Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Leavemywife posted:

So, what does that mean?

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm not a law talker but it appears that the republican senate is either going to give everyone $2000 or explain to everyone why they didn't give them $2000.

Two separate things. The $600 --> $2000 bill is now in the Senate. It needs to clear the 60-vote filibuster hurdle, then pass on a majority vote, then get signed by the President. No idea what happens there - sounds like Schumer/Bernie are going to force a vote on that this week.

The NDAA (funding the Defense Department, though the people were covered in the covid-omnibus) got vetoed and kicked back to Congress. The House voted to override the veto (needed 2/3rds majority), so now that's in the Senate for their veto override vote (needs 2/3rds majority). Mitch wanted to vote on this veto override and get the gently caress out of town, but it sounds like Schumer/Bernie won't let him. Republicans really, really don't want to take that $2K vote.

The deadlines on these two things are January 3rd, when the Congress expires. On January 4th, those actions die - the $2K would have to be reintroduced and the NDAA would have to start again brand-new.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1343714583287115777

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Abongination posted:

I got about two paragraphs in before my eyes rolled into my head I couldn't continue reading about celebrity gossip. Is there anything to that beyond someone talking with an accent sometimes and twitter trying to cancel them?

I think she also pretended to be Spanish and she’s actually from somewhere in Suburban Massachusetts (though her dad was an academic focused on Spanish and her grandfather...was an auditor for GE in Argentina...which is lols too), and dumb Alec response too.

It’s extremely dumb, but still funny for bizarreness, but I also don’t blame you for feeling like your brain might fall out reading.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think she also pretended to be Spanish and she’s actually from somewhere in Suburban Massachusetts (though her dad was an academic focused on Spanish and her grandfather...was an auditor for GE in Argentina...which is lols too), and dumb Alec response too.

It’s extremely dumb, but still funny for bizarreness, but I also don’t blame you for feeling like your brain might fall out reading.

The whole thing is hilarias.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

The whole thing is hilarias.

:thurman:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mr. Nice! posted:

When the senate votes to override tomorrow that Trump's NDAA veto doesn't matter and the bill goes into law. This means changing the names of bases etc.

facialimpediment posted:

Two separate things. The $600 --> $2000 bill is now in the Senate. It needs to clear the 60-vote filibuster hurdle, then pass on a majority vote, then get signed by the President. No idea what happens there - sounds like Schumer/Bernie are going to force a vote on that this week.

The NDAA (funding the Defense Department, though the people were covered in the covid-omnibus) got vetoed and kicked back to Congress. The House voted to override the veto (needed 2/3rds majority), so now that's in the Senate for their veto override vote (needs 2/3rds majority). Mitch wanted to vote on this veto override and get the gently caress out of town, but it sounds like Schumer/Bernie won't let him. Republicans really, really don't want to take that $2K vote.

The deadlines on these two things are January 3rd, when the Congress expires. On January 4th, those actions die - the $2K would have to be reintroduced and the NDAA would have to start again brand-new.

Okay, that makes more sense. And while I'm asking questions, section 230 was the internet bill that could have really hosed over (or will gently caress over) streamers and stuff, right?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Okay, that makes more sense. And while I'm asking questions, section 230 was the internet bill that could have really hosed over (or will gently caress over) streamers and stuff, right?

230 is the one that keeps Trump from suing Twitter over me logging on and typing 'Trump is stinky poo poo'.

The streamer one is just going right on ahead without a second look from any but the most left - but I've read things that indicate it is actually a little more intelligently structured than initial impressions and actually does mostly target crackstreams and stuff like that as opposed to someone playing Smash on Twitch. It seems still a little up in the air.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, as it stands it's basically legal codification that a) what users of a service do isn't considered publishing under the name of the owners of the service, and b) owners of a service are exempt from civil liabilities under good samaritan rules for removing user-generated content they consider obscene or harmful. Trump wanted section 230 repealed because it protects Twitter from civil liabilities for them slapping "(!) This claim about election fraud is disputed" on everything he tweets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

No. Section 230 makes twitter liable for tweets. There's two other bills, one that is designed to gently caress over big pirates, and another one which allows a rights holder to take a copyright infringer to small claims court to recover damages. I don't know what the threshold for determining a viable case is on the low end, but it's probably going to be something stupid like people who are getting DMCAed for cop sirens and poo poo.

Patware posted:

The streamer one is just going right on ahead without a second look from any but the most left - but I've read things that indicate it is actually a little more intelligently structured than initial impressions and actually does mostly target crackstreams and stuff like that as opposed to someone playing Smash on Twitch. It seems still a little up in the air.

It's actually two bills, one, the Felony Streaming Act, goes after big time streaming sites that stream pirated content illegally, like iwatchmovies or about half the poo poo on Kodi. The other one, the CASE Act, royally fucks any small person who happens to have copyrighted material in their streams, as it allows rights holders to basically destroy you financially for a mistake.

EFF.org posted:

The CASE Act purports to be a simple fix to the complicated problem of online copyright infringement. In reality, it creates an obscure, labyrinthine system that will be easy for the big players to find the way out of. The new “Copyright Claims Board” in the Copyright Office would be empowered to levy large penalties against anyone accused of copyright infringement. The only way out would be to respond to the Copyright Office—in a very specific manner, within a limited time period. Regular Internet users, those who can’t afford the $30,000 this “small claims” board can force you to pay, will be the ones most likely to get lost in the shuffle.

The CASE Act doesn’t create a small-claims court, which might a least have some hard-fought for protections for free expression built in. Instead, claims under the CASE Act would be heard by neither judges or juries, just “claims officers.” And CASE limits appeals, so you may be stuck with whatever penalty the “claims board” decides you owe.

