Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

free Trapt CD posted:

Will be interesting to compare this Arturia one to the TAL free version. And, I guess, to the guitar pedal TC Electronic did. Guess it's free because this particular market is very saturated atm?

They just used the chorus in the Jun-V synth as part of their new V collection. You could imagine it's a nudge to buy that collection but it's nice enough on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

aunt jenkins posted:

Anybody have experience with orchestral scoring libraries? I have the free BBC one from Spitfire and it’s great, just looking for more articulations / varieties along with some techniques to not go crazy with the tracks etc.

There was some good discussion a few pages ago, kicking off from this post:

ricecult posted:

I'm sure this has come up in the thread at some point, and maybe this starts to branch into software in general, but can anyone recommend a good program for orchestral sounds? Everything seems so expensive but I imagine there's a decent one out there that's affordable.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's a bunch of Christmas sales going on right now if you want preorchestrated ensembles. With the XMAS2020 code you can get ProjectSAM's Orchestral Essentials 2 for 140 euros (there's no overlap between 1 and 2 and 1 is more of an all-rounder, but 2 has IMO more interesting patches and can still carry a full arrangement) and Spitfire's Albion ONE is 40% off at 269 euros. They're a bit different in concept, OE is a grab bag of single articulations from a variety of different sections and blends, Albion just has six ensembles, but a full list of articulations for each (they also give you control over all mics, while OE's patches alternate between the "Close" and "Stage" perspectives they're taken from. Some have baked in reverb). The extra content is sound design effects + instant gratification keyboard multis for OE and multisampled "trailer drums" (a really conservative, bassy sound tho) and synths for Albion.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

aunt jenkins posted:

Anybody have experience with orchestral scoring libraries? I have the free BBC one from Spitfire and it’s great, just looking for more articulations / varieties along with some techniques to not go crazy with the tracks etc.

Yeah I've used quite a few. I own a lot of different options but still use a lot of the NI Symphony Series stuff for general purpose full orchestra, and Embertone instruments for solo stuff since they're so expressive. The newest one that I've got my eye on is Realitone's new Sunset Strings, because it seems like a really flexible solution and sounds quite nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2blIuhs8iOE

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The free BBC one is great, the paid version has a whole lot more articulations to work with. I also got the solo strings on a recent sale and it's been pretty great.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Forgive me for asking - what do people use these libraries for? Is there a lot of classical composition? I see them thrown around a lot and I’m always curious

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Abstract post rock. Minimal techno. Basically wack poo poo.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

UncleBlazer posted:

Forgive me for asking - what do people use these libraries for? Is there a lot of classical composition? I see them thrown around a lot and I’m always curious

Capitalism, op
Most music you hear in media hasn't touched a live player

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

UncleBlazer posted:

I'm pretty sure the main use (especially of the fancier/more expensive libraries) is for soundtracks. Games, movies, animation. That said, I'm not sure what the ratio is of "successful soundtrack composer" to "aspiring soundtrack composer who dropped thousands of dollars on fancy libraries but will actually never make it".

Guy Michelmore has a pretty fun YouTube channel if you want to see some of how that works. He is a successful soundtrack composer, and makes tutorial videos where he goes deep into his own creative workflow.

But yeah, it's also fun to have some orchestral stuff to drop into weird bullshit you're writing for fun. It just may not be worth spending thousands of dollars for that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I heard a story a while ago about Hans Zimmer's approach to composition; he'll get paid enough for his work AND for him to hire and organize an orchestra to record the music. However, instead of spending an insane amount on 30-60 people, he'll get a few chamber players (fewer than ten), and mix their live recording with sampled orchestral libraries, which then saves him a ton of cash (and likely stress, too).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
ever since I started getting into producing music as a hobby I don't believe anything is a live recording anymore. Especially drums.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm pretty sure the main use (especially of the fancier/more expensive libraries) is for soundtracks. Games, movies, animation. That said, I'm not sure what the ratio is of "successful soundtrack composer" to "aspiring soundtrack composer who dropped thousands of dollars on fancy libraries but will actually never make it".

Hey just loving @ me next time.

Seriously though I do use mine mainly for soundtrack stuff, as you say. I make a little money off of it, more than enough to break even, but I sure as hell ain't making a living off of it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeah lmao I will never ever break even. at least it's fun!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you're doing music stuff professionally are you able to write off much of your gear/software?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
With the general caveat of, don't, this way lies madness, if VSTs are already an expensive hobby Orchestral Sounds are like the Fabergé eggs of VSTs.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oh right, Orchestral Tools has a €25 voucher active until Jan 3 if you bought anything from them this year. So you could probably still get the €2 Majestic Horn and then use the code to get the Full Orchestra single instrument from Inspire 1 (normally €24). It's a solid patch!

