Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Apartment laundries are so bad that I bought a washboard just to stretch my time between going down to the laundry a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've had places where I honestly preferred hauling my rear end to the laundromat to using the on-site facilities.

One laundromat in Ontario sold cheap rear end hot chocolate and coffee and would give you whatever change you needed. There I actually enjoyed doing laundry. Instead of doing laundry in a dingy shared basement I'd go chill out for a few hours in the poverty coffee shop and listen to podcasts to the delightful scent of chemical detergent.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yo if I had a coffee shop laundromat I'd invite my friends to do laundry together. that owns bones

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A while back I was at the laundromat while it was pouring snow outside with my new 3DS and some hot chocolate and it was the most unexpectedly cozy thing I have ever experienced.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The apartment I lived in in Kansas had a massive laundry room, on par with a laundromat, including a couple of the big rear end washers and dryers, it was really nice. I think there was only one time when I can think of when it was full, it even had a room with a TV and some books and whatnot if you really wanted to stick around.

Of course they didn't have a change machine, so I usually dropped by the laundromat down the street to get my quarters. That laundromat was really nice but it seemed like more of a hassle to go there.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You went to a laundromat for quarters but it was too much of a hassle to just bring your clothes with you?

In college we had a soda machine in our apartment and had it stocked with cheap lovely beer. We always kept a ton of quarters around for people to use it since it didn't take bills and it worked out pretty nicely since once our neighbors found out about it we would get people stopping by to grab a couple beers and load up on quarters for laundry.

That apartment complex was probably the best I've seen for laundry rooms too. Each building had 6 units + a laundry room so even though there were only 3 washers and 3 dryers per room it was pretty rare to not be able to get your stuff in. Compared to our dorms the previous year which had like 36 room per floor and only 1 washer/dryer set it was awesome.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Dec 28, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I got so fed up with communal washing machines that I started using a big plastic tub and a washboard and it honestly doesn't suck at all. You need some extra time for the clothes to soak, but it's not very much actual work.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My laundromat in New Orleans was just a pub with a row of coin washers and dryers in the back. Great way to pass the time, I gotta say.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

When I get stuck on a game, I tend to Google what to do next, and often get reddit users who have already asked the same question as me. Invariably, in the responses, there'll be some sanctimonious oval office saying "Well, if you actually paid attention to the game's environmental story telling, you'd find out the answer. Why don't you explore the game world and find out the answer for yourself?"

Dude, I get to play video games for like maybe 1 hour a day on average... if I get stuck, I just wanna progress, I don't want to spend hours retreading areas just because I missed a keycode written on a whiteboard.

This is kinda my pet peeve, but less about people and more about the games themselves. I'm absolutely ruined by Half-Life/Valve and how they take a lot time and effort to do things like guide the players eye to stuff, giving some breathing room between intense situations, etc. Like, if I ask someone "hey how do I get to this thing", the time for non-answers like "just explore" and poo poo are over.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector 34 posted:

You went to a laundromat for quarters but it was too much of a hassle to just bring your clothes with you?

Eh, it was pretty close to home, so I could stop on the way home from places like work, or the grocery store, I don't usually bring my dirty clothes with me to those places.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

'... will be delivered before 1600'
Starting when? 6? 8? 10? 12? How long of a period do I have to spend being ready to suddenly get a delivery, because there's just like a 10% chance that they call 30 min before or whatever like they're supposed to.
I think once or twice I've gotten calls of 'I've finished the previous delivery and am on my way to you now.', and those I quite appreciated.

Waiting around for something to eventually happen, sometime, and I have to drop things to handle it is the worst goddamn thing.
The least they could do is note down what the delivery window is, nowhere on their site does it say if the daytime delivery window starts at like 8 in the morning, or if they start after lunch, etc.

