Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

RCarr posted:

How do I watch the ESPN Tiger Woods documentary? It says I can watch it on ESPN+ but I can’t find it on there.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/3688544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So when I click that link it forces me to open the ESPN app, which just brings me to the main app screen, and then I have no way of getting to the documentary from there.

I don’t know how they managed to make this so counterintuitive...

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

I'm liking the left dash balls. All of the fairway misses except for one were just me expecting a ~20y cut and it only cutting ~10y and 3 of the bogies were lipping out putts from 2-3' because for some reason I suck at those all of a sudden.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Playing in a 2 man scramble this morning with the local Orlando golf group. 60 or so guys out here so this should be fun. Nice thing is other 2some your paired with keeps your score so hopefully cheating is at a minimum.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Playing in a scramble... hopefully cheating is at a minimum.

oh bless your heart...

enjoy it, it's in the 20s here :argh:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

drat, RIP to a legend. Getting to hear Peter help call the British Open for an hour or so a day was always a treat as an American.

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1335543898190479361

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

oh bless your heart...

enjoy it, it's in the 20s here :argh:

Ya I’d like to take all that back lol

I played some of my best golf today, had a natural Eagle and was just crushing my driver. We were 4 under on the front nine and birdied 10 and then just cooled the gently caress off. Finished at -5, when I left they had posted 2 10 unders and I knew we didn’t have a shot at anything. Had a lot of fun though, some of the closest to the pins on the 200+ yard par 3s were a little suspect and that 10 under was by the group in front of us who seemed really friendly with their randomly paired partners lol.

Edit: they posted the results and a 58 won. Bite my loving rear end no way. On a par 73 course.

Edit x2: apparently it was a mini tour pro and some stud college player.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 6, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Ya I’d like to take all that back lol

I played some of my best golf today, had a natural Eagle and was just crushing my driver. We were 4 under on the front nine and birdied 10 and then just cooled the gently caress off. Finished at -5, when I left they had posted 2 10 unders and I knew we didn’t have a shot at anything. Had a lot of fun though, some of the closest to the pins on the 200+ yard par 3s were a little suspect and that 10 under was by the group in front of us who seemed really friendly with their randomly paired partners lol.

Edit: they posted the results and a 58 won. Bite my loving rear end no way. On a par 73 course.

Edit x2: apparently it was a mini tour pro and some stud college player.

-15 is still pretty ridiculous for a 2 man scramble regardless of how good the players. Not unattainable, but still crazy, especially with 200+ yard par 3s like you said.

Post the course if you feel comfortable doing so, I'd be interested to see the layout.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

-15 is still pretty ridiculous for a 2 man scramble regardless of how good the players. Not unattainable, but still crazy, especially with 200+ yard par 3s like you said.

Post the course if you feel comfortable doing so, I'd be interested to see the layout.

Eagle Creek in Orlando.

https://www.eaglecreekorlando.com/

We played from the whites and they had quite a few pins, especially on the par 3s in the back position.

Edit: I looked up the 2 guys who won on the Florida handicap index page and they both show as being +2 handicaps. So, possible? Maybe, but it would’ve been an amazing round of golf for both of them.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 7, 2020

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah that's at least a plausible score for two high skill players from the white tees. The one scramble I've played in had a winning score of -20 from a pair of guys who are like 16/17 caps based on when I'd played in other flighted events with them. :rolleyes:

E: the whites at that course are still like 6800, I assumed it was like 63/6400 or something

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr. Capco posted:

Yeah that's at least a plausible score for two high skill players from the white tees. The one scramble I've played in had a winning score of -20 from a pair of guys who are like 16/17 caps based on when I'd played in other flighted events with them. :rolleyes:

E: the whites at that course are still like 6800, I assumed it was like 63/6400 or something

Take a look at the scorecard for probably my favorite course in the area

Bella Collina Country Club - https://www.bellacollina.com/course-tour

https://greenskeeper.org/central_florida/Orlando_Vero_Beach/bella_collina_golf_club_orlando_florida/scorecard.cfm

This is Faldo's course he built like 10 years ago, supposedly Hideki Matsuyama lives here/has a membership and during our winter months practices exclusively here because he states the greens are as close to Augusta's in regards to speed and undulations as he can find. It's almost impossible to have a straight putt on these greens unless you are within 2 feet or so.

We play from the blues here at 6920 are there are 2 farther tee boxes lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

15 is my favorite, par 5, tips are 571, blues are 416, whites 382 lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

15 is my favorite, par 5, tips are 571, blues are 416, whites 382 lol

That hole plays a lot longer than it looks at it's almost entirely uphill(well as uphill as a hole can be in florida) and since the course is wide up there is always a 10-20mph wind and some days you get lucky and it's with you and some days you're not lucky lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lots of coverage for the U.S. Women's Open this week:
https://twitter.com/uswomensopen/status/1335962411220815873

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Found someone who’s willing to let us watch from their backyard on Cypress #6. Hoping I can get out there Sunday.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

5.5 hours of US Women's Open coverage just started on Golf Channel and THERE'S NO COMMERCIALS :stare:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 10, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

5.5 hours of US Women's Open coverage just started on Golf Channel and THERE'S NO COMMERCIALS :stare:

oh poo poo that rules

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought they were only doing this for Golf Channel on Thu/Fri but no they’re doing it on NBC this weekend too!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well I’ve started accumulating putters again, but want to raise a bit of cash for Christmas. Anyone interested in the putter I bought off of Mattfl earlier this year?

