Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FWIW it's not that Psionics are bad, it's just that genetic/synthetic is absurdly, brokenly overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do wish it was a bit easier to create a pack with the Chaos Gods so poo poo can get crazy. seems like maybe 1 in 10 reaching into the Shroud does something and even after a century of doing it constantly, i've never gotten to the point where my empire because corrupted and goes all Khorne on everyone. Or Slaanesh, its the same save stickier.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Psychics should be able to ascend into mind ghosts or something

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Hey so uh, gene clinics are an absolute scam right? I feel like one of the bigger problems with my playstyle is that I'm thinking in Civ terms and popping those down on my planets post haste. Like the extra .3 pop growth a month seems like maybe "Not even good for growth focused empires or planets"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hey so uh, gene clinics are an absolute scam right? I feel like one of the bigger problems with my playstyle is that I'm thinking in Civ terms and popping those down on my planets post haste. Like the extra .3 pop growth a month seems like maybe "Not even good for growth focused empires or planets"

They're potentially useful once you need a job that provides amenities, but generally speaking your other amenity options may be better depending on what they give. They absolutely should not be the first building you build though. Cloning vats and robot factories, on the other hand, are absolutely amazing and should be the first buildings you build if they are available to your empire.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

We had this already. They're not a scam, you just need to be aware that mathematically, they'll need something like 36-50 years to amortize. If you can deal with waiting that long for a net positive, and are perfectly fine with only getting some jobs and amenities up until then, they're good.

If you get antsy watching that +10% (or +20% for the upgraded version) pop growth for a couple decades, just take something else

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, basically. The early game is the most important part of the game (since you can lose or get a huge advantage depending on if you invade or are invaded by a neighbour) and early game power is based on alloy production, which is gated by building slots.

Using an early-game building slot for a gene clinic is handicapping yourself.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think that's probably the golden standard for job/buildings; if you're about to build something and are not sure what, ask yourself "Is this better than an alloy foundry?". Very few things are.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

And Tyler Too! posted:

FWIW it's not that Psionics are bad, it's just that genetic/synthetic is absurdly, brokenly overpowered.
As they should be, and Psionics should be brought up to match. They really need to make shroud diving good thing + random thing rather than just random good or bad thing. Even Arkham Horror seems to have learned that lesson.

Libluini posted:

We had this already. They're not a scam, you just need to be aware that mathematically, they'll need something like 36-50 years to amortize.
From a resources point of view, a single medical worker will spend a month's work adding 0.15 growth to your planet, or 0.15% of a pop, and a small amount of amenities. That 0.15% equates to one month of extra work every 666.7 months, or every 55.6 years remaining in the game. Assuming you're counting the growth as 2/3 of the medical workers' output, over a 200ish year game you're trading 2 alloys (and 2/3rds of a consumer good) now for 12 (+ modifiers) alloys spread out over the next 200 years. So two medical workers running for 28 years is trading 12 corvettes at the start of the game for 5 battleships at the end of the game. As the game progresses the returns drop dramatically.

From a slot unlocking point of view, never ever ever build one as your first slot because the 50% penalty from being a colony also applies to the boost. If you're trying to speed unlock the colony building you're better off putting the two of them into an energy building and using them to fuel some manual shuffles.

I don't know why I put so much thought into something that will drastically change in a couple of months.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 28, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Making the techs less totally random would be a solid start. They are just safer jump drives/ai cores, and while Psi Shields are great, you need to steal dark matter tech to actually use the drat things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eimi posted:

Making the techs less totally random would be a solid start.
Yes.

Oh wait you were talking about Psionics :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Splicer posted:

Yes.

Oh wait you were talking about Psionics :v:

Also yes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Making the techs less totally random would be a solid start. They are just safer jump drives/ai cores, and while Psi Shields are great, you need to steal dark matter tech to actually use the drat things.

