Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ewan posted:

It's OK. It's all going to get fixed by $900bn of trade deals!
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1343686126633148420

This is what Brexit is going to be. The Express telling people that we're actually loads better off than ever before while their readers nod sagely despite having no food after paying £8,000 for a bout of tonsillitis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cerv posted:

yes. unless you have a particularly large suitcase. £390 of goods bought on holiday allowed before you need to declare for customs duty.

the major point that's going to trip people up is that instead of "for personal consumption" there are now hard limits on alcohol.
42 litres of beer
18 litres of still wine
4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV
no more Calais booze cruise

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/28/brexit-customs-duties-to-apply-to-eu-goods-worth-more-than-390

I dunno, you could still save yourself a couple of hundred quid on a booze cruise vs UK prices if you max out that allowance.

I did buy considerably more than that to stock up for my wedding a few years ago, though, so obviously can't do that anymore.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Greens have just created the gold standard of awkward standoffs.

https://twitter.com/D_Libris/status/1343648991561592834

I've had (E&W) Greens swear blind that they've not got issues with transphobia :psyduck:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

stev posted:

This is what Brexit is going to be. The Express telling people that we're actually loads better off than ever before while their readers nod sagely despite having no food after paying £8,000 for a bout of tonsillitis.

thanks to the triple lock they’re immune from any consequence tho

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All of those stories got posted here, nobody commented on them apart from the ASCII thing.

I completely agree it's not dumb to mock the general "can we just stop things getting worse, a little bit" self-imposed limit to the ambition of the middle-class liberal, and to use that as a jumping-off point for a conversation about why and how they've got to that mindset and how it affects our political and media class.

It *is* dumb to turn that post into a purity test for every poster ITT and if they don't match your level of outrage over what is on its face something as consequential as a fart in a duvet treat them like they've just came in and spouted the 14 words. Obviously I'm being a *tad* hyperbolic and I'm not singling you out as the only offender here, but the speed and intensity with which several people turned their full ire on other posters was loving ridiculous. I get it, it's a lovely time of year, it's dark and cold and it feels like it's been a very, very long time since anything good happened and feels like it'll be even longer before anything good happens again, but a few people ITT maybe need to get some more roughage in their diet or something.

Posters here are NOT the enemy. Go scream at blueticks from a burner account if you need to get that out of your system, because displays like this are what lead to the dearth of actual political discussion ITT - lots of posters feel like they're walking on eggshells and don't dare gainsay anything they think might be Thread Wisdom in case they get a reaction like that.

Yeah, fair enough. I’m definitely a little on edge so perhaps a little snappier than usual.

Re: Brexit deal. It’s fun because we sort of knew what might happen with a full on softy, a full on hard ndb, but with this mishmash I’m really not sure. It’s a cliffhanger folks!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I became a green politician to uh... defend the concept of biological sex

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Its kind of the problem with the green party. Like you can be green but also... kind of UKIP aligned or I dunno anything.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh, apparently the TERF was co-chair last year too. Fantastic :rolleyes:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cerv posted:

yes. unless you have a particularly large suitcase. £390 of goods bought on holiday allowed before you need to declare for customs duty.

the major point that's going to trip people up is that instead of "for personal consumption" there are now hard limits on alcohol.
42 litres of beer
18 litres of still wine
4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/28/brexit-customs-duties-to-apply-to-eu-goods-worth-more-than-390

I mean that is still Quite A Lot of booze

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

feedmegin posted:

I mean that is still Quite A Lot of booze
nice post username combo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

I became a green politician to uh... defend the concept of biological sex
Large offshore wind and large immobile gametes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I completely agree it's not dumb to mock the general "can we just stop things getting worse, a little bit" self-imposed limit to the ambition of the middle-class liberal, and to use that as a jumping-off point for a conversation about why and how they've got to that mindset and how it affects our political and media class.
That would have been a better conversation, but I suspect it boils down to their job not actually being that bad and their life being okay and not thinking that it might be anything otherwise for anyone else. Which is a human thing but also they publicly write about it.

