Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Perplx posted:

Yes the m1 laptops can only run 1 external display, which doesn't make much sense because it can drive a 6k monitor which is actually more pixels than 2x 4k monitors. I think its because the m1 cannot run 2x 6k monitors and apple wanted to avoid the the headline "the new apple laptop can't run 2 apple monitors but will run 2x 4k samsung monitors". I have a feeling they will enable 2 monitors in the future.

I don't think the hardware is there. A much simpler explanation for everything working the way it does is that M1 has two display refresh and output blocks, and in the laptop M1 models one of them is dedicated exclusively to the internal display. (There's probably an extra and much less capable one to run the touchbar on the 13" MBP, but it's probably not useful for driving a full size display.)

Wait for M1X (or whatever it ends up being called) if you need more high performance displays, or use DisplayLink stuff for extra mostly-static displays. A bigger M1 is obviously going to happen, and that's where Apple will address users who need more than 16GB RAM, more I/O ports, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

not to diminish the m1, but it really is just an upscaled ipad soc. the ipad can only drive a single external monitor so the m1 can only drive a single external monitor. i bet we don't get multiple displays until the m2

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

M1s also can't seem to drive some ultrawide displays as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212027

Apple promises an update which means it's a software fix; I've seen some people say they got it to work just by using SwitchRes..

I can report that the Dell U3818DW is not affected by this, at least when using USB-C.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy is doing some big discounts on their "open box - satisfactory" Macbok Pro M1 models in some stores. Down to $950 depending on location.
You'll need to check on the site and click on "Buying Options" and it should show anything in your area
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macboo...odel~Apple%20M1

I think the Airs are discounted too.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Daily driving my XPS 13 and M1 MBA, one thing that they hosed up on the MBA that I hope they fix on the next rev is putting identical TB ports on both sides. I never have to think about it on the XPS but sometimes end up with awkward cable positioning on the MBA.

Hope it doesn’t become a marker segmentation thing...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

M1s also can't seem to drive some ultrawide displays as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212027

Apple promises an update which means it's a software fix; I've seen some people say they got it to work just by using SwitchRes..

same, my samsung crg9 would report 1080 ultrawide as the max res. i updated to the 11.2 beta and used switchresx and i can get full resolution but only via thunderbolt (in my case, going to displayport), so. not ideal but it works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

movax posted:

Daily driving my XPS 13 and M1 MBA, one thing that they hosed up on the MBA that I hope they fix on the next rev is putting identical TB ports on both sides. I never have to think about it on the XPS but sometimes end up with awkward cable positioning on the MBA.

Hope it doesn’t become a marker segmentation thing...

Yeah I wish they had ports on both sides. I’m not a fan of that but it’s a minor gripe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
MBA M1/BigSur 11.1 20C69/LG 5k 27" external monitor issues so far are all waking from sleep issues:
1. Brightness doesn't work on the external monitor unless I go into the display settings and touch the brightness slider
2. Sometimes the display on the MBA displays in the wrong resolution but the extra resolution is available off screen, so you lose windows
3. Sometimes the external display will be split and offset vertically

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Binary Badger posted:

Many of the benchmarks were running in Rosetta 2 on the M1 MBP.. (Don't know why he only identiies it as Rosetta, not Rosetta 2..)
Were you confused and thought he was running PPC code?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Seeking Linux for Macbook advice!

I have a retired Macbook Retina that I want to repurpose. It should stream netflix, youtube, other services without hassle and be a netbook for when we are traveling.

Macbook Retina
Core i7 3GHz
8GB RAM

Its Mac OS is getting old (10.9.5) and it's full of junk. I don't want to upgrade to a newer Mac OS because I don't want to be bothered with Apple software, so I'd like to put on Linux distribution.

But which one? Ubuntu Gnome? Elementary? It should be surefire, rae care of itself, be quick, and perform streaming and surfing duties.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Were you confused and thought he was running PPC code?

Rosetta and Rosetta 2 are two different technologies, one is for PPC to Intel, the other is Intel to ARM, calling it Rosetta is lazy

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have a retired Macbook Retina that I want to repurpose. It should stream netflix, youtube, other services without hassle and be a netbook for when we are traveling.

