Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just confirms that Starmer is following Ed Milliband's path into irrelevancy through continual timid, nervous triangulation.

Looking at the media stuff Labour's putting out now, I get such a strong sense of 'going through the motions'. It feels like people who've already written off the next election and are treading water, waiting for something to come up.

I think it's the opposite, they've believed their own bullshit to the extent they think all they have to do is keep their heads down and any day now everyone's going to realise how bad the Tories are and come rushing to them.

e: Gamesnipe, K3WE7-DGZM0-Z6XPF is a game called Basingstoke, the description of which actually sounds worse than Basingstoke itself:

quote:

Basingstoke is a tense rogue-like that mixes stealth and arcade action. Explore the smouldering ruins of Basingstoke, a world of reanimated undead and ferocious alien monsters. Scavenge as you go, crafting equipment to help you in your mission: escape Basingstoke!

Note to game developers: Just mashing together the top trending game tags on Steam is *not* a game design strategy.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
We'll know Starmer's finished when his name becomes habitually prefixed with "hapless" in the media.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pistol_Pete posted:

We'll know Starmer's finished when his name becomes habitually prefixed with "labour leader" in the media.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

What's everyone doing between Christmas and New year's anyway? Probably nothing? Good, because we've got a new podcast episode for you!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1343823346123870210?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think it's the opposite, they've believed their own bullshit to the extent they think all they have to do is keep their heads down and any day now everyone's going to realise how bad the Tories are and come rushing to them.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1343558147366129665?s=20

Under Starmers leadership and some of the worst handling of the pandemic in the world by the Tories they've returned to equal polling, last achieved by.... Corbyn during the middle of sabotage from the right and anti-Brexit forces heavily blaming him for everything.

Whether they're just happy that the left isn't an organised political force any more or seriously thinking they're in with a shot the centrist bloc are peaking right now.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean Starmer and the labour right are just going to follow the path of Biden in the US. Hoping they can basically limp over the line in the face of the most incompetent government in decades by simply saying "we're not them".

They'll be emboldened by his win and stupid loving articles like the one people were arguing about last night that basically say "Better things aren't possible, please reopen Pret."

All the while fixing none of the things that led to the far right being in power in the first place.

It's obviously not quite the same and our politics do differ, but I think all they're capable of doing is looking at the macro level and broadly following it. A complete bankruptcy of political idea and talent. Also known as neoliberalism I think?

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 29, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

And that is why it is pathetic.

If you ask me what I want to go back to normal, what I have not been able to do this year, I want to be able to go to the beach during summer and spend another few days in the fleeting yet blissful embrace of nature, surrounded by other happy people doing the same, I want to be able to hug my friends again, I want to be able to be with people facing death and be able to at least hold their goddamn hand rather than sitting at the other side of the room looking sad. I do not think "oh I wish I could buy lovely sandwiches again".

A person whose reflections on the year amount to that is living the single most pathetic life I can imagine, it is revolting, repulsive, this isn't a person who isn't suffering with depression which I could sympathise with, this is a person who has simply nothing else in their life than animalistic consumption of the most miserable poo poo. And they realise that it is poo poo, and instead of thinking "perhaps I can be better" they reject that and say that no, they like being a grunting pig with their face in the slop, the true affront is the suggestion that they could or should be otherwise. Even a better form of consumption, a form that makes them happier, they explicitly reject and demand a return to the worse form because it is familiar. That we all return to it so that they can.

And this, from somebody whose literal job is to have creative thoughts and to write about them. What a waste, what an absolute travesty of supposed merit that a person who thinks this has that job. And at the same time, how completely, perfectly emblematic it is of the profession, because that is what they all write, all think, all of the time. We have an entire industry of people whose job is to do that. And yet they all constantly assure each other and the rest of us that they are having creative ideas, worthwhile ideas. It is an industry, a society, full of idiots, convinced they are brilliant.

In short, if you ask if I want to go back to normal, my answer is 'no, I want something better than then old normal' and that's the bare loving minimum I'd expect from any competent political journalist.

namesake posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1343558147366129665?s=20

Under Starmers leadership and some of the worst handling of the pandemic in the world by the Tories they've returned to equal polling, last achieved by.... Corbyn during the middle of sabotage from the right and anti-Brexit forces heavily blaming him for everything.