I’ll try to find his pictures from earlier in the thread, it’s an answer style blade, nice feel, just realized my answer blade days may forever be in the rear view mirror.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Well I’ve started accumulating putters again, but want to raise a bit of cash for Christmas. Anyone interested in the putter I bought off of Mattfl earlier this year?

I’ll try to find his pictures from earlier in the thread, it’s an answer style blade, nice feel, just realized my answer blade days may forever be in the rear view mirror.

Aww that's sad :(

In other news I'm on vacation next week and have tee times booked until Christmas!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mattfl posted:

In other news I'm on vacation next week and have tee times booked until Christmas!

It is :(. I had a couple good rounds with it, but my stroke is just much better suited for a mallet/something straight back and thru :(.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

While we're on the topic of putters, I've always been of the "it goes in or it doesn't" school, AKA 50% (yes I know that's not how stats work). My home course has legitimately *tiny* greens, and since most of the par 4s are pretty short I spend a ton more time practicing chipping and hitting 20/30/40/50 yard pitches instead of putting, my putting is really hit-or-miss. For the most part, I'm a few strokes under par on a good putting day, and a stroke or two over par on a bad putting day. This TXG video is legitimately the first putting aid I've ever been tempted to get though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88MPbDHb1s8 It looks like it is pretty substantial and can actually line you up properly and control the amount of rotation in the backstroke which is a pretty big deal. I'm just curious what the pricetag on it is going to be. If it's not more than the price of a new putter I think I'll pick it up and give it some practice this winter (now that we have 40" of snow on the ground gently caress).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

It snowed here Wednesday and it won't melt for a dog's age so once again go eat a bag of scuffed range balls Florida golfer.

Anno
May 10, 2017

This whole Tiger/Charlie Woods thing makes me feel a little weird, but it's extremely compelling.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1340353273191120900

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kid's swing is loving legit.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Glad I really enjoy playing bad golf because that kid would woop my rear end.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

5 wood from 185 and the kid hasn't sniffed puberty yet.

If he keeps playing he could be monster.

Was cool to hear that LJ Daly is heading to Arkansas next year to play golf, he's a loving bomber like his old man.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Shrapnig posted:

5 wood from 185 and the kid hasn't sniffed puberty yet.

If he keeps playing he could be monster.

Was cool to hear that LJ Daly is heading to Arkansas next year to play golf, he's a loving bomber like his old man.

His swing is freakin' wild. I can't find it but there was a .gif going around from earlier this year and the speed he gets is pretty amazing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Maybe it’s just wild Covid depression and my brain is hungry for any dopamine it can get but watching Tiger Travino and Daly and all these other guys I grew up watching with my dad and seeing their kids do work and enjoy time with their fathers/sons is making me want to take the old man out to the track. Lotta feels...

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Trevino was always fun to watch because a golf round to him is just an excuse to have a good time and talk the ears off everyone he's playing with.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Shrapnig posted:

As a fan of JD, I’m stoked about the possibility of seeing LJ on tour.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
@ Josh Lyman,

$375 for 3-PW Titleist 714MBs

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I almost pulled the trigger the other week on a black nitride finish mp-14 2-pw set for 600 bucks. I talked myself out of it and now I regret it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have 716MB X100 get that trash outta here :lol:

I like the reduced offset of the 620MB and I might get a used set some day but I need to get back into playing regularly. Only 3 rounds for me in 2020, July-Sep.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 23, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Everyone is raving over these new Cobra drivers and I'm a Cobra driver guy, I may have to try one out in January.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Cobra's been the king of drivers over the last couple of years. I still game the F9 and absolutely love it. It doesn't surprise me that Cobra continues to lead the field.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thinking about getting back into golf now that I'm far less broke and not living in a tiny apartment, but still want to enjoy badly hitting golf balls while also lighting more money on fire because golfing in Tokyo is an exercise in expense. Haven't played in about ten years and was very, very out of practice and not great when I did play. any recommendations or experience with sending clubs in the mail? I wanted to bring my bag back from the U.S. with me after a visit in 2020, but then COVID happened and travel didn't.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

harperdc posted:

thinking about getting back into golf now that I'm far less broke and not living in a tiny apartment, but still want to enjoy badly hitting golf balls while also lighting more money on fire because golfing in Tokyo is an exercise in expense. Haven't played in about ten years and was very, very out of practice and not great when I did play. any recommendations or experience with sending clubs in the mail? I wanted to bring my bag back from the U.S. with me after a visit in 2020, but then COVID happened and travel didn't.

If you haven't played in 10+ years, I'd recommend just buying clubs that are a few years old where you are now. Unless you had a full set of high end custom fit stuff, the things you can find for cheap on ebay or the like are probably going to be better than what you had and can be bought for super cheap.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Suprfli6 posted:

If you haven't played in 10+ years, I'd recommend just buying clubs that are a few years old where you are now. Unless you had a full set of high end custom fit stuff, the things you can find for cheap on ebay or the like are probably going to be better than what you had and can be bought for super cheap.

Do this. I "upgraded" from some random '00 era clubs to some early 10s forged Mizuno's. Huge difference in how they play and I did not drop a ton of cash to do it. Like maybe $200 total including the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

yeah the one thing I forgot to mention - I'm like a few others who discussed this a page or so ago, I'm 6'5 and have extensions (I think my dad said 2"?) in the irons.

whether this is possible or economical to get done for a set in Tokyo is something I haven't researched quite yet. I know plenty of gently used sets are rattling around (I saw a bunch at a used sporting goods shop last week) but I'm worried about nothing fitting me.