of innocents and floored the accelerator to take their prizes, enjoying their total separation from the Continent and its people. A condition to which they shall soon return in simultaneous ignominy and pride. Disgusting.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Counter Point.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Everyone knows it was a British driver in a British car hitting another British driver in a British car who were responsible for that disaster of Frenchmen. The Germans were the victims and behaved honorably and selflessly after the incident! It was only the Islanders who laughed at the death of innocents and floored the accelerator to take their prizes, enjoying their total separation from the Continent and its people. A condition to which they shall soon return in simultaneous ignominy and pride. Disgusting.

so we should ban all british involvement in motorsport which also covers the current mercedes f1 team, good idea imho

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
1955 Le Man's is horrific and even if it's not 100% clear if Mike Hawthorn was at fault, the fact that Jaguar kept racing after Mercedes and Ferrari pulled out so that he could win is one of the most monstrous things about it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lewis is the greatest

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:hellyeah:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

if it hadn't been 55 it would have just been a different year with other names

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
And they're hand-to-hand as Salazar and an incensed Piquet step out of their crashed cars.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 27, 2020

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ethanol posted:

Lewis is the greatest

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

ethanol posted:

Lewis is the greatest

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ethanol posted:

Lewis is the greatest

Big if true.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ethanol posted:

Lewis is the greatest

:lewis:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

track day bro! posted:

so we should ban all british involvement in motorsport which also covers the current mercedes f1 team, good idea imho

Frauderia Failarri would still loving trip over themselves every race weekend though

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
They are good op

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Checking in to say Ferrari owns and the British people are so fat and lazy that they can’t even be bothered to do a proper trade agreement so they copied and pasted one from some word document they had saved from the 90s (or alternatively because the time Netscape was still relevant was the last time a new computer arrived in Britain, in which case good job on that level of forethought)

https://twitter.com/paulmaunders/status/1343143578147684357?s=20

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Did Ferrari Fiat Chrysler SpA write that document? #forzamozilla

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I just started the '83 season and the rule changes have dramatically changed the shape of the cars. They all look like they went on diets. The new Brabham has a weird optical illusion from the front that makes it looks like a high-prowed boat. Wings are quite big again.

Also I looked ahead and it looks like '83 is the last season where the "In Review" videos are the "long format" 1 hour condensed races. Instead they turn into 12 minute or so videos. Every race has one, but some also have 40-minute extended highlight packages. '84-'85 don't have any full races.

They actually used a wipe to distinguish between a cut to replay and a normal cut! TBH watching the progress in on-screen info has been part of the fun of this, and if that's lost in these shorter form highlight videos I'll miss it.

Another thing about the racing that I think is a little different is that the drivers really don't seem to like to drive side-by-side through a corner. Usually an overtake has been completed by the time they have to turn-in, or the overtaking driver has bailed out of it or been blocked.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 28, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
so are y'all just :files: ing the older seasons or are they available streaming somewhere for free

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

so are y'all just :files: ing the older seasons or are they available streaming somewhere for free

Not free, it costs $4/month for the F1TV sub I'm using. I believe it has been implied that seasons are available via less savory methods though.

Rosberg takes a planned pit stop, his car catches fire, he hops out, takes a close look, and hops back in, gets push-started, and drives back into the points.

US West 83:
An inset, picture-in-picture overlay!
I think the McClarens are my favorite of the '83 designs. John Watson loves to put on these charges to the front from unlikely positions.
The '83 Ferrari is so stumpy. Apologies to the one or more posters in this thread who identify as an '83 Ferrari.

France 83:
Four teams are now doing planned pit-stops: Brabham, Renault, Ferrari, and Williams. A good pit stop is 15 seconds.
The liveries overall look better this season compared to prior ones. Except Arrows.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 28, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azza Bamboo posted:

Finished watching the 81 Grand Prix championship.

Finished watching the 82 Grand Prix championship. There is a lot going on this season.

Death, Disability and Disinterested Directors

The sins of this season were many. Watching this with modern health and safety sensibilities again makes for uncomfortable viewing. This season saw the deaths of two drivers, and one driver sustaining permanent disabling injuries that ended his Formula One career. 12 spectators sustained minor injuries in the French Grand Prix after a March car plowed through the tyre wall. Nelson Piquet collapsed due to heatstroke on the podium in Brazil, certainly fortunate that he held out until his drive was over. Drivers in Detroit were greeted to the sight of a tow truck on the racing line dragging a stricken car, and an inexperienced marshalling team whose fumbling about with fire extinguishers puts Bahrain 2020 to shame. The downforce of these vehicles sometimes caved in the suspension, and even once caused Rene Arnoux's front wheel to fly off. The season was a flurry of exploding cars, deep dives into tyre walls, and drivers seeming to proudly carry on in spite of their injuries.

The death of Riccardo Paletti is particularly uncomfortable, as it represents the culmination of two issues that were quite visible in the previous season. The myriad drivers who came limping out of their cars in 81 evinced the danger of a design where the drivers dangle their legs over the front wheels. The Canadian start was also a near repeat of the accident at 81 in Zolda (sans the mechanic becoming wedged between the two cars). If something had been done about either of these issues, perhaps they would not have combined here.

