Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

davebo posted:

What pace have the modular city sets been coming out at? I just started about a month ago and got the book store and assembly square, and it looks like the Diner might still be for sale if I catch it in stock, but the parisian restaurant is long gone with high prices on ebay. I know that police station is coming soon and didn't really want it, although I might get it anyway and just change the sign to say Library or something. I'm just wondering if they usually just do one a year or should I hold off and see what's coming down the pipeline in a few months?
1 per year, released on Jan 1st. So Police Station is next years, so you have a lot of time to pick it up. That said, I think Ninjago Gardens can technically be connected to modular city, as well as the Chinese Lantern Festival set.

That said 100% grab Diner sooner then later. It's a sick modular and I wouldn't be surprised if it retires soon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oxyclean posted:

Brickset has a better resolution scan/picture

Brickset said it's from a Canadian flyer - so that $399 is Canadian. Augh, I already have so many other big sets I wanna get.

Mmm yeah that's the stuff

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Thanks to both of you. I've got Diner on my lego.com watchlist and bookmarked on amazon so I'll just keep checking. That ninjago thing looks interesting, but doesn't seem to fit thematically with the others so I'll stick to the stuff my wife likes having on display. Chinese New Year would be a neat addition though, and I could see trying to make a different animal statue each year being a fun build.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Butterfly Valley posted:

...it wouldn't kill you to know even the most basic facts about your neighbouring countries. I'm British and I still know the rough value of usd vs cad

Why would I need to know the conversion rate for canadian pesos to freedom dollars?

(I say after recently buying a new cartridge for my turntable from the great hinterlands up north)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

Oh man the Gardens looks great.

Not quite seeing how it combines with NC/docks though.

Yeah it's a bit odd. Looks like you'd want to bookend it with the City, with the Docks in the middle, but it also doesn't look like it would line up very well with the docks on the right side of the city, which is where it lines up as a proper continuation of the original set.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I assumed it was meant to go Gardens - City - skcoD but that would be really awkward to display.

Maybe City - skcoD - Gardens?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

My daughter got the Townhouse Toyshop for Christmas, and it's got the little technic connection block in it. Are there other sets besides the Townhouse Petshop that it can connect to?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ugh...January looks $$$.

Gardens, Modular and CNY sets. $1000 out the door. No double VIP until who knows when. I was really hoping the gardens would come out later.

And it's almost the 30th and still no calendar. F you Lego.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

This is the first time I've used Studio from scratch. What a way to kill an entire day, a modern take on Futuron. Rocket pods to smash asteroids, and droids like the old Futuron sets that detach too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Finished the Batwing, what a great build. Like with the Batmobile I was kinda thinking "meh, all black, stupid decision" and that poster being skeptical a couple pages back sorta confirmed this but as I built it it kept getting bigger and more detailed. With the Batwing it took a little longer for it to really "click" but I think I may like it just as much or more than the Batmobile. At first I was confused about the crowbars in the BatEngine ™ but once you finish it they tell you they're to remove the seat so you can wall-mount it It's really neat also the target computer has a minifig outiline, lots of neat little details. veni veni veni was right, they kinda design these around the cockpit. Having the Batmobile in another room and building the Batwing at my desk I kept thinking the Batmobile is bigger, like bigger scaled (even though the seats are the same, the Batwing is just a 1-seater) but as I put them next to each other they compliment each other pretty well. A1 purchase, fun build.

(sorry, haven't quite figured out where to put them just yet so this'll have to do)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Waltzing Along posted:

Ugh...January looks $$$.

Gardens, Modular and CNY sets. $1000 out the door. No double VIP until who knows when. I was really hoping the gardens would come out later.

Sooo... don't buy them all in January?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I am also excited about the botanical sets that come out on Jan 1. Bonsai and flower bouquet.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Nth Doctor posted:

Mmm yeah that's the stuff

I had to take the fishing pole antenna off the top of NC to fit it on my shelf. If that scan is correct, Gardens is ~4" taller than City.

