Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Probably a bit premature, but I had a yucky thought:

The CNY sets are supposed to come out 1/10. But will they have the promo for the Ox brickhead thing that they have been doing each year? If not, it's very possible that the sets tied to the promo will sell out before the promo actually happens.

Lego have really started to suck w/ calendars. It was infinitely better when they came out a full month ahead of time. Now you get them 3-4 days at best. Sucks sucks sucks. Maybe tomorrow we'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Something unrelated to the selling. Does anyone here have good experiences with minifigure display cases? I've found the following ones:

- https://www.minifiguresdisplay.com/...ds-105-minifigs

- https://www.etsy.com/listing/631512...tion0=919170090

- https://www.etsy.com/listing/599239...dhoCYPYQAvD_BwE

- https://www.etsy.com/listing/242942561/handcrafted-hardwood-lighted-lego?ref=shop_home_active_5

Anyone have any of these and thoughts on them? Anyone got ones from elsewhere that they love? If I were to guess my fig count for display is in the 300±40 range. And fully expect that number to grow over time. I'd like to get them displayed in a nice frame with lights if possible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At least here the Rat promo wasn't tied to the specific CNY sets, and I assume it'll be the case for the Ox. Plus the Rat has been on the shelves for normal purchase for most of the year.

There are promo sets linked to the large CNY sets though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Earth posted:

Something unrelated to the selling. Does anyone here have good experiences with minifigure display cases?

I have two of these...
https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html

I like them. It was easy to cut a base plate to make into inserts to keep the minifigs standing up. And just by moving the two hanging brackets with a screwdriver you can make the door open on the other side.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Earth posted:

Something unrelated to the selling. Does anyone here have good experiences with minifigure display cases? I've found the following ones:

- https://www.minifiguresdisplay.com/...ds-105-minifigs

- https://www.etsy.com/listing/631512...tion0=919170090

- https://www.etsy.com/listing/599239...dhoCYPYQAvD_BwE

- https://www.etsy.com/listing/242942561/handcrafted-hardwood-lighted-lego?ref=shop_home_active_5

Anyone have any of these and thoughts on them? Anyone got ones from elsewhere that they love? If I were to guess my fig count for display is in the 300±40 range. And fully expect that number to grow over time. I'd like to get them displayed in a nice frame with lights if possible.

I used the cases from Michael's for a bit and ending up hating them. Without studs on the bottom of the case, any slight jolt would basically move all of them around. With the base plate that is included with the minifigures, some of them ended up being too tall for the figures to fit. So... all of my minifigures are in a box atm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a display case similar to that minifiguresdisplay site and it's good enough. No idea if it's the same brand, guess if I remember tomorrow I can pull it off the wall and see if there's a sticker on the back.

It's basically a cheap shadow box with lego bricks hotglued to the backing board. Holds minifigs just fine but there is one piece I pressed too hard on and it started to peel off. Sucks but I haven't touched the display since I hung it up either so it's hard to care too much.

You could probably DIY it for $30.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dad managed to find the haunted house at a brick and mortar Lego store for me for Christmas :woop: My sister got me the motor and hub to make the elevator remote controllable.

Back in September or late August I sent in a request for some broken parts. My confirmation email was dated 9/14, but I recall it taking quite a while to come to my inbox. The piece was not in stock at the time. Assuming there isn’t the whole global pestilence going on, do requests like that usually get fulfilled?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've been getting a big Lego set for Christmas just about every year since I was very little starting with Duplo. That's roughly 35 years of Lego. This year was the Lego Mustang. I spent about 6 and a half hours putting it together tonight and it was a blast.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dA6M8cfqxxxrH16M9

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The mustang is a great build, everyone should have it.

I love the design allowing mods too, though all I did was put the air dam on and lift the back a bit.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

The mustang is a great build, everyone should have it.

I love the design allowing mods too, though all I did was put the air dam on and lift the back a bit.

At one point I was working on part of the engine and I put together a few pieces and was like "wtf was the point of this" and then saw where it goes and realized it was the battery. The terminals on the battery are genius. The amount of detail in the engine compartment is insane. I love builds that use SNOT in awesome ways. It was was much fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The detail Lego gets in all their creator export engine bays is a major joy. With the F40 you can completely remove the engine for inspection after tugging the bumper off, which is super awesome.

And probably somewhat accurate given how maintenance on that car works.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Debating what to put together next. I have several unbuilt sets...

