Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fnox posted:

To be fair, absolutely nobody is following the FHM guidelines. Triangeln was packed yesterday with less than a tenth of people wearing masks. I had to loving swerve from a guy and his kid who both sneezed right on the entrance. I was there to pick up an order I made online, but nearly everyone there was window shopping.

This "personal responsibility" poo poo clearly doesn't work, nor has it ever worked, because it's stupid to expect people to do something inconvenient to them if there's no consequences to not doing it.

Depends on what your goal is. "Personal responsibility" is reasonably effective at shifting blame from government to citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I am continually impressed at how idiotic the handling of the pandemic is in some places here in DK.

Mid-December, the government opted to close all shopping centers and (shortly after) all shops that aren't grocery stores. This was cool and good. The implementation of that order has been less than satisfactory. I have a local Fakta with a very tiny shopping center attached (basically just a 20 meter long hallway with shops on either side). To follow the shutdown order, this hallway and the associated entrance to Fakta has been blocked off. This causes that Fakta to have only one entrance, which is the fairly long narrow wheelchair-friendly ramp, so now everyone entering or exiting the store has to walk past each other on this narrow ramp.

This is kind of a dumb way to implement the "close shopping centers" order, but I thought it was just an unfortunate consequence of the order being strict.

I went to a much larger shopping center (Storcenter Nord) today to pick up a package, with the expectation that the center would be largely closed. Instead, all the grocery stores and take-away places in the center are still open, including large shops like Føtex. As far as I could tell, no part of the shopping center has actually been closed, they've just shut the smaller specialty stores. There were hundreds of shoppers there, I don't think the shutdown order has affected traffic through that shopping center at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The supposed shopping center shutdown is a bit of miscommunication. They have to shut down most stores, like anywhere else, but grocery stores are still supposed to be open, including those in shopping centers. The idea is to reduce to just the essential stores, not completely shut them down. Otherwise a lot of people would lose their primary/only practical way to shop for groceries.

And of course the really big stores like Bilka are a-OK with this, since they can still sell clothes and electronics and stuff, but dedicated smaller stores have to be shut down. So it's just further consolidating market share towards the behemoths.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 30, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Irma was loving packed today. Also my neighbours are visiting family (like 5 households with children plus grandparents) and celebrating new years with friends.

Also I notice a lot of coffee places are open, I guess coffee is groceries?

Anyways, number goes up, that's a good thing, right?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Sure, keeping grocery stores open makes sense. I'm mostly rolling my eyes at how one tiny shopping center has been closed off in a way that is likely to increase infections, while another much larger center hasn't been closed off in any meaningful way.

At Storcenter Nord, you would think they could at least try to control how many people are piling into the center at a time. The density of shoppers I saw today is higher than I've seen since the start of the pandemic. I think there is supposed to be a limit on how many people should be allowed into a store at a time, based on the store's floor space, but people seemed fairly tightly packed anyway.

Edit: Coffee probably falls under take-away.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Katt posted:

Whatever happened to postförskott?

You used to be able to order stuff online and then pay in cash where you collected them.

Maybe Coop got tired of handling tens of thousands of SEK for services they were making pennies on :v:

I can tell you why one of the largest consumer electronics retailers quit offering postförskott. People would place a bunch of orders in someone else's name for, say, iPads or something fairly costly, and pick people in the same area to ensure that all the packages would go to say the same ICA store. Once they'd determined (with the tracking #s) that the iPads were all there, they'd break into the store at night and steal all the packages with the Major Consumer Electronics Retailer logo on 'em.

After a while this poo poo got old and we quit offering it as an option.

The retailer I currently work for quit offering it since a significant # of orders were never picked up. Better to grab the money up front.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So the private test centers apparently offer their workers zero hour contracts. No crisis without a little shock therapy, I guess.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

So the private test centers apparently offer their workers zero hour contracts. No crisis without a little shock therapy, I guess.
Gotta make sure they hide their symptoms and come in when scheduled, you see.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A county in Norway has now begun demanding that any somali-norwegians has to test negative for corona in order to work, regardless if they have symptoms or have been in contact with someone with covid-19.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Alhazred posted:

A county in Norway has now begun demanding that any somali-norwegians has to test negative for corona in order to work, regardless if they have symptoms or have been in contact with someone with covid-19.

Please tell me that this County is led by frp mayor or worse, an please name names of the assholes that promote this poo poo

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Labour leads a centre-left"red and green" coalition in Stavanger. Frp sits with the opposition tough i am sure they dont mind this particular policy.

