Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
How is cable management in the M1?

Also, i’ve gotten bitten by the NAS bug (it’s not terminal yet, but it’s headed there), so space foe a 3.5” storage drive may not be necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Head Bee Guy posted:

How is cable management in the M1?

Also, i’ve gotten bitten by the NAS bug (it’s not terminal yet, but it’s headed there), so space foe a 3.5” storage drive may not be necessary

It really depends on the hardware you’re using. If you want multiple 2.5/3.5 inch hard drives or SSDs it’s going to be a bit more difficult. A 240mm AIO will also be more of a hassle than a tower cooler and SFX-L power supplies eat more space than a SFX unit. Fully modular PSUs with individual sleeved cables are good but you can also buy custom length PSU cables too.

When I still used the M1 I had a 10900K cooled by a noctua U9S, EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra, Corsair SF750 and only M.2 drives so cable management wasn’t too bad. The noctua C14S wasn’t bad either but I think the U9S is better for the Ncase. There is space to stuff cables behind the GPU, behind the front plate and around the top of the case.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 24, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Get a 2-bay NAS for $130 and save yourself the aggravation. Then a $200 shield to run Plex.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Have a very ITX question to ask: from the surface of a Ryzen 5000 in it's socket, down to the surface of a PC case (where the hexagonal part of the motherboard standoff screws meet the case chassis) exactly how many millimeters would that be? I know exactly how many millimeters my CPU heatsink-fan is, so I need to know to what all the other required space takes up so I can make a case that fits precisely.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Just wanted to update the thread that I ended up going with that $120 Cooler Master SFX V650 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBBQERG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Unfortunately, it's loud as gently caress. Any little thing I do, such as opening a single Chrome tab, makes the PSU fan rev up for just one second, and it sounds like a leaf blower. I can hear it through my headphones, and it's incredibly distracting since it's just constantly going on and off, on and off.

The fan curve on the box looks like the fans start up at around 15% draw, but even at 100% fan speed, it should be at 25 dba. I tried using a sound meter app on my phone, which is probably super inaccurate, and it was measuring 55 db.

I think I'm going to try to return this and get the Corsair SF750. A local store has it for $200 (a bit over MSRP). 80 extra bucks is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I can't help but feel a little bitter about it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That’s a really weird experience with a PSU of that price point. I’d be bitter about it too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
E: Nevemrind

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Resonance22 posted:

Just wanted to update the thread that I ended up going with that $120 Cooler Master SFX V650 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBBQERG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Unfortunately, it's loud as gently caress.

Add the new silverstone sx750 platinum to this list. I just returned mine and randomly found a brand new sf750 on Craigslist.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Canna Happy posted:

Add the new silverstone sx750 platinum to this list. I just returned mine and randomly found a brand new sf750 on Craigslist.

drat! Thanks for the heads up. I was actually eyeing the Silverstone as well.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

New from FormD/Lian Li: the Meshlicious https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

Case looks nice, name is bad. Hell, might even pick one up depending on the optimum tech review

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sphyre posted:

Case looks nice, name is bad. Hell, might even pick one up depending on the optimum tech review

That's reasonably priced too. poo poo.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sphyre posted:

I'm not gonna get a new case...

gently caress

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Sphyre posted:

I don’t understand the layout. One photo has an itx gpu mounted horizontally and another has a 3000 fe mounted vertically. I hope you can use a radiator on the gpu side if you have a water block on it, but I doubt it. Looking forward to the review video.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Do AIB cards perform better in sandwich cases? I've hit the limits of my GPU in my SM560 and I'm not sure which way i want to go with upgrading yet, if I wanna get a GPU that'll work in my current case until I can get a T1, or if I wanna get a temporary case that'll work with whatever GPU I can get (and a 240 radiator, I guess. My CPU gets hot.)

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 28, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Canna Happy posted:

I don’t understand the layout. One photo has an itx gpu mounted horizontally and another has a 3000 fe mounted vertically. I hope you can use a radiator on the gpu side if you have a water block on it, but I doubt it. Looking forward to the review video.