More psi-unique ship tech could make it more interesting. Given the radical transformation that the other two ascension paths give to your society, it seems kind of weird that psi ascension is basically just "you're still flying around in metal ships with slightly better shields, and you can try to phone the elder gods every few years". I feel like psi ascension should essentially turn you into something like the unbidden, travelling around the galaxy in ships made of projected mental energy powered by the minds of the crew.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

My favorite take on space Psychics was the Advent in Sins of a Solar Empire. Being an RTS combat was obviously more complicated and interesting, but there are still some ideas that could be stolen. Stuff like opening up the fleet buffing modules from Titans/Juggernauts onto all ships, perhaps some new higher tier ship modules, since you get all those early game, more module slots on your ships, better fighters since the pilots have a psychic link to the people in the CIC, weapons that are equally good against everything, poo poo like that. Also give psi users EVA's for ground combat units, AT fields intact!

Eimi fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 28, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
SoaSE is basically Stellaris' gameplay loop done right, without the dialogue popups. The 'look & feel' of both of them is remarkably similar.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Serephina posted:

SoaSE is basically Stellaris' gameplay loop done right, without the dialogue popups. The 'look & feel' of both of them is remarkably similar.

Sins with Stellaris narrative/customization would be the poo poo.

Also no ship designer and just bespoke ship classes like the gods intended.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Serephina posted:

I've always considered them highly similar. I just miss the vasari and their phase gates in stellaris. 😭 I do tend to focus on gateways for that reason.

I just got my rear end kicked. I felt I was doing pretty good, and then found a genocidal next door. It beat the poo poo out of a neighbor on their far side, and then threw multiple 2k fleets at me. Was about 2230. Dunno if that's early. I had 2 fleets of about 15 corvettes is all, which got wasted and then he rolled through the rest of my empire. RIP.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 29, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

By the 2300's you should be building your first Titan, if not researching one. Always be churning out alloys.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If you're building a Titan in the early 2300s then you aren't being pressured enough in the early game and should increase the difficulty / number of empires.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Please don't implement SoaSE's diplomacy in Stellaris, I don't want to have my ally to the north demand 5-10,000 alloys/consumer goods/energy/whatever every month and lose standing with them every time I decline until they declare war on me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

And Tyler Too! posted:

By the 2300's you should be building your first Titan, if not researching one. Always be churning out alloys.
Oops. 2230. I hadn't even finished destroyers (they'd popped up once but I'd picked something else)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Black Pants posted:

Please don't implement SoaSE's diplomacy in Stellaris, I don't want to have my ally to the north demand 5-10,000 alloys/consumer goods/energy/whatever every month and lose standing with them every time I decline until they declare war on me.

You should check out the SOASE Star Wars Interregnum mod (or alternatively the Enhanced 4X Mod if you only want vanilla factions). They implemented a diplomacy overhaul that fixes all that, and in particular empowers the envoys to create multiple embassies so you don't need a whole fleet of them to maintain diplomatic standing.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-interregnum

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I honestly haven't played base Sins since the Armada III Trek mod series became a thing. Feels so much better rolling with Nebulas and Galaxies rather than Dunovs. :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Black Pants posted:

But that's not really how SoaSE diplo works? (You can ignore the first wave of 'attack your neighbor' requests as long as you put effort into quests later, or alternatively just not care about allies) Unless you're commenting on how things would end up looking after implementation, because Stellaris.txt, which is fair enough.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

But that's not really how SoaSE diplo works? (You can ignore the first wave of 'attack your neighbor' requests as long as you put effort into quests later, or alternatively just not care about allies) Unless you're commenting on how things would end up looking after implementation, because Stellaris.txt, which is fair enough.

I played a longass time ago so I may be forgetting details, and it was before the Rebellion thing I think, but in one game I had an ally that kept spamming me with demands. 'Attack this person' were in the demands but they also kept requesting resources/lovely trades and each declined request lowered their opinion of me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Black Pants posted:

I played a longass time ago so I may be forgetting details, and it was before the Rebellion thing I think, but in one game I had an ally that kept spamming me with demands. 'Attack this person' were in the demands but they also kept requesting resources/lovely trades and each declined request lowered their opinion of me.
Are you sure this wasn't multiplayer because this is how I treat AIs

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

The Cheshire Cat posted:

More psi-unique ship tech could make it more interesting. Given the radical transformation that the other two ascension paths give to your society, it seems kind of weird that psi ascension is basically just "you're still flying around in metal ships with slightly better shields, and you can try to phone the elder gods every few years". I feel like psi ascension should essentially turn you into something like the unbidden, travelling around the galaxy in ships made of projected mental energy powered by the minds of the crew.

