Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m reading through the whole Claremont run of Uncanny X-Men and I just found the first full instance of horny Claremont with this scene where Magneto tortures the X-Men by tying them up and having his sexy mommy domme robot maid treat them like babies:

It’s extremely jarring. Why does Magneto even have a sexy mommy domme robot maid?

I’ve also been reading the Classic X-Men backup stories as I do the original comics, and man do they get weird fast. There’s a real dissonance on how starkly storytelling conventions changed between the late 70s and the late 80s, but they start out doing nice small stories about how Storm and Jean became friends, but then ten issues in there’s a story about how one time Storm fell into a lake and ends up in another universe where she spends weeks or months or years adventuring with a space princess who lives on the back of a giant flying dog. Of course, why would she tell anyone when she got back, apparently a moment after she left, because why not?

Something else I never realized is that Wolverine falls in love with the Phoenix and barely talks to Jean beforehand. I know that the retroactive move to make Jean and Phoenix different characters came later and wasn’t something Claremont liked, but I’m a little surprised that none of the later writers who touched the Jean triangle thing never did anything with the idea that Wolverine never knew the actual Jean. Maybe more of that will come out in 100 issues when I get to the mid 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m reading through the whole Claremont run of Uncanny X-Men and I just found the first full instance of horny Claremont with this scene where Magneto tortures the X-Men by tying them up and having his sexy mommy domme robot maid treat them like babies:

It’s extremely jarring. Why does Magneto even have a sexy mommy domme robot maid?

I’ve also been reading the Classic X-Men backup stories as I do the original comics, and man do they get weird fast. There’s a real dissonance on how starkly storytelling conventions changed between the late 70s and the late 80s, but they start out doing nice small stories about how Storm and Jean became friends, but then ten issues in there’s a story about how one time Storm fell into a lake and ends up in another universe where she spends weeks or months or years adventuring with a space princess who lives on the back of a giant flying dog. Of course, why would she tell anyone when she got back, apparently a moment after she left, because why not?

Something else I never realized is that Wolverine falls in love with the Phoenix and barely talks to Jean beforehand. I know that the retroactive move to make Jean and Phoenix different characters came later and wasn’t something Claremont liked, but I’m a little surprised that none of the later writers who touched the Jean triangle thing never did anything with the idea that Wolverine never knew the actual Jean. Maybe more of that will come out in 100 issues when I get to the mid 80s.

Jean and Logan have some good moments in X-tinction Agenda when they're bringing all the X-teams back together, but that's pretty close to the end of Claremont's run.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

It's been a long time since I read these issues but this is a fascinating thing I never noticed and agree that it's strange this hasn't been dealt with.

I'm also jealous of people reading Claremont while I'm working through Lobdell's bad impression.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you've already built a robot housekeeper, you might as well go all the way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess if you’re already worked out the vacuum attachment on your housekeeper robot, the rest kind of suggests itself. It’s probably hard for Magneto to date, in all fairness.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just re-read all of Second Coming (including the X-Factor and Limbo tie in stories) today and LOL at Hank being so loving mad at X-Force existing. Ah, ya big furry hypocrite. Also it's great when Logan and Scott talk about how it was a necessary evil but its time has passed, then Scott leaves (in his jetpack. Bring back Scott's jetpack!) and Logan walks from one room to another where he already has the next iteration of X-Force assembled.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Scotty doesn’t know.

Ended up being the best X-Force.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
X-Force was probably the most interested I was in the X-Men between Deadly Genesis and Dawn of X. I dunno you can throw "____ and the X-Men" in there.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

"Jean was actually in a cocoon while Phoenix killed the Broccoli People" has been un-retconned (kinda) for a while now. All the bajillion retcons now basically mean she was both kinda Phoenix and kinda in the cocoon at the same time and was both innocent and culpable to the Phoenix doing poo poo, though it always counts as Jean for any "Was Jean present at this event" questions. But in short the current company line is "Don't think about it".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

galagazombie posted:

"Jean was actually in a cocoon while Phoenix killed the Broccoli People" has been un-retconned (kinda) for a while now. All the bajillion retcons now basically mean she was both kinda Phoenix and kinda in the cocoon at the same time and was both innocent and culpable to the Phoenix doing poo poo, though it always counts as Jean for any "Was Jean present at this event" questions. But in short the current company line is "Don't think about it".

X-Factor wasn’t even that good. I’m not afraid to say it. I couldn’t finish the first epic collection and am hoping the Simonson run is better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Factor wasn’t even that good. I’m not afraid to say it. I couldn’t finish the first epic collection and am hoping the Simonson run is better.

The Simonson stuff is better but has a bunch of gaps for some loving reason on Unlimited.

Cameron Hodge's heel turn is one for the ages.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Peter David X-Factor is great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

galagazombie posted:

In the later X-Factors it covers her struggles with having all of Phoenix's memories and feeling guilt for the actions even if they weren't her doing them technically.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked pretty much all of X-Factor, but the Simonson run is really good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It bears emphasizing that they did, in fact, already address this. They did already resolve this. Everyone always remembers the cocoon Jean retcon, but no one seems to remember that X-Factor did end up merging the "real" Jean that was in the cocoon with the "fake" Phoenix Jean and with Madelyne, and then -- as mentioned above -- expunged their personalities while keeping their history, and this was the Jean Grey that we had going forward from there all through the entire 90s, the entire Morrison run, right up through Phoenix: Endsong.