Looks like it supports gpu's in either orientation.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/mesh-licious-14-5l-vertical-280aio-mainstream-case.14608/

quote:

- Up to 335mm *vertical GPU support, up tp 4 slots, cable exit through the bottom
- Up to 235mm *horizontal GPU support, up to 4 slots, cable exit through the back

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Ok, yeah, io out the bottom for the gpu and the back for the motherboard. Eh, we’ll see.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I imagine you're gonna have to clean your computer like every couple weeks. I have an all panel vented SM580 and the dust can get kinda crazy.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I got some spacers and block off plates 3d printed for my deshrouded zotac 3080.

8mm spacer at the bottom.

and two block off plates for the side with the most overhang.

With untouched fan curves/volt/stock +200mhz on mem it got better temps.
tested with heaven loops and superposition runs.

Temps
Deshrouded: 73c
With cardboard angled blocking plates + and no spacer: 70c (just for testing to see if it was worth it)
With spacer and flat blocker: 67c

At below 70c the default fan curve also makes it run at around 20% less fan speed.

3d models I found and got adjusted a little.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4671154

There are also ducted versions
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4621353

Gonna see If I can get custom fan curves/voltage curves to stick in afterburner, had some issues with it not working even with the beta. though most likely user error/ stupid loving gui design.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Optimum Tech already has a review up of the Meshilicious. (What a dumb rear end name)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKpNt1o6l_Y

He specifically says the 3080 Gaming X Trio won't fit in it, so looks like I'm sticking with my SM580.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 28, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Optimum Tech already has a review up of the Meshilicious. (What a dumb rear end name)

He specifically says the 3080 Gaming X Trio won't fit in it, so looks like I'm sticking with my SM580.

This will be the case I do my big overhaul build in the next couple years or so for sure.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Romes128 posted:

Terrible name but an affordable price. I’m not a fan of AIOs or riser cables but if those don’t bother you it seems like a good option. I’d have expected a bit better GPU compatibility for the size but oh well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sphyre posted:

For the person that can't get enough of spilling drinks in to their system

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Shoulda called it Meshy McMeshface

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Been waiting for this or the FormD P1, but considering the aluminium pricing crisis I think I'm gonna go for this.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Supradog posted:

I got some spacers and block off plates 3d printed for my deshrouded zotac 3080.

8mm spacer at the bottom.

and two block off plates for the side with the most overhang.

With untouched fan curves/volt/stock +200mhz on mem it got better temps.
tested with heaven loops and superposition runs.

Temps
Deshrouded: 73c
With cardboard angled blocking plates + and no spacer: 70c (just for testing to see if it was worth it)
With spacer and flat blocker: 67c

At below 70c the default fan curve also makes it run at around 20% less fan speed.

3d models I found and got adjusted a little.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4671154

There are also ducted versions
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4621353

Gonna see If I can get custom fan curves/voltage curves to stick in afterburner, had some issues with it not working even with the beta. though most likely user error/ stupid loving gui design.

Hah - I think I'm running the exact same setup as you. Deshrouded zotac 3080 in an nr200. Too bad I don't have access to a printer. I was really surprised by how much gap there was with 25mm fans but it still seems to perform okay; seeing about 76c peak with a12x25s set to exhaust at about 60%.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don't know much about temps and cooling etc but I'm very happy with my nr200 and 3080 FE. When I check HWinfo after I've been gaming a while I haven't seen either CPU or GPU go much above 70. I ran Heaven on full blast for 30 minutes and the highest the GPU got was 75, and after running various Cinebench renders for a while the CPU didn't get into the 70s.

This is with a 5600x, 3080FE, the two stock fans as bottom intakes, the Scythe Fuma 2 fans set to rear intake, and an a12x15 and Arctic p12 as top exhausts.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
The thing I don’t understand with the meshilicious is how you have multiple displays if you need to use a right angle connection. It seems like you would maybe be able to use like two before they were pushing into one another.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Looks like it would have enough clearance for a normal cable if you bent it enough.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

particle9 posted:

The thing I don’t understand with the meshilicious is how you have multiple displays if you need to use a right angle connection. It seems like you would maybe be able to use like two before they were pushing into one another.

There are 90 degree DP cables that shoot the cable downward instead of off to the side like the HDMI one shown in the video: https://www.amazon.com/Displayport-...09266124&sr=8-4

Looking at the angle and how much space there is in the recessed part of the case for the GPU IO, seems like the above linked cables would work out just fine.