Mini Cooper
All the Overwatch sets
NES + TV
Modular Pet Shop

Probably going to go with the NES...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I’m finally putting together the Batwing and the random little plates with the Batman logo that you don’t even see anymore when the step is finished are a funny touch. I wonder what the significance of the pink heart shaped plates is, though?

I watched the Burton Batmans again to see how they held up (they sorta did and I’m again surprised how much more depth Returns has compared to the first one) and I’m surprised how tiny the vehicles look compared to their Lego counterparts. Yeah they’re far from minifig scaled but the Batmobile felt like it’s supposed to be 20 meters long. In the movie it’s like five to six meters max. Not that I‘m complaining, I love it.

Fun builds even though I hate how hard it is to get to the steering wheel with the Batmobile but I’m glad they made those movable instead of stiff like with the Beetle and camper. Buddy of mine who isn‘t even into Lego went straight for the wheel and gave it a twist when he first saw the Beetle built together :v:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Finally put together the diner and man does it live up to the hype. I think the jukebox is my favorite little mini-build thing inside a modular, with the train set in Assembly a very close second if only for the "what is this even supposed t- OOOHHHH" factor

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

Debating what to put together next. I have several unbuilt sets...

Mini Cooper
All the Overwatch sets
NES + TV
Modular Pet Shop

The Overwatch sets are nice and satisfying to build, I have the large scale Bastion (I bought a second one because it was marked down recently) and the Dva / Reinhardt set and the colour and parts usage are really satisfying.

But yeah, the NES should be first.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zwille posted:

I’m finally putting together the Batwing and the random little plates with the Batman logo that you don’t even see anymore when the step is finished are a funny touch. I wonder what the significance of the pink heart shaped plates is, though?

I watched the Burton Batmans again to see how they held up (they sorta did and I’m again surprised how much more depth Returns has compared to the first one) and I’m surprised how tiny the vehicles look compared to their Lego counterparts. Yeah they’re far from minifig scaled but the Batmobile felt like it’s supposed to be 20 meters long. In the movie it’s like five to six meters max. Not that I‘m complaining, I love it.

Fun builds even though I hate how hard it is to get to the steering wheel with the Batmobile but I’m glad they made those movable instead of stiff like with the Beetle and camper. Buddy of mine who isn‘t even into Lego went straight for the wheel and gave it a twist when he first saw the Beetle built together :v:

The burton batmobile is super weird because it's overall a really accurate representation of the car on the outside, but also the interior isn't really scaled well and makes it seem like the size of a small bus. Like, if you put a figure in there that actually fit in the seats it would be half the size that it should be. A lot of the SW UCS sets have the same issue. They just build whatever cool looking interior they can with the space they have but it often throws the scale all over the place.

I'll be damned if I don't love that interior anyways though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 29, 2020

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Looking at the film model now it seems it’s kind of too small and should’ve been bigger, it’s kinda ruined the film for me come to think of it because the film mode looks so tiny and toy-like now. It’s fascinating how this works.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Frozen Peach posted:

The NES has so many cool little things when you're putting it together. Using a technic floppy rod against a gear to make the channel selector click, the technic pin as a clutch so the screen only rotates in one direction, the rod and arch for the cartridge feed, the easter egg in the side, the upside down 1x1 studs for the TV speaker, just so many cool design bits

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just wish it didn't use those 6x6 tile plates, the texture on them is super low quality.

Also wish there was a better way to straighten a grid of 1x1 pieces. Pressing against a flat edge is the best I got and mostly works, but you can't do it in all cases (like the speaker grille).

I played with the cartridge lock for a solid 5 minutes, it's such a cool implementation that works flawlessly every time.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

I just wish it didn't use those 6x6 tile plates, the texture on them is super low quality.

Also wish there was a better way to straighten a grid of 1x1 pieces. Pressing against a flat edge is the best I got and mostly works, but you can't do it in all cases (like the speaker grille).

I played with the cartridge lock for a solid 5 minutes, it's such a cool implementation that works flawlessly every time.

Dammit I'm trying to save for Ninjago Gardens and you're making me want this now instead!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

Dammit I'm trying to save for Ninjago Gardens and you're making me want this now instead!

The money sink doesn't end there! I was playing around in stud.io last night trying to get ideas for a Metroid scene to replace the SMB one.