Macbook Retina
Core i7 3GHz
8GB RAM

Its Mac OS is getting old (10.9.5) and it's full of junk. I don't want to upgrade to a newer Mac OS because I don't want to be bothered with Apple software, so I'd like to put on Linux distribution.

But which one? Ubuntu Gnome? Elementary? It should be surefire, rae care of itself, be quick, and perform streaming and surfing duties.

If you want a minimal-hassle *nix OS that plays well with Mac hardware, why not just upgrade OS X/MacOS?

Any Linux system will need a bit (or a lot) more care and feeding than the Apple option, and it doesn't sound like you're doing anything where Linux would give you any kind of substantial benefits.

Binary Badger posted:

Rosetta and Rosetta 2 are two different technologies, one is for PPC to Intel, the other is Intel to ARM, calling it Rosetta is lazy

God, mom! It's not Star Trek, it's Star Trek: The Next Generation! They're completely different and it is lazy and insulting to call them both "Star Trek!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

It is version 2 of a product called "Rosetta." Apple themselves calls it "Rosetta" in its docs after introducing its version number.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If every time you mention iOS or Android you don't say iOS12 or Android 11 you are being lazy.

Also, everytime you mention Something Awful you are being lazy if you don't say "Something Awful: Powered by vBulletin Version 2.2.9 (R)"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wine Is NOT an Emulator

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Space Gopher posted:

If you want a minimal-hassle *nix OS that plays well with Mac hardware, why not just upgrade OS X/MacOS?

Any Linux system will need a bit (or a lot) more care and feeding than the Apple option, and it doesn't sound like you're doing anything where Linux would give you any kind of substantial benefits.

God, mom! It's not Star Trek, it's Star Trek: The Next Generation! They're completely different and it is lazy and insulting to call them both "Star Trek!"

Maybe that is an option. Mac OS keeps bugging me with accounts that it wants me to log in but maybe I can just opt out of that. And a fresh setup might also be a little bit smoother. I'll try that before side grading to Linux, thanks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lord Stimperor posted:

Maybe that is an option. Mac OS keeps bugging me with accounts that it wants me to log in but maybe I can just opt out of that. And a fresh setup might also be a little bit smoother. I'll try that before side grading to Linux, thanks.

I just switched my 2013 MacBook Pro 13” to elementary. The amount of fixes and housekeeping I did just to make it feel workable was too much. Then I switched to Chrome OS which was decent, except that I needed to use my randomized 20 character Google password to log in each time after restart, and the trackpad experience was so subpar that I thought I might have physically broke or unseated the trackpad somehow.

Ive given up and I’m hoping the system is a bit more stable after a nuke-and-pave. If not maybe I’ll try windows 10. I’ve updated a 2011 iMac from its OS to Win 10 and it was immediately, shockingly faster.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

How well does Linux handle power management on a Macbook, or are we just assuming the battery is shot and the machine's always plugged in?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

BlackMK4 posted:

3. Sometimes the external display will be split and offset vertically

That’s not M1-specific - I have the exact same issue with my LG 5k and a 16”. No amount of software updates fixed it, and Apple actually just swapped out my whole logic board to try and resolve :shrug:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lord Stimperor posted:

Macbook Retina
Core i7 3GHz
8GB RAM

Hmm a retina isn’t that old yet to put Linux on unless you really want to mess with Linux but that’s more common practice with old PC laptops. ElementaryOS might be ok tho for a first time out. I would personally just nuke it and throw on lastest MacOS.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you want a minimal hassle my-first-distro Ubuntu is the way to go. Can't say I've got much love for gnome 3 though. As others have said a barebones Mac install is probably the simplest solution. You can also make bootable usb sticks for any linux distro super easily if you want to check them out without committing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

Macbook Retina
Core i7 3GHz
8GB RAM

I would suggest doing an macOS internet restore and restart from scratch, Linux on macs is still cumbersome and your unit is not old enough to justify the hassle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hi thread, I have a decently old but still serviceable Mac that I want to make much worse to use. Which Linux distro do you recommend replacing MacOS Mojave with?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BTW, if you remove macOS from your Mac laptop entirely (like make it all Windows / Linux) and you bring your machine to a Fruit Stand for any kind of service, Apple will flat out refuse to repair it.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

Yes, but only with DisplayLink, which is basically a separate GPU that runs in software over USB. It's exactly as slow and bandwidth-starved as that sounds. If you just need to display static office documents, it's fine. Anything with significant motion looks awful.