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm interested in getting into scoring video and have a background in more classical-style composition so there's plenty to review here.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Guy Michelmore has a pretty fun YouTube channel if you want to see some of how that works. He is a successful soundtrack composer, and makes tutorial videos where he goes deep into his own creative workflow.

Thanks, this channel is perfect!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

If you're doing music stuff professionally are you able to write off much of your gear/software?

I think you actually could, but I reckon there's enough paperwork involved that it might not be worth the hassle. For me in particular; I don't actually speak the language of either country I'm currently paying taxes in (Germany and Japan), so I'd probably have to find a bilingual accountant just to file the deduction.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

I think you actually could, but I reckon there's enough paperwork involved that it might not be worth the hassle. For me in particular; I don't actually speak the language of either country I'm currently paying taxes in (Germany and Japan), so I'd probably have to find a bilingual accountant just to file the deduction.

I know just the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0NY6iUqbEM

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Huh, I would've pegged his accent as "Cape Town art hipster", but he grew up in London and studied at Cambridge.

aunt jenkins posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm interested in getting into scoring video and have a background in more classical-style composition so there's plenty to review here.

Thanks, this channel is perfect!

No worries! Lol -- he's actually pretty accessible, but he clearly has a deep music theory background. His speed is also amazing to watch. In most videos, he'll put together a complete, mix-ready composition from scratch over the course of 20-60 minutes. I think he mentioned once that he used to work in animation, under insane deadlines, so learned to be quick.

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey just loving @ me next time.

Seriously though I do use mine mainly for soundtrack stuff, as you say. I make a little money off of it, more than enough to break even, but I sure as hell ain't making a living off of it.

Haha sorry about that. To be fair, though, "having paid off your thousands of dollars worth of libraries by selling actual soundtracks" feels pretty justified. It's a hell of a lot better than some blues lawyer dropping $5K on a "tonewood" guitar that they never play.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 27, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

Oh right, Orchestral Tools has a €25 voucher active until Jan 3 if you bought anything from them this year. So you could probably still get the €2 Majestic Horn and then use the code to get the Full Orchestra single instrument from Inspire 1 (normally €24). It's a solid patch!

Looks like you don't need to buy anything? You just use the OT-holidays-2020 code. https://www.reddit.com/r/AudioProductionDeals/comments/kgdlrm/orchestral_tools_christmas_voucher_25_off_through/

Edit: used it to pick up a glockenspiel. Hopefully it's easier to install than the free one from Steinberg, because lol I spent about two hours trying to get all the product activation bullshit sorted out for that before just giving up.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

drat, nice! Thought they would actually check for that since they have a proprietary shop now :saddowns: Even if you don't care for orchestral sounds there's stuff like the Kornmesser Guitar 2 in Metropolis Ark 1, which has a DI signal available and is pretty good for laying down rhythm tracks if you use an amp sim.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

aunt jenkins posted:

Do you have this one?

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

I really love this plugin. It looks like the full version is like $500 though. That seems to be how it goes with Orchestra samples though.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yes, that's the free BBC one from Spitfire I mentioned in my post :)

And it's outstanding, for sure.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Does anyone have any recommendations for free solo strings?
I have the free BBC orchestra this page has been talking about and the standard version of Komplete 13 and a solo violin/viola/cello is the only hole I have that I can't seem to find a decent freebie for- it's not something I'd use enough to make it worth the general 100ish companies want for these things, but I struggle with getting the ancient ones included in Kontakt to sound good. I'm probably SOL here I know but it's worth an ask in case I missed anything.
I use Cubase on Windows.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Inspire 1 has the €18 First Chairs you can get for free rn, it's a sketching patch with a hall sound so you're not getting individual instruments but it sounds really good even upfront imo

https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/collections/inspire-1 the little players on the instruments tab do a little demo of each patch

e: wait, you got full Kontakt! get pocketBlakus and Jasper Blunk's free solo violin, they rule

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

punishedkissinger posted:

Do you have this one?

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

I really love this plugin. It looks like the full version is like $500 though. That seems to be how it goes with Orchestra samples though.

