Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

dwarf74 posted:

Now my chud inlaws' oldest son has covid. They were planning a big family gathering this coming weekend.

Apparently their first hint was that he couldn't catch his breath at wrestling practice.

Why the gently caress is there wrestling practicle) .

Fuckin Indiana.

Same reason there's been football and basketball practices, games, etc. Sports rule schools in Indiana. Our last superintendent literally came to a faculty meeting, screamed at us about how she "didn't loving care about test scores", then after some of the redness drained from her face went on to explain how she'd just fired our football coach and hired a new one. Then, she went full galaxy brain on how he and his wonderful football program would solve the poverty issue in the area over a matter of a few years.

That's an extreme example, but friends/colleagues that I know around the state have similar "sports rule our school"-type stories. Even with coronavirus, this is the case. Most of the schools in my county along with surrounding counties have it in their Covid Back to School plan that students quarantine for 10 days unless you're an athlete, then you can return after 8 days with a negative test.

lol

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Even though this is the time of year I usually get a head cold there's a voice in the back of my mind saying it's covid.

You should focus on the symptoms; if you taste and smell just fine, aren't unusually tired, your oxygen sat. is normalish (around 95) and you do no have high fever which comes in and goes out on its own whims, you probably just got your Holiday-season throat infection/flu. They sell cheap ox. sat meters in pharmacies and places like Lidl for 20e and they do their job just fine. If that starts to fall below 90 regularly then go to the ER.

I mean, get tested ASAP if that is a possibility for you, but do not fall into despair before you actually have a reason to do so, because that just eats into your mental health. There still *is* the regular flu season going on at the same time and especially if you just took days off for Xmas or new years it might be stress loving with your body.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

They sell cheap ox. sat meters in pharmacies and places like Lidl for 20e and they do their job just fine. If that starts to fall below 90 regularly then go to the ER.

If your O2 level drops below 90 at all, immediately call 911 and go wait out front with your ID and then call your emergency contact to let them know what's going on. An ambulance is like $600 but you can just put it on a credit card, there are worse things to spend $600 on

I have a family member on oxygen and they get loopy and confused if their o2 gotta down to 90 for more than a few minutes

My wife's boss's mom tested positive, then went to Panera Bread (after knowing she tested positive! It was her birthday, or some bullshit excuse), and on returning to the car, while opening the door she passed out, collapsed next to the cat, and died before they got her to the hospital

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

slinkimalinki posted:

Do you know which bit of Asia? I'm being nosy cos a lot of bits of Asia wouldn't allow random foreigners in right now. So my mind is kind of blown that some places would be like "yeah, gently caress it, come over".

South Korea is letting some people in, but you get locked in a small hotel room for two weeks on arrival.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Same reason there's been football and basketball practices, games, etc. Sports rule schools in Indiana. Our last superintendent literally came to a faculty meeting, screamed at us about how she "didn't loving care about test scores", then after some of the redness drained from her face went on to explain how she'd just fired our football coach and hired a new one. Then, she went full galaxy brain on how he and his wonderful football program would solve the poverty issue in the area over a matter of a few years.

That's an extreme example, but friends/colleagues that I know around the state have similar "sports rule our school"-type stories. Even with coronavirus, this is the case. Most of the schools in my county along with surrounding counties have it in their Covid Back to School plan that students quarantine for 10 days unless you're an athlete, then you can return after 8 days with a negative test.

lol

Yikes you aren’t kidding. Some cousins whose family emphasized high school was for football have taken a distressing path. Neither were close to making a go of it in college but one still struggles with obesity after being pushed to gain weight as that’s what linemen do, and when trying to play a game with the other found he is nearly illiterate. He somehow still got into a school this year, dunno what that application looked like.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yikes you aren’t kidding. Some cousins whose family emphasized high school was for football have taken a distressing path. Neither were close to making a go of it in college but one still struggles with obesity after being pushed to gain weight as that’s what linemen do, and when trying to play a game with the other found he is nearly illiterate. He somehow still got into a school this year, dunno what that application looked like.

the current thing in america is holding student athletes back in school so they'll be older and thus stronger/taller/faster than their classmates when it comes to standing out on the court or field

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hadlock posted:

If your O2 level drops below 90 at all, immediately call 911 and go wait out front with your ID and then call your emergency contact to let them know what's going on. An ambulance is like $600 but you can just put it on a credit card, there are worse things to spend $600 on.