Previous versions of the CASE Act all failed. This version is not an improvement, and Congress has not heard enough from those of us who would be most affected by CASE: regular, everyday Internet users who could end up owing thousands of dollars. Large, well-resourced players will not be affected, as they will have the resources to track notices and simply opt out.

How do we know that the effect of this bill on people who do not have those resources has not been understood? For one thing, Representative Doug Collins of Georgia said in an open hearing any claim with a $30,000 cap on damages was “truly small.” Of course, for many many people – often the same people who don’t have lawyers to help them opt-out in time – paying those damages would be ruinous.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 29, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
trump being mad about 230 kinda boggles the mind when it would make trump himself hosed over what he posts

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

trump being mad about 230 kinda boggles the mind when it would make trump himself hosed over what he posts

Nuh-uh! He's the president and the president can't get in trouble for anything as long as they're the president and since he won the election he's the president. So there.

Is what I'm assuming he thinks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Midjack posted:

assuming he thinks.

Mighty bold assertion there.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Space Force is already giving the Marines a run for their dragon-slaying money.

https://twitter.com/GraceSpelman/status/1343558585536679936

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

Go Bernie go!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Facebook is probably the most effective conservative radicalization engine on Earth and so naturally conservatives want to destroy it to own the libs. God if only they'd succeed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They have parler now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

parler's only pulling in people who have already taken the worm

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Patware posted:

parler's only pulling in people who have already taken the worm

I posit that further radicalization is possible beyond that point.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

well then the question is, is it more effective to hyper-radicalize a captive audience or to moderately radicalize an untold amount of people who were previously only kind of lovely

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Patware posted:

well then the question is, is it more effective to hyper-radicalize a captive audience or to moderately radicalize an untold amount of people who were previously only kind of lovely

Moderate radicalization is a prelude to hyper-radicalization.

Anti-vax and Soros conspiracy theories lead to QAnon worship and bombing AT&T Long Lines COs.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Lure them in with Facebook, the everyone-has-it accepted-everywhere social network. The size and ubiquity of the platform makes it easier for people to let their guard down. Once you have them hooked, follow up with some low-effort conspiracies and go on about how you're being silenced, directing people further into the cult.

No need to focus only on those in deepest if you can keep the draw going.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Antivaxx used to be kind of quaint because all that came of it was some whooping cough outbreaks at coastal preschools, but it is now on track to kill more people than big‐name terrorists.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Q works because you can let someone incorporate any conspiracy they believe in into it by saying, "just look it up."

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zamujasa posted:

Lure them in with Facebook, the everyone-has-it accepted-everywhere social network. The size and ubiquity of the platform makes it easier for people to let their guard down. Once you have them hooked, follow up with some low-effort conspiracies and go on about how you're being silenced, directing people further into the cult.

No need to focus only on those in deepest if you can keep the draw going.

Facebook is the gateway drug

It really always was projection

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1343917712519655426

:chaostrump:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What the?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they use WCW polling rules where 1 vote for Goldberg is 10 votes for Hogan?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Hotel Harrington, an iconic low-cost tourist hotel in downtown DC a few blocks from the White House, and the adjacent Harry’s Bar, a bar popular with chuds (and unpopular with their black and brown staff who had to wait on them) which served as the Proud Boy’s Secret Clubhouse will be closed for Trump’s last stand and now the chuds are PISSED.

https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/1343752428609556483

You love to see it! :sad:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nwin posted:

What the?

First past the post is a real bastard.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/mallorygharris/status/1343951754594017280?s=21

Oh man if we actually get this, it’s going to be hilarious (and great), but still super lol.

Not complaining about it mind you.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hahaha Perdue did too this morning. Oh man if we actually get this, it’s going to be hilarious (and great), but still super lol.

Not complaining about it kind you.

Don't get your hopes up. I'd say McConnell is indirectly going to kill the thing by tacking on bullshit. Should know more in a few hours.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1343952056214827010

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Hotel Harrington, an iconic low-cost tourist hotel in downtown DC a few blocks from the White House, and the adjacent Harry’s Bar, a bar popular with chuds (and unpopular with their black and brown staff who had to wait on them) which served as the Proud Boy’s Secret Clubhouse will be closed for Trump’s last stand and now the chuds are PISSED.

https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/1343752428609556483

You love to see it! :sad:

Holy poo poo they made a reddit clone and named it The Donald after /r/the_donald got banned?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Technically they did it before /r/The_Donald got banned, but yes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

RFC2324 posted:

Holy poo poo they made a reddit clone and named it The Donald after /r/the_donald got banned?

Not quite - the_donald basically exiled themselves from reddit willingly and made an offshoot before Reddit took any kind of action. When Reddit banned the_donald, they were basically killing an already-dead corpse.

It used to be that taxation is theft, but the line now is that moderation is tyranny.

For content:

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1343925695127449601

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 29, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Don't get your hopes up. I'd say McConnell is indirectly going to kill the thing by tacking on bullshit. Should know more in a few hours.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1343952056214827010

Honestly that still screws over the Georgia race. Bernie can still delay things and in the end it’s very clear that voting for the other party will get you the 2K if it doesn’t pass now. Also Trump could always say just pass the money on its own to further gently caress over Mitch.

Best approach may be to just let it go. I can’t imagine 463 billion being saved means more then keeping the Senate.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Did they just leak out the worst idea to make any other uniform look better

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
In case you're a big dumb like me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkFXxKGFFVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-N_gmK0aYg

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

It's like an unholy cross of the SS, Starship Troopers, and Mirror Universe Starfleet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

no loving way

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wtc:

They somehow managed to make it worse then if they left a weeb to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Doc Hawkins posted:

no loving way

It *may* not be real, as the end source is apparently US Space Force WTF Moments from facebook.

But we have a Space Force specifically because Donald Trump thought it sounded cool. So there's that.