Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They try to do it in WW84 with stuff like "who is this mystery woman?" in the mall fight but yeah, it is pretty dumb. Also there isn't a good explanation as to the costume change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still think its just that the BvS intro of her was as someone who just did nothing for a 100 years was real dumb so they're just kind of dancing around it. Same as how the second Suicide Squad movie is a "reboot" even though it doesn't seem to reboot anything and carries over characters and stuff just like a sequel but they just don't want to talk about the first film.

The DCEU is very poorly thought out. Its like if the MCU started with the Ang Lee Hulk and then an Ang Lee Hulk vs Iron Man movie that intro'd Thor as a random guy no one heard of before but who had been around during a World War. And then James Gunn made a really bad Guardians of the Galaxy movie and then a real bad Avengers film where Cap, Vision, and Black Widow just kind of show up that Lee started but Joss Whedon finished and then Kenneth Branagh made a couple of Thor movies that kinda contradicted Lee's intro and Robert Downey Jr was in and out and in on an Iron Man film and David Ayer was making a Suicide Squad sequel he was calling a reboot because he didn't want to be associated with Gunn all while Ang Lee was remaking Avengers as a mini series as a rabid fanbase salivated.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 29, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Taking what works and dropping the rest, and not caring about how it affects anything or if it makes sense is pretty on brand for DC

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I still think its just that the BvS intro of her was as someone who just did nothing for a 100 years was real dumb so they're just kind of dancing around it. Same as how the second Suicide Squad movie is a "reboot" even though it doesn't seem to reboot anything and carries over characters and stuff just like a sequel but they just don't want to talk about the first film.

The DCEU is very poorly thought out. Its like if the MCU started with the Ang Lee Hulk and then an Ang Lee Hulk vs Iron Man movie that intro'd Thor as a random guy no one heard of before but who had been around during a World War. And then James Gunn made a really bad Guardians of the Galaxy movie and then a real bad Avengers film where Cap, Vision, and Black Widow just kind of show up that Lee started but Joss Whedon finished and then Kenneth Branagh made a couple of Thor movies that kinda contradicted Lee's intro and Robert Downey Jr was in and out and in on an Iron Man film and David Ayer was making a Suicide Squad sequel he was calling a reboot because he didn't want to be associated with Gunn all while Ang Lee was remaking Avengers as a mini series as a rabid fanbase salivated.

Or it's like if the MCU did Thanos inconsistently in every single appearance.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The real, massive, actually ruinous problem with WW1 is that in its desperation to be Not Captain America Again they set the movie in world war one instead of two but just end up making the German Army into nazis anyways. It really undercuts the movie trying to have a theme of “all sides are bad” when the Germans are the main and only antagonists until the final act of the film, when a terrible godawful fight scene occurs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Was it bad? I don't have any nostalgia for Disney stuff, so I didn't pay any attention when it came out.

Lion King is literally so bad I walked out of the movie theater in the middle of watching it. Despite having not paid a cent to go see it. At FREE, the movie cost too much to watch.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 29, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The CGI Lion King movie essentially completely removed the best Disney villain song ever.

That's all you need to know about how empty and soulless it is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

The CGI Lion King movie essentially completely removed the best Disney villain song ever.

Hellfire wasn't a Lion King song.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Germans as a whole in Wonder Woman aren't Nazis. First off not a single character in the movie holds that ideology. Second, it's just like red skull in cap 1 where the villain is explicitly leading a splinter cell. His motivation is that he still thinks Germany can win, which was not just a Hitler thing but a widely held belief among both the German command in WW1 and the general population. It's why Hitler was able to use that to get into power. The villains in the movie are very much WW1 based in every respect.

The fact that so many people continue to miss this despite the fact that it's said the first time he shows up, explained a second time when Steve and Diana get to England, and then they literally show him killing several of his superior officers really makes me lose faith in people's ability to just pay attention to a drat movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hard to fault someone for not paying attention during the ww movies

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Hard to fault someone for not paying attention during the ww movies

This is a fair point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Germans as a whole in Wonder Woman aren't Nazis. First off not a single character in the movie holds that ideology. Second, it's just like red skull in cap 1 where the villain is explicitly leading a splinter cell. His motivation is that he still thinks Germany can win, which was not just a Hitler thing but a widely held belief among both the German command in WW1 and the general population. It's why Hitler was able to use that to get into power. The villains in the movie are very much WW1 based in every respect.

The fact that so many people continue to miss this despite the fact that it's said the first time he shows up, explained a second time when Steve and Diana get to England, and then they literally show him killing several of his superior officers really makes me lose faith in people's ability to just pay attention to a drat movie.