If I got a solid 'delivery will happen between 12 and 16' then I know I can do stuff like laundry and etc until then atleast.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have way too many friends who "care" about the pandemic but think they're special. Like "no see I'm safe most of the time and I really need to see my family and well I might go see my friend in Colorado after and yeah we're going out to eat every day but we..." etc etc etc no if these fuckers would just stop and follow the extremely obvious steps we all need to take for like, a month or two, we could start making things better. Goddam people. I guess my peeve is people thinking they're the main character of society.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I hate when you put somebody on your Ignore list so you don't have to read their posts anymore, but they still post in threads you read and other people still quote them, so you end up reading their posts anyway.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

SubNat posted:

Waiting around for something to eventually happen, sometime, and I have to drop things to handle it is the worst goddamn thing.

The more I hear about stuff like this, the more I'm thankful that all of the delivery people around here just toss the package and leave. Having to wait around for a delivery is completely alien to me and would definitely be a peeve.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

The more I hear about stuff like this, the more I'm thankful that all of the delivery people around here just toss the package and leave. Having to wait around for a delivery is completely alien to me and would definitely be a peeve.

I mean, I could do a signature-less thing and have them drop off the package, which is an option they do offer. (Alongside stuff like 'deliver behind house' etc.)
However I assume if the driver dropped off a tv, straight on the street, infront of an apartment complex where probably 300-400+ people live, it would vanish in a loving nanosecond without supervision.

There are plenty of options for stuff like 'deliver a small package straight to your door and just get a message about it when it gets dropped off', but that's for cheap things, not expensive electronics.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even if something requires a signature, the driver signs for it themselves and drops it off. It shows up on the tracking as "resident signed for package" or similar.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

SubNat posted:

I really hate apartment washrooms.

Come down, 7 driers.
1 in use. 6 done, all full.
5 of them had a load of clothes on top, meaning that there have been 2 rounds of people not picking their poo poo up.

I know the driers are a bit lovely to time because they'll just stop when they're 'dry', which can sometimes just be like 10-20 min. And don't give a time estimate like the washing machines do.

But you can just check the status on the same page you use to book the machines in the first place, they'll even say when they finished!
Why the gently caress is it so hard for people to just pick up their loving laundry instead of having half the washers and half the driers be stacked sky high with laundry piles?

This is of course my fault for doing a load of laundry on a sunday evening, instead of early on a weekday like I prefer, but it's still insanely frustrating.

I used to use the pragmatic solution. Give it 20 minutes after the cycle ends, then throw their poo poo on the floor.
At my own house, it doesn't matter. When we had an apartment you set a timer for yourself and don't leave your crap in the machine. It's rude.

I have no problem if someone throws my stuff on the floor if I forget. I don't know why people who are late to get their laundry are so pissy when someone else needs the machine.,

What's this "booking a machine" thing you speak of? It was always an honor system when I lived in apartments. If I was lucky to have a laundry room.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I can’t articulate why, but I hate hate HATE food discussion on the forums (which are always derails, because I don’t read any food threads).

It’s boring as gently caress, and I can only ever imagine just grotesque, neckbearded , fat fuckers with anime avatars greasily pontificating about which is better, cheese-covered bacon or bacon-covered cheese.

What makes it weird is that I love cooking, and eating, talking about recipes, watching cookery shows etc in IRL.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

mostlygray posted:

What's this "booking a machine" thing you speak of? It was always an honor system when I lived in apartments. If I was lucky to have a laundry room.

It's an elegant system where if someone thinks of washing their clothes, they might book a machine for 18-20 online, preventing anyone else from starting it during that period. (Machines get unlocked after you've used one, or the booking period runs out.)
This of course means that if some airhead books a machine and forgets about it, they might lock a machine from use from 1800-1950, where they'll suddenly remember about it and start their load at like 1955. Thus occupying a machine for 3 hours for a 1 hour washing cycle.

It has it's upsides when people use it correctly, since it means you're guaranteed a machine provided the person before finished up during their slot.
But I've encountered the 'whoops started the machine super late' issue only once, so it's thankfully not -that- common.

Every apartment complex and/or dorm apartment complex I've lived in here in Oslo has had these kinds of electronic payment and booking systems. On the whole it's alright, but incredibly frustrating from time to time.
I couldn't imagine loving dealing wish cash and etc on top of it all, but then again Norway is a borderline cashless society at this point, so using hard cash for -anything- other than like, a nice bill as a gift nowadays is bizarre to me.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

Even if something requires a signature, the driver signs for it themselves and drops it off. It shows up on the tracking as "resident signed for package" or similar.