Gonzo McFee posted:

25 years ago there was a considerable amount of art made about the existential dread of having a job that was too stable and mundane and the blandness of every need being met and living in comfort. These fuckers don't even have the dream of getting back to that. They view "Never Dream" not only as pragmatic but aspirational.
Thread movie (and books, comics and other art) time, I can think of Fight Club, The Matrix, Office Space, American Psycho (kinda) as 90s "one must imagine Sisyphus snappy" type things.

e: I suppose coming from the complete other end there's Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a loving big television :wankah:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 29, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Regarde Aduck posted:

[[Spoiler warning]]

That’s projection. You can play a number of ideologies and the game then presents realistic pitfalls to each. If those pitfalls are insurmountable to you then too bad. Get a better ideology or at least a better mental fortitude. The games response to racial theory, for example, is the Semenese supremist. A minority that has internalised the ideology of his oppressors in order to become one. This is a real thing that happens. The game doesn’t judge this character. He IS strong and your only methods of dealing with him is to beat him at his own game, superiority of strength, talk it out and sacrifice your own integrity or work around him altogether. None of these routes result in him changing his own ideology. He never gets his comeuppance in some childish bit of wish-fulfilment. So what do you take from this? If you went in thinking racial theory types were bad, and I hope you do, then you won’t have changed your mind in the end and the character certainly hasn’t changed his. For a ‘masturbatory’ game this is remarkably evenhanded. Like the real world it doesn’t revolve around moments of perfect clarity and reckoning. The bad man will never clutch his head, screaming ‘I was wrong about everything’, before falling from the gantry. His faults are only what you think they are. The game does not judge him. It presents the scenario but does it with enough verisimilitude that we, as leftists, find it darkly humourous.

Every other ideology is treated similarly. The moralists (neoliberals) talk big but do little, watching as the poor get poorer and the rich get richer. They offer stability and do provide it but at great cost. You could absolutely agree with them in the game. You could agree that stability trumps all. The game won’t try to make you feel any worse than supporting the other factions. The communists? Most in this thread, me included, obviously gravitate here. But they’re presented again in a brutally honest fashion. In game they are represented as a well meaning but practically extinct force. At least in present day. During the revolution they crushed the workers between the artillery of the neoliberal coalition and their own, ensuring mass death and self destruction. Dogma ever the enemy. In the present of the game the current issue facing this faction is the ever growing weight of failure. The ideology itself is pure and good, but it always fails. Why? That’s up to you. I don’t see how this is masturbatory to ‘chapo leftists’ because the message is very much ‘we’re never getting communism but we endure’. The game indicates no benefits to this ideology other than what you come up with yourself. It does show you the ever mounting pile of bodies.

I think the reason the game is like this is because you’re not playing an ideology. You’re playing a person. A deeply flawed person like the rest of us. He shouldn’t ever be reduced just down to what ideology he is or whether it’s the most correct one. One day the entity formally known as Harry lost his mind and identity and something horrifyingly glorious is happening. He is about to awaken and if he becomes a neoliberal during that awakening is really not the point.

Extremely good post but you've accidently made my point for me. The game pretends that ideologies can be played, in fact it presents an entire psychosocial skill set that mechanically creates a system where ideologies and the underpinning thought structures could be used combatitively, but then just nopes almost everything besides what it intends the player to do. Imagine a Baldurs Gate or an Icewind Dale that gave the same range of character options but if you play anything but a tru-nu Druid you just automatically lose every fight, and the game compensates for that by adding an 'okay i surrender i suck' dialogue every time you lose? You'd rightfully ask what the point of all that mechanical pretence was.

The character you bring up is a great example of how the game has great ideas but shits the bed. The dialogue where the guy lists out all these fictional races and their failings is legit a perfect indictment of racism because it's a meaningless series of nouns to the player, you don't give a poo poo about those nouns and oh-snap maybe real world racial distinctions are just as fundamentally meaningless? It's really good but then they ruin it, if you haven't built your character around beating that specific early skill check then your only actual option to progess is to sublimate to the woke racism of it and that just sucks, it's not clever anymore it honestly reads like this black-coded character might not actually be "Semenese" after all.

The argument that 'oh it's really a character study' is just a cop out, Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 2013 is as competent a character study as DE it just wasn't as pretentious about it and has consistently more satisfying/supportive gameplay mechanics too.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 29, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Eddie Izzard has changed her pronouns so of course the LGB Alliance are all upset that she hurt their feefees.