There are times when profiling is necessary, but the infection spread would have to exceptionally worse among Somalis to justify it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's loving enraging watching competent leadership abroad

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1345210393715564544?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

where can i read about this?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

where can i read about this?

https://www.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/i/bnX7qv/stavanger-krever-at-somaliere-koronatester-seg-foer-de-gaar-paa-jobb

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baudolino posted:

There are times when profiling is necessary

Feel free to expand on this:allears:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

that article posted:

Over 220 personer har blitt bekreftet smittet i Stavanger siden lille julaften. Flere av disse har somalisk bakgrunn.

That's not potentially misleading in any way. It could be 2 people or 100, with the former probably being close to right and the latter being the intended reading. Stupid racist media.

Also the timing is probably bullshit, all the Christmas visit and new year's celebration cases are not going to feature heavily enough when counting from the 23rd. If any demographic should be kept home, it's the Christmas celebraters.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

demanding foreign workers test on entry into the country is a form of profiling, and not doing that was a big mistake for which the government has been rightly getting shat on

this seems like an unfortunate practice, though - singling out people based on ethnicity seems ill-advised at best

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Profiling rich danes returning from ski vacations in Austria and demanding they get tested before leaving quarantine would have massively slowed down infection rates.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

demanding foreign workers test on entry into the country is a form of profiling, and not doing that was a big mistake for which the government has been rightly getting shat on

this seems like an unfortunate practice, though - singling out people based on ethnicity seems ill-advised at best
Eh, just quarantine and test anyone on entry. Like, I'm not sure why citizens should be considered less of a risk.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Eh, just quarantine and test anyone on entry. Like, I'm not sure why citizens should be considered less of a risk.
Exactly

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Profiling rich danes returning from ski vacations in Austria and demanding they get tested before leaving quarantine would have massively slowed down infection rates.

Build a wall around Nordsjælland imo. Kokkedal can have a corridor.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
loving hell, I hoped that it wasn’t a red green alliance being dickbags. Rapidly losing a bit more faith in humanity

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A anti tollroad party is also involved in the governing coalition. If that makes you feel any better.

This was administrative decision not something elected officals came up with. Remember Yes minister? Stavanger is governed alot like that. Rådmannen (the top civil servant) decides and the politicans play catch up. Sometimes they have their way over him, but often not. So this decision would have been made even if Red had every council seat in Stavanger.

Lenin and Kozmo brougth up great examples of when ethnic profiling can be justified. When there is a acute need to act to prevent harm but insufficent time and money to do a proper case by case evaluation it can be the rigth decision. I am not saying this particular decision was justified. But it migth be, depending on the facts. Every time i see a homeless looking and smelling person i do keep an extra distance. Just in case. Thats profiling too. Its not bigotry every single time that it happens.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this does smell like the admin just doing a thing and the politicians not catching it - most politicians will have the instincts to see that this is bad news - but that still doesn't speak very highly of the local elected officials imo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"I'm not a bigot, I just make an effort to avoid people that look like they're homeless" is certainly a take.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Who wants to talk tax policy? Recently I read Finanspolitiska rådets report "Ett enklare och effektivare skattesystem" and there's some stuff in there that seems good, some that seems bad and some that I don't know what to think about. The January coalition agreed that a tax reform should be done but this is only a study, not a proposal.

Some interesting tidbits as I see it are:

- Reduce the number of exceptions and special cases and have one basic tax rate for both salaries and capital gains. Jobbskatteavdrag and such things go away. Fair enough.

- Massively increase the minimum taxable income (grundavdraget). This makes a lot of sense to me, there's not much sense in taxing extremely low incomes only to then turn around and hand tax money back in the form of welfare of various kinds.

- Property taxation on bostadsrätter is moved from the housing association to the individual apartment owner, and raised, to make renting less did-advantaged from a tax perspective. This won't be popular for sure, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all. You can also deduct the property taxes you've paid while owning the apartment from the taxes you'll have to pay when selling the apartment at a profit.

- Unified VAT at 21% - no more VAT subsidies for restaurants and entertainment. VAT is regressive so I don't like it in principle but I don't know if there's much that can be done here.

- Significantly lowered marginal tax rates at high income tax brackets. I don't like this but with all the whining about WoRlD'S HiGhEsT TaX rAtEs I guess it's unavoidable.

There's a lot more in there as well, especially regarding capital gains taxes and the 3:12 rules which affect mainly small business owners, but I'm on mobile and can't be arsed to type more right now. Might come back and post some diagrams and more details later.

The entire thing is supposed to be basically neutral for the state, while benefitting mostly the lowest income citizens (but also the highest income citizens for some reason).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 5, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's bad for a number of reasons, but if I'm going to keep it short:

Effectively doubling VAT on food and quadrupling it for public transit is a horrible idea

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MiddleOne posted:

Effectively doubling VAT on food and quadrupling it for public transit is a horrible idea

I would have appreciated a longer post since I know you know a lot more about this than I do, but I agree that's an awful regressive part of it.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

They should just make such necessities VAT exempt just like rent already is. Then they can still keep their spreadsheets neat without loving over everyone who makes less than 40k. I would be ok with the reform then.

