Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JazzFlight posted:

I think Torchlight doesn't allow for respecs (I think people modded this in?), which super turned me off. Diablo 3 had an incredible respec-at-any-time-for-free system which allowed for experimentation. I hate permanently going down one path and then learning it sucks after hours of play.

Torchlight 1 didn't have any, but the very first "sample mod" the developers put out was for a respec potion.

Torchlight 2 had an awkward half-measure thing where you could undo the last handful of skill points you spent but that was it. While the most popular mods do have respec options, they're all incredibly awkward kludge solutions like "this potion subtracts 5 from every stat but gives you 20 back" type stuff.

As for the quality of the game itself, I literally just tried to get into TL2 like a month ago (after first trying to get into the original FATE, yes really) and...eh. Even with a big mod pack sprucing bits and pieces of it up, as has been said it's still just blandly competent and focused on literally nothing other than numbers go up. Skills are either uninteresting or redundant, gear tends to severely lack the "every legendary does something cool" philosophy of D3, and you're certainly not playing the game for the story. Maybe modded classes fare a little better, but I wanted to play a barbarian dangit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I tried solitairica because it looked like something I've never played before.
The game started in this really weird resolution and would jump between full screen and windowed and I couldn't change anything in the settings. So yeah, not gonna play it I guess?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RodShaft posted:

You can tell it's not the d3 thread because people are talking about d3 and not making GBS threads on each other for posting bad primals.

I feel attacked.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if this post is just meant as "bloo bloo game bad uninstalled" then sure, go hog wild. if you actually want help you'll need to explain a bit more specifically about what happened

p.s. for those wondering, solitairica is actually quite good and it's almost always your own fault when you get into a hard to win situation

Every other review both positive and negative for this game on Steam and the mobile app stores is people saying that the game is heavily RNG based and being put in an unwinnable situation due to a bad a shuffle is just a part of the game you have to OK with, I think you're in the minority here.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don’t you guys have blogs you can post your reviews and counter-reviews of free games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zesty posted:

Don’t you guys have blogs you can post your reviews of free games?

Torchlight isn't even free yet and doesn't belong in this thread

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if this post is just meant as "bloo bloo game bad uninstalled" then sure, go hog wild. if you actually want help you'll need to explain a bit more specifically about what happened

p.s. for those wondering, solitairica is actually quite good and it's almost always your own fault when you get into a hard to win situation

I just started playing and I also don't understand what I'm supposed to do when I have no mana and the cards I draw aren't playable, aside from draw more cards.

Specifically what happened was that I was fighting someone who hit me for 4 damage (over 2 turns). I don't remember how frequently they did that, but it seemed to happen fairly often. I don't remember the name, but they were one of the green cards. I played cards onto other cards when possible, and then when it wasn't possible, I drew another card. The card I drew could also not be played on any of the top cards. After several more turns of this, I ran out of shields and hp and then I died.

I'm not sure what to be more specific about because I don't understand enough of the game (and I'm not good enough at solitaire) to know what's important. The spells I had equipped were the spells I started with. I bought other spells but didn't end up using them. I bought an HP up item so I had 12 hp.

Is Solitairica one of those games where most of the strategy happens before the battle starts, in the equipment/loadout stage? Should I be counting cards?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Metro Last Light Redux is free on GOG for the next 48h. You'll have to say you want to receive promo emails, but you can immediately go to your account > subscriptions and uncheck it to never receive any spam.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zesty posted:

Don’t you guys have blogs you can post your reviews and counter-reviews of free games?

my blog is the something awful dot com forums

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
God drat it, I missed Solitairica like a loving moron.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Torchlight 2 is free on EGS today

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Every other review both positive and negative for this game on Steam and the mobile app stores is people saying that the game is heavily RNG based and being put in an unwinnable situation due to a bad a shuffle is just a part of the game you have to OK with, I think you're in the minority here.

gently caress, im really embarrassed. cant argue with a google play review from droidgamer420

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
If anybody understands how random numbers work, it's Play Store reviewers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I played Solitairica for a while on phone, it's really fun when you can do stuff and instantly stops being fun once you can't.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RBA Starblade posted:

I played Solitairica for a while on phone, it's really fun when you can do stuff and instantly stops being fun once you can't.

