Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Uhhh, what did they do to suggestion???? Did it become this monstrosity in a patch or something and I'm just finding out now https://displate.com/displate/4194218???????

I am finding it hilariously weird, offputting as gently caress, but also it actually makes sense from that angle...? Like, Suggestion is the sleazebag skill after all, perhaps they wanted to emphasize that instead of the sinister "cloaked by shadows" look of before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I trust him implicitly

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

also Half-Light and Pain Threshold are positively visceral now holy poo poo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I am finding it hilariously weird, offputting as gently caress, but also it actually makes sense from that angle...? Like, Suggestion is the sleazebag skill after all, perhaps they wanted to emphasize that instead of the sinister "cloaked by shadows" look of before

I get it to an extent considering the skill it is, but it's way too big and un-subtle of a change for me. Maybe I'm just unusually sensitive to this kind of thing but I really hate this kind of change in director's cuts or special editions in general, especially ones where the original thing will kind of cease to be easily accessible when the new version comes out, as I understand will happen here. Irrational I'd be the first to say but nonetheless leaves an initial bitter taste in my mouth about the final cut. Hope they make it up elsewhere!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Suggestion is the skill of manipulators and charmers. Need to talk someone into something or out of something? Suggestion will hint at the right approach to take.

In contrast to baton-flailing Authority, Suggestion is all about soft power — why threaten someone when you can make them believe their interests are aligned with yours instead? You’ve just gotta find the right words, man.

Suggestion also lets you know when someone is trying to charm you, for whatever reason. Maybe it’s just an innocent flirtation – but how can you be sure?

Suggestion is also what people in Brittain call a slimey-limey. It’s oleaginous, even when it succeeds. And when it fails… oh boy. If you thought failing at Authority was bad, try failing at Suggestion, Casanova Cop. Aka Copponova. Aka Romeo Returns Alone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Suggestion is your inner Cuno.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You know who caused this unwelcome change- women, potentially foreign woe men.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Suggestion is your inner Cuno.

Look at his poo poo-eating grin... He knows there's nothing you can do to him. He's bullying you and you are helpless. Kill him. Kill him now. He won't see death coming.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I get it to an extent considering the skill it is, but it's way too big and un-subtle of a change for me. Maybe I'm just unusually sensitive to this kind of thing but I really hate this kind of change in director's cuts or special editions in general, especially ones where the original thing will kind of cease to be easily accessible when the new version comes out, as I understand will happen here. Irrational I'd be the first to say but nonetheless leaves an initial bitter taste in my mouth about the final cut. Hope they make it up elsewhere!

your reaction is totally legit and I am still surprised how dramatic the shift is hahhaa

EorayMel posted:

Suggestion is the skill of manipulators and charmers. Need to talk someone into something or out of something? Suggestion will hint at the right approach to take.

there is a very subtle thing going on through the game that, actually, Suggestion is very much not a good skill in terms of persuasion, because it is about manipulating people in ways that disregard them as such; in a closer look, it is not surprising that once manifest as an aspect of your personality it does not have best interests when it comes to the player, capturing quite well the sociopathic tendency that Suggestion ultimately implies

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

dead gay comedy forums posted:

there is a very subtle thing going on through the game that, actually, Suggestion is very much not a good skill in terms of persuasion, because it is about manipulating people in ways that disregard them as such; in a closer look, it is not surprising that once manifest as an aspect of your personality it does not have best interests when it comes to the player, capturing quite well the sociopathic tendency that Suggestion ultimately implies

[Heroic: Failure] I want to have gently caress with you.
/

[Trivial: Success]
/

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Actually suggestion is looking between Miss Page Three's thighs and wanting to disco, managing to ignore Inland Empire's own suggestion in the situation, instead listening to Electrochemistry

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i wonder why they're changing the art. anyone able to assemble a side by side comparison of the ones being altered?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

i wonder why they're changing the art. anyone able to assemble a side by side comparison of the ones being altered?

I saw it claimed without evidence on reddit when looking into the change that it's an attempt to bring the other portraits more in line with the level of highlighting/detail/style of the int skills. There might be something to it, from what I looked at it seems like they changed the least.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
gently caress DOES SUGGESTION CARE?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The old portraits for the skills were cool but utterly forgettable. I can’t remember a single one of them. But maybe it was better that way — made me pay attention to the text instead.