Which means I'm going to need a new shelf.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got a source for a 3x3 printed tile of a mother brain and a 1x2 samus? :smith:

Also since I'm asking for the world, a 1x1 tile with a plus sign printed on it. And trans-clear 2x2 curved tiles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a source for a 3x3 printed tile of a mother brain and a 1x2 samus? :smith:

Also since I'm asking for the world, a 1x1 tile with a plus sign printed on it. And trans-clear 2x2 curved tiles.

Hey I love this and I think it's probably better without printed characters

A tile built mother brain could be great

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

smackfu posted:

I am also excited about the botanical sets that come out on Jan 1. Bonsai and flower bouquet.

Those are Jan 1, too? That's crazy.

E: Now that the calendar is finally out:

No promos listed for the CNY stuff on Jan 10. In fact, CNY isn't even on the calendar. Neither is NCG, which also isn't on the website. I'm guessing that is because it doesn't officially come out until Feb 1.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 30, 2020

WhatAliceFoundThere
Jul 18, 2007
Dressed like a victorian at a swimming pool
The NC garden set just makes me sad that I will never own the NC or Docks sets.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

CommanderApaul posted:

I had to take the fishing pole antenna off the top of NC to fit it on my shelf. If that scan is correct, Gardens is ~4" taller than City.

Which means I'm going to need a new shelf.

Oh drat, I may need one too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat I like that display.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

What I really can't wrap my head around in this photo is why the blue wall on the left is reflecting the display. Is your wall made of blue glass?

Edit: is this a good time for a lego display cabinet derail because after this and that detolf with the Saturn in it a ways back, I would like more.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 30, 2020

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

veni veni veni posted:

drat I like that display.

Thanks, it's my office. I took this pic the one day since March I visited (to drop off the Millennium Falcon and Bookshop among other sets)
Here's the current look of the place:

I have a few things built to add once the after times come like The Razor Crest, the new White House, and a couple Statues of Liberty.

Also Corner Garage will be built by then.

Edit:

davebo posted:

What I really can't wrap my head around in this photo is why the blue wall on the left is reflecting the display. Is your wall made of blue glass?

The wall on the left is indeed glass, the bottom four feet or so are frosted and above it is clear.

The shelves themselves are seven foot tall extra deep Billy's which are unfortunately not made anymore.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 30, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Man, Gardens is gonna look so good it may justify the existence of Docks, just to add some space between Gardens and City. I had Docks for a short while and was disappointed enough that I sold it off and just kept City, but City right next to Gardens might almost be... too much? The sort of neutral flatness of Docks probably helps frame the tall ones much better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All those white bricks next to a window scares me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

All those white bricks next to a window scares me.

It isn't an exterior window, thankfully.

One wall of my office is glass opening to a common area. While windows to the outside are across the area, it's pretty rare to get direct sunlight straight in to my office.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
The cleaning out my collection continues to go well while I'm off from work for a week. A handful of sales have taken more than half of what I had listed to get rid of so far. Now I'm working on taking built sets apart to hopefully sell those too. Problem is with the built sets it's an absolute tasks to get them inventoried and ready for sale. First you have to build it, take good photos, and then take apart and make sure every piece is present. Not much joy in that. While working on it today the funny sets I found was my McDonald's Happy Meal sets I got in one of my garage sale lot purchases; https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Mcdonalds/year-1989. I even have a few of the instructions for the Happy Meal sets. I have no clue why I held onto them, they're pretty much worthless and I don't even like McDonalds. Quit eating McDonalds over 15 years ago now.

As the inventory lowers I did go ahead and lower the minimum buy. One person here said they weren't a fan of what I had so I thought I'd let you know. Also, no new news on the one person who thought since they talked all official they'd get to rip me off. I assume they did turn me in to the admins of the site because of how they acted, but no one has reached out to me. Perhaps the admins told him to piss off.

Regarding the new gardens set. Now that I've seen it I don't really feel like I missed out on the Docks set. Of course if you feel like you missed out on the Docks now is the time to buy as I suspect the price will only go up from here.