With all of the loss of life, limb and spectators also striken I found myself curious about the safety improvements that would be made between 82 and 83.

They got rid of the ground effect skirts, saying the downforce was too dangerous.

That is all.

Big Brain Bernie Ecclestone

Once again Bernie Ecclestone tried to do a "well, technically..." He ran a "brake cooling" system on his cars. Onboard tanks full of water dumped their contents on to the track during the race, bringing the cars' weight down below the minimum, before being filled up again prior to the post-race weigh-in. This saw Piquet and Rosberg disqualified after having secured the 1st and 2nd place at Brazil. I have to appreciate a team who has the ingenuity and the stones to attempt this rules bending, but Bernie's attempts at being clever in 82 seem to go from bad to worse.

FOCA teams protested the disqualifications by withdrawing from San Marino of all races. It leads to a very stark comparison. In 81 the crowds at South Africa got to see what a FOCA championship round might look like: a somewhat bland race with poor attendance and little interest. At San Marino, crowds got to see what F1 looks like without the petulant Brits: a thrilling battle between two Ferraris who fought on the very razor edge of their machines for the final seven laps of the race. Attendance was not hit at all by the protest, and why would it be at San Marino? A city state on the border of Italy has more to look forward to when half the non-Italian field is gone. What an absolutely humiliating failure for Ecclestone! I can't help but wonder if this humiliation in particular explains him repeatedly licking Ferrari's toes in the 90s.

It wasn't all mistakes from the British teams, as Brabham began experimenting with planned pit stops. In the Austrian Grand Prix, Nelson Piquet was able to exit the pits in first place, showing that there may well be something to this strategy. Even in these early stages the television producers and commentators were taking great interest in timing the cars as they were stopped in the pits. It seems to have taken them about 13 seconds at the very start of this tradition.

The Future is Turbo
Although Keke Rosberg fought hard for a much deserved win, and owed much of that to the consistent stream of points he won from the reliable naturally aspirated Williams, every other indication points to the turbo being the future of the sport. Where Williams was the runaway winner of the 81 constructors' event, 82 sees turbos and naturally aspirated constructors neck and neck at the top of the leaderboard. The repeated dominant performances of the turbo machines was only offset by their poor reliability, but here's the rub: The reliability of the turbo machines improved with each race, where the comparative sluggishness of the naturally aspirated cars remained a constant. I was expecting to see more turbos in this season, but surely the next season tolls the bell for the Cosworth V8.

Notable Drivers

Keke Rosberg drove tooth and nail every second he was in the car. He pulled off many spectacular maneuvers, notably at Detroit where he played chicken with a concrete wall to get past Arnoux. With the adjudicators this season saying no to Ecclestone's "brake coolant", Keke's victory doesn't have any dark shadow hanging over it as Piquet's did in 81. The only question over his victory is what might have been had Didier Pironi not had an horrific accident late in the season.

Alain Prost showed himself as a rising star in the previous season. This season, he showed that there's some work to do. His performance at Monaco in particular shows that he can let paranoia get the better of him. I'd describe him at this point as a driver who can be spooked.

This would be the first time I got the privilege of watching Niki Lauda drive. He seems very comfortable in the nimble McLaren, and has a honed sense for the ebb and flow of a race. He knows when to attack and when to relax. There also seems to be something psychological about his driving, where he plays mind games with the cars ahead of him, sometimes egging them on to exhaust their rubber.

Eliseo Salazar was seen having thrown his car into the Armco barriers more often than not. That image gets the title of this season's running gag.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 28, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

Checking in to say Ferrari owns and the British people are so fat and lazy that they can’t even be bothered to do a proper trade agreement so they copied and pasted one from some word document they had saved from the 90s (or alternatively because the time Netscape was still relevant was the last time a new computer arrived in Britain, in which case good job on that level of forethought)

https://twitter.com/paulmaunders/status/1343143578147684357?s=20
Bringing back the '90s is really hot right now.
Get on-trend, Quid.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I bought a hot pink sweater that looks like it could be straight out of the 90s. Fannypacks, in.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Time for the next season.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 28, 2020

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That Spirit car :stare:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It is kind of mad how many wildly different body layouts there are.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It is kind of mad how many wildly different body layouts there are.

Ground effects got banned at the last minute which means a lot of people were just scrambling to put anything together.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's not actually much different than the Toleman there but the livery really does it no favours

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's interesting to see the cars slowly morphing into the 90s machines I grew up with. The Brabham in particular has that narrow cockpit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
God I miss the days when Marlboro sponsored everything. Bring back tobacco. #forzaPMI

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

God I miss the days when Marlboro sponsored everything. Bring back tobacco. #forzaPMI

Lol you’d just get Lance Stroll in a Juul car.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Azza Bamboo posted:

Time for the next season.

I love all of these cars. :allears:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I always wondered, is team ATS pretty much the german wheel manufacturer called ATS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

I always wondered, is team ATS pretty much the german wheel manufacturer called ATS?

It was the same from my understanding yeah