Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Do they even make christmas specials now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fish of hemp posted:

They probably don't air until February, in the same fashion the Halloween episodes don't air until November.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hearing the actors hated the monorail episode is very distressing, as it was one of my favorite episodes.

never meet your heroes, kids :smith:

spaceblancmange posted:

Homer falls down the gorge pretty early on in season 2.

that's season 1 but the example i was gonna pick.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

it's season 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_the_Daredevil

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

huh. seems there were only 13 episodes for season 1. guess that's why i thought it was also part of that season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

The most recent one was a Christmas one

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think the thing is that while the first season has electroshock therapy and Bigfoot, they were in separate episodes (also I guess the Bigfoot gag has some precedence? Idk) whilst most of the gags in the monorail episode are kind of out there even by the standards of season 4 and are also super quick.

Not defending Yeardley Smith and her blue lives matter podcast or whatever, just saying, it's a weird but good episode.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You know in your hearts that if they wanted an action hero or boxer character these days, instead of Drederic Taytum or McBain, we'd get Jason Stathum and Anthony Joshua this time for three lines only, and some other one-off celebrity for the future.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
This is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEfL52XS1eg

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

The low point for me was the episode where Judge Judy ordered Bart and Homer tethered together. I remember the exact gag, they cut the tether and Judge Judy gave them a dirty look from a camera that was in the tether. I watched this episode the night it premiered, and it was the exact point it clicked in my head that the Simpsons wasn't going to be good anymore and that it's recent downturn was going to continue. I remember it in detail because it was traumatic, it was like the moment you realize a family member really is dead and really isn't coming back.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

vaginite posted:

The low point for me was the episode where Judge Judy ordered Bart and Homer tethered together. I remember the exact gag, they cut the tether and Judge Judy gave them a dirty look from a camera that was in the tether.

Ugh, this was so dumb, and I was so dumb to forgive The Simpsons for it. Jane Kaczmarek deserved better.

quote:

I watched this episode the night it premiered, and it was the exact point it clicked in my head that the Simpsons wasn't going to be good anymore and that it's recent downturn was going to continue. I remember it in detail because it was traumatic, it was like the moment you realize a family member really is dead and really isn't coming back.

I still remember that moment, when I watched The Italian Bob. It was just a sad, sinking feeling -- just, wrong. I had that feeling when I saw the "Susan" boil episode of Futurama, the feeling of being forced to let go.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ugh, this was so dumb, and I was so dumb to forgive The Simpsons for it. Jane Kaczmarek deserved better.

I still remember that moment, when I watched The Italian Bob. It was just a sad, sinking feeling -- just, wrong. I had that feeling when I saw the "Susan" boil episode of Futurama, the feeling of being forced to let go.

I checked out a long time before I saw the Itialian Bob one but the Susan Boil episode I know exactly what you mean. When writers take what should be a quick throwaway joke and try to stretch into an episode that's usually the show's death throes.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

vaginite posted:

The low point for me was the episode where Judge Judy ordered Bart and Homer tethered together. I remember the exact gag, they cut the tether and Judge Judy gave them a dirty look from a camera that was in the tether. I watched this episode the night it premiered, and it was the exact point it clicked in my head that the Simpsons wasn't going to be good anymore and that it's recent downturn was going to continue. I remember it in detail because it was traumatic, it was like the moment you realize a family member really is dead and really isn't coming back.

That point for me was the Homer Bowls a Perfect Game episode, where Homer off the cuff decides to commit suicide by jumping off a building, only to be caught by Otto bungie-jumping.

It basically flipped the "nothing will ever really matter from now on" switch for me.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

vaginite posted:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

vaginite posted:

the night-terrors segments with Homer screaming "ah! cooobras!" made me lol out loud, but the rest of that episode was depressingly bad

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

vaginite posted:

I hate that I remember this in the exact same way, with a sense of sudden realization of loss. Like realizing grandma isn't actually seeing you when she looks at you anymore, but is seeing some poorly remembered daydream and she'll never be ok again. This is just who she is now. Simpsons is dementia.

Everywhere at the End of Simpsons is currently in post awareness stage 5.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

:barf: I forgot they named her Constance Pain (e: Harm, just as lovely) ugh.

FlocksOfMice posted:

I hate that I remember this in the exact same way, with a sense of sudden realization of loss. Like realizing grandma isn't actually seeing you when she looks at you anymore, but is seeing some poorly remembered daydream and she'll never be ok again. This is just who she is now. Simpsons is dementia.

Everywhere at the End of Simpsons is currently in post awareness stage 5.

Yeah it's crazy how much the Simpsons meant to everyone. I've revised the stages of grief:

-Denial
-Anger
-Dud memes
-Depression

vaginite fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 29, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

vaginite posted:

I checked out a long time before I saw the Itialian Bob one but the Susan Boil episode I know exactly what you mean. When writers take what should be a quick throwaway joke and try to stretch into an episode that's usually the show's death throes.

