Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I want to paint a mini for a friend of mine who's really into World of Warcraft (at, like, top tier guild level). I'm going to use this Reaper mini to paint a sort of Demon as they exist in the game.

I don't really like the way demons in the game though, except the typical "Diablo-like" red and black. But this scheme is too close to a Red Dragon for my taste, so I'd like instead to go more the Demon Hunter route because I find their paint scheme really good. These are examples I like:

I'm not exactly sure how to make a mini look like this. I'm afraid it'll look too pink and ridiculous. I think my favorite though is the very first picture, which seem to be like a grey-blue base with some purple highlights.

I was thinking to use a very dark blue as the base (spray from the bottom), mix in some dark purple, then add some lighter grey for most of the skin and highlight with a lighter grey-blue.

Would that work? I'm not used to pick colors (until now I was just winging it and pick what looked good to me) but now I'm trying to learn how to think ahead of time.

It feels like dark blue/purple/blue-ish grey would go well together, even if I then try some green OSL on top.

Would anyone have any advice? Am I on the right track or is this a terrible idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Your best bet is to probably go for a Metamorphosis form instead of straight Demon Hunter, because the latter is specifically an elf so it'll look strange for a WoW player to see a big bulky demon in elf colouration.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So something more like this?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

merry christmas goons.

heres some Night Lords Ive done recently:

some bikes

some tac marines

and a custom Nakrid Thole (new character from Heresy book 9)

and this one for funsies

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

rad

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Night Lords fuckin own

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Night Lords fuckin own

Hell yeah brother.

Thanks both of you

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Furism posted:

I want to paint a mini for a friend of mine who's really into World of Warcraft (at, like, top tier guild level). I'm going to use this Reaper mini to paint a sort of Demon as they exist in the game.

I don't really like the way demons in the game though, except the typical "Diablo-like" red and black. But this scheme is too close to a Red Dragon for my taste, so I'd like instead to go more the Demon Hunter route because I find their paint scheme really good. These are examples I like:

I'm not exactly sure how to make a mini look like this. I'm afraid it'll look too pink and ridiculous. I think my favorite though is the very first picture, which seem to be like a grey-blue base with some purple highlights.

I was thinking to use a very dark blue as the base (spray from the bottom), mix in some dark purple, then add some lighter grey for most of the skin and highlight with a lighter grey-blue.

Would that work? I'm not used to pick colors (until now I was just winging it and pick what looked good to me) but now I'm trying to learn how to think ahead of time.

It feels like dark blue/purple/blue-ish grey would go well together, even if I then try some green OSL on top.

Would anyone have any advice? Am I on the right track or is this a terrible idea?

Do you have an airbrush? If so I think you could replicate that first one pretty easily by using a cool grey-blue tone for the skin and then doing a sort of zenithal shadow application with a colder blue-purple tone. You could do it with a brush too but that sort of "underlit" look would be pretty trivial with an airbrush vs. much more time-consuming and technical with a brush.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So probably a week of soaking in LA's awesome cleaner with some intermittent toothbrushing and ultrasonic-ing.

The one in the middle is probably the most un-stripped of the bunch and its probably mostly because I overloaded the cleaner while running it and the "waves" were reaching it. All in all a pretty low effort way to strip them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Furism posted:

So something more like this?

Yeah, that's the Tank specialization of Metamorphosis, the DPS version is this one:

It's the same idea, the skin turns very dark purple, the green fel tattoos become more prominent and the body becomes more demonic. That's only if you care about being lore appropriate though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Double Posting cause why not

https://imgur.com/gallery/HhI2CFk

Someone translated this Chinese guide that's been floating around for a while, now everyone can fix GW's mistakes!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did some daemons (sound)

https://twitter.com/Squigledorf/status/1343026057893441536?s=19

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Double Posting cause why not

https://imgur.com/gallery/HhI2CFk

Someone translated this Chinese guide that's been floating around for a while, now everyone can fix GW's mistakes!

Do you have the original Chinese?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Much appreciated!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Going oldhammer with this 1984 citadel skeleton.
This guy is pre-slotta so I left the name showing from the metal base.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hell yeah that's rad

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do you have an airbrush? If so I think you could replicate that first one pretty easily by using a cool grey-blue tone for the skin and then doing a sort of zenithal shadow application with a colder blue-purple tone. You could do it with a brush too but that sort of "underlit" look would be pretty trivial with an airbrush vs. much more time-consuming and technical with a brush.

