Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

hold on, what's my Speak 'n Say say, give me a sec *winds up*

"That's miso" wait gently caress, hang on, wrong one

"Do better"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

mike duncan says george washington was the pullout king

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/g34184521/best-educational-podcasts/?slide=4

hey they made a podcast about my posting

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

:nsavince:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

im always sus about queer history podcasts, they always whitewash, excise class, and assume modern identities apply to historical figures to some extent. podcasting is inherently in the Cis Gaze

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

seeking derangements needs more free episodes

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

latest Chapo has Felix doing a sexism

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I smiled at "abolish homework" being one of the nonsense demands in that episode because that's an actual leftist demand* in Norway.

(As in part of the farthermost left party in parliament's program)

Grevling has issued a correction as of 15:09 on Dec 29, 2020

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

T-man posted:

the character you meet in that quest has a red grenade for a nose. see, because he is a COOL CYBERPUNK CLOWN it's a fun distraction but my god does the writing/worldbuilding/story suck rear end

Too circle around the theme of the thread: He’s based on a character created by a Brazilian podcaster.

Seriously

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

a fatguy baldspot posted:

latest Chapo has Felix doing a sexism

how is it sexist to point out that women were complicit in the biggest antisemitism in history (the Holocaust)??

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Protagorean posted:

how is it sexist to point out that women were complicit in the biggest antisemitism in history (the Holocaust)??

actually, they weren’t complicit enough. the Nazis failed to elevate women to leadership roles in the holocaust.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe women should have leaned in a lil harder?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ever notice how it was all cisgender people doing the holocaust? makes you think. DCS 4 life

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Ilsa she wolf of the ss, but wokely

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

ever notice how it was all cisgender people doing the holocaust? makes you think. DCS 4 life

*kramer slide through the door* hitler was trans. owned!!!!!!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

have you ever noticed that it's only grandfathers falling out of watchtowers

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Taintrunner posted:

*kramer slide through the door* hitler was trans. owned!!!!!!

brown-red alliance confirmed

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Grevling posted:

I smiled at "abolish homework" being one of the nonsense demands in that episode because that's an actual leftist demand* in Norway.

(As in part of the farthermost left party in parliament's program)

It makes sense as a response to hellworld; a lot of children, poor ones that is, will likely have to work after school (many already do) to help support their families.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Victory Position posted:

have you ever noticed that it's only grandfathers falling out of watchtowers

lol

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

thotsky posted:

It makes sense as a response to hellworld; a lot of children, poor ones that is, will likely have to work after school (many already do) to help support their families.

When I was a HS teacher (America) there was a general push to largely abolish homework (except maybe for AP classes and things like art, woodworking*, music, etc. where the “homework” is more like practicing your skill). The evidence shows it doesn’t really help most students learn, most students don’t do it, even more don’t want to do it, and most teachers don’t have the time or will to grade it.

*One of the schools I was at still hand an honest-to-god shop class. It was enormously popular but enormously expensive (to an administrator when compared to something like an English class where the costs are new textbooks every ten+ years). It only survived because some rich person set up a trust to fund it. School funding in America is so hosed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i spent my freshman year at a fairly well-funded high school and took shop. it owned, but even then we just stuck to using donated scraps. one table saw, one bandsaw, one belt sander, a few palm sanders. not much else

the teacher would tell us about all his horrific injuries including the time he ripped open his nutsack along the seam

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The USSR abolished homework in October 1918 https://books.google.com/books?id=a...omework&f=false

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

can't argue with results

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
There is probably some very limited use in homework as more in a "hey wink wink this is poo poo you should understand by now or else ur gunna bomb and fall behind. just a friendly reminder to stay ontop of reading and practice this stuff at home at your own leisure!". Homework is probably the wrong way to say it, really more of a guiding outline of what/when you should know things than actual busywork. Some courses basically use it that way and assign some gently caress-off small percentage of grade to homework, like ~5% and I know I found it helpful to keep me from loving off too much and knowing that if I could do most of it I'd pretty much know I wouldn't have to worry about whats on exams or what not.