[edit] They also make HDMI 2.1 cables that have swivel/bendable connectors: https://www.amazon.com/LINKUP-High-...09266662&sr=8-2

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 29, 2020

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Oh wow yeah that makes more sense. Thanks!

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Decided to pull the trigger on one of the new S610s to replace my ancient 8-year old machine. Since everything is in delay hell, I've got like a month to plan out what to put inside it. What are people using to keep track of things being in stock again, with everything being so rare in this form factor/in general?

Here's what I've got so far:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v7LG2V

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (or 5600x depending on availability)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($259.58 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($184.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($299.82 @ Amazon)
Total: $1012.37

As for GPU, I was planning to just keep rolling with my GTX 1060 until I need to replace it, which is why I left that off.

Grabbed the 280mm AIO that they include with the case, I'll probably just load up on Noctua fans to use with it.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have the following right now in a Dan A4:

-i7 6700K with a cryorig c7
-16GB corsair DDR4-3200
-asrock Z270M
-EVGA 3080 XC3
-2TB M2 and a couple SATA SSDs

It works great, but gets real loud under load obviously, and I feel like I'm due for an upgrade anyway since getting the 3080. If I was going to upgrade to a contemporary CPU & motherboard, any suggestions? Any other advice on upgrades to mitigate the fan noise? I'm open to liquid cooling but I'm only familiar with closed loop stuff.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

particle9 posted:

Makes me wonder how the Corsair One accomplishes putting all its I/O out the back when its GPU is vertical. :thunk:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

ephori posted:

-16GB corsair DDR4-3200
-asrock Z270M
-EVGA 3080 XC3

It works great, but gets real loud under load obviously, and I feel like I'm due for an upgrade anyway since getting the 3080. If I was going to upgrade to a contemporary CPU & motherboard, any suggestions? Any other advice on upgrades to mitigate the fan noise? I'm open to liquid cooling but I'm only familiar with closed loop stuff.

B550/x570 and a 5600x would most likely be my pick for an a4. You could 3d print a fan bracket and a duct for your c7 and put a noctua on it or maybe use a noctua L9 and a duct. Water cooling options in a Dan are really limited, your only option is the 645lt from what I recall.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I love the look of these vertical cases but hate how the IO comes out of the bottom or the top (the meshilicious fixes this somewhat but I'd need 2 right angled connectors, one for HDMI and one for DP). Since I frequently move my case (nr200) between the bedroom and the living room ease of plugging poo poo in is a priority.

Also, having a cat around a vertical CPU case is dangerous, as they'll jump onto it and possibly tip it over.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 30, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ephori posted:

-16GB corsair DDR4-3200
-asrock Z270M
-EVGA 3080 XC3

Canna Happy posted:

B550/x570 and a 5600x would most likely be my pick for an a4. You could 3d print a fan bracket and a duct for your c7 and put a noctua on it or maybe use a noctua L9 and a duct. Water cooling options in a Dan are really limited, your only option is the 645lt from what I recall.
B550 and 5600X IMO. X570 doesn't get you anything ITX mainboards can actually use (B550 usually has better LAN options and no chipset fan). A Ryzen 5800X is said to be hot but it might work if you severely limit the TDP - at that point you might as well go 5900X and take the larger heat transfer area and more cores for $100 instead.

For water, the 645LT is the only option beyond sticking custom loops and larger radiators outside the case (some people do crazy things in the name of their SFF gods :v:), it's not really better than a properly set up air cooler in the case IIRC.

In terms of air coolers the Noctua L9a-AM4 is a good option that doesn't require much tinkering - the only thing you should put on it is a custom fan duct (3d print or cardboard) to avoid recycling hot air. If VRM/RAM temperatures are a concern you can stick a 120x15 mm fan on it with a custom adapter, on the L9i that didn't help but the L9a heatsink is larger so you get 1-2 degrees and some more air on the mainboard. There are a few ways to customize / optimize the CPU side by combining silent fans of your choice with different coolers' heatsinks. Like reusing the C7 with a better fan (you can find 3d printable adapters on Thingiverse eg.) like eg. a Noctua A9x14, or stick one of those under the Alpenföhn Black Ridge or on top of the Thermalright AXP-90R full copper version.