Spoiler for LGB Assholes comments:

https://twitter.com/charlotte2153/status/1343661240887996417?s=09

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Large offshore wind and large immobile gametes!

That would have been a better conversation, but I suspect it boils down to their job not actually being that bad and their life being okay and not thinking that it might be anything otherwise for anyone else. Which is a human thing but also they publicly write about it.

Thread movie (and books, comics and other art) time, I can think of Fight Club, The Matrix, Office Space, American Psycho (kinda) as 90s "one must imagine Sisyphus snappy" type things.

e: I suppose coming from the complete other end there's Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a loving big television :wankah:

Would deffo choose heroin over liberalism.

I doubt there's a party in this midden that doesn't have at least a vocal minority of prominent members who are transphobic bigots unfortunately. It's garbage but that is Britain for you, garbage

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Quoted in totality because the tweet snapshot misses bits:

Marie Le Conte, journalist, presumed hated posted:

What I’ve learnt from 2020
I am sitting here at home, comfortably working from my living room, having woken up a bit late, and about to make myself a nice and healthy lunch. I will probably have a bath later, cook myself a tasty dinner, watch a movie on my projector and go to bed at a reasonable time. “Was 2020 really all bad?”, I wonder. Have I not grown as a person? Do I really want to go back to my stressed, cramped, overly expensive life when all this is over?
I stop and think.
Then I realise: I absolutely want to go back to my stressed, cramped, overly expensive life. I want underwhelming sandwiches that somehow cost £5.95 and I want flat pints that cost the same. I want to be on the tube at rush hour, crushed between sweaty men, on my way to a pub full of the worst people on earth. I want to say things like “yes I’d love a drink! I can do Wednesday week after next or the Tuesday after that?”. I want to feel so tired I’m on the verge of collapse by Wednesday night, fully aware I’m barely halfway through the week. This year has not changed me one bit; I have not grown, or evolved. I want to get back to exactly what I was doing before it started. This is what I’ve learnt from 2020.

The author, I think, is evoking the feeling of how 2020 has been a year of tension between two magnetic poles and of our inability to see clearly while still pinned between them. Our lives have been somehow in paralysis, yet also rushing forward.
Compare the changes in the author's life before and after. From "underwhelming sandwich" to "a nice and healthy lunch". From tiredness "on the verge of collapse" to "bed at a reasonable time". The phrasing is of wistful reminiscence, but the words describe a ghastly former life. And that feeling, so obviously ridiculous yet so hard to ignore "This year has not changed me one bit; I have not grown, or evolved".

At face value the article might ask "why can't I go back", but that's so contradicted in the text we have to look deeper to find sense, and if we do that we find a more interesting question:
Why don't I feel like I've gone forward?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Would deffo choose heroin over liberalism.
I've been reading some interesting research about opium use in pre-industrial England and it turns out that the liberalism might be what makes the heroin dangerous.

It compared it to the Hudson's Bay Company, where workers from throughout Britain would usually become alcoholics upon arriving in the divided, atomized, isolated environment of work work and provide your own other entertainment, so they tried switching to employees from Orkney, who had a reputation for sobriety and were used to high northern latitudes. Who would usually become alcoholics upon arriving in the company towns. And then stop being so after a week of being very ill if they managed long enough to be returned to Orkney.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

The author, I think, is evoking the feeling of how 2020 has been a year of tension between two magnetic poles and of our inability to see clearly while still pinned between them. Our lives have been somehow in paralysis, yet also rushing forward.
Compare the changes in the author's life before and after. From "underwhelming sandwich" to "a nice and healthy lunch". From tiredness "on the verge of collapse" to "bed at a reasonable time". The phrasing is of wistful reminiscence, but the words describe a ghastly former life. And that feeling, so obviously ridiculous yet so hard to ignore "This year has not changed me one bit; I have not grown, or evolved".

At face value the article might ask "why can't I go back", but that's so contradicted in the text we have to look deeper to find sense, and if we do that we find a more interesting question:

She just loving sucks op

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkOneinFour/status/1336925052227497986

The UK is just an elaborate money laundering scheme where I have to live.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/MarkOneinFour/status/1336925052227497986

The UK is just an elaborate money laundering scheme where I have to live.