Yes I do have an airbrush and what you described is pretty much what I was going to do. For the shadows (I'll spray from below) I was thinking of a very dark blue (VGC Night Blue), then lighten it up a little bit, and spray that at a barely higher angle. Then do the bulk of the body with the "cool grey-blue" that you describe but I'm not sure which one to pick. I'll just go to the store and figure it out I guess. I think I'll do a zenithal highlight using white ink, then a dark purple over that so it's really saturated. I feel I really need to push the contrast to the max.

Sounds like I might be on the right track then?

Eej posted:

Yeah, that's the Tank specialization of Metamorphosis, the DPS version is this one:

It's the same idea, the skin turns very dark purple, the green fel tattoos become more prominent and the body becomes more demonic. That's only if you care about being lore appropriate though.

Thanks for the confirmation! I think I'll go with that, although it's really not going to be lore accurate (the model has got 4 arms, for a start), but I think my friend will appreciate the gesture nonetheless!

And the fel tattoos seem like a perfect place to start practicing glowing runes and light OSL!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
There’s no way I’m going to get to get any under coat/airbrushing done until April unless I get something like this

https://www.rutlands.com/sp+more-spraying-spraying-accessories-airbrush-spray-booth-particle-vapour-extractor-rutlands+dk6723

Any opinions?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They’re great if you’re airbrushing in a small space.

I use a literal converted cupboard as my hobby space, and it’s very useful when I’m spraying varnishes which atomise so finely they’ll hang in the air for minutes if I’m not using it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

the fart question posted:

There’s no way I’m going to get to get any under coat/airbrushing done until April unless I get something like this

https://www.rutlands.com/sp+more-spraying-spraying-accessories-airbrush-spray-booth-particle-vapour-extractor-rutlands+dk6723

Any opinions?

Pretty much use one of these year round. You'll need to switch the blue foam intermittently. It's on aliexpress if you just want to buy a big precut brick of it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

the fart question posted:

Any opinions?

Literally just ordered one yesterday with my Christmas money :v:

this is the one I got though.

Pretty excited for it to arrive either way

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting some MCP models I finished up!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Over the holiday break I added in Cyclops & Sabertooth to my MCP roster. Storm coming in next, followed by Beast & Mystique!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Furism posted:

Yes I do have an airbrush and what you described is pretty much what I was going to do. For the shadows (I'll spray from below) I was thinking of a very dark blue (VGC Night Blue), then lighten it up a little bit, and spray that at a barely higher angle. Then do the bulk of the body with the "cool grey-blue" that you describe but I'm not sure which one to pick. I'll just go to the store and figure it out I guess. I think I'll do a zenithal highlight using white ink, then a dark purple over that so it's really saturated. I feel I really need to push the contrast to the max.

Sounds like I might be on the right track then?

Thanks for the confirmation! I think I'll go with that, although it's really not going to be lore accurate (the model has got 4 arms, for a start), but I think my friend will appreciate the gesture nonetheless!

And the fel tattoos seem like a perfect place to start practicing glowing runes and light OSL!

Yep, that sounds pretty much exactly how I would do it! I think the key to matching that aesthetic is gonna be going hard on the contrast and saturation like you said.

For a skin tone, assuming you're using Citadel paints, probably Daemonette Hide or The Fang depending on if you prefer the more purple-ish skin or the colder blue tone?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I screwed up and I based in off white instead if something like ivory so my cold bone feel looks like unprimed plastic. I don't know how to feel about it because I think it looks nice but it's not what I originally intended and also it looks like unprimed plastic.

e:

Homer: Aww, an unpainted model? I wanted it to look like bone!
Homer Brain: An unpainted model can be painted into any kind of model you like, even bone!

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 29, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

merry christmas goons.

heres some Night Lords Ive done recently:

some bikes

some tac marines

and a custom Nakrid Thole (new character from Heresy book 9)

and this one for funsies

ace work on these, as usual, m8

Skails posted:

Going oldhammer with this 1984 citadel skeleton.
This guy is pre-slotta so I left the name showing from the metal base.

I dig this!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok, modified Bjorn to now be a wulfen dread. Bjorn is cool but i'm rarely going to run the dread as him. The axe/shield dread is just so durable.
Picked up some Vallejo Metal Color paints last weekend and took magnesium and jet exhaust for a spin. I'm totally hooked, they look absolutely fantastic out of the pot and go on so easily. Oh and the ice recipe is just a simple vallejo blue-green, gulliman blue glaze used as a wash, then drybrush p3 frostbite. Simple as usual.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Xpost from 30klandia

Major Spag posted:

One day I'll get faces done good every time...but not today.