I agree with this. I went nuts on it on my phone but it quickly stopped being fun. I don't know if did become unfair like people say, but it definitely felt that way. I was always ending up getting lovely deals where I lose because I couldn't do anything.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Cojawfee posted:

I agree with this. I went nuts on it on my phone but it quickly stopped being fun. I don't know if did become unfair like people say, but it definitely felt that way. I was always ending up getting lovely deals where I lose because I couldn't do anything.

I think this is true, but it's to be expected in Solitaire. At least Solitairica gives you more ways out than that, but there's always a chance to get a raw deal. If that's a deal breaker for somebody, that's fair. I enjoyed it for a while though and got a few wins out of it. (On my phone. If I were sitting at my PC, I don't know if I would have spent much time with it. Too many other options.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Getting a win with a class in Solitairica becomes much more likely if you've bought the metacurrency upgrades that give extra effects when you draw an ace / king / queen from your deck, so you are expected to lose a bit to grind that out. There is definitely a fair degree of RNG in the game but it generally tilts in your direction with massive potential runs of cards all over the board. Unfortunately if you have bad luck enemies can just use their strongest attacks over and over which is why the nastiest ones take multiple turns.

For any class the Resilience spell (convert willpower into armour) can be a game winning build if you push it far enough. It means Vanguard is the easiest class to win with as it starts with a lot of armour boosting abilities.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 30, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Gamers writing about perceived unfairness in video game RNG is a huge pet peeve. So many people complained that the xcom games were cheating that in some difficulty levels they made the actual hit percentage higher than what was displayed. I was reading reviews for A Legionary's Life recently and people were accusing the developer of lying because there was only a 4% chance of an ambush when moving tiles but it kept happening to them (ignoring the fact that this 4% chance would be rolled like 40 times during a mission). This isn't really related to the Solitarica rng discussion but drat are people's intuitions bad when it comes to probabilities.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Gamers writing about perceived unfairness in video game RNG is a huge pet peeve. So many people complained that the xcom games were cheating that in some difficulty levels they made the actual hit percentage higher than what was displayed. I was reading reviews for A Legionary's Life recently and people were accusing the developer of lying because there was only a 4% chance of an ambush when moving tiles but it kept happening to them (ignoring the fact that this 4% chance would be rolled like 40 times during a mission). This isn't really related to the Solitarica rng discussion but drat are people's intuitions bad when it comes to probabilities.

I think the more important issue is probably that "RNG" in this way isn't very fun, and is probably a lazy way to have a "difficulty curve" because it seems "unfair".

In something like DnD it's probably easier to accept it because sometimes you just have bad dice rolls and can physically see the failure. (I also liked having the logs in KOTOR I could read through to see exactly why I died, it was helpful with understanding)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cribbage with Grandpa's has the most blatant bullshit cheating RNG I've ever seen and it ruins an otherwise cool game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kevin DuBrow posted:

For those things, sure that sucks, but that is RNG happening all the time and you just get unlucky. For a card game with a shuffled deck, the RNG happens at the beginning and there's not really any way you can dig yourself out once you realize you're in a lovely RNG hole.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Card games, how do they work?!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AARP LARPer posted:

Card games, how do they work?!

A guy said he didn't enjoy it because sometimes you get a bad deal and another guy claimed if you lose at this game it's because you're too stupid.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Stranded Deep has a certain quality to it... that makes it seem like it should be on a CD, included with a box of cereal

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Escape Goat posted:

Stranded Deep has a certain quality to it... that makes it seem like it should be on a CD, included with a box of cereal

I'm not sure how to take this blatant attack on Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Zushio posted:

I'm not sure how to take this blatant attack on Chex Quest.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Trickyblackjack posted:

God drat it, I missed Solitairica like a loving moron.

I sympathise; I missed My Time in Portia because I spent over 12 hours driving on Boxing Day.

Zushio posted:

I'm not sure how to take this blatant attack on Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I was introduced to that game due to a box of Frosties (I think). Despite a terrible fear of roller coasters it began a love affair with the franchise that would have been lifelong had every game after RTC3 not been utter poo poo.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 31, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think last year they put all of them up for free again on the last day.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Skwirl posted:

I think last year they put all of them up for free again on the last day.

