Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Different people like different things. The exploration didn't really do much for me in Breath of the Wild, for some reason, I got addicted to upgrading all of my gear.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is no joke how I feel about fortnite.

gently caress the haters, both serious and sarcastic, I've been having an absolute blast. I rolled my eyes on it forever, thinking "this game looks bad and annoying and dumb", and while I can still sort of see how and why I felt those things, at its core it's just a huge party, and it cheers me up. :shobon: :unsmith:

I really liked the Fortnite:Save the World portion. I don't even know if people still play that part or if you can even play it. I just wish Epic supported it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

What are some good non-kart racing games on the switch? Arcadey like forza horizon is fine, or simmy on the order of Dirt Rally too.

Hell, I'd even play something like The Crew or the new NFS games, there just don't seem to be any that made it to switch.

Horizon Chase Turbo is a fun time on the extremely arcadey side of the spectrum

https://retronauts.com/article/1455/skip-to-summer-with-horizon-chase-turbo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

blackguy32 posted:

I really liked the Fortnite:Save the World portion. I don't even know if people still play that part or if you can even play it. I just wish Epic supported it more.

StW isn't on Switch, but I'm not missing it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ColdPie posted:

Horizon Chase Turbo is a fun time on the extremely arcadey side of the spectrum

https://retronauts.com/article/1455/skip-to-summer-with-horizon-chase-turbo

Seconding a recommendation for this. Great game with a ton of content.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Foul Fowl posted:

Also I'm looking at Children of Morta in the sale - it's got very good reviews but so did Moonlighter and that was a dull boring dud of a game. It seems kinda like a roguelite Diablo-style hack and slash game which I'm into. Has anyone tried it?

I disagree with the other poster. Children of Morta is a good time. It has Diablo like cool-downs, but it reminded me a lot more of Gauntlet Legends. You have plenty of different character classes and the procedural part of the game is pretty good, with no single stage being longer than 15 minutes or so, and unlike some other roguelites, none of the random momentary upgrades are a negative, everything pretty much helps you. The complaint about the currency is that it starts hard to get, but you do unlock permanent upgrades with in-game gold and you can snowball VERY fast making those gems rather easy to find.

In fact it's that sort of power creep that is my critique, there will be a point when the game is just not difficult at all, but it's fun to mindlessly run through a dungeon or two. The art direction of the game is good. I liked the graphics and the music is fine if nondescript. The narration might bug some people, but ultimately I felt it was a nice touch. The overall story is good enough to be worth experiencing. If you like the genre you won't be disappointed. There's plenty of things to unlock and even if the stages can feel a touch samey, there's enough variety in gameplay to keep you busy. It's not the best in that rather bloated genre, but it stands out enough from its peers to feel worthwhile. If you have someone to couch co-op with, it's definitely a fun time, even if it becomes even easier. I enjoyed it enough to unlock all the permanent upgrades and level the whole roster, aside from the new character to level 31 or something (Essentially beat every stage with every character). There's a small (paid?) DLC that adds more flavor dialogue, which frankly is rather charming since it makes your little warriors feel more alive and real.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you need a new “rogue” game I suggest the Shiren game that just came out on the switch. It’s real good

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The One True Way to enjoy Breath of the Pantsless is never to wear pants. All other ways are objectively Wrong.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
My main complaint with Childers of Morta is that it doesn't have online coop on switch.

I'd get minecraft dungeons instead if you haven't already.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Numlock posted:

My main complaint with Childers of Morta is that it doesn't have online coop on switch.

I'd get minecraft dungeons instead if you haven't already.

The minecraft title put me off from it since I've played Minecraft. I know it's different but how and in what ways?

hatty posted:

If you need a new “rogue” game I suggest the Shiren game that just came out on the switch. It’s real good

We talked about it at release but "Tangledeep" is a legit rogue game that is very pretty, plays very well, and keep be as good or as hard as you need it to be. It also has a fairly decent job system for those of you who like that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The minecraft title put me off from it since I've played Minecraft. I know it's different but how and in what ways?
It has absolutely nothing to do with Minecraft other than the graphical style and the characters. Its just a really basic rear end diabloesque loot game. Its pretty shallow and there's not much content in it, imo there's a lot better options on the Switch for that kind of game. Diablo III for one, but even like Katanakami is a much more interesting game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

What are some good non-kart racing games on the switch? Arcadey like forza horizon is fine, or simmy on the order of Dirt Rally too.

Hell, I'd even play something like The Crew or the new NFS games, there just don't seem to be any that made it to switch.

Need for speed hot pursuit is 50% off eshop right now, making the price $20

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

homeless snail posted:

It has absolutely nothing to do with Minecraft other than the graphical style and the characters. Its just a really basic rear end diabloesque loot game. Its pretty shallow and there's not much content in it, imo there's a lot better options on the Switch for that kind of game. Diablo III for one, but even like Katanakami is a much more interesting game

Yeah a lot of people like to throw "Diablo-like" around and frankly, if I wanted that, I'd play Diablo. It's a great gameplay loop but not one I need in my life these days. Morta clearly is going for that somehow, but frankly it feels and plays more to me like Gauntlet Legends, since you're not really getting better loot, just leveling up and your attacks like in Gauntlet are just really spammable basic attacks with the occasional gently caress off button and the rare Nuke Everything button.