The main problem with noise in the A4 is running CPUs unlocked / auto-overclocked (I'd recommend setting a long term TDP limit of like 90 W, the CPU will still boost but not constantly), fan curves that make the fans ramp up and down all the time (very noticeable with Ryzens' boost behaviour) and having intake fans too close to the vented panels. If you're using (or planning to use) a fan underneath the mainboard you should make it push out the air at the bottom for that reason.

How is the EVGA RTX 3080 fitting and working for you? I always imagined it must be sort of loud in that case, but I was thinking about trying to get one for my A4 eventually.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Coredump posted:

Makes me wonder how the Corsair One accomplishes putting all its I/O out the back when its GPU is vertical. :thunk:

Small (~6") cables that connect to the outputs of the card and then are routed to the ports exposed on the back of the case. They didn't go with right-angle ones because there was (barely) enough room to just use "normal"-ish cable connections. It worked well for them since you weren't supposed to be mucking with it basically ever.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

orcane posted:

B550 and 5600X IMO. X570 doesn't get you anything ITX mainboards can actually use (B550 usually has better LAN options and no chipset fan). A Ryzen 5800X is said to be hot but it might work if you severely limit the TDP - at that point you might as well go 5900X and take the larger heat transfer area and more cores for $100 instead.

For water, the 645LT is the only option beyond sticking custom loops and larger radiators outside the case (some people do crazy things in the name of their SFF gods :v:), it's not really better than a properly set up air cooler in the case IIRC.

In terms of air coolers the Noctua L9a-AM4 is a good option that doesn't require much tinkering - the only thing you should put on it is a custom fan duct (3d print or cardboard) to avoid recycling hot air. If VRM/RAM temperatures are a concern you can stick a 120x15 mm fan on it with a custom adapter, on the L9i that didn't help but the L9a heatsink is larger so you get 1-2 degrees and some more air on the mainboard. There are a few ways to customize / optimize the CPU side by combining silent fans of your choice with different coolers' heatsinks. Like reusing the C7 with a better fan (you can find 3d printable adapters on Thingiverse eg.) like eg. a Noctua A9x14, or stick one of those under the Alpenföhn Black Ridge or on top of the Thermalright AXP-90R full copper version.

The main problem with noise in the A4 is running CPUs unlocked / auto-overclocked (I'd recommend setting a long term TDP limit of like 90 W, the CPU will still boost but not constantly), fan curves that make the fans ramp up and down all the time (very noticeable with Ryzens' boost behaviour) and having intake fans too close to the vented panels. If you're using (or planning to use) a fan underneath the mainboard you should make it push out the air at the bottom for that reason.

How is the EVGA RTX 3080 fitting and working for you? I always imagined it must be sort of loud in that case, but I was thinking about trying to get one for my A4 eventually.

Thanks, this is super informative! The 3080 actually fit really easy, I had read that some guys had issues with the side panel clearance but I had no problems in mine. It sits in the high 70s under load without any tweaks or OC, which is high but manageable. I'm really happy with it so far.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This seems to be a VRM heatsink that I just took off my motherboard. It is the only thing between me and squeezing a 120x15mm Noctua fan onto the underside of my Black Ridge CPU cooler.

Do you think I can get away with replacing that heatsink with one I make myself from taking a 10mm tall M.2 SSD heatsink and trimming/filing it down then driling a couple holes so I can mount it to the same holes? Would 10mm fall fins be fine there? I have no idea how many watts those VRMs (shown on the left side of the picture with thermal residue) can put out but it found it odd the stock heatsink is way taller than the passive X570 chipset heatsink (shown at bottom of picture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You can see if the motherboard exposes VRM temps, otherwise do you have a temp gun or sensors you could stick to them? All the wattage for your CPU goes through those, so they could be disappating a considerable amount of heat from shoving 150+W through them--a "good" temp is usually around 60C, with poor implementations hitting 90+.

The X570 chipset is only supposed to draw like 10W, so it needs a lot less cooling.

Anyhow, it's hard to say what will or will not be sufficient, especially since lower fin cross section can be made up for by better airflow (or vice versa), and I have no idea how much air it'll be getting with your setup. Try it and see? Worst that happens is temp skyrocket (have a sensor to be able to see this!) and the whole system throttles because the VRMs start choking off the power so they don't cook themselves.