The Susan Boil thing is so weird because the rest of the episode is good but the whole thing is instantly dated with that whole bit which was already out of date when it aired.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The thing that also drove me crazy about the Susan Boil thing is that's she's an amazing singer. That's why she's famous, because she looked unassuming and just blew everyone away on whatever show that was originally. Futurama was so mean spirited to her for a lovely pun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which I'm sure she's never heard or had to put up with in her life

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Ive never seen any futurama after 2 of the movies and I always think I should but never hear anything good, should I keep it pure

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Muk Dumpster posted:

Ive never seen any futurama after 2 of the movies and I always think I should but never hear anything good, should I keep it pure

There are a few good ones. "The Late Philip J. Fry" is a must. I liked the series finale as well.

Lotta turds in those seasons though.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

PostNouveau posted:

There are a few good ones. "The Late Philip J. Fry" is a must. I liked the series finale as well.

Lotta turds in those seasons though.

Yeah, there's a bunch of really good newer episodes in the reboot (mostly in the first reboot season). They are mostly really mediocre and unfunny though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Susan Boil episode is absolutely the worst episode of the reboot. And of the whole show really. It does get better, but god that episode is dire and I can't really blame people for checking out after it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

The Susan Boil episode is absolutely the worst episode of the reboot. And of the whole show really. It does get better, but god that episode is dire and I can't really blame people for checking out after it.

Nah, that Saturday morning cartoon anthology.

It was supposed to end the final season like all the anthologies did in the late run and whoever was in charge of that was like "nah we ain't going out like this"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

It was supposed to end the final season like all the anthologies did in the late run and whoever was in charge of that was like "nah we ain't going out like this"

Not a good episode, but I didn't hate it as much as the Susan Boil episode. Different tastes I guess.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah that one was dire. So weird when shows do weak parodies of 70s/80s cartoons as if Adult Swim hadn’t already mined that gold down to the bedrock. Community had that problem too with their GI Joe ep.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The original run of Futurama ended just fine and I have had no interest in anything after that.

The reception of Futurama's comeback answers a question I've had about what the Simpsons would be like if went off the air in the early 00s then had a comeback or been rebooted some years later. Likely would have been better than the 20 years of dreck we got but still not worth it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I caught some "new" Futurama the last time I was in America and it was loving poo poo.

I also always hated the movies though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously though if you watch ONE post-cancellation Futurama thing, make it "The Late Phillip J Fry"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Post-revival Futurama seems super mixed from what I've seen. I suppose some very high highs and low lows. Wasn't the same as the Simpsons where they obviously wrung out every single idea they had.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Not surprised to see a lot of other people checked out with the Susan Boil episode. I wanted to give the reboot an earnest go back when it was first premiering and that one killed my interest dead.

It makes me angry to think of how many hands that had to pass through to reach air. Somebody somewhere was like, "You know who's not going anywhere? Susan Boyle. Trust me on this!" and people agreed.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Peak Futurama wasn't that good. Like season 9-12 Simpsons tier. Lots of extremely first draft jokes. If celebrity cameos in the Simpsons were bad I always particularly hated how much Futurama squandered any sci-fi premise by constantly mining 20th century pop culture.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'd put the peak of Futurama against the peak of Simpsons. Simpsons can't touch Futurama when it comes to emotion. When they're on the top of their game both are hilarious.

The Futurama movies are.... fine, but you should definitely watch the episodes that come after. You'll get one sorta bad one and a bunch of average to good stuff. Loads of good jokes. You'll be alright.

Why is no one talking about Disenchantment-- oh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Imagined posted:

Peak Futurama wasn't that good. Like season 9-12 Simpsons tier. Lots of extremely first draft jokes. If celebrity cameos in the Simpsons were bad I always particularly hated how much Futurama squandered any sci-fi premise by constantly mining 20th century pop culture.

Pretty much the whole joke of Futurama immediately turned into a Jetsons riff that suits its aesthetic of 'Present day, but weirder'.

I watched the episode or at least clips where Bender has (another) son and they go into how and why robots can sexually reproduce as well as being made in factories, and that just came off as weird. It's the kind of thing you see on a convoluted fetish setup... okay we're probably better off not putting any further thought into that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Prime Futurama is a pretty clear step down from prime Simpsons imo. That's not even a knock really, just a near impossible bar to clear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like early Futurama may have benefited from the cast being totally different from the Simpsons in a lot of ways, allowing the writers to use plots and set-ups they might have thought of that wouldn't fit into the Simpsons dynamic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like early Futurama may have benefited from the cast being totally different from the Simpsons in a lot of ways, allowing the writers to use plots and set-ups they might have thought of that wouldn't fit into the Simpsons dynamic.

If nothing else, the cast of Futurama is mostly young adults, whereas the Simpsons only has... Otto? All the Simpsons plots are gonna be stories for kids or stories for parents and old people; Futurama could get plots about the messiness of your 20's where you're supposed to be an independent adult but haven't nailed down what your life's gonna be yet.

Hell, look how much the Simpsons in the more modern eras have stretched to put Bart and Lisa in plots that really want teen characters to play them out. I'm not sure when was the last time they actually acted like 8 and 10 year olds.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The Simpsons needed Roy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the kind of thing you see on a convoluted fetish setup... okay we're probably better off not putting any further thought into that.

Convoluted fetish setups? In my post-revival Futurama? No way!