Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

In case you're not aware, ImGui is a very nice library for rendering debug UIs (and sometimes even real UIs). I'd imagine a lot of game dev teams use it these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I saw several people calling this out. Is it because Nintendo is using it?
It’s weird seeing a console game with a mouse pointer.

A number of demo pics I came across shows this running on Wonder Boy: Dragons Trap
https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/935180533176438784?s=20

https://montreal.ubisoft.com/en/ubisoft-sponsors-user-interface-library-for-c-dear-imgui/
Looks like Ubisoft is sponsoring it, too

Yay for OSS and not reinventing that particular wheel.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Imgui is everywhere

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://youtu.be/SZcrPM-jDqY

https://twitter.com/didyouknowgamin/status/1342894739704582145?s=20

From the “poo poo that would never have happened without the gigaleak” department…

Yeah, through out the video I'm all "The keyboard is all fine and good ... you could probably emulate something like this with a raspberry pi's GPIO pins ... but where's the software?"

and then BOOM! Gigaleak delivers!
\/

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 27, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee Jones posted:

https://youtu.be/SZcrPM-jDqY

https://twitter.com/didyouknowgamin/status/1342894739704582145?s=20

From the “poo poo that would never have happened without the gigaleak” department…

Yeah I was just going to post this.

It was finally unearthed after 28 years. Guy couldn't do poo poo without the software. A MONTH LATER THE SOFTWARE LEAKS.

loving amazing. And beautiful!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That Handy Boy was amusing and amazing to look at. It is a transformer at that point.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is gonna make me sound young af but it's amazing that the whole smartdevice idea had been kinda floating around since the 90s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

This is gonna make me sound young af but it's amazing that the whole smartdevice idea had been kinda floating around since the 90s.

If you think that's neat, just wait til you hear about PDAs!

e: but yeah that video is amazing and another generation or two down the line and that product could've been a game-changer as a low-cost PDA

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 29, 2020

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

David Foster Wallace very accurately predicted Snapchat filters in 1996. Reading that section of Infinite Jest today is mind blowing.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

If you think that's neat, just wait til you hear about PDAs!

Not many adults I knew owned one of those. Then again I was a little kid. I recall that my dad had a cellphone in the late 90s/early 00s.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The neat thing is that there was a limited market of people using the Gameboy as a way of offloading the cost of making displays and processors for specialized tools like automobile diagnostics or fishing sonar or sewing machines, so even though this particular business version didn't succeed some people did.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i still have a handy boy and a pda

i don't remember where i got the handy boy, i think i mustve asked for it as a present and been sorely disappointed at what it actually was, i never bought another major peripheral for any console

i think i got the pda to use in high school to take notes and stuff. i just played solitaire on it, it was a useless device

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I havent thought about PDAs for ages but man was my handspring visor kick rear end, it could poorly emulate gameboy games at like 5fps AND play an extremely tinny rendition of In The End until the speaker gave out under the stress

I kind of miss having a digital organizer that took easily replaced batteries, modern smartphones definitely killed that market but modern smartphones also run out of battery quicker

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

blatman posted:

I havent thought about PDAs for ages but man was my handspring visor kick rear end, it could poorly emulate gameboy games at like 5fps AND play an extremely tinny rendition of In The End until the speaker gave out under the stress

I kind of miss having a digital organizer that took easily replaced batteries, modern smartphones definitely killed that market but modern smartphones also run out of battery quicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppquyFJ3q8 lol i think i tried this back in the day too, this was the exact device i had. this must be the worst way to play snes games, i think it worked a little better with gameboy games

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Phone organization apps suck rear end compared to my old Palm IIIe, this is my old man gripe that I will never cease yelling at clouds about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The neat thing is that there was a limited market of people using the Gameboy as a way of offloading the cost of making displays and processors for specialized tools like automobile diagnostics or fishing sonar or sewing machines, so even though this particular business version didn't succeed some people did.

It’s sort of a running joke in Cycle Asylum that you need an old gameboy color to tune an equally old Aprilia motorcycle or scooter because.......well.....you do

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was always impressed with the emulator on my HP iPaq. I really liked that chunky little device. Shame you can't sync those on Windows 10, least as far as I know.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I had a Dell Axim PocketPC that I used to play Earthbound during class in college back in the early 2000's. It worked pretty well for RPGs lol

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I had a Palm Zire 72 that was pretty amazing for the time. Played NES games at full speed, SCUMM too. I could watch video and listen to mp3s. The best part was a universal remote app that I would use all the time to change the channel at places to cartoons instead of sports. The staff at the restaurants would always be so confused as to how it was happening.

I need to replace the battery in the thing and get it working again for that reason alone. I wish my iPhone had an IR port damnit.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I had all the tvs in the various student centers in mine. Came in handy.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played through a good chunk of Zelda - Manish Cap in an emulator on my trusty Nokia E71. Looked and ran great if I remember right.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wrong thread thought it was the main Switch thread.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 30, 2020

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

This reminds me of when kids would link their TI-83+ calculators to swap games. I was the only person I ever knew who actually bought the cable to connect to a computer so I could download whatever I wanted. I've played Doom on a calculator more than I have any other version combined. Nothing beat Phoenix though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Friend posted:

This reminds me of when kids would link their TI-83+ calculators to swap games. I was the only person I ever knew who actually bought the cable to connect to a computer so I could download whatever I wanted. I've played Doom on a calculator more than I have any other version combined. Nothing beat Phoenix though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_WgbUfNxc

