Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Quorum posted:

There is, but it's imaginary.

I wouldn't describe elements as imaginary. Any arbitrary number of neutrons, protons, and electrons can make an elemental atom.

Some such elements can, however, be entirely synthetic and prone to splitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guavanaut posted:

e: Also there should be an element called Belgium.

If you try to experiment with it, British people shoot you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

It's strange that none of the other classical planets got elements, when all of them traditionally had metals attached.

Sun and moon were associated with gold and silver before they had helium and selenium named after them. Mercury has kept its original association, but nothing for the rest.

You mean the classical god-named planets like Uranus (uranium), Neptune (neptunium) and Pluto (plutonium)?

The politically loaded part of this is me including Pluto as a planet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The classical planets are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Sun, and Moon.

These are the objects that are permanent features of the sky and move against the star field.

Uranus is technically visible to the naked eye, but not by much and it took a century and a half after the advent of the telescope for it to be identified as a planet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh, I didn't know that because I don't know poo poo about astronomy, I thought he meant the planets named for classical gods :downs:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, the classical planets, those that could be seen unaided and so were associated with elements since antiquity.

Uranus was only discovered in the 1780s, as was uranium, so they were named by association, more "check out this new science poo poo" than "as above, so below."

e:f;b

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The city I live in has an element named after it. It caused the city to name a really dumb looking conference centre after it, and the nearby parts of the city are full of dumb looking signs leading there. Don't let this happen to you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The North American Numbering Plan doesn’t allow area codes starting with ‘1’, but only because of technical reasons relating to pulse dialling.

The point is that area code 116 is unassigned and should be given to Livermore, California.

There’s precedent in assigning 321 to Cape Kennedy.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i dont think you need a telescope to see uranus

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Space Kablooey posted:

i dont think you need a telescope to see uranus

Nah, probably just a mirror.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

You felt it in Serbia? It was really bad in Zagreb, everything swaying for a loooong time. Several dead and many injured in Petrinja and Glina, many rendered homeless. 2020 just keeps on trucking until the very end, I guess.

It did a bit of a shake in Hungary. Some Finnish late-night TV is filmed there to countervent laws and union deals.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

HookShot posted:

Oh, I didn't know that because I don't know poo poo about astronomy, I thought he meant the planets named for classical gods :downs:

People use to be experts on the sky. Looking at the sky many hours and learning it like we know the layout of our city.

Planets where a weird feature because they would move on their own following a track and doing funny movements, so they where like "wanderers" of the sky.

Modern people look at the sky much less and the sky is often blocked by light pollution, so we don't have that intimacy with the stars map.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

VictualSquid posted:

The city I live in has an element named after it. It caused the city to name a really dumb looking conference centre after it, and the nearby parts of the city are full of dumb looking signs leading there. Don't let this happen to you.

berkelium is wasted on Berkeley.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Tei posted:

People use to be experts on the sky. Looking at the sky many hours and learning it like we know the layout of our city.

Planets where a weird feature because they would move on their own following a track and doing funny movements, so they where like "wanderers" of the sky.

Modern people look at the sky much less and the sky is often blocked by light pollution, so we don't have that intimacy with the stars map.

The forums are our sky and your posts are the stars Tei

Shark actually applied to loan sharks before it referred to the fish. Fun fact that I did not know

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

English shark and German Schurke are cognates - it's super obvious when you think about it, and yet :aaaaa:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Shark actually applied to loan sharks before it referred to the fish. Fun fact that I did not know

Sea dog? But that means seal in several languages. That's gonna lead to some confusion.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

In Somali sharks are sea-lions

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

PawParole posted:

In Somali sharks are sea-lions

What do they call actual sea lions?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Did iberians just not have a word for sharks before they colonised america?