Yeah, this is better advise. If the trends starts to go down from around 95 seek immediate help.

If you cannot afford anything else, then at least get the pharmacy ox.sat. tool because that more or less tells you if its upper respiratory infection or flu, or something that needs immediate attention because it is doing something to your lungs. And on all cases, if it seems major, seek help immediately.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mithaldu posted:

my dad got cancer and was off work for a year (maybe even half a year more, memory is dim), while remaining employed, continuing to be paid, and having income-based state health insurance cover all medical costs. due to privacy laws his employer never learned what he had and was legally barred from even asking. when my dad was fully recovered and healed from the operation and treatments he returned to work, worked 2 months, reached pension age and went into retirement with the state paying him a pension and his health insurance also being covered by the state

us workers really need to start doing that collective action thing in order to transform the usa away from being a third world hellhole

That'd be like communism, you commie bastard. Why does your country hate freedom so much?

:911::911::911::911:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I consider most of my close friends to be smart. Or at least above average intelligence. I think one of them has not done something colossally stupid this year related to Covid? Out of about a dozen people. 1.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

LionArcher posted:

I consider most of my close friends to be smart. Or at least above average intelligence. I think one of them has not done something colossally stupid this year related to Covid? Out of about a dozen people. 1.
Smart people are often pretty good at convincing themselves that they're too smart to screw up or be fooled/conned/etc., when of course no one is.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is such a thing as domain-nonspecific stupidity but there is no such thing as domain-nonspecific intelligence. maybe just being intelligent in multiple domains

0 of my doctor buddies handled it stupidly, lots of my computertouching buddies have handled it stupidly tho

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The_Franz posted:

the current thing in america is holding student athletes back in school so they'll be older and thus stronger/taller/faster than their classmates when it comes to standing out on the court or field

Hah.
My oldest was just baaaarely on the cusp of being too young when he started kindergarten (his 5th birthday was a couple days past the cutoff). We, being caring parents, wanted to check what the experts say about kids starting school earlier or later. The consensus among actual experts seemed to be "either way is fine, so long as they don't have any special circumstances".
95% of the internet discussion results were SPORTS DADS saying hold 'em back, lest they not be big enough to give and receive several concussions before leaving high school.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Tons of high school basketball players take summer or winter classes to "reclassify" to graduate in say 2021 instead of 2022 so they can go to college for a year and get to the NBA a year sooner.

Also, the UK variant has been confirmed in Colorado in a person who hadn't traveled.

quote:

Colorado’s state lab confirmed the presence of the strain in an Elbert County man in his 20s. The person is isolating and will remain so until public health officials clear him. He has no history of traveling, according to the news release.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/29/new-covid-19-variant-colorado/

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there any decent data about this new variant yet? The papers over here are going nuts saying it spreads 10x more efficiently and that we’re going into full lockdown. And even that won’t get the R number below 1. loving nightmare.

Also, not sure if this is a dumb question. Does the new one look exactly the same under a microscope? Wee sphere with triangles?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
normal electron microscope basically yes. turbo high power electron microscope no. basically your microscope would have to be able to look at individual nucleic acids in the spike protein (the crowns), which only some electron microscopes can do

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 29, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, this is better advise. If the trends starts to go down from around 95 seek immediate help.

If you cannot afford anything else, then at least get the pharmacy ox.sat. tool because that more or less tells you if its upper respiratory infection or flu, or something that needs immediate attention because it is doing something to your lungs. And on all cases, if it seems major, seek help immediately.

Yeah, otherwise fit and healthy people will be fine at 90-95%, but that's if it's caused by being at altitude or extremely vigorous exercise. If your sat drops below 95% if you're just sitting around, or on mild exertion, and you're not currently at the top of a mountain, get medical help *immediately* even if you feel fine. Even though that saturation is perfectly survivable, whatever's causing it to drop that low definitely loving isn't.

