Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I was surprised that the reading guide at the end of each issue indicated that the event was ending in December after KiB 2 but it turns out they just didn't include January, February, or...possibly later, I don't know.

More likely they had no idea if the book was getting pushed back or delayed by the pandemic. A bunch of upcoming Hulk issues have been shunted back a month or so, and TNC's Black Panther run had it's ending pushed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RBX posted:

Do people not like this Nick Spencer Spidey run? Just finished vol 4 of the TPB and I'm loving it.

I've been liking it. But yeah, a lot of people's complaints have been that it's too decompressed, especially with the main Kindred story arc.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Question: When Gambit uses his powers to 'charge' an object, like a playing card, does it become heavier?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red posted:

Question: When Gambit uses his powers to 'charge' an object, like a playing card, does it become heavier?

No.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He's just read all of Ricky Jay's books a bunch of times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's just read all of Ricky Jay's books a bunch of times.

Cards as Weapons is long out of print and costs $200 on Amazon, though Gambit could have bought a first edition at an airport probably when he first appeared.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

Cards as Weapons is long out of print and costs $200 on Amazon, though Gambit could have bought a first edition at an airport probably when he first appeared.

Gambit would have shoplifted it, mon ami.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Gambit would have shoplifted it, mon ami.

Yeah, I should have said "picked up" instead of bought.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

RBX posted:

Do people not like this Nick Spencer Spidey run? Just finished vol 4 of the TPB and I'm loving it.

I find the entire thing ridiculously disposable. All the big moments seem ludicrous to me, and Spidey is so often written to be stupid to make Kindred work at all that it takes me right out of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nick Spencer is easily one of my least favorite writers currently working in comics so I can only interpret him directly following Slott's endless tenure on my favorite character's flagship book as a direct attack on me from Marvel.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Question IRL posted:

I can't believe that there is this much debate about Spider-Man: Reign of all things.

It was a book that was written by someone after they read The Dark Knight Returns and said "I want to do that, but with Spider-Man."

It's not awful, but it's a story that isn't good enough to rise above what it is copying.

It's like arguing over the artistic merits of A Scary Movie.

Grim and dark is also not a mode in which Spider-Man works very well, outside of the first few late-80s/early-90s DeMatteis plots

RBX posted:

I like it, but I also generally liked Slott's run so ignore me as necessary

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RBX posted:

Listen, Spencer (and Ottley especially) has given us the best Spidey since his 90s peak.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok I'm on Vol 10 now. IDK what issue. But man it IS dragging. Kindred is a power ranger level villian right now. Just "hehehe I will get you" in the shadows over and over. I suppose when he finally does something it'll be fine but jeez way to drag this for reasons....???

JJ is really cool. Spidey is a little too Deadpool like at times. The Absolute Carnage vol was the most useless thing i've ever read. What the gently caress was that? I had no idea what the hell was going on and I'm usually not the guy that has trouble understanding stuff. Like Nilbop said alot of this is... disposable. Which is fine but I've been reading a lot of Batman at the same time which makes some faults stand out.

I like the other villains. Just wish they could do more. Hunted was REALLY good. Boomerang isn't annoying either, he's great! I grew up during the clone saga and the animated show period and that's the Peter I love and nothing has really come close since. Blue was really good. Might be my fave Spidey thing so far since I came back. I stopped reading a bit after Spider-Girl first started back in the day (I might still have #0 and #1 somewhere....) So...where should I go next? Spider Geddon? Spider Verse and it's horrible layout in the HC and TPB?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Superior Spider-Man is probably one of my favorite comic runs ever, so I definitely recommend that.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

if you like Spencer and Boomerang you really oughta read Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RBX posted:

Ok I'm on Vol 10 now. IDK what issue. But man it IS dragging. Kindred is a power ranger level villian right now. Just "hehehe I will get you" in the shadows over and over. I suppose when he finally does something it'll be fine but jeez way to drag this for reasons....???

JJ is really cool. Spidey is a little too Deadpool like at times. The Absolute Carnage vol was the most useless thing i've ever read. What the gently caress was that? I had no idea what the hell was going on and I'm usually not the guy that has trouble understanding stuff. Like Nilbop said alot of this is... disposable. Which is fine but I've been reading a lot of Batman at the same time which makes some faults stand out.

I like the other villains. Just wish they could do more. Hunted was REALLY good. Boomerang isn't annoying either, he's great! I grew up during the clone saga and the animated show period and that's the Peter I love and nothing has really come close since. Blue was really good. Might be my fave Spidey thing so far since I came back. I stopped reading a bit after Spider-Girl first started back in the day (I might still have #0 and #1 somewhere....) So...where should I go next? Spider Geddon? Spider Verse and it's horrible layout in the HC and TPB?
If you liked Spider-Girl, I have to recommend the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows book by Conway & Houser (skip the Secret Wars mini, it's basically worthless).

Also if you liked Spider-Girl, stay far away from Spider-Verse unless you want to get real mad.