Earth fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 31, 2020

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, have you seen these tattered sails that someone on ebay makes for the set? (not mine & no affiliation) Been seeing em on Reddit and it seems pretty great, since that way you won't have to curl up and therefore possibly bend or warp the sails that come with it, which makes them sometimes not look so great when you convert the set to intact ship mode.

Mine arrived today, I must say they are well worth the cash for anyone considering them. Comes with the four main sails in the picture, and a tattered jib not pictured. Now my curlled up sails can enjoy a nice rest under some heavy books.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hell yeah, I got the set for Xmas and haven’t built it yet so this is great

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just a heads up to US goons:

If you want the Police Station, the bonsai, the flowers or any of the new adult oriented sets, it is probably best to buy them ASAP. Like as soon as they go on the webstore. There is still a big lack of things to buy so anything new is likely to garner even more attention than normal.

Even if you weren't planning on purchasing immediately, if it is something you want soonish, just do it now. Or in 24 hours.

It's possible things won't sell out, but it is definitely still a gamble.

With that said, for the gardens, since those go on sale to VIPs early, is it possible they will sell out and not have any left on feb 1? I am sure retail will get some, but the webstore itself? It seems like a toss up.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
A friend asked for a pod for the baby yoda minifig, so I took a crack. This is as small as I could get it.

If anyone thinks they can do an even leaner one, please let me know!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I dunno about „smaller“ but that looks kickass already. Would buy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zwille posted:

I dunno about „smaller“ but that looks kickass already. Would buy.

Thanks! Here's the parts list and instructions if you're interested.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks! I may just have most of the pieces leftover albeit probably the wrong colors. :v:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zwille posted:

Thanks! I may just have most of the pieces leftover albeit probably the wrong colors. :v:

Speaking of, those printed slope pieces are ridic to find it seems after looking on bricklink, I'd just sub em out for unprinted ones. And the white 1x1 bracket would look fine in light grey too since that can also be a bit tricky to find.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ha, every time. Every time.

A week or two ago, I finished a stage of the technic bugatti, one technic peg short - I checked around my desk, on the floor, in the bags, couldn't find it anywhere. I used a spare from the previous bag. This morning, I notice a black peg sitting just at the edge of the base of my second monitor stand. I guess it managed to sneak under and only just rolled out.

That said, between the bugatti and the rough terrain crane having many stages that had no spare technic pegs or similar parts, I get really paranoid when I finish a stage and find myself with two spare pegs.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

Even if you weren't planning on purchasing immediately, if it is something you want soonish, just do it now. Or in 24 hours.

Do we know when tomorrow they actually go online? Should be ready to pounce when the Times Square ball drops or just check around lunchtime EST? Making plans now to turn the station into a library. Between that, the bookstore and the newsstand it will definitely be a city that reads.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Uhhh

https://twitter.com/konklone/status/1344445394021859328

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's part of the new industrial tier power functions line.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Just a heads up to US goons

This seems a bit extreme. You do realize they’re not turning off the assembly line that makes these things, right? If not tomorrow, another day.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

davebo posted:

Do we know when tomorrow they actually go online? Should be ready to pounce when the Times Square ball drops or just check around lunchtime EST? Making plans now to turn the station into a library. Between that, the bookstore and the newsstand it will definitely be a city that reads.
Typically new sets go live around midnight, and the site can get kinda swamped. It's anyones guess how long stock maintains.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

This seems a bit extreme. You do realize they’re not turning off the assembly line that makes these things, right? If not tomorrow, another day.
Sure, but I think their point is if you want one anytime soon, you probably want to get an order in asap. The Ecto-1 has been out of stock since like a week after it dropped. Also with shipping delays in mind, I'm assuming I won't actually get the thing till Feburary if I place a order at midnight. Which is fine, but I figure that's going to be around the time I want a new set anyways. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Lego sets aren't as fun if you buy them 6 months after launch, it's science.