Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

MoaM posted:

Good lord, that's too much man; yo, ya'll really gonna go to a Blue Beetle movie? I ain't.

Blue Beetle is maybe the most interesting film in that list, for me. :shobon:

I mean, it's never even going to enter production, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MoaM posted:

Good lord, that's too much man; yo, ya'll really gonna go to a Blue Beetle movie? I ain't.

This is what people said about Guardians of the Galaxy, but it's DC movies so LOL.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like the world has been looking for more Static Shock for a decade now and has just never properly gotten it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dawgstar posted:

This is what people said about Guardians of the Galaxy, but it's DC movies so LOL.

Yea, Guardians proved Marvel can make basically anything work, but DC can barely get their flagship characters to work.

I have more faith in Marvel making a Dr Druid or Ka-Zar movie than The Batman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, MCU's just a machine at this point. They can throw the Guardians, Ant-Man, the Eternals, or Shang Chi into it and it spits out a movie. Everything except apparently the Inhumans. I feel like i can actually make sensible predictions and guesses at the future of the MCU because its established a direction.

I don't think that compares. Just because they're both comic franchises doesn't make their productions similar. DC's all over the place and I have absolutely no idea what to expect from it or what the next movie could be.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Had there been a single movie that was taken off the slate or anything even close to being vaporware when they announced Guardians? That heavily helped people believe that Guardians would actually happen. DC seems to announce then shuffle poo poo off the schedule all the loving time so they say "New Gods!" and all I hear is "Flash."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Had there been a single movie that was taken off the slate or anything even close to being vaporware when they announced Guardians? That heavily helped people believe that Guardians would actually happen. DC seems to announce then shuffle poo poo off the schedule all the loving time so they say "New Gods!" and all I hear is "Flash."

Ant-Man, I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Marvel also had been left with nothing but B and C listers when they set out to make movies so by the time Guardians was due to come out they had already shown they could make people care about basically anything.

Like, they made an Iron Man movie starring a washed up insurance liability of an actor and turned it into one of the biggest franchises in media within four years. People didn’t need to know anything about Guardians to show up for it, because they knew they liked Marvel.

Also the trailer kicked buckets of rear end so that really helped.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first Iron Man is a lot more Jon Favreau than Marvel at that time. He fought them on a lot of stuff, especially casting RDJ.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The first Iron Man is a lot more Jon Favreau than Marvel at that time. He fought them on a lot of stuff, especially casting RDJ.

I still marvel (no pun intended) at Favreau's career arc. As an unknown guy, he starred in and wrote Swingers, which I was obsessed with back in college because I played sax and loved that late '90s swing music scene so much. Then he makes one of the most beloved Christmas movies in recent memory (Elf), one of the greatest food movies ever (Chef), starts the MCU with Iron Man and helps revitalize RDJ's career, and then helps revitalize the Star Wars franchise after the last EIGHT movies eroded a lot of lasting goodwill. And I know that isn't even all, but I can't think of too many director/producers in modern Hollywood with such an unblemished track record. He just seems to get what will make audiences happy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I still marvel (no pun intended) at Favreau's career arc. As an unknown guy, he starred in and wrote Swingers, which I was obsessed with back in college because I played sax and loved that late '90s swing music scene so much. Then he makes one of the most beloved Christmas movies in recent memory (Elf), one of the greatest food movies ever (Chef), starts the MCU with Iron Man and helps revitalize RDJ's career, and then helps revitalize the Star Wars franchise after the last EIGHT movies eroded a lot of lasting goodwill. And I know that isn't even all, but I can't think of too many director/producers in modern Hollywood with such an unblemished track record. He just seems to get what will make audiences happy.

Lion King.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey it's only 7 movies. Star Wars purists love Rogue One.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Was it bad? I don't have any nostalgia for Disney stuff, so I didn't pay any attention when it came out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Was it bad? I don't have any nostalgia for Disney stuff, so I didn't pay any attention when it came out.

Awful, soulless tripe.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lion King is an amazing tech demo but like almost all the Disney remakes it is utter garbage.

Favreau really likes the new tech stuff through. There's some stuff that I thought must have been filmed at a live location in the mandalorian that was actually done in a virtual set.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 28, 2020

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Volume, their digital backdrop/lighting rig is a direct outgrowth of the digital set stuff they did with Lion King so whatever else can be said about it, there's a case to be made that there's no Mandalorian without the Lion King remake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He made Cowboys vs Aliens.

Which I THOUGHT I wanted.

So I guess I can't blame him for making the same mistake I did.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RevKrule posted:

They announced Inhumans in like 2014 and that... turned out to be not what they were promising.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

They announced Inhumans in like 2014 and that... turned out to be not what they were promising.