Also I want a second controller. And a way to actually plug the NES into the TV, with one of those little switch boxes you had to attach to the VHF terminals on the TV.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Better pictures of gardens. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJZadMlJ0HF/?igshid=6hd9yprlnj1o

Release Jan 14th for vip. Feb 1st wide release.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Nice, it looks so good. Hoping to move house end of Jan though so will have to wait until mid year to buy it. Hopefully it won't be perma-out of stock or anything.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Brickset has a better resolution scan/picture

Brickset said it's from a Canadian flyer - so that $399 is Canadian. Augh, I already have so many other big sets I wanna get.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Brickset has a better resolution scan/picture

Brickset said it's from a Canadian flyer - so that $399 is Canadian. Augh, I already have so many other big sets I wanna get.

Does that mean cheaper U.S. or more expensive? Looks great. Will look great next to Ninjago City.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Earth posted:

Does that mean cheaper U.S. or more expensive? Looks great. Will look great next to Ninjago City.

I'm guessing it will be 299$ in US. (399$ CAD = 311$ USD at current exchange rate)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm disappointed there's been no leaked pics yet of the next wave of Star Wars helmets.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Earth posted:

...it wouldn't kill you to know even the most basic facts about your neighbouring countries. I'm British and I still know the rough value of usd vs cad

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

January 14 for VIP :vince:

I’m glad I don’t have to wait long (to buy it)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow. Thats a nice looking set. Looks like way more of a facade than the original NC though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Seen another rumour that Assembly Square is retiring, anybody heard anything?

veni veni veni posted:

Wow. Thats a nice looking set. Looks like way more of a facade than the original NC though.

I think the camera angle is such that it's looking straight down a diagonal gap and so looks thinner than it is. But I'm not sure.

Looks good, and it'll look amazing with the other big Ninjago sets.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It has 800 more pieces than Ninjago City and looks roughly the same height, although the Gardens tower looks denser and more fleshed out, so I'd expect there to be just as much going on behind it as in the City.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Seen another rumour that Assembly Square is retiring, anybody heard anything?
This seems to suggest so
Someone's store put "last chance to buy" tags on the shelves the Assembly Square is on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The gardens are meant to have a lower section on the left which isn't really shown in that picture too.

Oxyclean posted:

This seems to suggest so
Someone's store put "last chance to buy" tags on the shelves the Assembly Square is on.

Yeah that's what I'd heard, wasn't sure if it was true or not.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I was prepared to wait until spring for NC Gardens- holy man am I excited!

Anyone thinking about the Square, get it before it’s gone. It’s the modular to get it you’re only going to get one. I don’t want to say you’ll regret it or that it’ll have instant classic status when it retires, but I can’t imagine it’ll ever be cheaper than it is right now. Or that they’ll put out a superior set in that line given that the Diner is the last really good one so far.

Corner Garage is just such a concentration of unhappy places for me. The garage reminds me of taking in my destroyed car for it to get written off and the vet reminds me of having my pets put down. I certainly wouldn’t want to live in the suite above either of those places.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

It has 800 more pieces than Ninjago City and looks roughly the same height, although the Gardens tower looks denser and more fleshed out, so I'd expect there to be just as much going on behind it as in the City.

Yeah I think that angle must just makes it look more like a big wall than it is because there are a bunch of interior pics that show the units. It's just weird because that pic makes it look so empty inside.

It's crazy they actually upped that part count and kept the same price as NC, which was already one of the best deals Lego has done as far as price per part goes. I bet it's a lot of smaller parts though.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Oh man the Gardens looks great.

Not quite seeing how it combines with NC/docks though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What pace have the modular city sets been coming out at? I just started about a month ago and got the book store and assembly square, and it looks like the Diner might still be for sale if I catch it in stock, but the parisian restaurant is long gone with high prices on ebay. I know that police station is coming soon and didn't really want it, although I might get it anyway and just change the sign to say Library or something. I'm just wondering if they usually just do one a year or should I hold off and see what's coming down the pipeline in a few months?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah the little boxouts on either side show that it's packed with detail, so those side tower bits must be pretty substantial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

davebo posted:

What pace have the modular city sets been coming out at? I just started about a month ago and got the book store and assembly square, and it looks like the Diner might still be for sale if I catch it in stock, but the parisian restaurant is long gone with high prices on ebay. I know that police station is coming soon and didn't really want it, although I might get it anyway and just change the sign to say Library or something. I'm just wondering if they usually just do one a year or should I hold off and see what's coming down the pipeline in a few months?

One per year. There are some new modular compatible buildings, like the ninjago ones, and the new Chinese New year garden. People always start rumors about them releasing more than 1 per year but as of yet there is no real evidence this is ever happening.