You're taking the point excessively literally. The point being made is more that the german side is cartoonishly evil (and the allied side simplistically good). E.g. showing the Germans gassing a village for no real reason, and making the final plan attacking London. This is a problem in WW unlike in Captain America because WW is trying to make some point about *humanity* being messy, and depicting the conflict in black and white terms undermines that. The film is essentially no different to how it'd have been if it was set in WWII.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

You're taking the point excessively literally. The point being made is more that the german side is cartoonishly evil (and the allied side simplistically good). E.g. showing the Germans gassing a village for no real reason, and making the final plan attacking London. This is a problem in WW unlike in Captain America because WW is trying to make some point about *humanity* being messy, and depicting the conflict in black and white terms undermines that. The film is essentially no different to how it'd have been if it was set in WWII.

Except the message of the movie is that humanity is capable both of extreme evil, the general, and extreme good, Steve, and if both things are possible there's still hope for us. Again, they literally say this out loud in the movie, because Jenkins is neither deep nor subtle.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Germans as a whole in Wonder Woman aren't Nazis. First off not a single character in the movie holds that ideology. Second, it's just like red skull in cap 1 where the villain is explicitly leading a splinter cell. His motivation is that he still thinks Germany can win, which was not just a Hitler thing but a widely held belief among both the German command in WW1 and the general population.

The general population did not believe that in 1918: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_mutiny
A better movie would have included this if the point was to show that people are capable of being good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Germans as a whole in Wonder Woman aren't Nazis. First off not a single character in the movie holds that ideology. Second, it's just like red skull in cap 1 where the villain is explicitly leading a splinter cell.

Wellll, in the real world Ludendorff was an early member of the Nazi Party.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to be clear that I was an idiot for calling them Nazis.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My favorite one of those excessive vaporware DC movies is the one that's a horror spinoff based entirely around the monsters from one scene in Aquaman, which is apparently unlikely to have Aquaman in it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theironjef posted:

My favorite one of those excessive vaporware DC movies is the one that's a horror spinoff based entirely around the monsters from one scene in Aquaman, which is apparently unlikely to have Aquaman in it.
My favorite all-time comic book movie rumor was the ‘Sony wants an Aunt May movie’ thing that went around for awhile

I believe this was between ASM2 and Homecoming.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theironjef posted:

That’s some “Sony’s insane slate for spider man spinoff” level stuff.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Fangz posted:

Not really? The British leaders were portrayed as assholes and most of the German leaders wanted to negotiate peace. That’s why Ludendorff gassed them. The soldiers following him were said to be loyal to him specifically.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You could do Alien but on a boat with a couple of them sneaking on a cruise ship or something I guess but that's about the only way I can think of to go.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STAC Goat posted:

My impression is that they wanted to "reboot" it because the first was such a disaster and Idris Elba was cast as Deadshot to replace Will Smith but Margot Robbie and a bunch others got brought back. Then someone realized that was very stupid too so they made Elba someone else and now its a "soft reboot" which I guess just means they're gonna not directly reference the first one. But who cares unless you like bring Enchantress back or something? DCEU is so unnecessarily messy.

And the funny thing is, for a "disaster", domestically, Suicide Squad only made 5 million less than BvS.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Wellll, in the real world Ludendorff was an early member of the Nazi Party.

And he was expelled for being too extreme.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You could do Alien but on a boat with a couple of them sneaking on a cruise ship or something I guess but that's about the only way I can think of to go.

It's just amusing to me because of how cold that iron is now. By the time it would actually come out no one is gonna remember what the hell they are. People will just think it's a weird sequel to Underwater.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davros1 posted:

And the funny thing is, for a "disaster", domestically, Suicide Squad only made 5 million less than BvS.

Yeah, its silly. No one likes the movie but it made Margot Robbie became a cultural thing so they're definitely putting her back in it. So the "soft reboot" is just having your cake and eating it too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Except the message of the movie is that humanity is capable both of extreme evil, the general, and extreme good, Steve, and if both things are possible there's still hope for us. Again, they literally say this out loud in the movie, because Jenkins is neither deep nor subtle.

I’m more saying the movie continuously undercuts this point by instead of actually portraying all sides as deeply flawed and World War I as a disaster that literally led to II due to how everyone just blamed Germany for all their problems at Versailles, it just sort of throws its hands up and goes “Germans bad, oh wait CGI boss fight okay we’re all done”. It could easily be argued that the Nazis as a political party don’t exist if the sheer fuckery against Germany in 1919 didn’t happen, and the point is that it’s genuinely gross that in the course of trying to distance itself from Cap 1 they end up relitigating history by doing this revisionist poo poo all over again.