Also, loving amazing as usual Hixson.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Eej posted:

I screwed up and I based in off white instead if something like ivory so my cold bone feel looks like unprimed plastic. I don't know how to feel about it because I think it looks nice but it's not what I originally intended and also it looks like unprimed plastic.

e:

Homer: Aww, an unpainted model? I wanted it to look like bone!
Homer Brain: An unpainted model can be painted into any kind of model you like, even bone!

You should use the same orange you did on your necrons on his eyes, it'd be extremely striking

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You should use the same orange you did on your necrons on his eyes, it'd be extremely striking

Thinking about it, not sure if I want to have two armies of off-white with orange eyes though but hey, it's not like anyone's barging into my house to judge right

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
it's taken me a year but I have 1/3 of my Field of Glory Napoleonic (2nd ed) Anglo-Portuguese army...based. And I have a question - what colour should I make the base?

The army colours are a mess. Dark Green Riflemen and Loyal Lustrian Legion. Red line infantry regiments. Blue Portuguese and Spanish infantry and Militia. Blue and red cavalry. Later on I need to add some white and grey Guerrillas. And my terrain mat is a bright light and dark green.

I'm thinking...yellow? Dry brush the stone and brownish yellow? Anyone got a suggestion?

The army units (Peninsula Anglo-Portuguese) is green/blue/red. I used grey as the base because it's all I've got, but I don't know what to drybrush or wash it with. Yellow maybe? I have some yellow or green grass tuffs to put on it. It looks very dark otherwise.

I think I'll do the outside of the base in light green, to match the green cloth sheet I have.
Apart from the very badly painted Portuguese which are Eureka AB figures, all the rest are painted battalions from https://www.stonewallfigures.co.uk washed with Nuln Oil (probably should have done Angrash Earthshade).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 29, 2020

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I know some of you lunatics must paint tiny space ships.

I picked up some full thrust ships from Ground Zero Games and the quality is frustrating. We're beyond flash territory into what I can only call crud. In some cases I'm half sculpting my own minis out of lead with an exacto knife. I can paint them and they're going to look alright, but it's going to be tedious covering up all the defects. I think it might be just the age of some of the molds.

Does anyone have experience with space ship manufactures that aren't awful?

Dropfleet commander is beautiful but the scale looks to be much larger than what I'd like, although maybe I could stick to their smaller ships. I know Brigade Models do space ships and they look like what I'd love but now I'm paranoid - anyone have any experience? Ravenstar Studio's Cold Navy? Is 3d printing how people do space ships these days?

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 29, 2020

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I picked up some full thrust ships from Ground Zero Games and the quality is frustrating. We're beyond flash territory into what I can only call crud. In some cases I'm half sculpting my own minis out of lead with an exacto knife. I can paint them and they're going to look alright, but it's going to be tedious covering up all the defects. I think it might be just the age of some of the molds.

Dropfleet commander is beautiful but the scale looks to be much larger than what I'd like, although maybe I could stick to their smaller ships. I know Brigade Models do space ships and they look like what I'd love but now I'm paranoid - anyone have any experience? Ravenstar Studio's Cold Navy? Is 3d printing how people do space ships these days?

Is Dropfleet really too big? Most of the ships are like 2-4 inches long and even the giganto ones aren't any bigger than a Raider or a Falcon or w/e in 40k. It's about the same scale as BFG.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Batch painted some assault intercessors, really happy with how the sergeant came out. I think i'm getting the hang of getting them done quickly.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Finished up Champion for the armored skeleton command

Here’s the rest of the crew so far. Gonna fill this unit out to 10

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Skails posted:

Finished up Champion for the armored skeleton command

Here’s the rest of the crew so far. Gonna fill this unit out to 10

This is glorious

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Those are great, very John Blanche

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Do any of you guys have some neat pictures of Blood Bowl dark elves? I'm painting up a team, but I'm a bit unsure of what all the various bits are, where they begin and end, etc. and the box art isn't much to go by, since they're all just uniformly dark purple.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

inscrutable horse posted:

Do any of you guys have some neat pictures of Blood Bowl dark elves? I'm painting up a team, but I'm a bit unsure of what all the various bits are, where they begin and end, etc. and the box art isn't much to go by, since they're all just uniformly dark purple.

I love the DE BB sculpts. Been playing BB forever and the original ones are so iconic to me. Here are some pics of the original sculpts.
https://wotfudboy.blogspot.com/2017/11/dark-elves-blood-bowl-team.html?m=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It sounds like most of the ships are larger than you want, but here's some of the smaller ship classes from Dropfleet if you want to get a more exact size idea on them and they're more what you're looking for.