Just raise the top marginal rate +1% to compensate. I promise not to cry about it as long as i dont get guilliotined.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alhazred posted:

Are they getting 100% compensations in the meanwhile? Because I would gladly take that deal. Otoh certain circles might object to Somalis being paid and not having to work.

A mandatory and discriminatory quarantine that leaves people on nothing but whatever basic social subsidy anyone can get doesn't sound enforceable.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 5, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Inget stopp på bussen för resenärer utan munskydd
https://svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/inget-stopp-pa-bussen-for-resenarer-utan-munskydd

Over/under how will rates of mask usage change after the 7th on public transit? Can’t wait to commute to and from work, especially unnecessarily because there’s no more WFH for the foreseeable future

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

I would have appreciated a longer post since I know you know a lot more about this than I do, but I agree that's an awful regressive part of it.

It's a long story but a key of the problem is the boomer economists over-estimating the effects of decreasing upper-tax rates and simultaneously underestimating the effects of hiking VAT. That and any reform increasing capital or property taxes (be it straight or 3:12) ever being possible with the current government coalition.

EDIT: Generally, I would be skeptical of any economist advising tax reform on the basis of legitimacy. The first thing to happen after the last tax reform was the enactors being ran out of government.

For anyone not ominous of the works of todays mainstream swedish economists, I would advise the works of Sven Grassman: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Grassman

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 5, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

- Significantly lowered marginal tax rates at high income tax brackets. I don't like this but with all the whining about WoRlD'S HiGhEsT TaX rAtEs I guess it's unavoidable.
lol

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

teen witch posted:

Inget stopp på bussen för resenärer utan munskydd
https://svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/inget-stopp-pa-bussen-for-resenarer-utan-munskydd

Over/under how will rates of mask usage change after the 7th on public transit? Can’t wait to commute to and from work, especially unnecessarily because there’s no more WFH for the foreseeable future
This morning I got an e-mail from Västtrafik informing me I should consider wearing a mask if I commute during rush hour. Such a bold and strong move.

Also:

quote:

Vi vill fokusera på det vi är duktiga på, det vill säga köra kollektivtrafik på ett tryggt och bra sätt
:roflolmao:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The Danish right wing has been in tatters since the last election (and even quite a while before that), let's see what their largest think tank has to offer as a collective focus to get them out of the current situation:
https://twitter.com/CEPOS/status/1346075357867364352

I'm assuming this is intended for after the pandemic is over...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

The Danish right wing has been in tatters since the last election (and even quite a while before that), let's see what their largest think tank has to offer as a collective focus to get them out of the current situation:
https://twitter.com/CEPOS/status/1346075357867364352

I'm assuming this is intended for after the pandemic is over...

Hvor skal pengene komme fra?

I know the answer is austerity, but seriously, that's just "let's lower the state's income".

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Might as well get rid of the inheritance tax because at least in Sweden it was something that only poor people paid before they got rid of it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I see no mention of getting rid of the 17,000 DKK annual tax write-off for donating to CEPOS.

:thunk:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Katt posted:

Might as well get rid of the inheritance tax because at least in Sweden it was something that only poor people paid before they got rid of it.

So because rich people found a way to cheat, we might as well not do a reasonable thing? Why not abolish income tax with the save reasoning?

I'm massively in favour of inheritance tax because inheritance by definition is getting something you didn't work for, but get just because of who your parents are. Like, when my mom dies, I'll get like 2-3 million in real estate because she lives in a house in Copenhagen. But when my (hypothetical, I don't actually have an example) friend whose parents are renters die, she gets gently caress all because her parents blew their savings (like my mom is doing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BonHair posted:

So because rich people found a way to cheat, we might as well not do a reasonable thing? Why not abolish income tax with the save reasoning?

I'm massively in favour of inheritance tax because inheritance by definition is getting something you didn't work for, but get just because of who your parents are. Like, when my mom dies, I'll get like 2-3 million in real estate because she lives in a house in Copenhagen. But when my (hypothetical, I don't actually have an example) friend whose parents are renters die, she gets gently caress all because her parents blew their savings (like my mom is doing).

That's a very cherry picked example when compared to the other 95% of cases where the mom dies and she has a house or an apartment with a big loan on it that the children can't move into because they'd have to loan another 20% on it to even live there.

Has any country ever been able to enforce inheritance tax where it didn't almost exclusively land solely on workers?