I wonder how actual faces is gonna change the experience.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

faces AND voices

at this point it's practically a sequel

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kim Kitsuragi daba doop doop dead ASMR in 3 months or less

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

EorayMel posted:

Kim Kitsuragi daba doop doop dead ASMR in 3 months or less

loving lmao they best deliver on the comedy lines

deady-dead-dead-doo-doo-dead

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Maybe the portraits are more in line with the voice work?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
HELP

My fiancee and I have been playing this game together. She is approaching the end of the church sidequest. She loves Kim. She has lovely authority.

How can I avert this tragedy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

HELP

My fiancee and I have been playing this game together. She is approaching the end of the church sidequest. She loves Kim. She has lovely authority.

Tell to her load up on the pyro drug

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EorayMel posted:

Tell to her load up on the pyro drug

She has committed to sobriety

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arrhythmia posted:

She has committed to sobriety

Tell her that no matter what happens next, you still love her. Then....just watch.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you earn Kim's trust (and maybe get Ace's High or Ace's Low) it'll help.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I had -1 authority at that point and everything went fine with all the modifiers I’d stacked up.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
edit ehh

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
If you haven't found the secret compartment in your clip board yet, do it after the church scene. I think it's beautiful how that plays out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Arrhythmia posted:

HELP

What happens? I'm a dirty, dirty save-scummer and hadn't let enough of the failure scenarios play out before reloading.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

What happens? I'm a dirty, dirty save-scummer and hadn't let enough of the failure scenarios play out before reloading.

Harry calls Kim a yellow monkey fucker.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I *think* that the dance check, along with the other important authority check you get at the Tribunal, has plenty of modifiers to allow for low-authority players to pass it comfortably as long as they haven't been playing an rear end in a top hat. But oof, yeah, I'd say failing that check's one of the few insta-savescum worthy moments in the game.

E: Make sure everyone else is dancing before you pull rank on Kim

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Hot takes on the new art (and the originals for reference):

Espirit du Corps is an improvement because of the expression in the eyes -- they're more consistently tired and skeptical. The bottom set of eyes in the original picture is different in expression to a degree that it makes the picture less cohesive: it's as though these shadowy faces just happened to see you. The new picture makes me feel like I'm being investigated.

Shivers isn't too different but I really dig how the white highlights at the bottom look like lights from a building reflected on water, it's just dope.

Authority looked better in the original version though. With the sides of the crown highlighted, it looks like wings and has this Olympian athlete / god vibe that meshes well with the self-assured tone of this skill's dialogue. Being backlit also makes it seem like the person in the picture is getting really up in your face just like a loving cop. The new version is just going to make it confusing because they call an entirely different skill the crownhead, and Volition looks cool but doesn't look as much like a crownhead as this guy.

Empathy looks beautiful cleaned up like this but Perception looks worse -- I'm not wild about the old version, but I thought that having indistinct shapes was intended, because you could be perceiving buildings, limbs, streets, etc. in there.

Reaction Speed has way less motion to it this way! It's "cleaner" but just looks like a three faced dude.

I didn't like the Suggestion change until Fister Roboto pointed out that it looks like Cuno but the kid has like no Suggestion in-game -- Cunoesse does, instead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the original skill artwork is brilliant for how evocative it is in a way that perfectly communicates the idea of the skill while being extremely abstract and low-detail. I like a couple of the new ones more but overall not a fan.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
looks like there's some changes to some character portraits too. elizabeth beaufort's portrait looks like it was completely redone. cindy's might be too?

also they have a plate for jean, but not Kim!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lasting Damage posted:

looks like there's some changes to some character portraits too. elizabeth beaufort's portrait looks like it was completely redone. cindy's might be too?

https://displate.com/displate/4185372 ?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Lasting Damage posted:

:confused:

https://displate.com/displate/4185372

e: f, b

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I liked the original portraits. That said, if the new portraits were the first portraits I'd seen I'd have liked those too. It's kind of an odd thing to change at this point, but :shrug:

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

or i'm just a huge moron!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Maybe there will be an option to switch back to the old portraits, maybe even flip back and forth on the fly like languages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I am envisioning 10,000 mods which combine the preferred portraits from old and new according to each individual mod creators whims.