This is what the psychic race in Escape Velocity Nova was like and it loving ruled

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Except for the bit where you get conscripted for the crime of taking an ordinary delivery mission to Earth.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Or the part of getting tricked into joining one faction over the others. Literally tricking the player. But enough of the EV derail, let's talk about how Stellaris has less options of messing with two nations diplo's standing witch each other than a RTS does, especially since we just had that diplomacy DLC.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

Or the part of getting tricked into joining one faction over the others. Literally tricking the player. But enough of the EV derail, let's talk about how Stellaris has less options of messing with two nations diplo's standing witch each other than a RTS does, especially since we just had that diplomacy DLC.

Yeah this really bugs me. I hate when my two closest allies rival each other and I wish I could influence it. Just make nice already so I can get this federation rolling.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

So

-I’m a pacifist hippie no war species
-I have colonized all 60%+ hab planets in my space (there is no more space to conquer around me)
-I have no district slots remaining other than a few blockers left to clear
-my population keeps rising and unemployment and housing problems are hitting every colony

I’m about 5 years away from completing terraforming tech, and I’m just playing an endless and futile game of resettling unemployed pops to other planets until then. What else can I do?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sounds like the typical midgame.

If you have the Megacorp DLC, Ecumpoli are the answer to lack of housing (and a lot of other things!). Utopia adds post-endgame ringworlds, which arrive long after you needed them. Habitats are awful, but iirc available in the base game, and terraforming everything is the normal answer available to all by the start of endgame.

These are all pressure relief valves ('cept maybe Ecumpoli, which are OP) which don't really address the awful midgame grind that Stellaris is infamous for, so uh make your own fun or something, idk?

edit: For maximum roleplaying, shift ethics to egalitarian if you're not already there, and turn your living standards to Social Welfare or Utopian Abundance. It's very hefty in CG cost, but 'solves' the issue in that your excess pops aren't really excess anymore and will be happy as a clam producing unity. The next barrier is maxed out housing on all worlds, which is counteracted by mass city districts and shifting your entire economy into Trade (and using starbases accordingly). This ultimately becomes the 'hard' option, as it takes an awful lot of dedication/gameplan/all your economy, but it's satisfying do to at least one playthrough of space hippies, imo.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 30, 2020

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The mod carrying capacity is probably the best solution at the moment, and hoping that the pop growth revamp they've talked about in a recent dev diary is good or at least doesn't break the mod.

I don't know exactly how hard it caps bio pops, but bots at least stop growing completely when at capacity. Admittedly this is pretty easy to achieve vanilla as well

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gonna control my pop increase with a “The Forever War” mod and introduce the Homolife Edict

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There are also automatic pop migration mods, or mods that will add the Greater Than Ourselves edict to the game before you pass the resolution for it (which basically can't be passed unless the player forces it through).

Upgraded buildings can also be helpful to make more jobs, if you can afford them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

There are also automatic pop migration mods, or mods that will add the Greater Than Ourselves edict to the game before you pass the resolution for it (which basically can't be passed unless the player forces it through).

Upgraded buildings can also be helpful to make more jobs, if you can afford them.

Modding the edict in is probably a better way then putting your hope on the council. (I had it happen that too many space assholes voted "no" on founding the council, and then 100+ years went by before the galaxy tried again. :suicide: )

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When the senate wont pass the edict, there is only one solution

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

When the senate wont pass the edict, there is only one solution

True, but even then it takes something like 18 years to push anything through between how long it takes to get the senate to vote at all, and how you can't propose the same things in a row.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Endless Trash posted:

So

-I have colonized all 60%+ hab planets in my space (there is no more space to conquer around me)
-my population keeps rising and unemployment and housing problems are hitting every colony

I’m about 5 years away from completing terraforming tech, and I’m just playing an endless and futile game of resettling unemployed pops to other planets until then. What else can I do?
There's a planetary decision that significantly slows growth and boosts emigration pressure, turn it on on all your 80+ pop planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Endless Trash posted:

So

Stop thinking of excess pops as a fail state. It's normal. It's supposed to happen.