I really liked Gauntlet Legends even if we never got to beat it. That was a neat game, and I don't find a lot of games quite nail that feel.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Walla posted:

I keep trying to decide if I want online. A small part of me wants the NES and SNES apps but I'm not going to engage in any sort of online multiplayer.
How do you feel about potentially losing all your saves with a lost/stolen/broken Switch?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The benefit of Minecraft Dungeons is that its basic and anyone can pretty much jump in and play, plus it's a bit more light-hearted. I own Diablo 3 and the game just feels full but apparently I can't get to the good stuff until I beat the game. I just kind of gave up on it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

hatty posted:

I'm mighty tempted but it's not on sale and I've already got a backlog a mile long after this brutal mega-sale.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

blackguy32 posted:

The benefit of Minecraft Dungeons is that its basic and anyone can pretty much jump in and play, plus it's a bit more light-hearted. I own Diablo 3 and the game just feels full but apparently I can't get to the good stuff until I beat the game. I just kind of gave up on it.

Oh, on Switch you don't need to beat the game. It's just a gently caress poo poo up simulator 200%. All you need to do is "beat" level 1-70.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Oh, on Switch you don't need to beat the game. It's just a gently caress poo poo up simulator 200%. All you need to do is "beat" level 1-70.

I have it on PS4. Maybe I'll just power through it. I'm really disappointed that there aren't loot games that play timing based like PSO. Everything is pretty much hold this button down to combo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

blackguy32 posted:

I have it on PS4. Maybe I'll just power through it. I'm really disappointed that there aren't loot games that play timing based like PSO. Everything is pretty much hold this button down to combo.

Aah, oh well. It's a bit of a slog to play through, but once you've done it, you've done it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Walla posted:

I keep trying to decide if I want online. A small part of me wants the NES and SNES apps but I'm not going to engage in any sort of online multiplayer.

Considering the cost is 20 bucks per year, I'd say go for it. And I say this as someone who adamantly refuses to buy into PS+, regardless of how many goodies loving Sony gives out like some sort of online crack dealer

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

You also get Tetris 99, which still has more than enough players and is chill and cool.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Libluini posted:

Considering the cost is 20 bucks per year, I'd say go for it. And I say this as someone who adamantly refuses to buy into PS+, regardless of how many goodies loving Sony gives out like some sort of online crack dealer

If it's just for the apps just double-check that the games there are ones you will/want to play. Tetris 99 is pretty worth it to. You don't have to get it yearly, I think they have shorter subscriptions if you want to try it and then see if you actually have the time to make use of it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How do you feel about potentially losing all your saves with a lost/stolen/broken Switch?

Switch never leaves the house so I only have to worry if it breaks, but I still have my Wii U and 3DS if that happens. :)

I do have enough Platinum points for a free week so maybe I'll just give it a try.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lapis x Labyrinth is finally clicking for me. I can't find too much info out there for it, so my question if anyone knows is: do all the buffs and enhancements on all of your characters apply to the leader you're controlling? The party screen sure makes it seem that way. Enjoyable game but goddamn if they don't tell you anything about how anything works in-game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So I've started playing a link to the past on the snes emulator thing. I've got the green pendant and the one in the southwest, but how do I get up the mountain to get the third? I found a cave but I need to be able to jump in order to get across some pits, is there a roc's feather in this game? so far I have the speed boots, the power glove and the flippers.

I assumed it isn't worth going into the forest to try and get the sword until I have the three pendants.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there's no roc's feather, i don't think you end up 'crossing' any of those pits i think you find backdoors. pretty sure you only need the power gloves to get up death mountain

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You need the glove to lift a big boulder blocking the entrance to Death Mountain a little to the northwest of the Sanctuary, on the screen underneath the Lumberbros. After that you have to go through a maze where you'll find an old man, and then you'll be on the mountain when you get out. There's no pits blocking the path.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

homeless snail posted:

even like Katanakami is a much more interesting game

Is it? I saw it on PC and was interested but the reviews worried me. Is it actually A Decent Time on the Switch? Not that i have a high bar, I just like decent and rewarding combat

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I am having trouble not sucking at into the breach. Am I supposed to upgrade a bunch of stuff before I stop getting owned on any difficulty except easy? The difficulty curve between easy and normal feels super steep. Admittedly I've never been great at tactics games but I can't actually beat a single mission on normal without losing at least one if not two mechs

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I was disappointed by Katana Kami because I was hoping for a Way of the Samurai HD and that isn't.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Walla posted:

I was disappointed by Katana Kami because I was hoping for a Way of the Samurai HD and that isn't.

I think this is the problem. It's a perfectly serviceable rogue-lite with a Way of the Samurai dressing but it's a Rogue-lite first.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I am having trouble not sucking at into the breach. Am I supposed to upgrade a bunch of stuff before I stop getting owned on any difficulty except easy? The difficulty curve between easy and normal feels super steep. Admittedly I've never been great at tactics games but I can't actually beat a single mission on normal without losing at least one if not two mechs

You're gonna have to suffer and get a few upgrades, but the game really gets magical once you start figuring out plays a dozen moves ahead and feel like a chess grandmaster. Sometimes you need to sit there and think about a move for an hour, but I guess that's not for everyone.

