Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
New chapter out: https://guya.moe/proxy/imgur/mR8PMG1/1/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Credit where credit is due: that was a good rear end chase scene.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Good visual storytelling. I had to read a little slower than usual, but I could follow the action pretty easily.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

This means Saitama is Blast obv.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i like drive knights r-type ship

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

graham cracker posted:

This means Saitama is Blast obv.

Is this seriously the first time we've ever seen Blast?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That was possibly the best chase sequence I have ever seen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, it's really nice to get an update that moves the story forward and have the characters interacti- Wait, what's that up ahead? A time warp?! We're going backwards thirty chapters next update? NOOOO

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Looking forward to the re-draw of the very first chapter.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fuuuuck I love when murata just storyboards out an action scene for several pages

in other words,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Murata can animate better with still images than the animators that worked on Season 2 can with animation

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Blast has a blast brooch

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Seriously tho, Blast is future Saitama who broke his final limit, the ability to grow hair and punch through time.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Is this seriously the first time we've ever seen Blast?

I think Murata's version showed him a bit earlier but this is where we first saw him in the One version.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kild posted:

I think Murata's version showed him a bit earlier but this is where we first saw him in the One version.

This flashback is where we saw him in the One version, but this flashback only happened after the Monster Association arc in the One version.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

This flashback is where we saw him in the One version, but this flashback only happened after the Monster Association arc in the One version.

Ah yeah thats true, lol.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blast's armor makes him look like he belongs in an MMORPG.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I can't believe that Blast is just Alphinaud all grown up.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Bang killing Child Emperor with kindness is just the best. And I like both of the characters.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol at the "NO THIS DOES NOT MEAN BLAST IS SAITAMA" on the last page

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sally posted:

That must mean Blast is Saitama.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Sally posted:

Normally against scanlators interjecting opinions, but that might just have saved quite a few nerd conversations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Im glad the credits page also did the dumb one piece joke in my head

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

fuuuuck I love when murata just storyboards out an action scene for several pages

in other words,

Drive Knight's Tactical Transformations are one of my favorite things to come out of the redraw.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I actually liked this chapter, pleasant surprise. Please keep the story moving forward.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We will now warp back 115 chapters for a 200 page redraw of Mumen Rider fighting Sea King with dozens of panels showing his bones breaking in the process.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I kinda just skipped over the fight scenes and visual stuff. I'm just overloaded on all this stuff and it's no longer interesting or awe inspiring, it's just gone on for too long and I want it to be over. I just want the story to move on.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
So just take a break and wait until more chapters are out so you can progress faster?

The ”story” in OPM is thin as gently caress as it is. For years people have said to wait for specific story monents to show up in the redraw and then when they do it’s the most basic storytelling ever. I don’t get why people want the artist to rush forward because of the barebones plot

The story is right there in the original. The redraw is purposefully fleshing the action and character moments out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Collapsing Farts posted:

The story is right there in the original. The redraw is purposefully fleshing the action and character moments out.

The redraw has fleshed out the action, but it has in no way fleshed out the character moments. If anything, it's sanded them down to the point where there's barely any conflict between them. You've got the good heroes who are all working together, the bad guys who've all been cornered, and one confused good boy in Garos.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

So just take a break and wait until more chapters are out so you can progress faster?

The ”story” in OPM is thin as gently caress as it is. For years people have said to wait for specific story monents to show up in the redraw and then when they do it’s the most basic storytelling ever. I don’t get why people want the artist to rush forward because of the barebones plot

I too liked Frieza's 5 minutes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I can't say the story moments is what is hooking me on this series to be honest. It's the action and the comedy. But the comedy doesn't work as well unless you take the action seriously, so I'm okay that we're getting a lot of straight up shonen action as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish ONE was focusing more on the webcomic because he's been going to real interesting places in it. murata seems to mostly focus on scenes he wants to draw instead of the story.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Because the plot in the manga is worse than the plot in the web comic. Like the reveal of Blast compared to the web comic is worse here, the escalation of "What's up with Sweet Mask?" is worse here, all the story beats are handled so much less effectively in the manga compared to the web comic. Who could predict that though? I mean he's already done the the plot work, and well, the first time. Why would folks expect it to get worse in retelling?

But it does. In exchange you get a lot of Murata art. That's it, that's always been the trade off: Pretty pictures or tighter storytelling.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
The manga has become exactly what the webcomic was making fun of. If you didn’t figure that out with the 5-6 month Phoenix man fight arc and then redraw, idk what to tell you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

About the redraws, is that Murata wanting a do-over or is it ONE going "hey by the way some of this stuff is being retconned, mind touching it up?" I have no clue, I'm only following the manga.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

And Tyler Too! posted:

About the redraws, is that Murata wanting a do-over or is it ONE going "hey by the way some of this stuff is being retconned, mind touching it up?" I have no clue, I'm only following the manga.

I would honestly wager it's a bit of both.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would honestly wager it's a bit of both.

On top of that, it's been pretty obvious that whenever ONE added new stuff to the webcomic there came a redraw or plot development that corresponded to it. The changes to Sweet mask vs Do-S and Child Emperor vs Penguinman v4.0 are pretty clear changes to setup later stuff

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Murata has on several occasions shown the drafts that ONE sends him. Murata has some freedom in that he can add pages in between (for example Genos's fight against Elder Centipede was basically made wholecloth by Murata; ONE's draft only had Genos leaping at EC and then immediately getting cut in half and failing). ONE has final say though, for example getting rid of Metal Bat ricocheting the manhole cover in his fight against Garou since it didn't fit MB's character.

Which IMO makes some of the complaints about pacing (which I do think are valid) that level the blame entirely on Murata to be a bit dumb. Each release is likely its own set of drafts from ONE, at most Murata adds several pages of action.

ONE telling Murata to redo some stuff is very much a possibility. If he had a problem with moving up Blast's introduction, then Murata wouldn't have even drawn it, so blaming Murata for that is a stupid idea.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 31, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wish ONE was focusing more on the webcomic because he's been going to real interesting places in it. murata seems to mostly focus on scenes he wants to draw instead of the story.

I really like ONEs comic, wish he'd update more. Muratas version is more something to keep me going between ONE updates nowadays.

Edit: I mean I liked this version a lot too, just all the loving redraws, it makes it hard to give a poo poo about anything that happens, who knows if it will be redrawn later and changed. And things just never move forward, been stuck in this loving rut of a fight for god knows how long now.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I get the distinct impression that ONE isn't as satisfied with his webcomic as many of us here in this thread are. Seems like a lot of the Murata version is as much ONE wondering "what if" as it is Murata wanting to draw cool action sequences. They also both seem like huge dorks who are enabling each other to be extra dorky with this updated version, for better or worse.