(for most healthy people the impulse to breathe comes from the amount of CO2 in the blood, not the amount of oxygen - that's why altitude sickness and inert gas atmospheres can be so dangerous, because you can still get the CO2 out, so your first symptom will be the dizziness/drunk feeling of hypoxia as you drop below 85ish, by which point your brain and organs are already sustaining damage - and by then you could be far enough out of it not to be able to correct the problem)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, otherwise fit and healthy people will be fine at 90-95%, but that's if it's caused by being at altitude or extremely vigorous exercise. If your sat drops below 95% if you're just sitting around, or on mild exertion, and you're not currently at the top of a mountain, get medical help *immediately* even if you feel fine. Even though that saturation is perfectly survivable, whatever's causing it to drop that low definitely loving isn't.

(for most healthy people the impulse to breathe comes from the amount of CO2 in the blood, not the amount of oxygen - that's why altitude sickness and inert gas atmospheres can be so dangerous, because you can still get the CO2 out, so your first symptom will be the dizziness/drunk feeling of hypoxia as you drop below 85ish, by which point your brain and organs are already sustaining damage - and by then you could be far enough out of it not to be able to correct the problem)

I think we should acknowledge that if your home oxymeter is showing <95%, there's a good chance that it's defective or you're using it wrong. Many oxymeters are particularly unreliable for people with darker skin. If you're planning to use a pulse oxymeter in case you get covid, definitely do some trial runs to see what values you get when you're healthy.

That said, you should probably err on the side of talking to a doctor if the pulse oxymeter shows worrying values.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is such a thing as domain-nonspecific stupidity but there is no such thing as domain-nonspecific intelligence. maybe just being intelligent in multiple domains

0 of my doctor buddies handled it stupidly, lots of my computertouching buddies have handled it stupidly tho
Yeah, yesterday I learned that Chris Langan, a man whose supposed 200+ IQ led to a profile in Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers," is a 9/11 Truther, believer in white genocide, and is opposed to interracial relationships.

Supposedly he actually is really really intelligent, but just lol. Analytical intelligence is just one kind of smarts and can be used to justify any bullshit you want with fancy arguments. No one is immune to being insanely dumb.

Bape Culture posted:

Also, not sure if this is a dumb question. Does the new one look exactly the same under a microscope? Wee sphere with triangles?
One question here is whether the protein would look the same under a microscope as it does in the body. The body is a very different environment than the inside of a microscope, and environment greatly affects a protein's shape.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah they're white, they'll get a ride home on a comfy plane. ;)

We've actually been using Christmas Island quite a bit in recent years as a holding zone for deporting Brits and Kiwis who've lived here since they were little kids, never got citizenship, but were then convicted of a crime. Of all the countries to embrace the 18th century attitude that criminals cannot be reformed, only exiled...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Now my wife's extremist brother - his dad - is confirmed to have it took.

I'm gonna wager they have been very poo poo about social distancing and probably did stupid crap over the holiday.

I don't wish them death or severe disease but I'm extremely sure they're going to come out of it yelping about how "gosh it's not so bad!"

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
COVID-19 'ate her through,' say parents of 18-year-old killed within days of contracting virus

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My mom was a nurse at a hospital for 20 years. Got time off for a CABG, everything cleared with HR and good to go. She was required to get a covid test done before returning to work. She flagged positive (no symptoms) and due to the contract wording they were no longer legally obligated to hold her job for her. So she lost the job without a formal termination, just being told by HR that her position had been filled. She had a second test, and it came back negative.

She refused to go to the media, fearing she wouldnt make enough money to reach retirement. Instead she accepted a position at the same hospital for a 33% pay cut on a different floor.

US for profit healthcare stinks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

oh for sure. I have one nurse friend who's generally been awesome but everything but then just had to go to Lake Tahoe this weekend for a "girl's weekend" at a cabin because it was her best friend's birthday and they just had to celebrate. They all took covid tests before they drove up (5 of them) but still...

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

Wife and I just tested positive for covid yesterday after coming down with some symptoms yesterday morning. Have not been with any friends, family, etc since March and stay masked/social distance outside of the house for things like groceries or food pickup. We are 99% sure we got it from the movers we hired last week who were likely asymptomatic and had it spread via surface because we stayed away from them in general. Very frustrating after trying to 'do the right thing' for so long but go figure the first people to touch our stuff (which was also a 6.5 hour move for 4 pro movers) gets us covid.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

it's in the loving blood

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Xesis posted:

Wife and I just tested positive for covid yesterday after coming down with some symptoms yesterday morning. Have not been with any friends, family, etc since March and stay masked/social distance outside of the house for things like groceries or food pickup. We are 99% sure we got it from the movers we hired last week who were likely asymptomatic and had it spread via surface because we stayed away from them in general. Very frustrating after trying to 'do the right thing' for so long but go figure the first people to touch our stuff (which was also a 6.5 hour move for 4 pro movers) gets us covid.

