Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

Man, I'm 7 hours into the second half of FFVI, and I just found out that I was supposed to wait for Shadow on the Floating Continent. I'm kicking myself because that was even mentioned in the Before I Play guide, but I thought the hint was referring to an earlier scene. Are there any particularly good scenes with that character in the second half of the game? Is it worth going back and repeating the seven hours of the game? (I have a save from right before the key point.)

it feels like a LOT to replay the entire World of Balance, so you maybe just want to look up shadow's scenes? tbh almost all of the worthwhile ones are after where you are - you can have him sleep in a specific bed and he has a lot of dreams about his past, which reveal sort of a twist that has already been hinted at. you can totally survive without him gameplay-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like it's a bummer but shadow is one of... i think FOURTEEN characters? just find a video with shadow's dream sequences and the portion of the ending movie that has him in it. i'd restart but i'm an insane completionist

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

it feels like a LOT to replay the entire World of Balance

I have a save from right before the fight at the end of WoB, so I'd be replaying about seven hours of time. Man, I really like Shadow, too, but I'm not sure I like them enough to spend several hours replaying stuff. Looking up videos of their parts is a good idea, maybe I'll just do that.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Now you know what to do for your second play through

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

VikingofRock posted:

Man, I'm 7 hours into the second half of FFVI, and I just found out that I was supposed to wait for Shadow on the Floating Continent. I'm kicking myself because that was even mentioned in the Before I Play guide, but I thought the hint was referring to an earlier scene. Are there any particularly good scenes with that character in the second half of the game? Is it worth going back and repeating the seven hours of the game? (I have a save from right before the key point.)

are yo uplaying on emulator or an actaul snes? cause if its emulator just burn through the parts you missed on turbo speed

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

bump_fn posted:

are yo uplaying on emulator or an actaul snes? cause if its emulator just burn through the parts you missed on turbo speed

I'm on an emulator, so that's actually a great idea. This time I can save Cid, too

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I would live with the consequences of your actions, OP.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Saving Cid doesn't do much, weirdly

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Wait, Cid died too? So you not only left Shadow behind on an exploding continent but you fed Cid the shittiest fish you could find? There is no hope for you after all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

murdering cid by food poisoning is acceptable if you're not on an emulator cause sometimes they just don't give you the good fish

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i didnt even know it was possible to save cid until like a decade or two after i first beat the game

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I actually never do it cause it takes longer than killing him and like Bicyclops said nothing really happens if you do. The scene you get when he dies is better, too.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kongming posted:

I actually never do it cause it takes longer than killing him and like Bicyclops said nothing really happens if you do. The scene you get when he dies is better, too.

same as in chrono trigger if you dont rescue lucca's mom

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bump_fn posted:

you monster

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

wtf dude

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lucca, enter the password! Stop this machine!!

L..A..R.......RY

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bump_fn posted:

:dogwhistle:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

I think you get an origin flashback scene if you sleep at an inn but that's about it.

also reading a Before I Play guide is epic fail

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

you're this far in, live with the consequences of your actions. it's stuff like this that makes this game so great.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

bro why are you readinga before i play guide for a game designed to be beaten by japanese 2nd graders

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

bro why are you readinga before i play guide for a game designed to be beaten by japanese 2nd graders

To ignore it, apparently

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

To ignore it, apparently

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

To ignore it, apparently

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

To ignore it, apparently

lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Step 1: read the “before I play guide”
Step 2: now throw that poo poo away

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

staring at my broken dresser cursing myself for looking at the frowning IKEA man and refusing to get a towel

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Man, I don't have nearly as much time to play video games as I used to. If I'm gonna sink 40+ hours into a JRPG, I'm gonna check a spoiler-free guide to make sure I'm not gonna miss anything huge because I'm not gonna get another chance at a playthrough for a while.

...and then apparently ignore said guide. Oh well

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's fun clowning on you but honestly the shadow thing is bullshit because he doesn't show up until like 5 seconds before the timer goes off and there's no way to know that.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

Man, I don't have nearly as much time to play video games as I used to. If I'm gonna sink 40+ hours into a JRPG, I'm gonna check a spoiler-free guide to make sure I'm not gonna miss anything huge because I'm not gonna get another chance at a playthrough for a while.

...and then apparently ignore said guide. Oh well

didn't read lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
man, ff9 really holds up especially with the moguri mod (the turbo speed button helps as well). i’m amazed with how modern parts of the game feels in terms of direction (eg cutting between characters who have been separated)

really bummed beatrix never becomes a permanent playable tho :(

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

To ignore it, apparently

dead poets society but he's telling students to rip up Before I Plays

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

because he is a japanese 1st grader, op

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that lightning is nice to hope in xiii. Also that they both hate snow

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lightning is too cool.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel