Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1344023347244498945?s=20

Get 'em Bernie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Just weirdly optimistic. To pin people not getting $2K checks on Democrats, you have to yammer on about Senate rules, or long-winded explanations about multi-topic bills, or whatever.

The battle lines are pretty clearly drawn here. Donnie wants $2K checks, Democratic House passed the $2K checks, everyone involved in the Georgia Senate races want checks. The only roadblock is "the Senate" which is all Mitch and the Republicans.

Even lovely Democrats can spin that message. Mitch has your money and could pass it today, but won't allow a clean vote. And per the above, it's why you won't get $2K. The end.

That said how many Dems actually hate 230, for other reasons?

I wonder if a weirdo situation where 230 gets
passed, but for totally different reasons, would be possible? I only say that because you can message that as opposed to voting for an election fraud commission.

That said no guarantee it would clear the house.

Still interesting that Mitch is only adding 230. I’m sure that won’t irritate Trump anymore.

Honestly I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that this is kind of darkly humorous in weird way.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 29, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

It works every loving time, I think he's high.

Just weirdly optimistic. To pin people not getting $2K checks on Democrats, you have to yammer on about Senate rules, or long-winded explanations about multi-topic bills, or whatever.

The battle lines are pretty clearly drawn here. Donnie wants $2K checks, Democratic House passed the $2K checks, everyone involved in the Georgia Senate races want checks (or more accurately, the Senate Republicans say they do). The only roadblock is "the Senate" which is all Mitch and the Republicans.

Even lovely Democrats can spin that message. Mitch has your money and could pass it today, but won't allow a clean vote. And per the above, it's why you won't get $2K. The end.

And you're not getting $2K. It's toast now.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 29, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly gently caress Google and Facebook. I honestly don’t care about them. Some of the worst scum I have ever dealt with.

And instead of normal Americans getting hosed over, large massive companies that are run by vampires...I’m okay with that. Section 230 only protects them. It doesn’t protect your abilities to do anything.

Really 230 allowed a lot of unchecked growth with Google, facebook, Twitter. that has caused more damage to American industries and civil society then one could have ever imagined back then. Just because big idiot wants a similar result, doesn’t mean that result might not be a bad thing, just his reasoning. I also expect courts to still allow for reasonable actions to prevent lawsuits, just not a shield.

Also Parlar getting sued for its users content would be hilarious.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah we're not getting privacy back so we could yell at dumb relatives in social media ever but we can't have a national ID system lmao

We need laws to stop Omni corps

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

didn't we used to have laws to break up corps that got to big?

was the failure to breakup MS what killed them?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RFC2324 posted:

Citizens United was the final nail I would say

brains
May 12, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly gently caress Google and Facebook. I honestly don’t care about them. Some of the worst scum I have ever dealt with.

And instead of normal Americans getting hosed over, large massive companies that are run by vampires...I’m okay with that. Section 230 only protects them. It doesn’t protect your abilities to do anything.

Really 230 allowed a lot of unchecked growth with Google, facebook, Twitter. that has caused more damage to American industries and civil society then one could have ever imagined back then. Just because big idiot wants a similar result, doesn’t mean that result might not be a bad thing, just his reasoning. I also expect courts to still allow for reasonable actions to prevent lawsuits, just not a shield.

Also Parlar getting sued for its users content would be hilarious.

my dude, you either have no idea how the internet works or don't understand what section 230 actually governs. repealing it would fundamentally break the internet (read: economy) due to incredible liability exposure. it's not just social media companies that would be affected, it's everything. trusting congress to "reasonably rewrite" the law is also a ridiculous folly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\/\/\ without 230 my plans to start up a small hosting company(a thing that really exists, and is a surprisingly easy business to start up) go away because there isn't a chance in hell I'm trusting the owners of the small businesses that are my clients to not upload questionable poo poo that 230 protects me from. like, every business that provides the infrastructure to the internet would immediately close their doors

Wasabi the J posted:

Citizens United was the final nail I would say

I'm actually surprised we haven't heard a legal argument equating breaking up companies with dismembering people yet, come to think of it

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 29, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

Actually the big decider is what happens to Facebook. That either closes the door for a long time or opens it all the way back open.