This is properly staggering. I wonder if that capacity was then quietly used by the private providers when they realised they weren’t going to be getting any additional NHS patients.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Guavanaut posted:

American Beauty is the absolute pinnacle of that kind or self-absorbed middle class angst.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol capacity used.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

think there may not be a worse human being than priti patel

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VileLL posted:

think there may not be a worse human being than priti patel

The people who've looked at her work and public statements and said 'yes I will put this person in a position of power again'.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol i know her constituency well.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jakabite posted:

This is properly staggering. I wonder if that capacity was then quietly used by the private providers when they realised they weren’t going to be getting any additional NHS patients.

More likely when they mean capacity it's actually "hypothetical capacity we would have if we contract in all NHS staff to work when they should be sleeping".
This is like, business as usual nowadays though. Overpromise and then pray you don't get asked to deliver/poo poo a brick if you do.
If the penalty clauses aren't severe, there's no real downside to it. The worst that'll happen is you get paid for what you actually do deliver, and some reputational damage which is meaningless when you hold a scarce resource.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

On the other hand, most doctors who work for private hospitals consider their work for the NHS as their 'primary' employment.
Given the stresses they've been under as part of their regular work, can I blame them for not putting themselves forwards for shifts when they could be getting some valuable downtime? No, I can't.

Can I blame the Govt for funnelling vast sums of money to the cunts who run private healthcare in this country? Yes, I loving well can.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh absolutely, not blaming the doctors or anyone else working on the ground at all. Every time you think they can’t get more blatant about it, they do. It’s impressive.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Gonzo McFee posted:

She just loving sucks op

Can you elaborate? A quick scan of her articles shows some output which is definitely UKMT-adjacent and some things which aren't. But then it's all probably written to a brief if she wants to pay the leccy bill anyway.
This thread is a really useful resource of opinions and perspectives that I don't otherwise encounter IRL. When they're explained, they've helped me understand and persuade others.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Gonzo McFee posted:

She just loving sucks op

Honestly yeah. She's just another lovely lib.

I can't point you to any specific stuff because it's not like I keep a database of this poo poo (maybe I should start). Those of us ripping on her for posting this latest poo poo are looking at it through that lens. She is a lovely lib, let's not give her the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbD1XDhKr8U

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

Can you elaborate? A quick scan of her articles shows some output which is definitely UKMT-adjacent and some things which aren't. But then it's all probably written to a brief if she wants to pay the leccy bill anyway.
This thread is a really useful resource of opinions and perspectives that I don't otherwise encounter IRL. When they're explained, they've helped me understand and persuade others.

She's a never Corbyn liberal who just wrote an article about how she would trade her comfy middle class life for the dumb bullshit that ordinary people are still having to do. "oh I can do my entire job from home but what I wouldn't give to be back in the rat race like everyone that never stopped for."

You think you've added context that makes her look better, but you've made her look worse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Endjinneer posted:

And that is why it is pathetic.

If you ask me what I want to go back to normal, what I have not been able to do this year, I want to be able to go to the beach during summer and spend another few days in the fleeting yet blissful embrace of nature, surrounded by other happy people doing the same, I want to be able to hug my friends again, I want to be able to be with people facing death and be able to at least hold their goddamn hand rather than sitting at the other side of the room looking sad. I do not think "oh I wish I could buy lovely sandwiches again".

A person whose reflections on the year amount to that is living the single most pathetic life I can imagine, it is revolting, repulsive, this isn't a person who isn't suffering with depression which I could sympathise with, this is a person who has simply nothing else in their life than animalistic consumption of the most miserable poo poo. And they realise that it is poo poo, and instead of thinking "perhaps I can be better" they reject that and say that no, they like being a grunting pig with their face in the slop, the true affront is the suggestion that they could or should be otherwise. Even a better form of consumption, a form that makes them happier, they explicitly reject and demand a return to the worse form because it is familiar. That we all return to it so that they can.

