Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am Otis posted:

That's a piping hot load, my friend. Enjoy it in your ears.

It's pointed squarely at my junk right now and is quite enjoyable thank you :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
Schecter Robert Smith Ultracure.

Not sure I was ready for how heavy this thing is

Decayed fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 7, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bought a montreal assmbly count to five pedal

https://soundcloud.com/hugespiders/ct5-test/s-1V0VY34wndp

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That’s awesome. You can apparently upgrade the firmware?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Decayed posted:

Schecter Robert Smith Ultracure.

Not sure I was ready for how heavy this thing is

This is rad. It looks like the guitar Buzz Osborne should play instead of his EGC. Strikes me as more of a sludgy beast than a “Boys Don’t Cry” vibe but that’s probably confirmation bias.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

NAD: Filmosound 385 by Bell and Howell. Stoked to convert this into a guitar amp. Got it from a nice old lady for $50.

https://youtu.be/WmAHGSOuZmM

Edit: this is the amp the Walrus 385 emulates.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 13, 2020

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Nice, I still need to look into making the second channel on my Silvertone HiFi amp useable.

And I bought another fuzz.

Bought on Amazon, shipped from the UK so it took three weeks, but only $40.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
at first i was confused because those shouldn't cost more than like $30 new. then i looked at reverb :wtc:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

NAD: Filmosound 385 by Bell and Howell. Stoked to convert this into a guitar amp. Got it from a nice old lady for $50.

https://youtu.be/WmAHGSOuZmM

Edit: this is the amp the Walrus 385 emulates.

Don’t know poo poo about this but it rules, :nice:

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

at first i was confused because those shouldn't cost more than like $30 new. then i looked at reverb :wtc:

They're only $28-30, but once a few people on YouTube let the secret out a ways back the retailers carrying them have sold out the moment they restock. The secondhand market was $60+ on a good day back in march.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Post your Christmas Loot.

I took off the strings that came with it, conditioned the fretboard, removed the plastic, put on some NYXL 10-52s and some nut sauce, adjusted the bridge height so the action is nice and low, no buzz, and it really kicks rear end. The fretwork is good, no sprouting and no sharpness anywhere. No high spots or dead frets, even at the newly-low action adjustment. The sanding they did seems rushed, as there are spots around the horns and such that could have used more careful attention, but the finish is good overall and the soldering is good. Very good value at $380 or so.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

^^^ That green is killer — I LOVE it!

I’m really satisfied with the gear I have and it suits my beginner level just fine, but Santa did deliver a nice tuner/metronome.

Running it through the FX loop on the amp just to keep cables clean and it seems to work perfectly.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 28, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Got Surfybear Metal tank with Christmas money, coming in the mail

it’s probably going to sound pretty similar to my digital emulation, but i can kick it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think these Epis, especially that color green, will be loved for a long time. Instant classic and I hate you because I want it :love:

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Post your Christmas Loot.

I took off the strings that came with it, conditioned the fretboard, removed the plastic, put on some NYXL 10-52s and some nut sauce, adjusted the bridge height so the action is nice and low, no buzz, and it really kicks rear end. The fretwork is good, no sprouting and no sharpness anywhere. No high spots or dead frets, even at the newly-low action adjustment. The sanding they did seems rushed, as there are spots around the horns and such that could have used more careful attention, but the finish is good overall and the soldering is good. Very good value at $380 or so.

I hate green guitars; they look tacky and plastic. But God-drat is that a pretty little thing and I am mad jealous.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do those style Epi’s have the same horrible neck dive problem that the Epi SG basses do? I owned an EB-3 as a starter bass but the neck dive made me return it within a week. A shame because I LOVED the look of that guitar :[

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Thank you guys for the green Epi love.

I haven’t strapped it yet, but it feels very much like it will dive. I ordered a wide (for friction’s sake) strap and I’ll update when I see how it goes.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Thank you guys for the green Epi love.

I haven’t strapped it yet, but it feels very much like it will dive. I ordered a wide (for friction’s sake) strap and I’ll update when I see how it goes.

Any guitar with a strap button on the rear like that will be prone to dive due to the button's facing acting like a fulcrum. Definitely share whatever results you get with the strap.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
The green Epiphone is a badass looking guitar. That green just pops. I got an Idiotbox dark waves pedal for Christmas. I don't really know much about it except it sounds good and I like it. Trying it out was the first time I've played in a month+, but I already have a song in mind I want to record with it. Here's a demo from some pedal reviewer-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaRjJR3HlDY

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
I got a Tascam DP 006 Pocketstudio just before Christmas, and I love it. I could probably record a whole album on this thing and it's smaller than a Discworld.