I hope so because I was like "Okay, I want Inside and Solitairica I want Inside and Solitairica" and I immediately missed Inside

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Artelier posted:

I hope so because I was like "Okay, I want Inside and Solitairica I want Inside and Solitairica" and I immediately missed Inside

I hope it comes back for your sake. I had Inside from the last time it was free, and like a lot of other posters, I bounced off of Limbo pretty hard, but Inside kept me going through to the .... end.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I went and installed Solitairica to make sure I was remembering it correctly from when I played it years ago. And yeah... it's partly a solitaire game. You're going to have instances where you draw several cards in a row that don't match anything on the board, just like real solitaire. The fun of the game is figuring out how to strategize around that as you build up your character and progress through the levels. If you don't like the game, fair enough. But I encourage people who haven't played it not to be turned off by the couple of drive-by "OMG, RNG!" posts in this thread.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jurassic World Evolution is your final daily EGS freebie

They're continuing the weekly giveaways, starting with Crying Suns next week

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

repiv posted:

Jurassic World Evolution is your final daily EGS freebie

They're continuing the weekly giveaways, starting with Crying Suns next week

Crying suns is an excellent game by the way. Essentially a story based FTL. Incredibly atmospheric and the soundtrack is kick rad.

Normally I just throw Epic Games onto the free game pile, but that game is worth at least one playthrough.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I sympathise; I missed My Time in Portia because I spent over 12 hours driving on Boxing Day.

I was introduced to that game due to a box of Frosties (I think). Despite a terrible fear of roller coasters it began a love affair with the franchise that would have been lifelong had every game after RTC3 not been utter poo poo.

This is such a great post because Jurassic World Evolution is free today on EGS and is made by Frontier, the guys that made RCT3! But not the actual guys that made that great game, the ones that made the horrible Planet Coaster, so free is a great and probably the only fair price for Jurassic World Evolution!

From everything I've seen it's the same Planet Coaster/Planet Zoo bullshit not-game theme park painter but with dinosaurs.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Basically. There's some gesturing towards the idea dinos need different arrangements and there's a few ways you can accidentally set yourself up for total failure, but once you get past that honestly pretty minor hump (don't make dinos sad, don't put carnivores with your herbivores, don't leave doors open) you're mostly just waiting on timers - money or digs or research. Which is a shame. Genetic engineering and cascading failures are neat concepts that the game just doesn't do enough with.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The true killer was dinosaur depression.

perc2
May 16, 2020

TGLT posted:

Basically. There's some gesturing towards the idea dinos need different arrangements and there's a few ways you can accidentally set yourself up for total failure, but once you get past that honestly pretty minor hump (don't make dinos sad, don't put carnivores with your herbivores, don't leave doors open) you're mostly just waiting on timers - money or digs or research. Which is a shame. Genetic engineering and cascading failures are neat concepts that the game just doesn't do enough with.

Things every Jurassic Park game needs (if it doesn't have these?)

1) A full on power failure dino outbreak with thousands in the park (insanely clever AI algorithm that ensures only adults die, this is a family movie after all)

2) A minigame involving navigating a crude 3d cyberscape to restore power and lock all the pens

3) Corporate bio-espionage spreadsheets

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

perc2 posted:

2) A minigame involving navigating a crude 3d cyberscape to restore power and lock all the pens

I'd be down for navigating FSN

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is such a great post because Jurassic World Evolution is free today on EGS and is made by Frontier, the guys that made RCT3! But not the actual guys that made that great game, the ones that made the horrible Planet Coaster, so free is a great and probably the only fair price for Jurassic World Evolution!

From everything I've seen it's the same Planet Coaster/Planet Zoo bullshit not-game theme park painter but with dinosaurs.

I did claim a copy of the game, but will almost certainly never play it. Not surprised that it's the product of the shittier half of the team, however.

RCT1 and 2 are games that I love but am utterly terrible at, but me liking them is remarkable because I generally don't like business-sim games. These games just have an aesthetic about them that is colourful and full of levity that really clicks for me. I went so far as to buy a copy of the game for the original Xbox (RCT1 with all the expansions, and amazingly a multilingual version from an era when that was not common), but it was just not playable with a controller. That said, I find the games very hard because, rather than having a "reach this milestone at any time within x years to complete the scenario win condition, it's usually structured as "make sure that these conditions are satisfied at the exact moment that the scenario ends", which I find very difficult as it leads to unintuitive gameplay and Dead Man Walking scenarios that can go on for hours of in-game time. The fact that I struggle to build good coasters and the game forces that in real time also displeases me.

Sorry that small rant there, but I've found myself recently thinking about why I both love and resent these games so much while also being saddened that they have not put out a decent one since 2004. I didn't like RCT3 nearly as much as 1 and 2, but given what came after 3 is a rock star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perc2
May 16, 2020

Len posted:

I'd be down for navigating FSN

God tier