Whether they're just happy that the left isn't an organised political force any more or seriously thinking they're in with a shot the centrist bloc are peaking right now.
You can practically see the day of the first ANTISEMITISM headline.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

Who was that guardian columnist who wrote about how much she missed working in an office as an argument for getting everyone to go back to the office before it came out that not only did they not work in an office, they had been working from home for about ten years?

Because I'm getting similar feelings to this article.

I think Littlejohn did one from his home in Florida.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just confirms that Starmer is following Ed Milliband's path into irrelevancy through continual timid, nervous triangulation.

His end goal is to be voted "Most Reasonable Man In The Apocalypse" rather than... stopping the apocalypse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Like that study they did about how rats recovered from Heroin use much easier when they were in groups to provide support.
It does seem heavily linked to the Rat Park idea, the Orcadians had a culture that was a mix of Pictish, Scots, and Norse Christianity that adapted them well to the kinds of things you get that far north, like this time of year being "20 hours of darkness and 4 hours of the sky being a poo poo grey that is called 'daytime'" but they fell apart the same as anyone else when placed in the corporate environment. Similar with the opium users in the Fenlands, who practiced a kind of Pagan tradition vaguely centered around the English Cathedral island, without addiction, but the same patterns became harmful opium addiction when moved into the industrial cities.

What I'm not sure about is where we'd go with this kind of information, because "we've got to overthrow modernity and return to an idealized traditional past" is also the kind of thing that gets you Nazis. The one thing that the 12 Step/recovery community gets right is that humans require a type of group communal ritual activity that doesn't make much sense in order to live healthy lives, but I think they over fomalize it with "you're doing this explicitly because otherwise you'd be an alcoholic", whereas the Orcadian culture managed to do the same thing without stating it, as did Quakers, Sufi, etc. Is it even possible for us to create something like that in the internet era? It seems some of the attempts like Kek/meme magic also just get you Nazis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that perhaps a good takeaway is that people will spontaneously attempt to organize in such a way as to provide that when it is necessary, and what you should endeavour to do is stop creating structures that gently caress it up or incite it to become nazis.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Miftan posted:

What's everyone doing between Christmas and New year's anyway? Probably nothing? Good, because we've got a new podcast episode for you!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1343823346123870210?s=19

Who are the esteemed posters who make this? I like it much better than this thread, op

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/freddiesayers/status/1343856893899530240

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mebh posted:

I mean Starmer and the labour right are just going to follow the path of Biden in the US. Hoping they can basically limp over the line in the face of the most incompetent government in decades by simply saying "we're not them".

The sad thing is that even that doesn't stand a chance of working. Trump was despised by such a huge part of the US for so much of his term and the election was still closer than it had any right to be. We have people who aren't even Tories sympathizing with Boris and his crew and talking endlessly about what an impossible job he's had and how no one could have done any better. I just feel like this country is too far gone to vote for even the most bland, ineffective New New Labour offering available.

Anyway I hope enough of them rebel against the deal that Starmer has to weigh the consequences of withdrawing the whip from half of his MPs.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

jiggerypokery posted:

Who are the esteemed posters who make this? I like it much better than this thread, op

Most of them hang out in the discord and don't post much itt. It's a core group with a rotating secondary cast (like me). There's a praxiscast channel in the discord if you wanna drop by.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest that perhaps a good takeaway is that people will spontaneously attempt to organize in such a way as to provide that when it is necessary, and what you should endeavour to do is stop creating structures that gently caress it up or incite it to become nazis.
That's true, but we've got an existing structure of "liberal capitalism/technopreneur/move fast and break stuff" that actively encourages people with means to do that loving up, it's like the opposite but somehow worse case of that take from Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, where the venture capitalist looks into the horrifying future and says "no this is great, let's make a machine to accelerate it." We will organize when it is necessary, but that will involve creating alternative structure and it would be good to figure out how to best exclude Nazis from it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

technopreneur

This word makes my face hurt.

I wish we were more like the French, lacking a word for portmanteau

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Miftan posted:

Most of them hang out in the discord and don't post much itt. It's a core group with a rotating secondary cast (like me). There's a praxiscast channel in the discord if you wanna drop by.

Link to the discord?

E.nvm it's in the OP

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

In short, if you ask if I want to go back to normal, my answer is 'no, I want something better than then old normal' and that's the bare loving minimum I'd expect from any competent political journalist.

If you are morbidly obese and improve your diet and exercise, you still have to pass through stages of being obese and then overweight before you hit your ideal weight.
There is no radical transformation of the political body that will skip the intermediate steps.