It helps that Facebook is a truly despised company, far far more then Microsoft ever was.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brains posted:

my dude, you either have no idea how the internet works or don't understand what section 230 actually governs. repealing it would fundamentally break the internet (read: economy) due to incredible liability exposure. it's not just social media companies that would be affected, it's everything. trusting congress to "reasonably rewrite" the law is also a ridiculous folly.

No, I do. I just don’t care anymore. That said not changing it means things continue down the path they are now, and honestly I think you could make an argument that a total legal shield was not the best idea. I refuse to believe the only two outcomes are corpo slavery or the new dark age DX ending.

There has to be a way, along with DMCA reform, lower the liability shield and not cripple everything.

Anyway in more good news.

https://twitter.com/govofco/status/1344031800230780933?s=21

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 29, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

There has to be a way, along with DMCA reform, lower the liability shield and not cripple everything.

I mean sure, you'd probably have to turn ISPs into a utility, reform IP/CW law with regards to the internet, and still probably give some liability protection to "cloud providers".

There are relatively easier and less liable to actually hurt people who use the internet to accomplish what you want, which I'm supposing is to punish FAANGs for all their lovely decisions.

brains
May 12, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

No, I do. I just don’t care anymore. That said not changing it means things continue down the path they are now, and honestly I think you could make an argument that a total legal shield was not the best idea. I refuse to believe the only two outcomes are corpo slavery or the new dark age DX ending.

i think you are confusing antitrust laws (good) with repealing section 230 protections (bad). they are most definitely not the same.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean sure, you'd probably have to turn ISPs into a utility, reform IP/CW law with regards to the internet, and still probably give some liability protection to "cloud providers".

There are relatively easier and less liable to actually hurt people who use the internet to accomplish what you want, which I'm supposing is to punish FAANGs for all their lovely decisions.

Honestly the best thing is to break them all up, make mergers to reBell impossible and prevent them from lording over tech and other policy areas. I can tell you know if you don’t think they’ll fight tooth and nail over small and incremental changes then you’d be mistaken.

Perhaps the best thing is just anti trust the hell out of all of them. Like a massive tech and social media industry restructuring.

It’s not even that I hate tech or large companies, I just feel these ones have obtained power and control unrivaled in recent or the entirety of human history. It’s not so much people should be allowed have tech or fair use, it’s just it shouldn’t be the domain of one or two massive companies, but instead tons of other ones with steps to ensure they never can exert influence like Google, Twitter, Facebook, et al does today.

I will miss Amazon Prime being as insanely cool in terms of speed and stuff available though. :lol:

brains posted:

i think you are confusing antitrust laws (good) with repealing section 230 protections (bad). they are most definitely not the same.

It’s more about hitting them where it will hurt. At this moment 230 is a more viable option and if it’s holding back money, it’s hard to be sympathetic to FAANG’s.

Honestly one option is an earnings ceiling for the shield to phase out. You could still protect small companies (or even medium to some large) and individuals and make the massive ones have to actually not just hand wave responsibility. I mean if you run some massive obscenely huge monopoly maybe you should also be able to managed what people use your poo poo for.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 29, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Anyway in more good news.

https://twitter.com/govofco/status/1344031800230780933?s=21

Surely this will be contained as well as we've contained every other variant

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo, even the Bell System breakup didn't work out quite right in the long run. Four of the seven Regional Bell Operating Companies that came out of that and the non-local exchange carrier AT&T corporate assets (Western Electric, Bell Labs, etc.) are, as of right now, one company called AT&T again. Lumen/CenturyLink owns the remnants of US West, and Verizon is the result of NYNEX being folded into Bell Atlantic and then them buying GTE (one of AT&Ts only major competitors during the Bell System era).

I don't know if there's any law that would outright prohibit a merger of all three of those companies back into one big AT&T. I suppose the courts could seek to block it and probably would end up doing so because that'd obviously be a flagrant violation of the spirit of the divestiture agreement if not the letter of it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I will miss Amazon Prime being as insanely cool in terms of speed and stuff available though. :lol:

Etsy my man. You may not have the speed, but you can get all the same poo poo as on amazon, but you have the option of sparkles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo, even the Bell System breakup didn't work out quite right in the long run. Four of the seven Regional Bell Operating Companies that came out of that and the non-local exchange carrier AT&T corporate assets (Western Electric, Bell Labs, etc.) are, as of right now, one company called AT&T again. Lumen/CenturyLink owns the remnants of US West, and Verizon is the result of NYNEX being folded into Bell Atlantic and then them buying GTE (one of AT&Ts only major competitors during the Bell System era).

I don't know if there's any law that would outright prohibit a merger of all three of those companies back into one big AT&T. I suppose the courts could seek to block it and probably would end up doing so because that'd obviously be a flagrant violation of the spirit of the divestiture agreement if not the letter of it.

Wait a couple more decades for anyone who still remembers Ma Bell to leave government and they'll absolutely try it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RFC2324 posted:

Etsy my man. You may not have the speed, but you can get all the same poo poo as on amazon, but you have the option of sparkles.

I’m a speed person, but Etsy is good for when you want infringing fan art or Doom Slayer outfits. Once you get hooked on same or next day prime, it’s hard to imagine anything else.

That said it’s funny back in 2012 I had a huge issue with a gift I got for my sister and I actually wound up getting the issue resolved by their CFO. Not even a decade later, but I couldn’t imagine it happening now.

Also is it me or have we not had any crazy pardons and commuting of sentences in the last few days?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 29, 2020

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m a speed person, but Etsy is good for when you want infringing fan art or Doom Slayer outfits. Once you get hooked on same or next day prime, it’s hard to imagine anything else.

That said it’s funny back in 2012 I had a huge issue with a gift I got for my sister and I actually wound up getting the issue resolved by their CFO. Not even a decade later, but I couldn’t imagine it happening now.

My dude there are people alive who literally yelled at Jeff Bezos over the phone when he hosed up their book order

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Antitrust laws can prevent company mergers and acquisitions, If said merger would result in certain Undesirable market conditions. These kind of cases are where some very creative framing and analysis are used by big companies to claim that they don't actually compete in "x" market against whichever company they want to acquire, but actually compete in "y" marketplace against some other major players.

This is how Apple, Amazon, facebook, and microsoft can all claim to "compete" against one another, even though they all essentially have monopolies in a specific sector of the tech economy ( or more than one) The state of antitrust regulation is essentially the result of regulatory insiders and big tech money tag teaming the government in court.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 29, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Surely this will be contained as well as we've contained every other variant

It’s already been spreading uncontrolled for three months so that cat is completely out of the bag.

Definitely be sure to call it the anglovirus though

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

My dude there are people alive who literally yelled at Jeff Bezos over the phone when he hosed up their book order

Hahah I haven’t even thought of that. That’s kind of amazing to think of occurring. I forgot pre Amazon the website now as it was when it started out (which I’ve seen screenshots of and how web 0.5 it was).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Grip it and rip it posted:

Antitrust laws can prevent company mergers and acquisitions, If said merger would result in certain Undesirable market conditions. These kind of cases are where some very creative framing and analysis are used by big companies to claim that they don't actually compete in "x" market against whichever company they want to acquire, but actually compete in "y" marketplace against some other major players.

This is how Apple, Amazon, facebook, and microsoft can all claim to "compete" against one another, even though they all essentially have monopolies in a specific sector of the tech economy ( or more than one) The state of antitrust regulation is essentially the result of regulatory insiders and big tech money tag teaming the government in court.

and yet Comcast/NBC Universal exists despite everyone not getting their palms greased, opposing it?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeaborneClink posted:

and yet Comcast/NBC Universal exists despite everyone not getting their palms greased, opposing it?

