Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku is a kid is low self-esteem finally getting to live his dream while serial killers keep coming after him and his new friends. He's got a lot to be emotional about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Oh, I'm not saying his crying's not justified. I'm saying that it can become exhausting as a viewer (at least for me) if the protagonist is constantly in an extreme emotional state. Some episodes were better for Deku on that front than others in the first season.

That said...

Rhonne posted:

You will also see more crying from other characters as well.

I'm definitely onboard with this. A lot of the classmates felt pretty one-note so far, so I'm looking forward to learning more about them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
In a lot of these shows it’s good to keep in mind the writer is often trying desperately not to get cancelled so the early stuff can really be throwing concepts at a wall to see what sticks.

So you have the author throwing around 20 different characters with different character traits and concepts, some of them are a bit more popular than others and end up getting more time and focus but with more time they’re able to work more on fleshing most of them out a but more.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MHA is one of those shows where if you're familiar with naruto and other shounen you won't be seeing anything new, but you will be seeing stuff you already know rearranged a bit and consistently executed well.

i don't remember the s1 fights super well but i think in s2 onward the fights get a lot better

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

surf rock posted:

I'm definitely onboard with this. A lot of the classmates felt pretty one-note so far, so I'm looking forward to learning more about them.

Not every character has had their time in the sun in even the manga at this point, much less the anime. But for the most part, nearly every character has had something cool to do, just some more than others. Based on your favorite character list, you should really enjoy season 2, where Iida gets a fair amount of spotlight and Tsuyu gets an entire episode to herself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jassa posted:

The crying in MHA never felt out of place to me, and I marathoned it twice this year. Nothing wrong with a shonen protagonist who feels emotions beyond a ~burning passion to protect others~ :)
Sometimes he also feels a burning passion to break his bones at people.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

surf rock posted:

Oh, I'm not saying his crying's not justified. I'm saying that it can become exhausting as a viewer (at least for me) if the protagonist is constantly in an extreme emotional state. Some episodes were better for Deku on that front than others in the first season.

That said...

Poor Sato

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

CuwiKhons posted:

Tsuyu gets an entire episode to herself.

Extremely promising

I hope it shows her family and they're also frogs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

surf rock posted:

Extremely promising

They are (literally in her dad’s case). However, they don’t actually appear in the series itself but rather a separate special (I forget the name of it though).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

surf rock posted:

Extremely promising

They show up in one of the OVAs they are also frogs

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Oh, I didn't know there were OVAs! I don't think my streaming service has them... either that or I overlooked them. I'll have to track them down.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jassa posted:

Oh, I didn't know there were OVAs! I don't think my streaming service has them... either that or I overlooked them. I'll have to track them down.

If you watch dubbed, a lot of OVAs don't get dubbed because I think a different studio makes them than the actual anime producers.

It's very annoying for exclusive dub watchers like me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The OVAs are from DVDs that come free with a magazine right?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, unfortunately it was making a solemn declaration that she was a cop

Theyre all cops. The entire premise of the show is kids with powers becoming an agent of the state responsible for maintaining law and order.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

We regret to inform you that the FROG is COP.

What is interesting to see in the discussion around this is that nobody seems to have had the "Superman objection" to All Might, of "well of course he would be evil or something." Indeed I wonder if All For One would have pushed that out through Japanese Fox News to gently caress with the guy back when they were both, you know, not human wreckage.

I wonder why this is. Some of it is probably just the genre but I suppose it also helps that All Might never got portrayed as having godlike power, he was just insanely strong and tough, like Hercules or something. He could not destroy the planet or push it into another orbit or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All Might literally just punches real hard and has a big heart.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
All Might also deliberately crafted his supremely heroic persona.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nessus posted:

We regret to inform you that the FROG is COP.

What is interesting to see in the discussion around this is that nobody seems to have had the "Superman objection" to All Might, of "well of course he would be evil or something." Indeed I wonder if All For One would have pushed that out through Japanese Fox News to gently caress with the guy back when they were both, you know, not human wreckage.

I wonder why this is. Some of it is probably just the genre but I suppose it also helps that All Might never got portrayed as having godlike power, he was just insanely strong and tough, like Hercules or something. He could not destroy the planet or push it into another orbit or something.

All Might kind of has a different Superman problem going on in that society took his existence and the security he provided for granted and was totally unprepared when that went away

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

christmas boots posted:

All Might kind of has a different Superman problem going on in that society took his existence and the security he provided for granted and was totally unprepared when that went away

And also him trying to be Superman has destroyed his body.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rhonne posted:

And also him trying to be Superman has destroyed his body.

Well that's a different thing. Like, he is clearly overworking himself but his body can handle that. His body got wrecked by fighting somebody nobody else in existence could even threaten.

It's the psychological or emotional damage that I'm more interested in but which the show doesn't talk much about. Like, does All Might have any sort of personal life? Friends or loved ones? Even before his body got wrecked, what was his non-Hero life like?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Well that's a different thing. Like, he is clearly overworking himself but his body can handle that. His body got wrecked by fighting somebody nobody else in existence could even threaten.

It's the psychological or emotional damage that I'm more interested in but which the show doesn't talk much about. Like, does All Might have any sort of personal life? Friends or loved ones? Even before his body got wrecked, what was his non-Hero life like?
Well, part of what was revealed with season 4 is that All Might basically pushed everyone who cared about him away as they stopped accepting his self destructive tendencies.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Vigilantes answers that somewhat.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

christmas boots posted:

Which is actually one of the things Lex Luthor most frequently complains about in regards to Superman - that humanity is becoming too reliant on him and needs to solve their own problems. So I guess in the MHA universe, Lex has finally been vindicated.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean taking on this sort of thing is kind of a central part of the "become humanity's primary pillar of strength" job description so I don't know that you can really decouple All Might overworking himself from his fight with AfO.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The trouble with All Might was that he was also a built in "Crime Doesn't Pay" PSA. Endeavor did more cases than him, and there's absolutely no shortage of heroes in Japan.

The fact that the problem with hero society is that maybe they should fund PBS and after school programs a little more is boring, and I can look outside my window if I want to see that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

They also frame all their discussions in terms of 'society' as a whole, and assume that the way society functions, by and large, is worth defending and protecting without yet having any real criticisms of how and why it produces villains. I feel like this is at least partially a cultural difference, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

S.J. posted:

They also frame all their discussions in terms of 'society' as a whole, and assume that the way society functions, by and large, is worth defending and protecting without yet having any real criticisms of how and why it produces villains. I feel like this is at least partially a cultural difference, but it still rubs me the wrong way.
e:removed some mangachat, whoops

Nessus fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 28, 2020

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The villains motivations all suck. Stains motivation especially

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Just reminding y'all this is the anime thread...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jassa posted:

Also we have a new watcher posting in this thread.

As for villain motivations, I enjoy both Stain's and Overhaul's. Then again, they are easily my favorite MHA villains.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

jassa posted:

My bad! :ohdear:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Stain is the one character who's motivation I think is legit

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Please, God, don't let this be another "Stain is ridiculous and makes no sense" vs. "Stain was right" argument

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In conclusion, Stain is a land of contrasts.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Stain doesn't have a nose

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Stain's argument is that perhaps freelance cops that are allowed to advertise for corporations and take payments from them should not be glorified as superstar paragons of morality and justice. Its just dressed into whole lot of crazy, because otherwise it would be a right on the nose and Stain doesn't have one. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 29, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Stain is a teenage mutant ninja turtle.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Starting up season two and a few episodes in. I'm liking the sports festival concept so far! Good thing to base a season around, although it's moving so quickly that I can't imagine it lasts the whole time.

So far, my favorite moment of the show is Deku winning the obstacle course without using his quirk, particularly the last bit of using the mine explosions to propel himself forward with the metal plate as a shield. It reminded me of my favorite Naruto moment from the parts that I watched, which was Naruto and Sasuke using that shadow shuriken move to break Kakashi out of the water prison. Basically, I love it when protagonists come up with clever solutions to problems and it's not "I just have to try harder!"

Also, the Hulu "next episode" button doesn't work super well because I accidentally skipped episode 17. I remembered people saying that the pace was nonstop in season two so I was like, "wow, they aren't kidding, we didn't even get to see these teams get made!" I figured that this cavalry battle thing must be a common game in Japan or something and they assumed audiences would already be familiar with it. I only realized my mistake when I went to look up a character's name and saw they were introduced in the missed episode, ha.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's an excellent moment.

Also, once you're done with Season 2, we can show you the greatest MHA video ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, updating my Class 1-A power-rankings now that I've finished season two. I've also incorporated any other students I remember. Didn't bother including comments for everyone this time.

1.) Tsuyu Asui (Froppy) - Sue's right, that seal captain was adorable. Glad she got most of an episode to herself.
2.) Ochaco Uraraka (Uravity) - I hope she gets a big moment where she's also successful, because she's pretty great.
3.) Izuku Midoriya (Deku) - What a glow-up for the lead protagonist! Up 10 spots because he showed way more range this season and became very likable.
4.) Tenya Ida (Engenium) - Ida also got to show a lot more range this season. Still great!
5.) Shoto Todoroki (Shoto)
6.) Momo Yaoyorozu (Creati) - I was worried her entire run on the show would just be "isn't it funny that this serious, scholarly teenager also has huge tits???" but she finally got a little time to shine near the end, which was nice.
7.) Hitoshi Shinso (?) - I like the idea of someone with a seemingly villainous quirk just really sincerely wanting to be a hero.
7.) Fumikage Tokoyami (Tsukuyomi)
8.) Itsuka Kendo (Battle Fist) - Reminds me of Athena Cykes from the Ace Attorney games; love that.
9.) Mei Hatsume (?) - Slightly obnoxious, but turning the tournament into an infomercial was terrific.
10-11.) Eijiro Kirishima (Red Riot) and Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu (Real Steel)
12.) Mina Ashido (Alien Queen Pinky)
13.) Kyoka Jiro (Earphone Jack)
14.) Neito Monoma (?)
15.) Toru Hagakure (Invisible Girl)
16.) Mashirao Ojiro (Tailman)
17.) Denki Kaminari (Chargebolt)
18.) Ibara Shiozaki (?)
19.) Koji Koda (Anima)
20.) Rikido Sato (Sugarman) - Seriously, who the gently caress is this? Has he ever been onscreen?
21.) Mezo Shoji (Tentacole)
22.) Yuga Aoyama (Can't Stop Twinkling) - The hero name thing was funny, at least.
23.) Hanta Sero (Cellophane)
24.) Minoru Mineta (Grape Juice) - Congratulations to the horny baby for moving up one spot. Not because he was any better, but because someone else was worse.
25.) Katsuki Bakugo (Lord Explosion Murder) - Just obnoxious. Not even needed as a rival since Todoroki exists. I enjoy the show less every time he's on the screen, especially because Deku becomes a worse character every time he's around as well.

Adding some for the teachers as well:

1.) All Might - I kind of hated this character in the first few episodes, but it's grown on me a ton. I also recently that it was Piccolo's voice actor doing him and that made it much more enjoyable.
2.) Nezu - I've never collected plush toys but I'm tempted to get one of him.
3.) Midnight - As someone who often struggles with falling asleep, I would trade a bar of solid gold to know someone with her quirk.
4.) Mr. Snipe - Big fan of robo-McCree.
5.) Cementoss - Good dude.
6.) Thirteen - Great design.
7.) Eraser Head - Still feels like a Kakashi knockoff.
8.) Ectoplasm - Didn't really get a sense of him.
9.) Power Loader - See #8 but factor in worse design.
10.) Present Mic - Annoying.

And power rankings for the intro/outro music...

1.) Season 1 intro
2.) Season 2 first outro
3.) Season 2 second intro
4.) Season 1 outro
5.) Season 2 second outro
6.) Season 2 first intro

Last thing: is hugging not a thing in Japan? I feel like anime has like >1% of the hugging that would actually happen under these circumstances.