Most people think that politics work the same way; by incremental progress. You have to have a country that is not on fire, then you have one with a competent government, and then you start getting to the good stuff. Hence the desire to return to 2019 or 2012 is really a prerequisite for making it to 2030 instead of 2020 part X.

If you are one of the people who don’t accept that model, i.e. a revolutionary, then it is pretty much on you to make your case. Because you are not going to get anywhere without the support of people who currently don’t believe you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As if the country being on fire has nothing to do with the government we had in 2012, or 2019.

My house is on fire, I wish I could go back to the time when next door was on fire and the arsonist was pouring petrol all over me. And also the time when I said "no thank you mister fireman I like the arsonist his petrol makes the place smell nice".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The absolute state of this. Someone get the giant blender out

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1343879161883078656?s=19

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

Is it even possible for us to create something like that in the internet era? It seems some of the attempts like Kek/meme magic also just get you Nazis.

There is, I think, a reasonable argument that clocking in each day to shitpost here has some of that ritual character

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Can't find a link to the clip besides this reddit post but its also one of the least competently made action scenes in recent memory https://www.reddit.com/r/redscarepod/comments/kkai2p/blown_away_by_how_fucking_terrible_this_is_im/

Holy gently caress those kids are ultradead

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Why were they trying to rpg two kids on a road anyway?

Like I get it, they're baddies, but why not just run them over?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

There is, I think, a reasonable argument that clocking in each day to shitpost here has some of that ritual character
2220 CE and there is a mystery religion that unironically worships a chocolate orange and nobody is quite sure why.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I doubt I was the only person suspecting this. Based on gut feeling and all but still, lmao.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

That's true, but we've got an existing structure of "liberal capitalism/technopreneur/move fast and break stuff" that actively encourages people with means to do that loving up, it's like the opposite but somehow worse case of that take from Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, where the venture capitalist looks into the horrifying future and says "no this is great, let's make a machine to accelerate it." We will organize when it is necessary, but that will involve creating alternative structure and it would be good to figure out how to best exclude Nazis from it.

Have more women involved in the running of it. Since women are less likely to be Nazi's and more likely to try and engage in compassionate based social systems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though I would suggest the caveat to that is that I don't think assigned gender stands up very well to selection processes.

See: thatcher, may, patel.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

radmonger posted:

If you are morbidly obese and improve your diet and exercise, you still have to pass through stages of being obese and then overweight before you hit your ideal weight.
There is no radical transformation of the political body that will skip the intermediate steps.

Most people think that politics work the same way; by incremental progress. You have to have a country that is not on fire, then you have one with a competent government, and then you start getting to the good stuff. Hence the desire to return to 2019 or 2012 is really a prerequisite for making it to 2030 instead of 2020 part X.

If you are one of the people who don’t accept that model, i.e. a revolutionary, then it is pretty much on you to make your case. Because you are not going to get anywhere without the support of people who currently don’t believe you.

This is an absolutely terrible analogy. Politics isn’t a sliding scale from good to bad and nor is the state of the world (or indeed is human health). The specific characteristics of our current crisis have meant that yes, we’re missing out on a lot of stuff and a lot of people are dying and losing loved ones, but it’s also shown that a lot of the key assumptions of modern society don’t hold true: everyone has to go to a physical place to work as standard, a workday has to be a fixed period of time, society cannot adapt too much or it will break. Clearly none of these things are true. A ton of my non-political mates have actually said the pandemic has been great for them - they’ve got to work from home, or spend some time on furlough or only working half the hours and it’s dramatically improved their lives.

Wanting to get back to how it was isn’t getting back along some imaginary scale from bad to good, it’s doing away with these discoveries and revelations, ideas which could form the basis of a new normal. The idea that there is any societal normal and it isn’t constantly shifting anyway is daft, it’s just that COVID has led to it shifting rapidly.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why were they trying to rpg two kids on a road anyway?

Like I get it, they're baddies, but why not just run them over?

They're going to 'accidentally' run over the kids because they're too focussed on evil, the heroes fire the cruise missile so Wonder Woman can catch a tow.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jakabite posted:

This is an absolutely terrible analogy. Politics isn’t a sliding scale from good to bad and nor is the state of the world (or indeed is human health). The specific characteristics of our current crisis have meant that yes, we’re missing out on a lot of stuff and a lot of people are dying and losing loved ones, but it’s also shown that a lot of the key assumptions of modern society don’t hold true: everyone has to go to a physical place to work as standard, a workday has to be a fixed period of time, society cannot adapt too much or it will break. Clearly none of these things are true. A ton of my non-political mates have actually said the pandemic has been great for them - they’ve got to work from home, or spend some time on furlough or only working half the hours and it’s dramatically improved their lives.