This is wildly inconsistent in my experience. Sometimes FedEx does that and sometimes they do the classic “leave a door tag without knocking” move.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I have a coworker who's very insecure about the fact that she was promoted to something above entry level for the first time in her 25 year career, and is being super annoying about it.

She'll ask me a question about one of my project sites under the guise of "just curious :)", so I'll do the multiple hours of research to come up with answer X. She'll then answer "actually I think it's Z because I happened to have a conversation with so and so and they said blah blah blah and I guessed you missed that little detail :)" and then forward the entire conversation to our boss to show how she's "mentoring" me.

And it's just like, oh, this is why you've changed jobs every 2 years and you've never been promoted. I sure love working as a contestant on a gameshow rather than as a professional?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Leaf blowers.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Green is how a sensible person crosses the road.

Red is how every demented motherfucker in my city does it. Usually while on the phone, and dragging a toddler.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riatsala posted:

I have a coworker who's very insecure about the fact that she was promoted to something above entry level for the first time in her 25 year career, and is being super annoying about it.

She'll ask me a question about one of my project sites under the guise of "just curious :)", so I'll do the multiple hours of research to come up with answer X. She'll then answer "actually I think it's Z because I happened to have a conversation with so and so and they said blah blah blah and I guessed you missed that little detail :)" and then forward the entire conversation to our boss to show how she's "mentoring" me.

And it's just like, oh, this is why you've changed jobs every 2 years and you've never been promoted. I sure love working as a contestant on a gameshow rather than as a professional?

You're actually doing yourself a disservice if you're not changing jobs every 3 years, HTH

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not going to change jobs every 3 years, gently caress that

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I know it's basically the only way to get meaningful raises in tech but agreed gently caress that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

I know it's basically the only way to get meaningful raises in tech but agreed gently caress that

IT's the only way to get raises anywhere, unless you've got the nepotism connection.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Laundromat I used to go to switched over to a coinless system which was nice because they would add incentives to putting money on their pre-paid cards and also for using certain machines. Like use a big washer and get $.75 credit for the dryers.

My biggest pet peeve with Laundromats in general are people who bring their kids in with them and then proceed to pay absolutely no attention to them. I never saw anybody leave their child unattended but there were some who were definitely checked out, like an incident where a kid climbed into a dryer and shut the door behind themselves and the parent didn't even notice.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I hate when you put somebody on your Ignore list so you don't have to read their posts anymore, but they still post in threads you read and other people still quote them, so you end up reading their posts anyway.
This is correct and good and annoying.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The mask pack I just bought is white on the outside, blue on the inside.
If I wear them 'correctly' everyone is going to think I'm a dweeb who can't put on a mask correctly.
If I wear them with the blue side out, I'm wearing them the wrong way, but it'll look like they're the right way for anyone who doesn't look closely.

:saddowns:
(Thankfully it's just a 10-pack, but still.)
(I assume it's the same everywhere that the 'standard' one-use masks for the public are light blue on the outside.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

My biggest pet peeve with Laundromats in general are people who bring their kids in with them and then proceed to pay absolutely no attention to them. I never saw anybody leave their child unattended but there were some who were definitely checked out, like an incident where a kid climbed into a dryer and shut the door behind themselves and the parent didn't even notice.

Bring coin-op arcade games back to laundromats. No kid would choose a dryer over Mr. Do!.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

Bring coin-op arcade games back to laundromats. No kid would choose a dryer over Mr. Do!.

:emptyquote:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SubNat posted:

The mask pack I just bought is white on the outside, blue on the inside.
If I wear them 'correctly' everyone is going to think I'm a dweeb who can't put on a mask correctly.
If I wear them with the blue side out, I'm wearing them the wrong way, but it'll look like they're the right way for anyone who doesn't look closely.

:saddowns:
(Thankfully it's just a 10-pack, but still.)
(I assume it's the same everywhere that the 'standard' one-use masks for the public are light blue on the outside.)