That's a bit of an assumption. If you go shopping you could of got it from anyone right? From my understanding it stays in the air for awhile in water droplets and masks don't protect you from that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

That's a bit of an assumption. If you go shopping you could of got it from anyone right? From my understanding it stays in the air for awhile in water droplets and masks don't protect you from that.

correction:

cloth masks have only very low filtration against that and no seal
n95 masks have pretty good filtration but tend to have mediocre seal
respirators have pretty good filtration and seal

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yeah, I'm not trying to disparage masks but I assume they're just wearing cloth ones. Which are obviously great for stopping you from spreading it around but less good for protecting you from someone with covid with their mask down chatting loudly in the supermarket.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

yeah, that makes sense

Xesis posted:

trying to 'do the right thing'
i also keep seeing people say this, but when they describe what the right thing is, it turns out they're at best making mediocre efforts and not even landing in the ballpark of "right", and i really wonder how this happens

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
You know I tried to buy a respirator and I wasn't able to get one, here in the US like it was McMaster Carr and the next day I got an email from them saying sorry we can't sell to you I'm just a regular Joe schmoe I think it's actually tricky to get a actual respirator like a half face one in the US.
If I'm wrong will you please let me know specifically what I can get?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You can order them on amazon.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they hve been fully stocked on amazon since literally before the pandemic. no supply interruptions, unlike n95s

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a big manual that 99% of it you dont need to give a poo poo about cuz youre not painting or whatever but do a fit test, read the bit about sterilizing it and make sure its the valveless ones unless you wanna get your germs onto other peeps

the sales peeps wont talk to you cuz their business model cant justify salespeeps pay until the deals are at least like 2-5k each on average, which is why you need to go to an alienated retail dealio like amazon

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Also not sure why mcmaster wouldn't sell to you, they don't have minimum orders and they have an app for quickly browsing their catalogue, not exactly an exclusive seller.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Spinz posted:

You know I tried to buy a respirator and I wasn't able to get one, here in the US like it was McMaster Carr and the next day I got an email from them saying sorry we can't sell to you I'm just a regular Joe schmoe I think it's actually tricky to get a actual respirator like a half face one in the US.
If I'm wrong will you please let me know specifically what I can get?

Hullo Spinz!

The first post in the C-SPAM covid thread has some mask info https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175

Lots of people have bought masks of various types and have thoughts on sizing and fitment - I'd encourage you to post over there, and get a mask that you can trust and be safe.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Blitter posted:

Hullo Spinz!

The first post in the C-SPAM covid thread has some mask info https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175

Lots of people have bought masks of various types and have thoughts on sizing and fitment - I'd encourage you to post over there, and get a mask that you can trust and be safe.

Thank you I will study it and read etc thank you very much

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Mithaldu posted:

i also keep seeing people say this, but when they describe what the right thing is, it turns out they're at best making mediocre efforts and not even landing in the ballpark of "right", and i really wonder how this happens

Yeah, and it's a weird way to think of it. I haven't stayed away from people and been wearing a mask religiously because I feel socially obligated to but because I don't loving want covid.

edit: I'm not accusing xesis of anything though. It sounds like they were actually doing pretty good.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 30, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got a respirator in the beginning and then a couple months ago I bought two more from Grainger with no problem

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok, I need y'all to tell me if my co-worker is crazy or not. According to him (and keep in mind this dude loves his conspiracy theories) having type-O blood is enough to mitigate any "high risk" factors someone would have towards Covid. I did some searching around online and it seems like having type-O blood will help reduce the risk of catching Covid (which, like, who even would have thought that that was a thing) but I'm not seeing anything about it making the symptoms any lesser.

Honestly, it all sounds like bullshit to me, but I have been wrong before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
slight benefit to hving a and b, slight detriment to having ab, not enough effect size to matter that much

its like 1% difference, they barely squeezed out a detectable effect after lookin at 14000 peeps