The way that people managed to sideload an entire operating system onto graphing calculators is really ingenious. It's total bullshit that kids today still have to pay a premium to use what is now a 25 year-old model of calculator because schools are too authoritarian to let them just use infinitely more powerful phones they already own but the one upside is that it means there's still a small community of young developers continuously springing up so you get things like a fanmade calculator port of Five Nights at Freddy's

https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/1250/x1250

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_WgbUfNxc

The way that people managed to sideload an entire operating system onto graphing calculators is really ingenious. It's total bullshit that kids today still have to pay a premium to use what is now a 25 year-old model of calculator because schools are too authoritarian to let them just use infinitely more powerful phones they already own but the one upside is that it means there's still a small community of young developers continuously springing up so you get things like a fanmade calculator port of Five Nights at Freddy's

https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/1250/x1250

If kids could use their cell phones, there is no way there wouldn't be a bunch of cheaters.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If kids could use their cell phones, there is no way there wouldn't be a bunch of cheaters.

Good thing you can only load games and not periodic tables etc. onto a calculator, then.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The internet exists. Smart phones exist. They're a part of everyday life and something that adults use every day in their jobs as well as at home. The idea that the purpose of school is to make kids memorize all the information you think they'll need to function as adults is something that was borne out of a totally different world where it was comparatively difficult and time-consuming to access and update information. It's cheating kids a lot more to just keep making them learn and act in a way that is half a century out of step with the real world and getting more out of touch and irrelevant every day for no other reason than that's just the way it was always done and change is scary.

The world needs more people that know how to look up information and recognize whether its accurate and trustworthy and less people who memorized the equation for calculating a sine but will just accept an Instagram influencer laundering Qanon talking points to sell flat tummy tea because it showed up on their feed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm sure they could still cheat with calculators that run custom programs. It's stupid to ban those things.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm more talking about using cell phones to message other people than using more advanced programs. Its dumb they don't allow more advanced calculators.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I remember the teachers started making us clear the program memory in front of them before tests... then someone made and distributed a program that looked and behaved like that menu, but (of course) didn't clear the memory.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The world needs more people that know how to look up information and recognize whether its accurate and trustworthy and less people who memorized the equation for calculating a sine but will just accept an Instagram influencer laundering Qanon talking points to sell flat tummy tea because it showed up on their feed.
Born in time to be insanely frustrated at classmates taking Bonsai Kitten seriously when I was 11, but too early for that to be recognised as a genuine skill set worth cultivating

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If someone is going to cheat you're not going to be able to stop them. This was true even before you could have gadgets the size of a business card that could contain the entirety of a thousand textbooks.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I know the entire discussion is a massive tangent, but the major consideration for calculator use in schools now has almost nothing to do with concerns about cheating from the school and instead has everything to do with standardized testing (state tests, SAT, etc.), and what devices are allowable on those tests. Since they have to use very specific devices on the test, part of teaching the course is getting students accustomed to the specific allowable calculators. Students absolutely do use their phones all the time in school, get pointed towards apps to help them, etc.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let students use their Game Boys on tests imo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s sort of a running joke in Cycle Asylum that you need an old gameboy color to tune an equally old Aprilia motorcycle or scooter because.......well.....you do

Why?

This is cool as all gently caress and looks really drat good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The internet exists. Smart phones exist. They're a part of everyday life and something that adults use every day in their jobs as well as at home. The idea that the purpose of school is to make kids memorize all the information you think they'll need to function as adults is something that was borne out of a totally different world where it was comparatively difficult and time-consuming to access and update information. It's cheating kids a lot more to just keep making them learn and act in a way that is half a century out of step with the real world and getting more out of touch and irrelevant every day for no other reason than that's just the way it was always done and change is scary.

learning isn't about memorizing stuff when it's done well, learning english or math isn't about memorizing things, it's a skill, even if you memorize a grammatical rule or a formula your skill in applying it isn't necessarily there and that's what you're supposed to learn from a good teacher

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

on the contrary i find that kids are generally quite good at detecting fake bullshit, it's like when old people worry about deepfakes and even to people my age it's just obvious that they're not real every time, if you grew up with AI generated fake stuff you get used to it and know how to spot it

if anything it's a lack of memorization that's a problem, it's good to memorize stuff sometimes, even stuff that you can just look up, since it helps you form a complete picture of things. imagine if you never memorized a map of the world and don't know where most of the countries are, and if you watch the news or something you'd have no global idea of where and in what context something takes place. looking stuff up is fine for small details like "how do i fix a programming error" but it's much better to have a lot of that stuff just in your head where it can connect with other information to form a global idea

same goes for poetry or music or literature. it's good to memorize poems or literary passages that you like so you can actually recite them, not just because it's pleasurable but because it helps refine your linguistic sense and tastes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shibawanko posted:

on the contrary i find that kids are generally quite good at detecting fake bullshit, it's like when old people worry about deepfakes and even to people my age it's just obvious that they're not real every time, if you grew up with AI generated fake stuff you get used to it and know how to spot it

Lol, no, they have no concept that "it's just a joke/ironic" is a cover to let people get away with heinous poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, no, they have no concept that "it's just a joke/ironic" is a cover to let people get away with heinous poo poo.

yeah sure but that has little to do with technology, when i was in school it was the same when everybody was watching south park or whatever, i'm talking about deepfakes and bullshit news articles and stuff, in response to this:

quote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cheaper than making your own interface, easier to use near a motorcycle than a late 90s laptop.