Also my dad made me a really nice wide leather guitar strap with Rush's 2112, Third Man Records, the Two Tone Records guy (Walt Jabsco), a lion cause I'm a Leo, my initials, the RHCP asterisk, my wife and kids names in an outline of a Jazzmaster (my main guitar) and the name of my cat who just passed after 14 years. It's very sweet and fits very comfortably on my bass.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I haven't bought my christmas gear yet, but it's probably going to either be a JC-40 (the 120 just seems Too Big and Too Expensive for an apartment, especially since most of my playing these days is past midnight) or some kind of new guitar (humbuckers, hardtail, beyond that i dunno)

the main problem is that I don't want to go into a store to try guitars out in the current situation and I don't like the idea of getting something in the mail and then having to send it back

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That SG rules

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

hexwren posted:

I haven't bought my christmas gear yet, but it's probably going to either be a JC-40 (the 120 just seems Too Big and Too Expensive for an apartment, especially since most of my playing these days is past midnight) or some kind of new guitar (humbuckers, hardtail, beyond that i dunno)

the main problem is that I don't want to go into a store to try guitars out in the current situation and I don't like the idea of getting something in the mail and then having to send it back

Having had a JC-120 in an apartment, just don't. That thing is LOUD. (And also CLEAN. And WOBBLY.) (gently caress I miss that amp.)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Weird, I realize I posted this on the guitar thread but not this gear thread.

Squier vintage modified 72 telecaster thinline. After a week or so of playing it, I've realized something must be wrong with the wiring from the factory. The bridge and middle switch position has both pickups activated in both positions. Also had to adjust the truss rod and play with the intonation now it sounds great. They do a free setup and new strings so I'm going to bring it in and have them check it out.

The same day I bought that, I went to another store to check out an acoustic I was dead set on purchasing (Martin road series d10).
Then I found this.

A used Breedlove Roots series DSR/H for $800 which looked brand new. Made in Oregon, no fret wear, no buzz, and all the wood looked immaculate. Strings were brand new. It played perfectly. Sounded great, warm and balanced with nice bottom end and not too bright. Exactly what I was looking for. Standard dreadnought and came with a super plush deluxe hardshell case. Sitka top, rosewood sides and back. Mohagany neck, ebony fretboard, abalone details. Seeing what they're going for elsewhere, it felt like a steal.

The more I play this guitar the more I love it. So glad I pulled the trigger on it.

Now to decide on what to do with my old strat. Thinking about repainting, new pickguard and pickups. Recrown frets. New pots/switch.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 29, 2020

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

hexwren posted:

I grabbed a JC-22 a while back for my tiny apartment, and it's just the right size for me. Both the 22 and the 40 have headphone jacks though, so either should work for late apartment playing if you're willing to play with headphones. There's no distortion on the JC-22 though.

My Christmas gift for myself was a Soundbrenner vibrating metronome. In general I like it, since I find it less distracting than watching or listening to a standard metronome. Some features are locked into the app though, like changing vibration strength or using subdivisions, and the app will only connect to the metronome if you give it access to your location. Maybe I'm an old man yelling at clouds, but that seems like needlessly intrusive bullshit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i got one of the new gretsch baritones in jade for christmas

the jade looks way more green in person, the bridge pickup sounds great, it’s a very comfortable neck

downsides are the neck pickup is a little weak/dark and there are a lot of rough fret spots

overall pretty fuckin solid and i’m enjoying it a lot

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I got me a better whistle and a strap for my uke. I'm ready for the folk jams of 2021. :guitar:

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

no broccoli please posted:

I got a Tascam DP 006 Pocketstudio just before Christmas, and I love it. I could probably record a whole album on this thing and it's smaller than a Discworld.

I got the DP03SD a while back and I love it.

I really can't be dealing with my full DAW setup and I love having something that I can stick in a backpack and use to throw together a quick demo or spend a little time and put together a pretty passable full mix. It really helped with my "paralysis through analysis" problem (too much tech and options getting in the way of just getting on with recording).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Decided to take advantage of Ableton's current promotion and finally got around to upgrading my copy of Live Standard. Now to start playing around with all these extra instruments, effects and packs, and also finally to see what all this Max for Live stuff is about.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Last guitar of the year,

Bought from Pawn Americas website, from a store 30 miles away, and the shipping method had it travel over 400 miles to get to me. But it was free shipping and got to me 2 days early, so whatever!