They’re poo poo dates back to cable deregulation and ownership limits iirc. The whole we can sell bundles stuff. I mean I’m sure it dates back before them but if I remember correctly that’s one of the bigger catalyst points, along with the CDA.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

SeaborneClink posted:

This is due to weak/reluctant regulators and supposedly divesting certain assets to ensure competitive markets. Also, if each singular interaction is stripped of context it can be hard to object to what is just natural from a business perspective. In reality they have created monopolies in all but name. Antitrust and legislation has not kept pace with change in the last 20 years and badly needs to adjust to the 21st century.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMiOMNIRs3k

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol’Chaim

https://www.businessinsider.com/massachusetts-gop-leader-covid-19-white-house-hanukkah-event-2020-12

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SeaborneClink posted:

It's a lovely system we have built for ourselves. It always struck me as an area of the law where the whole-hearted acceptance of a certain school of economic thought has allowed regulators to essentially blow off their entire purpose.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Hotel Harrington, an iconic low-cost tourist hotel in downtown DC a few blocks from the White House, and the adjacent Harry’s Bar, a bar popular with chuds (and unpopular with their black and brown staff who had to wait on them) which served as the Proud Boy’s Secret Clubhouse will be closed for Trump’s last stand and now the chuds are PISSED.

https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/1343752428609556483

You love to see it! :sad:

From pages back and I apologize but my school teacher dad used to take his 9th grade civics class from Michigan to D.C. and would stay there. They'd tour museums and visit the capitol building and bother whatever Michigan congress-person that happened to be around at the time. They'd also truck out to Arlington to see the tomb of the unknown soldier and watch the changing of the guard. I got to go a couple times back in the eighties and have fond memories of staying there.

Huge gently caress you to the loving chuds that ended up infesting the place. You ruin everything and I hope you die bitter and alone

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Repealing 230 entirely would be the death of the internet. Platforms need better (or really, any) moderation, but making hosts liable for things posted is not the way to do it.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I mean honestly, sure. We're down to four websites and they're all bad. Let's get back into reading novels, watching movies, and writing newsletters that are read only by the FBI.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I will use my $2000 to onboard to the 8 internet subscriptions I will interface the net with. I will also use it to upgrade to a Biden phone with the state approved firmware for contact tracing and extended battery life that is dedicated to keeping the microphone on at all times. I always keep my old phones so I will still post here on the underground net after we make Sealandia real. I would join you guys, but ya know, wife, kid, responsibilities.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
repealing 230 is better than what we're doing now

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

repealing 230 is better than what we're doing now

I don't see how.

FANGs and near fang people have the capital to hire lawyers, moderators, and infrastructure to have it be a non issue, Bigger ISP's are the same. So you've basically just increased the barrier to entry for starting an ISP or creating any sort of hosting competitors. Not saying giant tech companies aren't gonna fight it, because it will cut into their bottom line, but goog and facebook aren't gonna stop being number 1 in their field if you spite everyone equally.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 30, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/GIJoeyJoeJoe/status/1344115718774616065?s=20

I do enjoy the terrible takes with no insight or thought of like ~*~why are only Rs getting COVID~*~

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Speaking of such things.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1344022192753881088?s=21

I’m sure this will work just as well as 230 and the commission.

LOL

Explaining the dangers of 230 and election fuckery is one thing, but I think everyone can understand that “you boss can legally kill you and leave your family destitute” is bad.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

LOL

Explaining the dangers of 230 and election fuckery is one thing, but I think everyone can understand that “you boss can legally kill you and leave your family destitute” is bad.

They won't, and will breathlessly explain to you that anyone facing those consequences should have bootstrapped up and found another job. Like I'm not usually one for doomposts in this thread but this strikes me as way too optimistic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/GIJoeyJoeJoe/status/1344115718774616065?s=20

I do enjoy the terrible takes with no insight or thought of like ~*~why are only Rs getting COVID~*~

if he was congressman elect what happens there? do they do a special election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

if he was congressman elect what happens there? do they do a special election?

Just like everything else....
Varies by state