Practice helps though, if you can get some enjoyment from the suffering, it's worth it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I do sort of like the repetitive slog of figuring it out like chess problems in the paper, but for whatever reason being good at this stuff has always been a struggle. I bought breach because I really liked advance wars but I did struggle to get anything about a b rank in those games. I also suck at chess so I can only assume it's a similar skill set. I quite like all these things despite being bad at them tbh. You'd think this would mean I would eventually learn how to get better at these things.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I suck poo poo at chess, but that's a lot of ADHD and concentration problems. Breach sort of presents it in a way that's way more engaging.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Gah I told myself I wasn't gonna buy anything new until I worked through some of my backlog and here I go and buy 5 games off of the eshop last night. I'll get to them before the end of 2021, I swear!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Alan_Shore posted:

Lapis x Labyrinth is finally clicking for me. I can't find too much info out there for it, so my question if anyone knows is: do all the buffs and enhancements on all of your characters apply to the leader you're controlling? The party screen sure makes it seem that way. Enjoyable game but goddamn if they don't tell you anything about how anything works in-game.

I learned about this game from this post and not only being on sale and reading the NintendoLife review made this seem like an instant buy at :10bux:, but before I do, is there anything I should know? I don't care about platforming, but fun combat and loot sound like an easy combo for me to invest time into.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm by no means any good at the game but a big component of it is learning what opportunities are available in the moment. Vek near water or a cliff? Knock his rear end in. Two vek adjacent to one another? See if it is beneficial to cause a collision between them. I loving love it when a scarab with 2 HP is next to a leaper with 1 HP. Shoot the scarab, it takes 1 damage from the shot then gets knocked into the leaper, both take 1 collision damage. 2 dead vek.

Having said that, each mech squad has upgrades that you'll want to prioritize and that comes down to learning them. For the rift walkers, the first reactor core i earn always goes to upgrading the artillery mech so that the shots don't damage buildings, that really opens up options for it. After that i usually try to boost damage to the cannon mech all the while expanding movement range and hp when applicable. From there it starts to depend on what secondary weapons I've gotten and how I want to prioritize

Some other general thoughts

When a time pod arrives, you know you're guaranteed a core reactor at the minimum, and if you're lucky maybe a pilot as well. The games not clear on this but you don't have to actually retrieve the pod during the stage, if the stage ends without the pod being destroyed you get the contents after. The vek will never target or trample the pod intentionally, but can be pushed onto one accidentally if you're not careful

I personally try to get as much reputation as possible and prioritize two star missions over one star + one power missions. You have the opportunity to buy power with reputation at the end of an island anyway. Of course sometimes if you're on life support you need to select missions with power rewards just to stay afloat

If I'm spending reputation, but get stuck with leftover reputation i can't use (not enough for a reactor core and I dont want any of the weapons on sale and I dont need power) ill use the leftover reputation to buy whatever junk weapons are for sale, then at the end of the next island I can sell them back for the same price and spend that reputation as I want

Finally...the game is freakin hard. I play a shitload and I generally keep to normal, any wins I get on hard are squeakers. So be patient and allow yourself time to learn it, it will be tough at first.

I'm sure that's more info/worse organized than you wanted but it was an excuse to talk about the game. If you have more questions ask away. There's an ancient into the breach thread around here somewhere but I don't think its active, which is why I plague this thread with my breach posts.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The difficulty curve is graded such that you should be competitive from start to finish, with the Vek's power increasing as you gain upgrades to counter them. I will say the further you go, the more tools you have at your disposal and the amount of solutions to the various problems you have, so it's rare once past the first two islands that I would ever run into a fight I consider unfair or 'unwinnable'. Obviously play like you want, but I would say when I tried easy that it was so easy as to remove most of the challenge, and accordingly the experience, needed to get better at the game. For advice, find the button that shows the turn order of the Vek, I think by clicking one of the sticks. I didn't realise you could do this for a while and it's incredibly important for advanced strategies. The other is to find and use the pilot with the extra rewind skill, which gives you additional leeway when you're still learning the ropes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

No it's good stuff, admittedly my playtime is so low that some of it is a bit over my head but I appreciate the insight. One of the things that makes me immediately rage quit or abandon timeline early is getting the splash/push effects of the ranged units mixed up because I'm playing way too fast and trashing buildings so I'm still very much in the learning stages. It's a very cool game I find super frustrating so it's good to know it's just a bit hard. I was thinking about how I never played the new xcom games so being methodical and cautious is sort of something I'm just getting used to

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is also no shame in playing on easy to just enjoy the game

It is fun as hell and shouldn't be missed out on just because your epeen shrinks when you choose any mode other than ULTIMATE GAMER

this is not directed at anyone in particular, I just think everyone should play Into the Breach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Bloop posted:

There is also no shame in playing on easy to just enjoy the game

this but any game