I think Inhumand was at the tail end of the Ike Perlmutter debacle. Dude was an egomaniac cheapskate with bad taste, and he seemed to mostly want to shovel garbage out as rapidly as possible for a quick buck rather than take the time and money (and cooperation) needed to develop something that could become a consistent, stable resource.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
The funniest thing with the Lion King is that it made 1.6 billion dollar, so we get a sequel by Barry Jenkins (Moonlight, If Beale Street Could Talk).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think DC works best as TV shows and Marvel works best as movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I think DC works best as TV shows and Marvel works best as movies.

Doom Patrol is superior to basically every single DC live action movie, it's true.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Doom Patrol is superior to basically every single DC live action movie, it's true.

Both Batman shows are better than 7 of the 11 live action batman movies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

He made Cowboys vs Aliens.

Which I THOUGHT I wanted.

So I guess I can't blame him for making the same mistake I did.

Hey, that movie gave me cowboys, aliens, and scenery shots of places from my childhood. Didn't need anything more.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I quite enjoyed Cowboys & Aliens, but honestly I like westerns, alien invasions, and the mixing of both, and it's not really something that comes around often. And honestly, give me a fun movie and I'm very willing to forgive it for being dumb or bad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Hell, Legends of Tomorrow is better than every single DC movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Both Batman shows are better than 7 of the 11 live action batman movies.

There are at least 5 Batman shows!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

Hell, Legends of Tomorrow is better than every single DC movie.

It's better than every marvel movie too

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the Suicide Squad sequel is the only one that’s really gotten me interested at all and that’s mostly because of Gunn.

Isn't it not a sequel? I feel like Gunn said it isn't a sequel because his is called The Suicide Squad rather than Suicide Squad

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Isn't it not a sequel? I feel like Gunn said it isn't a sequel because his is called The Suicide Squad rather than Suicide Squad

It's not a direct sequel but it doesn't contradict the first one and features several of the same cast members.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression is that they wanted to "reboot" it because the first was such a disaster and Idris Elba was cast as Deadshot to replace Will Smith but Margot Robbie and a bunch others got brought back. Then someone realized that was very stupid too so they made Elba someone else and now its a "soft reboot" which I guess just means they're gonna not directly reference the first one. But who cares unless you like bring Enchantress back or something? DCEU is so unnecessarily messy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There are at least 5 Batman shows!

I only counted the live action. If we expand to animated, 7 out of 9 batman shows are better than 8 of the 13 batman movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

My impression is that they wanted to "reboot" it because the first was such a disaster and Idris Elba was cast as Deadshot to replace Will Smith but Margot Robbie and a bunch others got brought back. Then someone realized that was very stupid too so they made Elba someone else and now its a "soft reboot" which I guess just means they're gonna not directly reference the first one. But who cares unless you like bring Enchantress back or something? DCEU is so unnecessarily messy.

They changed Elba’s character because they realized that they probably want to be able to get Smith back down the line.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Stupid question about WW1984 I don't think warrants spoiling: did they ever actually use the name 'Cheetah' in the movie? Duh you see the shoes early on, then the punk clothes, then "I want to be an Apex predator", then the final fight, it's the loving Cheetah but they don't ever out and out call her the name do they?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cael posted:

Stupid question about WW1984 I don't think warrants spoiling: did they ever actually use the name 'Cheetah' in the movie? Duh you see the shoes early on, then the punk clothes, then "I want to be an Apex predator", then the final fight, it's the loving Cheetah but they don't ever out and out call her the name do they?

No they never say the name.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't remember, has any DCEU movie actually called Diana "Wonder Woman"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I can't remember, has any DCEU movie actually called Diana "Wonder Woman"?

Definitely not in her two movies, not sure about BvS or JL.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"I wonder, woman," Clark growled at the question, his eyes glowing red.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

"Boy, I'm just so tired of all these Wonder Women"

Does make me remember a podcast riffing on BvS that rightly pointed out the entire stupidity of Lex Luthor having a set of files about these heroes with logos/emblems for their names which he would have no way of knowing and in some cases they wouldn't even HAVE established names. "WW . . . well clearly she's a woman so she's Woman Woman".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's definitely kinda weird that these films have to play around the setup of WW being a secret figure that's been hidden all these years, but she's also just out there in full costume all the time talking with everyone, she doesn't wear a mask, she led a siege into the White House??, and also she uses the exact same name -- Diana Prince -- in World War I, in the 80s, and also the 00s, doing apparently the exact same vocation.

And I don't think it's ever actually going to be explained, it's just...Hypertime or whatever.