Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Teek posted:

Yeah, it’s a shame that the [subject matter] fan channels with the most views seem to be garbage tier content or people.

Youtube in a nutshell :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Why on earth would you ever watch a youtube *channel*? It's like a totally alien form of entertainment for me.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The same reason you'd watch any regular show, you enjoy the content and the people producing it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VinylonUnderground posted:

Why on earth would you ever watch a youtube *channel*? It's like a totally alien form of entertainment for me.

Channels are good for movie and BTS/history stuff if you find a good host. DefunctLand does excellent theme park and Disney project history stuff, GoodBadFlicks and Oliver Harper do great movie retrospectives and “how did this get made” type things, Star Wars Explained is good for recaps on characters or events you don’t remember. YT is a wasteland full of PewDiePie and Star Wars Theory types, but there’s a lot of good stuff out there as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For everyone under the age of 45, YouTube has functionally replaced network television for all intents and purposes.

Cable TV is going to die with boomers, or at least settle into Millenials who watch sports

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Drawfee owns and if you don't watch it you hate fun.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah there are some great art and cooking channels on YT.

For example, I rather enjoy this grandpa who teaches watercolor in a very calm and pleasant manner. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udjLiiVGK9M

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I feel like the people who are suggesting YouTube channels are the same people who read the EU books. Which tells me something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I feel like the people who are suggesting YouTube channels are the same people who read the EU books. Which tells me something.

Its not the children who are wrong, skinner.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

It tells the rest of us something, certainly.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Youtube taught me how to field strip a chauchat. Other than a dysentery filled trench in France in 1917, where else are you going to learn those skills?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Channels are good for movie and BTS/history stuff if you find a good host. DefunctLand does excellent theme park and Disney project history stuff, GoodBadFlicks and Oliver Harper do great movie retrospectives and “how did this get made” type things, Star Wars Explained is good for recaps on characters or events you don’t remember. YT is a wasteland full of PewDiePie and Star Wars Theory types, but there’s a lot of good stuff out there as well.

Yeah, I do enjoy a few youtubers. Defunctland, Renegade Cut, Hbomberguy, even the Red Letter Media guys. This is usually people who won't be throwing daily content just to keep viewers, so their content tends to have some great production values.

I also found this Venezuelan guy who has been around for a while who just makes videos about paranormal stuff, ghosts, internet weird facts, etc. It's like 99% of the cases are fake, but the guy throws a good spooky show.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
There's a youtube channel where a guy pours molten aluminum into ant nests and makes sculptures from the tunnel networks and I'm glad something so dumb and niche exists on youtube.

Also I watch people play video games and not have to listen to them react to twitch chat

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Star Wars Explained and Hello Greedo are some nicely informative, even-handed voices in the fandom. LGR is pleasant 90s-00s tech nostalgia. Defunctland is great, as is the Themed Alternative channel he runs with a few other theme park people; they do MST3K-style riffs on old Disney specials.

Hbomberguy, Jenny Nicholson, Lindsey Ellis, and FilmJoy are all excellent and funny critics that cover a wide range of subjects.

I definitely used to be on the "pfft, YouTube" train but eventually, I just happened upon more and more channels that fit my interests and were run by seemingly-decent folks. :shrug:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also the Norwegian cabin view train videos are great for background when doing other things

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am not trying to stir the pot but I’m on Twitter a lot and I have never once seen Jenny Nicholson say a nice thing about Star Wars. I seriously thought she was like a a polygon sci-fi critic or something. Which parts of Star Wars does she like?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
With Rogue One and Rebels the locus of identity that was Kyle Katarn is gone.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bust Rodd posted:

I am not trying to stir the pot but I’m on Twitter a lot and I have never once seen Jenny Nicholson say a nice thing about Star Wars. I seriously thought she was like a a polygon sci-fi critic or something. Which parts of Star Wars does she like?

She’s good, OP. She just doesn’t like the new movies, which should be a mark in the plus column when accounting for taste

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who’s the vlogger who was making jokes about Zack Snyder’s mom after his daughter committed suicide?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bust Rodd posted:

TFA and TLJ, of the recent stuff. And the theme park stuff because she's a huge theme park nerd.

Also porgs, obviously.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 29, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

She loves porgs.

ruddiger posted:

Who’s the vlogger who was making jokes about Zack Snyder’s mom after his daughter committed suicide?

Lindsay Ellis

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

piL posted:

An idea that someone came up with earlier in the thread is that its for environmental hazards. It helps with fall protection (there's no railing). I posited that there might be all kinds of other hazards like gas attacks, posionous atmospheres or radiation leaks, or an unpredicted solar flare on a certain planet that might mean you're toast, but the armor protects against. Also cooling and heating. They have them stay in the stuff all the time so they can always fight in it, whether they're dropping on a planet thats close to the right kind of star or a ship has a hole blown through the reactor shielding.