As to what it is, looks like someone's Warmoth dream guitar. Need to pull the neck and see if they're stamped. Two piece ash body with nearly invisible seam from the front. Birdseye maple neck. Sperzel locking tuners, and two SD Screamin' Demons on the neck and a middle with a full size Screamin' Demon at the bridge.

It's got wear and dings and a few chips, but out of the box it feels great. Does have bent shafts on the pots, which is an easy enough fix since they are also scratchy as hell and a bit stiff. It is also really fricken' heavy, almost 10 pounds.

But I'm a sucker for a natural finish ash Strat, and my total cost with tax was under $140. Worth three times that in parts.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Holy cow that’s a score.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

widefault posted:

Last guitar of the year,

Bought from Pawn Americas website, from a store 30 miles away, and the shipping method had it travel over 400 miles to get to me. But it was free shipping and got to me 2 days early, so whatever!

As to what it is, looks like someone's Warmoth dream guitar. Need to pull the neck and see if they're stamped. Two piece ash body with nearly invisible seam from the front. Birdseye maple neck. Sperzel locking tuners, and two SD Screamin' Demons on the neck and a middle with a full size Screamin' Demon at the bridge.

It's got wear and dings and a few chips, but out of the box it feels great. Does have bent shafts on the pots, which is an easy enough fix since they are also scratchy as hell and a bit stiff. It is also really fricken' heavy, almost 10 pounds.

But I'm a sucker for a natural finish ash Strat, and my total cost with tax was under $140. Worth three times that in parts.

I didn't know pawn shops even had websites. Very nice.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Krustic posted:

I didn't know pawn shops even had websites. Very nice.

I think only Pawn America has a full storefront where you can buy, but there's also https://www.buya.com that is basically an online marketplace for the smaller shops. Has pricing, inventory, and even a payment portal for loans/etc. There's a three store "chain" locally that uses Buya, but for some reason most of their inventory no longer shows online. Used to be great, could check if anything came in each day to determine if I was going to stop by after work. Of course, Buya also has a shitload of bad pictures and misleading info, just like a real pawn shop!

Pulled the neck off, made by Mighty Mite, licensed by Fender

Body is marked what appears to be C October 62. No other markings, HSH routed with what appears to be shielding paint in the cavities.

Been looking around Reverb, see if I see anything with a similar marking, but nothing so far.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Ah, Coctober. My favorite month.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol. Nice guitar and great score. Most pawn shops I've been to are ridiculously overpriced for guitars.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Do those style Epi’s have the same horrible neck dive problem that the Epi SG basses do? I owned an EB-3 as a starter bass but the neck

made me return it within a week. A shame because I LOVED the look of that guitar :[

Nebraska Tim posted:

Any guitar with a strap button on the rear like that will be prone to dive due to the button's facing acting like a fulcrum. Definitely share whatever results you get with the strap.
I tried it with a cheap nylon weave Ernie Ball strap and it would slowly dive if I wiggled my shoulders a bit. It doesn't seem heavy enough to really rotate briskly to the ground (like an old Gibson SG I used to have). Wearing it with the Fender cloth strap, I could feel that the neck side was a bit heavier than the body side, but the dive was almost completely fixed. Just that little added friction seemed to help a lot.

I was afraid I was going to have to put some truck nutz on my lower strap button.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nice I’m glad that works for you! My first experience was with a really slick nylon strap, like the kind made of old seatbelt material or something. That thing basically let the guitar do a 180 in the time it took me to release the neck to scratch my nose :haw:

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I had one of those Goth Epiphone flying Vs (I know, I know) and moved the strapnut to the back thinking it would help with the neck Dive. It didn't.

In the end I got a strap pouch designed for an old-school wireless setup and dropped a small block of lead in there. It balanced out nicely but it was a pin in the rear end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Impulse bought this last night to see if it can kick me back into DnB

Cannot W A I T for this to ship! Beyond excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Finally upgrading from my 2004 butterscotch Squier Affinity Tele. Bought it in 2005 and while I had a few basses, I've only had one guitar. Got this in the mail today. Never thought I'd own a Schecter but this hardware is my dream setup and I'm not paying Fender thousands.

Plays loving amazing. Able to move all over the neck so easily. Heavier than the Squier but feels so much better to have hanging on your body. Came with no blemishes or flaws, intonation and action set up perfectly. Just need to stretch strings for Bigsby.