If you haven't already read it, the JMS run is also really good (and is referenced quite a bit in the current arc of Spencer's ASM). Maybe skip over Sins Past & The Other, though, they're not really necessary and both pretty bad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you liked Spider-Girl, I have to recommend the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows book by Conway & Houser (skip the Secret Wars mini, it's basically worthless).

Well it's kinda necessary to know where Peter gets the tech to share his powers with MJ.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TwoPair posted:

Well it's kinda necessary to know where Peter gets the tech to share his powers with MJ.

Radioactive sperm?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Superior Spider-Man is probably one of my favorite comic runs ever, so I definitely recommend that.

How did I forget that. I started it on Marvel Unlimited. Thanks.

Karma Tornado posted:

if you like Spencer and Boomerang you really oughta read Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Yes that's been on the list. Rally should've got the Omni before it got sold out.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also if you liked Spider-Girl, stay far away from Spider-Verse unless you want to get real mad.

If you haven't already read it, the JMS run is also really good (and is referenced quite a bit in the current arc of Spencer's ASM). Maybe skip over Sins Past & The Other, though, they're not really necessary and both pretty bad.

I did really like her (Partly because that costume had always been my favorite ever). But I liked it overall. I'm one of those people that like to read physical books of I can so the only thing holding me back is money. It's a pain cross referencing what's collected in what and constantly seeing ' Out of Print' or ' $250+' for Omnis is annoying but it's my own fault I guess. Collecting X-men is the worst for this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Not really. You just need to know that a guy called Regent used power-stealing tech, Spidey beat him up, and then reverse-engineered it to share his powers with MJ. There, done. It's about as deep a characterisation he got in that mini.

RBX posted:

I did really like her (Partly because that costume had always been my favorite ever). But I liked it overall. I'm one of those people that like to read physical books of I can so the only thing holding me back is money. It's a pain cross referencing what's collected in what and constantly seeing ' Out of Print' or ' $250+' for Omnis is annoying but it's my own fault I guess. Collecting X-men is the worst for this.
All of Spider-Girl's on Unlimited now, if you want to revisit it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't Regent show up for a hot minute in Avengers and was basically a complete void of personality?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Regent show up for a hot minute in Avengers and was basically a complete void of personality?

It was an arc in the post Secret Wars Spider-Man, but the Avengers do show up to get captured by Regent. It does have MJ putting on the Iron Spider armor to save the day.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

So weird to see Jason Aaron double dipping in the Namor has the Phoenix Powers a second time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

He was just staying on brand.

howe_sam posted:

It was an arc in the post Secret Wars Spider-Man, but the Avengers do show up to get captured by Regent. It does have MJ putting on the Iron Spider armor to save the day.
Also Peter, MJ & Regent have a weird flash of recognition despite the fact the versions who showed up in the Secret Wars mini were explicitly not the 616 versions. Because...reasons?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

He was just staying on brand.

Also Peter, MJ & Regent have a weird flash of recognition despite the fact the versions who showed up in the Secret Wars mini were explicitly not the 616 versions. Because...reasons?

The rumor was the alt version of MJ was going to land in 616 so they might have been alluding to that plan.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

This costume looks super familiar but I cannot place it...

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan/status/1344003591233802240

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

The rumor was the alt version of MJ was going to land in 616 so they might have been alluding to that plan.
Wait, what? How was that supposed to work? She had a husband & daughter!

blast0rama posted:

Vaguely reminds me of the Big Time suit with its Tron Lines, but that was single-colour.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

blast0rama posted:

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

That plus the superior ock suit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I do like the eyes but the rest of that thing is hideous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Looks like a mid-season Kamen Rider power up.

Rhyno posted:

They keep flirting with the idea of giving her powers and then chickening out.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

blast0rama posted:

It's reminding me of Deadpool's Uncanny X-Force white suit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, what? How was that supposed to work? She had a husband & daughter!

It was something they dropped at a retailer summit, Alt MJ and May were going to bounce over to 616 and Peter was going to have clashing sets of memories like he had post HoM for like, half an issue. So he'd be torn between the MJs and yeah, drama.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't they end up shoving Anime into some limbo so she never will get to do anything besides show up in spider verse

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but this was right when SW had wrapped up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

site posted:

Didn't they end up shoving Anime into some limbo so she never will get to do anything besides show up in spider verse

As best I can recall at the end of Spider-Geddon she went home with her mom and dad, but the web of life was destroyed so the only Spider-person who can currently bop around dimensions is Gwen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought she was like The One now and is remaking the web. Maybe I'm behind or just totally memory holed some story lol

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I went back and skimmed the issue, and it's a little vague. It doesn't have her explicitly on Loomworld stitching the web back together, but she does say she is the Patternmaker and somebody has to remake the Web so it's a pretty easy inference. The main point of the scene was to tease the resurrection of Mayday's dad, so there's easily room to do whatever they want with Anime in the future.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
are people typing anime on purpose or is it autocorrect I can't tell anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
On purpose because her name is annie-may