Thanks - I'm going to try my luck with a DisplayLink - HDMI adapter, then.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Binary Badger posted:

There is no possibility of confusion when you're speaking of Rosetta in 2020 what it means you pedantic dork

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

i went looking to see if you could run ppc programs through rosetta 1 -> rosetta 2 but learned rosetta 1 was dropped from osx in 2011 :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I thought you guys were talking about the granodiorite stele inscribed with three versions of a decree issued in Memphis, Egypt in 196 BC during the Ptolemaic dynasty on behalf of King Ptolemy V Epiphanes

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I thought you guys were talking about the granodiorite stele inscribed with three versions of a decree issued in Memphis, Egypt in 196 BC during the Ptolemaic dynasty on behalf of King Ptolemy V Epiphanes

E: the joke was not thought out enough

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hi thread, I have a decently old but still serviceable Mac that I want to make much worse to use. Which Linux distro do you recommend replacing MacOS Mojave with?

EFB but Put Ubuntu on it if you’re a masochist.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait do they actually use metric screen dimensions in the EU? Like instead of a MBP16 it’s a MBP40?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

Suicide Linux will definitely provide you the awful experience you are looking for.

https://qntm.org/suicide

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

EFB but Put Ubuntu on it if you’re a masochist.

I was being 100% facetious lol, but yeah obviously I guess you put Ubuntu on it. If you must do a Linux to it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait do they actually use metric screen dimensions in the EU? Like instead of a MBP16 it’s a MBP40?

Not to my knowledge. I often see screen diagonals indicated as "xx inch (yy cm)" om ads and spec sheets. Might be national or european rule.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I've got a Mid 2012 15" Retina MBP that's still doing the needful -- but the battery is practically dead. This is into vintage territory so apple won't give it the time of day anymore I believe.

Are there any DIY battery replacement options that are actually OK? I don't trust any public online reviews at this point for that kinda stuff. I know the battery replacement is pretty involved and am OK with that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Make sure you have compressed air and a clean paintbrush to get out all the dust and crumbs while you’re in there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EL BROMANCE posted:

Suicide Linux will definitely provide you the awful experience you are looking for.

https://qntm.org/suicide

This is the apex of open source culture.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

WilWheaton posted:

I've got a Mid 2012 15" Retina MBP that's still doing the needful -- but the battery is practically dead. This is into vintage territory so apple won't give it the time of day anymore I believe.

Are there any DIY battery replacement options that are actually OK? I don't trust any public online reviews at this point for that kinda stuff. I know the battery replacement is pretty involved and am OK with that.

I have no real experience with this specifically, but ifixit has never failed me for replacement parts, tools and guides.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lord Stimperor posted:

You probably want to follow these directions to erase the internal drive:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

followed by these to install a fresh macOS using the Internet Recovery feature:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Since your Mac has likely never been past 10.9.5, it hasn't had its firmware upgraded so that Internet Recovery can take you straight to the latest version of macOS. Instead, the old-school version of IR will install the version of macOS which was originally installed by the factory on your computer (it might not even go back to 10.9.5, in other words). So once that fresh OS is installed, you're in for an upgrade to get to the most recent macOS.

An alternative method which is slightly more involved could take you straight to current macOS Big Sur. It requires two things: a USB stick (preferably a high speed USB3.0 one) that you don't mind erasing to hold a bootable installer, and access to a Mac which you can log into in order to download the macOS install app from the App Store and then run the command line tool buried inside the installer app to create the bootable installer.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

However, if I'm reading between the lines of what you've written, you've been handed a retired computer that you might not have the password to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I will update as soon as I'm home. I'm literally in a cabin in the woods and the wifi is spotty here.

It's actually my own Macbook. Used it a lot for work and private earlier, but privately I'm mostly on my windows desktop now, and at my current job I have to use a company laptop. So this one is delegated to couch duty.