Wanting to get back to how it was isn’t getting back along some imaginary scale from bad to good, it’s doing away with these discoveries and revelations, ideas which could form the basis of a new normal. The idea that there is any societal normal and it isn’t constantly shifting anyway is daft, it’s just that COVID has led to it shifting rapidly.

Can I go physics for a moment?

I think it's meaningless to talk about the "state" of 2012 in isolation, as something to go back to. The state is inseparable from the momentum/direction of travel. If we put things back the way they were in 2012, we'll just do the same things all over again. Nothing that benefited anyone back then was not part of the Farage-promoting, Brexit-giving, Corbyn-destroying momentum (lol) that put us here, now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Though I would suggest the caveat to that is that I don't think assigned gender stands up very well to selection processes.

See: thatcher, may, patel.

But that skews the figures in the sense that the women who join and advance in a monstrous, reactionary political party that hates women are likely to be the worst of the worst to rise to the top.
Like I am sure that if the Nazi leadership allowed women, those women would be some of the worst Nazi's.

If however you opened up representation and had a mandatory 35-50% of politicians be women, you don't quite run into the problem that when it's time for putting women into positions of power your only options within the party are inhuman Hell-beast 1, 2 or 3.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

But that skews the figures in the sense that the women who join and advance in a monstrous, reactionary political party that hates women are likely to be the worst of the worst to rise to the top.
Like I am sure that if the Nazi leadership allowed women, those women would be some of the worst Nazi's.

If however you opened up representation and had a mandatory 35-50% of politicians be women, you don't quite run into the problem that when it's time for putting women into positions of power your only options within the party are inhuman Hell-beast 1, 2 or 3.

It skews the figures in that our political system selects for inhuman hell beasts because their job is to administrate inhuman hell society, it conditions inhuman hell behaviour out of all its participants.

Labour has good MPs in it and some of them are women, but they are far away from the leadership of the party because the party leadership does not select for good MPs.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 29, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sometimez heroes have to shoot cruise missiles at kids to save them

*whole cast looks meaningfully at the camera*

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Can I go physics for a moment?

I think it's meaningless to talk about the "state" of 2012 in isolation, as something to go back to. The state is inseparable from the momentum/direction of travel. If we put things back the way they were in 2012, we'll just do the same things all over again. Nothing that benefited anyone back then was not part of the Farage-promoting, Brexit-giving, Corbyn-destroying momentum (lol) that put us here, now.

Yeah this makes sense to me. I think the reason so many centrist lib types miss this is because to them politics was something that happened in the background and that was how they liked it - they didn’t have to take any notice of where things were heading because politics was something that happened to other people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

If we're doing this analogy, you still set your end goal at your ideal weight, nobody says "I wish I was one of the steps that I have to pass through", or if they do they end up doing nothing. Same as nobody genuinely looking to fix their alcoholism says "I wish I was merely drinking double the recommended amount each week".

If you're facing a bad situation by saying "I miss when things were merely a bit poo poo" you're setting yourself on the road to failure, dreaming of 2012 when things were okayish for them personally got 2019, dreaming of 2019 gets gently caress all. You need a big dream to get somewhere, even if you never end up where the big dream is and have to keep working at it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

I doubt I was the only person suspecting this. Based on gut feeling and all but still, lmao.

No I talked about it a week ago from a biology perspective, and multiple posters thought the same just based off a knowledge of Johnson gonna Johnson. pretty lmao to see it confirmed tho

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

You just incited me to want a takeaway, you rotten bastard. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You know looking at people responding to this, there's a certain subset who look at it and cannot see anything but 'hard evidence' of labour failing to support a second referendum causing the loss in 2019. Obviously its bollocks and the domain of FBPE but it feels like it speaks to a wider issue like people comparing US and UK politics.

These people cannot conceive of a world where "one weird trick" doesn't exist, or even a simple solution that could be applied to their political party of choice to solve everything.

It's anathema to them that 2019 was a possible no win scenario and the default they've returned to is 'we just have to be the sensible adults in the room'

Facing the alternative that involves hard work and a long slog thorough local politics while pushing hard for essentially revolution in the face of overwhelming criticism is just something they're not willing to accept or deal with.