Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Almost like Disney are total scum who just loving love copyright, but only when it's keeping their stuff out of the public domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ToxicFrog posted:

Almost like Disney are total scum who just loving love copyright, but only when it's keeping their stuff out of the public domain.

It's beyond even that really; this is just Disney lawyers throwing their weight around and thinking they can outmuscle a major author (like his stuff or not, he's a big name) and the SWFWA. This is an attempt at union busting.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://twitter.com/mikecosgrave/status/1329342125553684480

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1330142369438715906?s=20

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Anyone familiar with Dambudzo Marechara have a good suggestion on what to read next? I read House of Hunger and quite enjoyed it but not sure where to go from here.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

Anyone familiar with Dambudzo Marechara have a good suggestion on what to read next? I read House of Hunger and quite enjoyed it but not sure where to go from here.

He didn't write very much, Black Sunlight is supposed to be excellent but it's out of print and very difficult to find. There is a book of stories and other short pieces published posthumously called Mindblast that is much easier to come by but I haven't read it. I think there are some other posthumously published short writings and maybe some poetry as well.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Secret Santa sign-ups close in three days. I have added an extra week for presents to arrive.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 28, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1333736344733032450?s=20

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

This is so hosed. :cripes:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1335246535874007047?s=20

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ursulakleguin/status/1336401455348133895?s=20

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

:psyduck:

what a weird world we live in

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Famethrowa posted:

https://twitter.com/372Pages/status/1337097173327110144?s=20

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It sounds like they did their research perfectly.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Famethrowa posted:

The Blade Runner cyberpunk is well on its way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aw ... John Le Carre died.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Im looking for some good historical fiction novels set in the 20th century; primarily in Europe, the USSR, China, or America. I just watched season 2 of The Terror, and it really turned me on to the genre, and Im craving it in book form. If it/any includes sci-if elements that would be a major plus! Any recommendations?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Loveshaft posted:

I’m looking for some good historical fiction novels set in the 20th century; primarily in Europe, the USSR, China, or America. I just watched season 2 of The Terror, and it really turned me on to the genre, and I’m craving it in book form. If it/any includes sci-if elements — that would be a major plus! Any recommendations?

Declare by Tim Powers is what you're looking for.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

Loveshaft posted:

I’m looking for some good historical fiction novels set in the 20th century; primarily in Europe, the USSR, China, or America. I just watched season 2 of The Terror, and it really turned me on to the genre, and I’m craving it in book form. If it/any includes sci-if elements — that would be a major plus! Any recommendations?

Europe in Autumn by Dave Hutchinson is fun

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Those both sound great, thanks!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

not sure if it constitutes historical fiction, but Land of green plums by Herta Mller,

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I forgot to check in on Larry Correia after the election and I am pleased that hes extremely unhappy and cant handle even talking about politics on his lovely little blog. Nothing makes me happier.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shammypants posted:

I forgot to check in on Larry Correia after the election and I am pleased that hes extremely unhappy and cant handle even talking about politics on his lovely little blog. Nothing makes me happier.

lmao

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm about to start reading Dune, having never read anything in the series. Would people be interested in a LR thread of it or has that been done to death?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Karma Comedian posted:

I'm about to start reading Dune, having never read anything in the series. Would people be interested in a LR thread of it or has that been done to death?

:justpost:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Karma Comedian posted:

I read Dune while consuming way too many psychedelic drugs as a stupid 20something and found it so deep man so I'd love a sober read-through :v:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Double-posting but eh

Anyone read Hari Kunzru's Red Pill? I got recommended his books through the algorithm, and can't tell if it would be cringe zeitgeist riding, or if it would be transformative and Pynchon-esque.

quote:

After receiving a prestigious writing fellowship in Germany, the narrator of Red Pill arrives in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee and struggles to accomplish anything at all. Instead of working on the book he has proposed to write, he takes long walks and binge-watches Blue Lives--a violent cop show that becomes weirdly compelling in its bleak, Darwinian view of life--and soon begins to wonder if his writing has any value at all.

Wannsee is a place full of ghosts: Across the lake, the narrator can see the villa where the Nazis planned the Final Solution, and in his walks he passes the grave of the Romantic writer Heinrich von Kleist, who killed himself after deciding that "no happiness was possible here on earth." When some friends drag him to a party where he meets Anton, the creator of Blue Lives, the narrator begins to believe that the two of them are involved in a cosmic battle, and that Anton is "red-pilling" his viewers--turning them toward an ugly, alt-rightish worldview--ultimately forcing the narrator to wonder if he is losing his mind.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just finished a novel by Gomez-Jurado and having read one by Zafón earlier, I gotta ask, are there any Spanish recent novels that don't have magical booksellers?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Uh, I would avoid Perez-Revertes Club Dumas then

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Uh, I would avoid Perez-Reverte’s Club Dumas then

Why, does it suck?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why, does it suck?

Its ok, but there are booksellers who might be magical

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got a free calendar from HPB with a reading log on it, I think next year I might actually use it. I have no loving clue how many books I read this year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've read 97 so far, not counting comics. A few of the books contained two or more novels but they still count as one on the list.

Probably not going to hit the 104 mark which was my goal (which should've been 106 as this year has 53 weeks) unless I binge some kiosk novels, but I'm not feeling it. It's just a number anyway.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I used to log the books I've read on Goodreads but honestly I think their Reading Challenge thing hurt my reading. I'm just way too prone to wanting to make a number like that go up, which meant I used to read faster than was really useful, and finishing bad/boring books on principle. Nowadays I keep track of the books I've read, and occasionally jot down a thought or two about them, but I get too hyperfocused on the number of books I've read in a year or handful of months or whatever if I'm not careful.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

Yeah it got to be a chore after 2 years so I stopped and now I have no idea what I've read or not

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I use it to track my reading still, and the challenge I normally underestimate so its not a thing that nags at me

Seeing books other goons are reading helps to find interesting options as well

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a 2021 read thread could be fun, where people post the books they've read and little reviews of them

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I lurk normally, but I picked up a used copy of Europe in Winter from a recommendation earlier. Weirdly it reminds me of China Mieville's writing, in just how they set the world. Only about 80 pages in so far, though. I use Goodreads to track books I want to get, when the 'to read' pile gets low, as well as what I have actually read.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I've got a troubleshooting question re: my Kindle Paperwhite, am I better off posting it here or in Inspect Your Gadgets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Xenomrph posted:

If I've got a troubleshooting question re: my Kindle Paperwhite, am I better off posting it here or in Inspect Your Gadgets?

What's going on with it? Kindles are pretty isolated tech wise unless you jailbroke it, your best bets are other people with Kindles who might have experienced it. There is an e-reader thread there but you're as likely to find an answer there as here.

I would just cross post it, personally.