And this, from somebody whose literal job is to have creative thoughts and to write about them. What a waste, what an absolute travesty of supposed merit that a person who thinks this has that job. And at the same time, how completely, perfectly emblematic it is of the profession, because that is what they all write, all think, all of the time. We have an entire industry of people whose job is to do that. And yet they all constantly assure each other and the rest of us that they are having creative ideas, worthwhile ideas. It is an industry, a society, full of idiots, convinced they are brilliant.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 29, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Who was that guardian columnist who wrote about how much she missed working in an office as an argument for getting everyone to go back to the office before it came out that not only did they not work in an office, they had been working from home for about ten years?

Because I'm getting similar feelings to this article.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Lol he's so bad at this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/28/starmer-high-profile-labour-rebellion-brexit-deal-vote

The Guardian posted:

Keir Starmer is facing a high-profile rebellion against Labour’s Brexit position on the eve of the vote in parliament, as prominent MPs including John McDonnell and Clive Lewis accused him of “falling into the trap of rallying around this rotten deal”.

Labour is likely to contain a major rebellion of frontbench MPs but an increasing number of prominent supporters are urging Starmer to change course. Backbenchers have also raised concerns on private WhatsApp groups that Labour’s endorsement for the deal has been given without the legislation being published.

My MP has been sounding out LP members in her constituency about how she should vote and since this is one of the remainiest places in the country I'll be interested to see what feedback she gets and whether she'll dare to stray from the whip in the end.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It would be nice if there was an oppostition party leader who opposed the government, a shame that it can never happen again due to anti semitism

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

There is physical capacity and there is staffing capacity. Much of what was bought was physical capacity since the private sector in the UK largely comprises of (1) buildings where NHS consultants do private work in and (2) a few scattered independent providers.

Physical capacity was very useful in creating green zones for ongoing elective capacity during the original covid hit by keeping all the COVID in the local hospital while the knees/hips/cataracts etc go to the Spire. It doesn't actually increase the number of boots on the ground in any meaningful way and most trusts are struggling for lack of staff rather than infrastructure due to PFI. So when things wound down after the 1st peak, all the elective work just went back to base.

No department will use (2) if they can help it as they have a reputation of being less reliable if they're truly independent (and the overseeing department will have to take on the governance burden - I.e. they gently caress up the contracting dept has to clean up.

In general doctors are paid sufficiently well that you won't need to take on extra work on top of an already stressful nhs contract unless you're responsible for Boris Johnson levels of alimony. It's just another opportunity to gently caress up your mental health and/or career.

Nurses are underpaid and overworked so I can't see the appeal of doing more of the same poo poo for pennies. This isn't like doing double shifts flipping burgers, mistakes can and will gently caress up.your career.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Cerv posted:

42 litres of beer
18 litres of still wine

as someone who has flown multiple times with a spare suitcase filled with olive oil - thank god

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I've been reading some interesting research about opium use in pre-industrial England and it turns out that the liberalism might be what makes the heroin dangerous.

It compared it to the Hudson's Bay Company, where workers from throughout Britain would usually become alcoholics upon arriving in the divided, atomized, isolated environment of work work and provide your own other entertainment, so they tried switching to employees from Orkney, who had a reputation for sobriety and were used to high northern latitudes. Who would usually become alcoholics upon arriving in the company towns. And then stop being so after a week of being very ill if they managed long enough to be returned to Orkney.

Like that study they did about how rats recovered from Heroin use much easier when they were in groups to provide support.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mfcrocker posted:

I've had (E&W) Greens swear blind that they've not got issues with transphobia :psyduck:

It's almost like these issues are deep rooted in politicians tbh..

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just confirms that Starmer is following Ed Milliband's path into irrelevancy through continual timid, nervous triangulation.

Looking at the media stuff Labour's putting out now, I get such a strong sense of 'going through the motions'. It feels like people who've already written off the next election and are treading water, waiting for something to come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just confirms that Starmer is following Ed Milliband's path into irrelevancy through continual timid, nervous triangulation.

Looking at the media stuff Labour's putting out now, I get such a strong sense of 'going through the motions'. It feels like people who've already written off the next election and are treading water, waiting for something to come up.

Someone get him the death knell that is a bacon sandwich stat then.