I've been really happy with the mid-range version Core. Comparison page The full version seems excessive for anyone who isn't a full-time composer.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Ruffian Price posted:

Inspire 1 has the €18 First Chairs you can get for free rn, it's a sketching patch with a hall sound so you're not getting individual instruments but it sounds really good even upfront imo

https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/collections/inspire-1 the little players on the instruments tab do a little demo of each patch

e: wait, you got full Kontakt! get pocketBlakus and Jasper Blunk's free solo violin, they rule

Thanks, will check those out!
It's a shame that Session Strings 2 doesn't have solo patches as the intimate sound is sooo close to what I want, but then I guess how else would NI sell Stradivari etc.
One of my favourite cello sounds is from Vampyr (the game), it's so rude.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

Inspire 1 has the €18 First Chairs you can get for free rn

How? Looks like 19€ to me, is there a code?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
"oh I don't want to spend money on solo string libraries" -buys the Output Exhale and Vocalsynth 2 bundle off pluginboutique- :rolleyes:

I definitely find if I spend money on stuff I will make more use of it. I've tried both previously (I'm pretty sure vocalsynth 2 was on a song I contributed to a local compilation last year) but in an attempt to build my confidence I'm trying to do more vocally stuff and Nectar doesn't get weird enough for me.

Exhale is great too, has such a nice character and it can make some very unvocal sounds, it's more like a synth that uses voices as oscillators at times than a normal vocal library-definitely an 'instrument'.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

There’s a current Humble Bundle for a bunch of VSTs.

Not sure how good they are - anyone know?

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

I love Lounge Lizard Session and haven't needed another Rhodes since I got it for about half of the price of this full bundle. There's not a great deal of presets but there's enough to cover most people's needs. The rest of their stuff can sound a bit clinical without additional processing but LLS is a real time saver for me generally and sounds remarkably good even without considering that it uses no samples and thus extremely little drive space.

Can't vouch so much for the other stuff in the bundle (demos didn't convince me), but I will say that I get a lot of use out of Chromaphone, by the same company. But the real fun with that one is in tinkering with the settings, and while you can play presets from it in the free player, no editing is possible that way. Same with all the preset packs here. If you're a tinkerer, this bundle will only whet your appetite for the full software... Which, coincidentally, is half price at the moment.

Caveat emptor, if your computer is as old as mine the CPU can get to cranking when you run a few of these modelling plugins, but these are generally less heavy than u-he stuff, iris or pigments in my experience.

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 14, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you have Live, these AAS instruments are the basis for a few of the built in instruments (Ultra Analog = Analog, Lounge Lizard = Electric, Strum Session = Tension).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The "session" versions are AAS' somewhat-limited intro suite of plugins. They don't have all the features of the full versions but the quality is nothing to sneer at and their presets tend to be quite usable. Wouldn't hesitate to pay $20 for those if they fill a niche for you.

I have the full version of all of their stuff and I use Lounge Lizard and Chromaphone all the time. I know it's not in the bundle, but Chromaphone is pretty unique and super fun to play with. I don't think we've talked about it much in the thread, but it's p neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5G2Iz4IrbQ

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Splinter posted:

If you have Live, these AAS instruments are the basis for a few of the built in instruments (Ultra Analog = Analog, Lounge Lizard = Electric, Strum Session = Tension).

I've been looking at Lounge Lizard for a long time, I never realized I had it in Ableton all along, nifty!

MODO Bass from IK Multimedia is on sale for $99, I've been waiting for this one to go on sale for ages. Even though I play bass the sounds in this plugin are really good and I have a much easier time sketching out songs and bass lines when I can just play around in the midi roll vs. having to keep re-recording until I get something good https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/modobass/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io//

Surge 1.8.0 is out and one of its greatest weaknesses - the filters (the other weakness is its reverb) - has been resolved by including OBXD’s filters and a ladder model from Antti Huovilainen who was responsible for the great sounding but sadly no longer updated Asynth. Also, it’s got Airwindows effects now built in!

Also, the new Royal Surge skin looks great. This thing is better than the majority of stock plugins.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Wow I didn't even know they were going to do anything but keep it alive, this is good poo poo.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is Arturia V collection worth full price? Does it go on sale often? I don't really want all 28 instruments but it seems like a good way to get a lot of retro synths plus some e piano and others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001

prom candy posted:

Is Arturia V collection worth full price? Does it go on sale often? I don't really want all 28 instruments but it seems like a good way to get a lot of retro synths plus some e piano and others

I believe it goes on sale at least a couple times a year. Some of the instruments are better than others, but overall it’s a nice package.