Also lol that the root for so many languages is just the old norse word for shark (which emerged wholly formed from the ether)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

What do they call actual sea lions?

don’t exist in the Indian Ocean. Dugongs do, and they're called small whales, or in folktales, mermaids.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 30, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hai
Hai
Haai

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also lol that the root for so many languages is just the old norse word for shark (which emerged wholly formed from the ether)

I've read that it might come from proto-Germanic *hanh, 'plough' (cf. Sanskrit śaṅkúḥ for 'sharp plough, wooden nail' but also 'water animal' probably due to the common shape of ploughs and fins, Gothic hōha, 'plough' or Old High German huochilī(n), 'small plow') which might in turn go back to PIE *k̑ā̌k or *k̑ank, 'branch, twig, wooden peg'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This article says says “no no no the English word ‘shark’ comes from Mayan xoc”.

e: O.K. so there’s a problem with this etymology and that is that apparently a text has been found calling the sea creature “shark” in English in 1442. Linked source is here, but it’s either paywalled or linkrotted.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 30, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

:same:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

This article says says “no no no the English word ‘shark’ comes from Mayan xoc”.

e: O.K. so there’s a problem with this etymology and that is that apparently a text has been found calling the sea creature “shark” in English in 1442. Linked source is here, but it’s either paywalled or linkrotted.

Sounds like that's proof that Turkish explorers found the Americas first, came back, gave words to English, built some mosques in Cuba, and then hid it for 600 years until uncovered by Erdogan.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The wayback machine has a copy of the link: https://web.archive.org/web/20130820110832/http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/m/mec/med-idx?type=id&id=MED39794&egs=all&egdisplay=open. The text in question goes:

quote:

Circiter horam vijam in sero per æstimationem navem sequebatur piscis vocatus le Shark, qui quidem piscis percutiebatur bis cum uno harpingyren et recessit.

(e: I hope I'm not totally off with this one, but going by my rusty school Latin this should translate to "For about an hour in the evening, the ship was followed by a fish called a shark. This fish was hit twice with a harpoon and then fled.")

I found a digitised copy of Beckington's correspondence with the letter in question here: https://reader.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/fs1/object/display/bsb11002007_00196.html?zoom=0.6500000000000001

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 30, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Sounds just a tiny bit unlikely given their history.

E: as parent of a toddler I've been exposed to version of that drat baby shark song in so many languages, so this map was relevant to my interests.

Groke fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 30, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PawParole posted:

don’t exist in the Indian Ocean. Dugongs do, and they're called small whales, or in folktales, mermaids.

Boy, reading the wikipedia article on Dugongs sure got me sad. A long list of places where they used to be, and now aren't.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at Romania being so francophile

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A romance language island that was naturally in the Russian sphere of influence... They never had a chance otherwise.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Spanish already had a word for sharks: cazon, which they still use for small shark species.
They just didn't really recognize the great big honking monsters of the Caribbean as being the same as dogfish.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember being disappointed as a child to find out that the disgusting fermented piss shark I was forcing down my gullet because I thought I was eating a Jaws was actually from the harmless and goofy looking Greenland shark.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lies. It went down smooth as hell.

Sharks are smooth in every aspect.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Especially sharks that have been turned into soap.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Devouring One :black101:

I love that two landlocked countries somehow have a unique name for sharks. I'm guessing it was more widespread before it was replaced in the rest of the Slavic world.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember being disappointed as a child to find out that the disgusting fermented piss shark I was forcing down my gullet because I thought I was eating a Jaws was actually from the harmless and goofy looking Greenland shark.

I just looked this up amd Greenland Sharks can live for 400 years. Imagine 4 centuries of just swimming around Greenland, eating fish and dodging Icelanders

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

This post was very funny to me. Also hákarl is disgusting.

Have a map for new year's eve:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Spanish already had a word for sharks: cazon, which they still use for small shark species.
They just didn't really recognize the great big honking monsters of the Caribbean as being the same as dogfish.

To be fair, fish taxonomy is a total trainwreck to the point that some ichthyologists acknowledge that there's no clear taxonomic definition to the category of "fish".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I just looked this up amd Greenland Sharks can live for 400 years. Imagine 4 centuries of just swimming around Greenland, eating fish and dodging Icelanders

The protagonist of my hard-boiled science fiction detective novel set in the teeming skyscraper-framed canals of a semi-drowned Manhattan, 200 years in the future, is an alcoholic private investigator who just had a 'mind vacation' where he lived four simulated Greenland shark lifetimes entirely inside his head over the course of a long weekend and he's constantly making out of the blue references to shark stuff such as "The steak was delicious. As delicious as a fresh seal eaten while swimming through a patch of the coldest water." and "Frankie just couldn't see the truth in front of his face. He was as blind as a shark whose corneas had been nibbled away by the most persistent of parasites."

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
^^^^
Thinly veiled excuse to include a scene of being pissed on by an entire village.

Guavanaut posted:

There should be 4 elements, all called Belgium.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 30, 2020