Wonder Woman 1 is a genuinely troubling film if you think about what it’s supposedly “trying” to say versus what it ends up saying because of just basic elements of its filmmaking being so flat and “uh well Germans are the bad guys okay done”.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Except the Germans are explicitly not bad. Just that one guy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

It made more than Justice League. Trying to figure out how some DC movies make so much while being fairly reviled is difficult. Not to say that Justice League went over great but it was better liked than Suicide Squad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey guys I hate it when film makers don't do proper historical research and look into various theories and outcomes of the great war when making a movie about a magical woman fighting the god of war. Where is my nuance and and historicity in my comic book movie?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of people don’t look at reviews.

BvS was always going to do well financially because it’s Batman and Superman and there was no trend of bad movies yet.

Suicide Squad’s Hot Topic aesthetic and Joker/Harley sold to a lot of people, plus sure BvS wasn’t good but this could be.

But by Justice League, you’ve now had 2 pieces of crap in a row.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

Hey guys I hate it when film makers don't do proper historical research and look into various theories and outcomes of the great war when making a movie about a magical woman fighting the god of war. Where is my nuance and and historicity in my comic book movie?
Watchmen managed to both educate people about the Tulsa massacre and have a magic blue man. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Vince MechMahon posted:

Except the Germans are explicitly not bad. Just that one guy.

That is contradicted by the No Mans Land/village scenes which were shot in a sort of Saving Private Ryan style, which means that the distinction in the wars/"villainy" is scrubbed. Similarly, a lot of the espionage scenes are reminiscent of WW2 films (or Indiana Jones). The latter wouldn't have been as much of an issue if the former didn't exist, or did a better job of depicting how much a total meatgrinder the trenches were for everyone. Obviously different people will have different takes on WW1 but I was reading Tardi's It Was the War of the Trenches and Goddamn This War! at the time and the idea of a heroic charge with sweeping music as they vanquish those dastardly germans came across as really failing to depict the pointlessness of the deaths.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to see a German crying as he is forced to beat a Frenchman to death.

Alhazred posted:

Watchmen managed to both educate people about the Tulsa massacre and have a magic blue man. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Pfft they had like 8 extra hours to do that.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 29, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iirc from the interview with whatshisname the tulsa massacre intro was solely because of black writers in the room

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

site posted:

Iirc from the interview with whatshisname the tulsa massacre intro was solely because of black writers in the room

it was from him reading Ta-Nehesi Coates Case for Reparations the same time he got the offer to make a Watchmen show. he did talk about not knowing about it beforehand and realizing how hosed up that was

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dug it up and apparently you are correct, I retract my statement

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, MCU's just a machine at this point. They can throw the Guardians, Ant-Man, the Eternals, or Shang Chi into it and it spits out a movie. Everything except apparently the Inhumans. I feel like i can actually make sensible predictions and guesses at the future of the MCU because its established a direction.

I don't think that compares. Just because they're both comic franchises doesn't make their productions similar. DC's all over the place and I have absolutely no idea what to expect from it or what the next movie could be.

I've heard recently a quote from someone who worked for the big two. It's a few years old at this point, but I just heard it last week.

"Marvel is like a tank. DC is like a Taxi with no one behind the wheel"

That was in reference to the comic production but it really seems to fit the movie making method as well

Marvel took some time to get going, and you could argue that it is crushing everything in front of and around it, but you are not likely going to stop it anytime soon.

On the other hand, by comparison DC is driving wildly, crossing lanes and doing a lot of property damage. Maybe you get to your destination, maybe you get wildly detoured, and for some people, that's fun. But at the end, I just want that ride to be over.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's honestly weird how DC is unable to make good movies about characters that isn't Batman related.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alhazred posted:

It's honestly weird how DC is unable to make good movies about characters that isn't Batman related.

I will not stand for this continued Shazam erasure.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Plus it might have been dumb as hell but Aquaman was at least a fun ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Madkal posted:

This is a dumb argument not only because literal actual comics have been doing this for half a century now, but also because the actual movie actually made this a central issue and then completely hosed up the execution. If they wanted to make a movie all about them evil 1918 era Germans being all evil and committing war crimes (that literally every nation was perpetuating, whatever), that’s fine. But instead it wanted to be a movie about how actually all sides are bad when it was incapable of portraying the Germans as anything but Nazis Lite. If they didn’t want the movie to be criticized for being historically inaccurate and being revisionist maybe don’t tread in those waters and attempt to be something more high minded than it was.