Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None of the 3D Zelda's were remotely difficult outside of thinking to look up in the water palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shammypants posted:

the game will be severely limited by criminally underpowered hardware?

Don’t think so

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

None of the 3D Zelda's were remotely difficult outside of thinking to look up in the water palace.

it's not like the difficulty of the puzzles as much as it is difficulty in the controls. you and me, we know all the poo poo about z-target hopping and centering and roll jumping for momentum and it's like riding a bike. but i recall having trouble wrapping my head around it as a kid and it probably took me until the water dungeon to really get it down. even today, my palms get sweaty at the fire room in the final dungeon because it all feels just a little imprecise. plus, the three-dimensional nature of the dungeon maps makes the compass a little unreliable.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don’t think so

I mean if you want to shift the goalposts like Nintendo fans tend to do, and suggest that any title that appears on the Switch is good because it is able to be played on the Switch then sure, it will be fine. I'd rather see different assets in Shrines and more and higher quality assets loading on the screen :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think it’ll be fine and they’ll probably want the 70million people who already own a switch to play it !

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think it’ll be fine and they’ll probably want the 70million people who already own a switch to play it !

They can play it on *medium settings* Gimme that switch 2 Nintendo daddy

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Speaking of the wiiu I've been playing mine and its still a great console. The gamepad is great, the games are great, it died way too soon. I know zombiu is a punchline to a lot of people but it had some fun, interesting mechanics.

I've also been playing the non deluxe versions of pikmin 3, mario 3d world, and captain toad, which makes me pretty punk

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Zelda 35th anniversary compilation will be OoT, MM, WW, and TP, with OoT and MM either being ports of the 3ds versions or at least having the same graphical improvements and WW and TP being their HD remakes from Wii U

It will be titled The Legend of Zelda: Tingle's Tall Tales

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Speaking of the wiiu I've been playing mine and its still a great console. The gamepad is great, the games are great, it died way too soon. I know zombiu is a punchline to a lot of people but it had some fun, interesting mechanics.

I've also been playing the non deluxe versions of pikmin 3, mario 3d world, and captain toad, which makes me pretty punk

Zombiu was a lot of fun multiplayer and had a neat use of the tablet

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ZombiU owned. A great game. I’d love to see a sequel.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The Zelda 35th anniversary compilation will be OoT, MM, WW, and TP, with OoT and MM either being ports of the 3ds versions or at least having the same graphical improvements and WW and TP being their HD remakes from Wii U

It will be titled The Legend of Zelda: Tingle's Tall Tales
All new adventures as told by Tingle where he’s the real hero of time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Mario 3D world is so good, I bet when it gets released on switch it's going to sell like gangbusters despite being 7 years old.

Well, come to think of it, I guess GTA 5 came out 7 years ago too, so age is no barrier to games getting ported a ton. I wonder why that hasn't gotten a switch port, it ran on a drat PS3.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Twerk from Home posted:

Mario 3D world is so good, I bet when it gets released on switch it's going to sell like gangbusters despite being 7 years old.

Well, come to think of it, I guess GTA 5 came out 7 years ago too, so age is no barrier to games getting ported a ton. I wonder why that hasn't gotten a switch port, it ran on a drat PS3.

the ps3 might of had weird hardware but it was not weak at all and had okay cooling.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fur20 posted:

the 3d zeldas were really, REALLY hard, not so much because of bad design but more because they were still learning and figuring out how they wanted to do 3d zelda games, so i'm not sure if they're the best choice. the remakes tighten it up a bit, but they're still the same games at heart, warts and all. what about, like, minish cap or the oracle games, are either of these an option?

Yes, they are! We played LttP emulated on my Vita, and we can emulate the GBA games too! I didn't know there were any worth playing. Eventually we'll make our way to the Link's Awakening remake for switch, but I'll load up the GBA games in the meantime. Basically I'm ok buying an old system but don't want to drop $60 on a gameboy remake (but I'll probably get it the next time it's on sale for $40)

Thanks for the tip about the 3d ones being hard - I'm kind of terrible at games and I wouldn't be surprised if they were too hard for me to complete. Fwiw, playing "with little jones" is me playing and him telling me what to do, so it doesn't need to be completable by a 4 year old, but like I said...I'm pretty bad

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I finally started Dragon Quest 11 after I finished with Age of Calamity.

I thought the main character looked like an Erik, so I named him that. I just got the first party member and boy do I have egg on my face now...

I'm still going with it, because it's funny, but what are the odds?! Sheesh.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Achmed Jones posted:

Thanks for the tip about the 3d ones being hard - I'm kind of terrible at games and I wouldn't be surprised if they were too hard for me to complete. Fwiw, playing "with little jones" is me playing and him telling me what to do, so it doesn't need to be completable by a 4 year old, but like I said...I'm pretty bad