That there's some ambivalence about the whole situation again is honestly a pretty recent thing, and has a lot to do with writers kinda just wanting it one way sometimes and the other way other times. Sometimes even the same writer. Bendis had a whole arc where the Shi'ar tried to put teenage Jean on trial for the Phoenix's crimes -- which ended up making about as much sense as most Bendis arcs did, which is to say zero -- but he also had a big hand in AvX where, no no, the Phoenix Force is just evil and corruptive and a totally separate thing from Jean.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always good to read some X-thoughts in here. Good to know that info, myself I just tended to go with the writer's intention that it was Jean, not the retcon. And just not worry about the details of the cleanup, but cool to know for in case it gets referenced etc.

I love some good continuity, it is just also nice that something that didn't work can be quietly forgotten or un-retconed etc.

For example, since nobody likes Deadly Genesis, I like the idea of that being quietly retconned. Then stuff references it sometimes I think, I forget, can't win em all.

I'm just after the Brood saga in the Claremont run. Great great stuff. I feel his run gets better and better, at least so far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Always good to read some X-thoughts in here. Good to know that info, myself I just tended to go with the writer's intention that it was Jean, not the retcon. And just not worry about the details of the cleanup, but cool to know for in case it gets referenced etc.

I love some good continuity, it is just also nice that something that didn't work can be quietly forgotten or un-retconed etc.

For example, since nobody likes Deadly Genesis, I like the idea of that being quietly retconned. Then stuff references it sometimes I think, I forget, can't win em all.

I'm just after the Brood saga in the Claremont run. Great great stuff. I feel his run gets better and better, at least so far.

I think Brood Saga is where Claremont really hits his stride, so you've got several years of top quality comics to go through, kinda jealous.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s still good, but the Brood Saga is a really high peak.

Deadly Genesis wasn’t retconned, but just about everyone killed in it has been brought back, and Vulcan is actually kind of fun to see now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Post brood saga is a great place for me because of all the Paul Smith covers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kingtheninja posted:

Post brood saga is a great place for me because of all the Paul Smith covers.

And interiors. Smith is the best artist Claremont had, imo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

danbanana posted:

And interiors. Smith is the best artist Claremont had, imo.

on the main x book maybe but if you include New Mutants lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s still good, but the Brood Saga is a really high peak.
Another "Brood Saga is better than Dark Phoenix" take haver. I thought I was the only one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cloks posted:

:yeah: Simonson and David both had great runs on X-Factor.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Another "Brood Saga is better than Dark Phoenix" take haver. I thought I was the only one.

As the climax to 40 issues of Claremont X-Men The Dark Phoenix Saga is phenomenal. In the 7 issue TPB it's usually published as, it's really really good. The Brood Saga doesn't take place in a vacuum, but I think it stands alone a whole lot better than Dark Phoenix, and as 7 issues versus 7 issues Brood Saga definitely takes it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

Yeah. It's a shame being forced into the X-crossovers of the time forced him off.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Rochallor posted:

As the climax to 40 issues of Claremont X-Men The Dark Phoenix Saga is phenomenal. In the 7 issue TPB it's usually published as, it's really really good. The Brood Saga doesn't take place in a vacuum, but I think it stands alone a whole lot better than Dark Phoenix, and as 7 issues versus 7 issues Brood Saga definitely takes it.

iirc the first couple issues explaining why Jean is hallucinating the life of a fake distant ancestor are left off the trade, which is just the most confusing of many confusing parts for a new reader. friends don't let friends drop into the part where the X-Men are fighting the swingers club from Eyes Wide Shut

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That is bizarre, that sets up the whole Black Queen deal she had going on. It would be like going into pre-Battleworld Avengers without knowing why Steve is an old man.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there anything out today? I thought the issues schedule said there were three issues today but the shipping thread didn't have anything.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think excalibur at least.

Edit: shipping thread does list it but looks to be the only xbook there.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 23, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yep, just Excalibur this week.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm almost up to Stasis in XoS.

Is the first Hellions issue (#5) representative of the earlier issues of the title? Because it was hilarious and awesome and I would like to read more like it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is the first Hellions issue (#5) representative of the earlier issues of the title? Because it was hilarious and awesome and I would like to read more like it.

Yes. Yes, it is.

Quality stays high. Not only is it crazy bonkers at points, but also pretty serious when push come to shove. It probably asks questions that no one other book in the X line does.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm almost up to Stasis in XoS.

Please read all of Hellions

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hellions is great. It took a while to warm up to the premise and then I actually read the book. Partly it was Empath keeping me away who is a character that has aged like milk, but they deal with it.

I know he hasn't shown up a great deal in the past, but have we ever had any hints about Orphan-Maker's mutant power?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nope, no idea about what Orphan-Maker can do.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They got injured once and melted something with acid. Whether that means acid blood, they're a living liquid, they require a caustic environment to live, their suit has an acid tank for some reason, or just that Orphanmaker is really gross is still anyone's guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when talking about his resurrection protocol the council implied that Orphan-Maker's power would cause the literal end of the world so I think it's a bit more than that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he should become best friends with that arrako giant who Must Not Eat. i think that guy ate orphan maker's arms, but that's water under the bridge and at least one of the two has no recollection of it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont know if I'm late to the party in noticing it, but the X-Men anime from 10byears ago is up on Netflix if anyone is up for a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I’m reading on Unlimited so I’m months behind, but I just finished the first issue of Swords and the Peak reveal gave me actual chills.