There's enough variety that nobody's going to give a poo poo, and if you cover your nose you're doing it better than half the morons in the 'states, no matter which side is facing out.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have a relative that was completely willing to wear a mask but thought that it was just for hiding his identity rather than breathing through until I explained it to him. So he was wearing it covering his nose but only partially covering his mouth.

There needs to be a big PSA in the middle of whatever the hell people watch on TV these days explaining that the masks are for breathing through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Only Comcast can make "plug in a new, non Comcast modem and it takes a few minutes to reset itself and then it just works" into a five hour series of three tech support calls that go in circles because each individual person does not know how to actually activate it and will not pass off the phone to someone who does. I'm not loving paying $70 for a technician to come out. A technician isn't coming out. Hit the button that says "the new modem works now" and hang up, you are not going to scam me, PLEASE stop trying.

edit: They were so incompetent that during this series of calls one of them removed my internet plan from the account and didn't put it back and it just disappeared from my list of packages, and I had to start off the next call reversing this error. Thanks dudes :)

Btw the modem didn't get set up. They couldn't figure it out.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Dec 31, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When I moved into a new house last year the internet company was supposed to send someone out to set up the internet. Except nobody showed and when we called back they said someone had been by but nobody answered the door (which is bullshit because someone was home all day.) Reschedule for the next day and the guy shows up. He says he needs something from his truck and goes back out. As I'm standing in the doorway I realize that I actually saw his truck parked in front of my house the previous day and so he had basically driven to my house, parked and then left without even attempting to check if anyone was home.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

When I moved into a new house last year the internet company was supposed to send someone out to set up the internet. Except nobody showed and when we called back they said someone had been by but nobody answered the door (which is bullshit because someone was home all day.) Reschedule for the next day and the guy shows up. He says he needs something from his truck and goes back out. As I'm standing in the doorway I realize that I actually saw his truck parked in front of my house the previous day and so he had basically driven to my house, parked and then left without even attempting to check if anyone was home.

A couple months ago my rented washer and dryer were, well having issues. They sent out at tech, who said that they needed a new timer and a belt, went out to their truck and never returned.

Called them the next day and they offered to do a swap, but they only swapped the dryer, and repaired the washer. Washer is working great, but the switch that stops the dryer if you open it doesn't work, which isn't terrible, but the new dryer has that idle spin feature to reduce wrinkles, so if you're not paying attention and it's still in that area, it'll just start spinning. I probably should call that in, but I feel like we might just buy a washer/dryer set in the next few months.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

I have a relative that was completely willing to wear a mask but thought that it was just for hiding his identity rather than breathing through until I explained it to him. So he was wearing it covering his nose but only partially covering his mouth.

There needs to be a big PSA in the middle of whatever the hell people watch on TV these days explaining that the masks are for breathing through.

Why did he think so many people were trying to hide their identity this year? Or why stores were making it a policy?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

He knew it was for COVID-19 but thought it was just so it was harder to get the blame pinned on you if you got a stranger sick, and stores were requiring it for some bizarre liability reason he made up in his head.

Edit: I know that a lot of people wear masks wrong on purpose just to be assholes, but I see much so much variety in how people wear masks in a way that defeats the purpose that there must be other people that genuinely don't understand how they work.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Only Comcast can make "plug in a new, non Comcast modem and it takes a few minutes to reset itself and then it just works" into a five hour series of three tech support calls that go in circles because each individual person does not know how to actually activate it and will not pass off the phone to someone who does. I'm not loving paying $70 for a technician to come out. A technician isn't coming out. Hit the button that says "the new modem works now" and hang up, you are not going to scam me, PLEASE stop trying.

edit: They were so incompetent that during this series of calls one of them removed my internet plan from the account and didn't put it back and it just disappeared from my list of packages, and I had to start off the next call reversing this error. Thanks dudes :)

Btw the modem didn't get set up. They couldn't figure it out.

I used to work in a comcast call centre. There is no one to pass the phone off to. It's a poo poo company that only exists because they bribed themselves into a comfy monopoly.