When you have tens of thousands of planets, not having knowledgeable planetary geologists or space meteorologists for a specific system could be really dangerous. One unpredicted planetary hazard and you turn overwhelming odds into a complete route, so the mobile arm of the Imperial army trains to fight in hazard suits. The army in Solo represents a more traditonal long sustained fighting type of soldier, who uses simpler equipment and less armor because the maintenance commitment is lower, supply logistics are easier without worrying about armor maintenance and the planetary conditions more predictable.

If you go back to, like, 1975, the white armor was literally a spacesuit for boarding actions. And they had lightsabers, in case they were in conditions that prevented a blaster from working (whatever that would be).

Fast forward 40 years and their helmets are basically elaborate dust masks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Came to post porgs, but was beaten.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sash! posted:

If you go back to, like, 1975, the white armor was literally a spacesuit for boarding actions. And they had lightsabers, in case they were in conditions that prevented a blaster from working (whatever that would be).

Fast forward 40 years and their helmets are basically elaborate dust masks.

Back in the old EU it was to protect against shrapnel and was good against slugthrowers and mitigated blaster damage...a blaster bolt that killed an unarmored rebel soldier might only critically wound an armored stormtrooper. They'd both be out of the fight but the latter might see service again after bacta time.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

who

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also the Norwegian cabin view train videos are great for background when doing other things

I feel like "so I can watch trains more efficiently" is as honest an answer as I'm likely to get. I appreciate your candor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A funny youtuber who does videos about pop culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yw6z9G7p1g

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I feel like "so I can watch trains more efficiently" is as honest an answer as I'm likely to get. I appreciate your candor.

Like if I'm drawing or something it's nice to have some sound and occasional scenery that I can look at that is interesting.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

In this time of social distancing I've found myself drawn to show reactor channels. It's obviously not the same as getting to watch with your friends but it's something. Some of them are pretty cringe to watch but it's easy enough to weed them out. It's also fun to see a new generation of movie viewers watch things like Star Wars for the first time.

This from someone who a year ago absolutely could not fathom watching someone else watch a show or play a videogame. :shrug:

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Like if I'm drawing or something it's nice to have some sound and occasional scenery that I can look at that is interesting.

It's OK. Somethingawful, especially a Star Wars thread on Somethingawful is a safe space for train chat. No shame.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Binging With Babish is amazing and high quality stuff that rivals any network show. And then if you want to watch a lunatic cook, I recommend Matthy Matheson.

It's like any media. There is brilliant, mediocre and loving awful. Just a lot of awful sometimes since there is no bar to entry. I do appreciate however I get to see and enjoy content from people that would never ever have a voice like this otherwise. It's been a great equaliser.

I tend to find shitlords use whatever is available to amplify their shittiness. I do not doubt at all that people bemoaned the printing press that meant their idiot neighbour was able to create crude leaflets about the dangers of women milking the goats or something...

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Lol look at this man who never heard of stevemre

Nerd

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol look at this man who never heard of stevemreinfo1989

Nice!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gah, mein petard!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Its Rinaldo posted:

There's a youtube channel where a guy pours molten aluminum into ant nests and makes sculptures from the tunnel networks and I'm glad something so dumb and niche exists on youtube.

Also I watch people play video games and not have to listen to them react to twitch chat

This site and You-Tube gave me my new favorite song which I'd never have found on my own.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dingleberry2 posted:

In this time of social distancing I've found myself drawn to show reactor channels. It's obviously not the same as getting to watch with your friends but it's something. Some of them are pretty cringe to watch but it's easy enough to weed them out. It's also fun to see a new generation of movie viewers watch things like Star Wars for the first time.

This from someone who a year ago absolutely could not fathom watching someone else watch a show or play a videogame. :shrug:

I stumbled with Cinema Rules. The guys are quite funny (it's a less cynic humor, but it's nice) and their Star Wars Holiday Special reaction were hilarious.

In a less star wars themed Well There's Your Problem it's also a good background soothing sound, helps me focus some times, even if I dunno what the hell they are talking about when they go too technical.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

sticklefifer posted:

Drawfee owns and if you don't watch it you hate fun.

Agreed. Plus for lot of channels you support independent artists and not a big conglomerate.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Thirding Drawfee

"No toys, you play in woods."
"Why are my parents Russian?"
"All strict parents are from eastern Europe without exception."

Julia is a gift that keeps on giving and some of her creations would make for amazing Star Wars aliens

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Youtubers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hazo posted:

God dammit I slammed the Order button so hard now China has my credit card info

You should have bought sequel trilogy merch instead. There's a discount for the first order.