Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

nude mod for disco elyisum when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

literally an icon

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

literally an icon

Saint Kitsuragi of the Industrial Harbour, protector of the wayward, defender of the forgetful, ally of totally sick as gently caress drivers and their rides

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Did anything else ever come out of that announcement that Disco Elysium was getting a TV adaptation? I'm not holding my hopes up that anything will come to fruition (or that it'll be good if it happens), but I was up all night in deep thought about who would make the perfect Harry, and after binging GLOW I'm partial towards Marc Maron. He has that human trainwreck energy down pat.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maron is too high-strung to play Harry, IMO

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

HELP

My fiancee and I have been playing this game together. She is approaching the end of the church sidequest. She loves Kim. She has lovely authority.

How can I avert this tragedy.

Its not a permanent disaster, you can apologize afterward and make it right.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

whydirt posted:

Maron is too high-strung to play Harry, IMO

Agreed. Needs more slow sads.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tom Hardy would be an amazing Harry

(Watch Bronson if you haven’t)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

hire the people who filmed Comrade Detective, they'll find you a guy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Who would play Kim?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

ultrafilter posted:

Who would play Kim?

For me, it's a toss-up between Daniel Dae Kim, BD Wong and Scarlett Johansson.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Tom Hardy would be an amazing Harry

(Watch Bronson if you haven’t)

My hot take is that Robert Pattinson would actually own here.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

CaptainPsyko posted:

My hot take is that Robert Pattinson would actually own here.

You can't just say that and NOT include this Lighthouse + Molchat Doma mashup

https://twitter.com/auroranocturnal/status/1339024684239581184?s=20

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
molchat doma ftw but for my money the quintessential sad fm music irl is a toss up between human tetris and depresion sonora. i like molchat doma but ita almost too sad to vibe to, kind of like giles corey

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Who would play Kim?

SexyBlindfold posted:

Scarlett Johansson.

:hmmyes:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No child is worthy of playing Cuno

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

No child is worthy of playing Cuno

I guess someone will have to Gary Oldman's "Tiptoes" it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only acceptable Harry for me is Gerard Depardieu from like 30 years ago.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
peter sellers would have been an amazing harry

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SexyBlindfold posted:

You can't just say that and NOT include this Lighthouse + Molchat Doma mashup

https://twitter.com/auroranocturnal/status/1339024684239581184?s=20
Honestly, I'm annoyed there are no explicit Kino references in this thing. You take the time to shout-out Manic Street Preachers, but not Tsoi?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Obviously Kurt Russell for Harry and Awkwafina as Kim.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Did anyone else not sympathize at all with (End game spoilers) the Mercenaries I thought these guys were rapist murdering scum, yet Klaasje has this whole part about how Lely was some poor poo poo "turned into a murderer". gently caress that, tell that to the third world citizens who got shot up by him and his buddies

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I don't think they're supposed to be sympathetic. Explaining why a terrible character is the way that they are can give them some depth, but isn't necessarily meant as an excuse.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ToxicAcne posted:

Klaasje has this whole part about how Lely was some poor poo poo "turned into a murderer".

She’s projecting her fears about herself. Like the protagonist, Klassje isn’t in an especially healthy headspace during the events of the game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ToxicAcne posted:

Did anyone else not sympathize at all with (End game spoilers) the Mercenaries I thought these guys were rapist murdering scum, yet Klaasje has this whole part about how Lely was some poor poo poo "turned into a murderer". gently caress that, tell that to the third world citizens who got shot up by him and his buddies

Klaasje specifically connects with and empathizes with Kortenaer because she's also a monster of a person. If she views Kortenaer as a victim of circumstance rather than a man that willingly became a horrific monster, she's giving him the benefit of a doubt no thinking person would normally give either of them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i can sympathize with people i think should die

i found it hard not to sympathize after i found out about the leaf compactor

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Count Uvula posted:

Klaasje specifically connects with and empathizes with Kortenaer because she's also a monster of a person. If she views Kortenaer as a victim of circumstance rather than a man that willingly became a horrific monster, she's giving him the benefit of a doubt no thinking person would normally give either of them.

is she a monster though? What do you know about her that’s real, other than she’s a world class liar

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

i am a moron posted:

is she a monster though? What do you know about her that’s real, other than she’s a world class liar

She was willing to make accomplices of several people and throw them to the wolves to buy herself space and time to cover her own rear end. She's probably killed people in the past playing those games.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the moral of the story is the insidious capitalist machine makes monsters of everyone. some just get ground up harder than others, or decide that they like the opportunity

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

She was willing to make accomplices of several people and throw them to the wolves to buy herself space and time to cover her own rear end. She's probably killed people in the past playing those games.

She has. She says as much.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
In fact I'd argue the dead Hardie boys are a direct consequence of her actions!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Lasting Damage posted:

In fact I'd argue the dead Hardie boys are a direct consequence of her actions!

I'd say it was the deserter shooting the merc in the first place, and that the hanged man's buddies were gonna go hunting for revenge in martinaise anyway

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Perhaps it is the board of the wild pines shipping company, who sent an amred death squad into a populated city district who share a large part of blame.

On feeling sympathy for the mercs, part of it is in how they reflect HDB's situation, but taken to the extreme. They're all ruined people shackeled to an awful past, in large part due to their own choices to be the worst kind of people they could be. One of the consistent themes of the game is working out whether HDB has a future that isn't a Tequila Sunset, and whether he deserves one; the Mercs are a group of people so far past the point of no return it isn't even a question.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vagabong posted:

On feeling sympathy for the mercs, part of it is in how they reflect HDB's situation, but taken to the extreme. They're all ruined people shackeled to an awful past, in large part due to their own choices to be the worst kind of people they could be. One of the consistent themes of the game is working out whether HDB has a future that isn't a Tequila Sunset, and whether he deserves one; the Mercs are a group of people so far past the point of no return it isn't even a question.

It occurs to me this is analogous to the larger worlds situation and the pale. Is the world like the mercs damned by its history to be the worst it can be or is it like Harry? Negation of negation is inherently about hope. The context of hope is always the absence of its object. Harry may have a future “in spite of” his history But he has to change the object of his hope from an external relationship with Dora to negating the negation of his self.

The Mercs meanwhile don’t hope. Even Lely who like and with Klaasje is loving to forget without hope

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ToxicAcne posted:

KILL THEM

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Agreedo

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My father got the game for Christmas and imminently noticed an immersion breaking plothole that I overlooked:
There shouldn't be collectables lying around in the Garden area, because Cuno would have already stolen them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

VictualSquid posted:

My father got the game for Christmas and imminently noticed an immersion breaking plothole that I overlooked:
There shouldn't be collectables lying around in the Garden area, because Cuno would have already stolen them.

Cuno has bad perception in exchange for stacked electrochemistry

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

VictualSquid posted:

THINK CUNO CARES ABOUT THAT loving SMALLTIME poo poo??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Even if one sympathizes with and looks tragically upon figures like the Mercs for being the product of a culmination of factors beyond their control, viewing them in a vicious cycle of violence yet never truly beyond redemption till death, they remain the opposition and threat to likewise trapped people trying to make dignity out of ending their labour exploitation, fighting against colonial occupation, and attempting at least to build a better world.