but yeah it should be more like relatively short once-a-week take-home/in-class quiz stuff or homework like write a concise 1 pg essay about themes of grape of wraths, instead of 100 problems of doing non-stop long division or doing integrals out of a textbook or minimum 5000-word count prompts. that poo poo sucks rear end and nobody at all likes being involved in any part of that.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

homework wouldnt really need to be a thing if you had small class sizes and weren’t teaching rote crap in underfunded schools. focusing on homework is kind of missing the point

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1UBoJ49Wq0

Joey Santore go on Chapo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he really would be a great guest

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just finished the ww84 cth pod. what a fuckin amazing episode and terrible film

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Jonny 290 posted:

just finished the ww84 cth pod. what a fuckin amazing episode and terrible film

"The type of movie for Brads and braydens to hi five each other"over got me good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
very late but I finally caught up to Trueanon's episode on the Great Reset and the thing that really crack-pinged me was how they're going to paint anyone that looks askance at 5G technology as being a crank-weirdo in sort of the same way that QAnon was hatched right as Epstein's case was heating up so that you can't talk about a pedo cabal without being dismissed as one of those people.

Now, we already had some of that going on what with people burning down cell towers because they thought 5G causes coronavirus, but then that Nashville bombing suspect has ALSO been portrayed by the media as being fueled by "5G paranoia".

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

very late but I finally caught up to Trueanon's episode on the Great Reset and the thing that really crack-pinged me was how they're going to paint anyone that looks askance at 5G technology as being a crank-weirdo in sort of the same way that QAnon was hatched right as Epstein's case was heating up so that you can't talk about a pedo cabal without being dismissed as one of those people.

Now, we already had some of that going on what with people burning down cell towers because they thought 5G causes coronavirus, but then that Nashville bombing suspect has ALSO been portrayed by the media as being fueled by "5G paranoia".
That episode ironically kinda bought the marketing lies about 5G that the cell companies want to push on you, that it's gonna magically enable the internet of things or whatever. It's not gonna do any of that poo poo, signal penetration is gonna be worse and it's just a waste of spectrum and will potentially gently caress with weather forecasting.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

5G ate my balls

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if..i were to shove 5G...up my own rear end?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

That episode ironically kinda bought the marketing lies about 5G that the cell companies want to push on you, that it's gonna magically enable the internet of things or whatever. It's not gonna do any of that poo poo, signal penetration is gonna be worse and it's just a waste of spectrum and will potentially gently caress with weather forecasting.
what if we just turn all phones and smartfridges into portable 5g repeaters and that solves penetration

but yeah idk. considering we still have lol data caps and poo poo, i'm not really sure what the point is other than a marketing gimmick but i guess one that theoretically does have better outdoor speeds for real-time drone control for delivering amazon packages remotely or w/e. i dont buy into that "the great reset" needs 5g to work.

it seems like a silly thing to oppose as 5g causes cancer or 5g causes viruses (car bumper sticks, sidewalk stencils, giant posters affixed to poles that i've seen here myself), but it does seem like a waste of spectrum and not something your average phone-goer is going to notice or care. not really sure what the point is honestly, i'm literally a ken bone here

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the more "rational" criticism of 5G is that it lets telco's off the hook on trying to build out new wired infrastructure by claiming that 5G can offer similar speeds... except it doesn't because you can really only get good bandwidth with 5G over very short distances

and in the meantime it does bring all of the disadvantages that Shipon mentioned

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont care about 5g and neither does anyone else because all the cranks just forgot about it in about may and started getting really mad at masks instead

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the nashville guy is different because hes a pr0spector88 character

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

THS posted:

homework wouldnt really need to be a thing if you had small class sizes and weren’t teaching rote crap in underfunded schools. focusing on homework is kind of missing the point

I don't assign homework because I don't want to grade it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

the problem is that 5G refers to a specification for a variety of related wireless technologies. the IoT stuff is part of LTE and was carried forward into the 5G standards. in fact, basically ALL of LTE is included in “5G”. 5G FR2 is the stuff up in the 25GHz+ range and is LoS only as you say. it lets you claim ridiculous speeds, but is only really good for fixed wireless. The “bread and butter” is still FR1 which is basically LTE with more modulations allowed and better implementations of stuff like carrier aggregation. That’s all boring though and doesn’t sell phones

the weather forecasting stuff shouldn’t actually be an issue because nobody has purchased the band that’s right at the edge there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
also it stops the oxygen getting to ur lungs