On the other hand, no they're not really with capitals hard at all. There's a few parts that might be difficult in the sense of not knowing where to go or what to do, which was a lot more typical of games of that era, but the actual gameplay is great. I feel games like that were meant to be played with the benefit of a bunch of kids playing it simultaneously you could ask for advice on the playground. Get them and if you ever feel like you're bashing your head against a wall just ask here or find a FAQ and don't hate yourself for it.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 29, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh yeah I'm not ashamed of using a guide when I don't know what to do (or that there's something to do at all)- I don't have time to the "try everything on everything" thing. Just give me the dang silver arrows!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, the N64 Zelda games were very polished for the time and were probably millions of kids' first 3d game and/or video game at all. Honestly I would say Link to the Past is harder than either of them but I can't think of a Zelda game out there that's hard enough that people need to be warned off from it.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

The dungeon center stuff is just the extra dungeons without any story tied to them - I think they were originally free dlc added post-release on the DS and Vita versions. There's a dozen or so dungeons that can be unlocked after you beat the main story, so if you don't mind spoilers about the unlock conditions here's the ones I'd recommend:

- Onigiri Hollow, unlocked by finishing Deichi's quest line (just keep talking to him after runs and finding the secrets he tells you about), then visiting Inari village - 20 floors, has a gimmick where rooms collapse after you enter them but the map is always revealed, which generally ends up helping the player.

- Pitfall of Life, unlocked by taking Koji to the top of the Tower of Fortune and Miracles - 28 floors, you can't gain any exp but items to boost your strength, max hp, and upgrade your gear all drop more often.

- Bizzare Tower, unlocked by taking Tao to the top of the Tower of Fortune, then encountering her at the Sparrow Inn and reaching the top of the Tower of Miracles - 45 floors, always day, you get to customize the dungeon by setting conditions for the next set of floors (stuff like "for the next 3 floors, only scrolls will drop", or "for the next 7 floors, every floor will have a monster house"). You can only use a condition once and you have to use all of them to reach the end.

- Primordial Chasm, unlocked by visiting the blacksmith in the Hermit's Hermitage - 50 floors, always day, no gimmicks

None of these dungeons let you bring in items or allies. Onigiri is probably the easiest if you just want to get your feet wet.

Thanks for the info! It’s hard to find stuff online for this series.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My MDickie post of the day, I just found out there might be an open world mode down the line:

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1268630025965899782

And been watching this royal rumble match for like the last 30 minutes (starts about 13 minutes in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5v8vsEPqM

Spoiler: Kirk Angle lasts a surprisingly long time despite losing both arms and a leg.
Edit: holy poo poo there’s more after the match

japtor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 29, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Snake Maze posted:

I can't think of a Zelda game out there that's hard enough that people need to be warned off from it.

Zelda II

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Zelda teaches typing

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Bleck posted:

A Short Hike!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I know I recommend this game a ton in this thread, but A Short Hike is like the poster child game for "cool, but too short for full price". Eight bucks and a great evening or two of entertainment.

I read a review that summed it up pretty well by saying, roughly, "after trying for a long time to find literally anything bad about this game, all we came up with is that the protagonist is a bird and some people are afraid of birds."

Grabbing it as well!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish the Turok games would go on sale again. I want to get them on Switch.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Breath of the Wilder should pull an mgs2 and have Zelda be the main character, also the switch 2 should be called the swotch, also there's been some really weird opinions on botw these last few pages because it is one of the best games ever made

also you climb that mountain for ten arrows because you get to the top, turn around and see the sun set on death mountain with a dragon emerging in the vast distance

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
give me breath of the van wilder

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope BOTW2 is really weird and different. Also I hope it brings back things that weren’t in BOTW like the hookshot.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just want more monster types. Put in Skulltulas or Darknuts or pretty much anything.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anybody enjoy their purchase of Fight Crab on Nintendo Switch?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

japtor posted:

My MDickie post of the day, I just found out there might be an open world mode down the line:

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1268630025965899782

And been watching this royal rumble match for like the last 30 minutes (starts about 13 minutes in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5v8vsEPqM

Spoiler: Kirk Angle lasts a surprisingly long time despite losing both arms and a leg.
Edit: holy poo poo there’s more after the match

I'm losing my poo poo at the name choices. Some real "Todd Bonzalez" vibes there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I want to throw my dying bows away as weapons like everything else. And arrows. And food/items. If I can kill chainsaw guy in RE4 with eggs I should be able to do that in Hyrule too.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i just want a trailer. one measly little trailer. please nintendo my children are dying

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Pro Controllers are currently just $74AUD on Amazon AU and at JB Hi-Fi.

Paper Mario: Origami King is also down to $49AUD on Amazon AU. It's well worth getting too.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I want a pro controller but im still stuck in the n64 days of $49.95

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

I just want more monster types. Put in Skulltulas or Darknuts or pretty much anything.

Redeads would be cool.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Given how much of a toy the pro controller is and with it's quality problems, these prices without a decent sale in some time are insane.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Anybody enjoy their purchase of Fight Crab on Nintendo Switch?

I did. It’s goofy as hell.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Muk Dumpster posted:

I want a pro controller but im still stuck in the n64 days of $49.95

Walmart was selling a pro controller and Mario Odyssey download code for $70.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
walmart often sells controllers for $49 in store and $59 online, I don't like the pro controller much though, the lack of a real trigger annoys me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Celexi posted:

walmart often sells controllers for $49 in store and $59 online, I don't like the pro controller much though, the lack of a real trigger annoys me

I really hate the tiny L and R buttons. They give me flashbacks to the Gamecube's Z button.