Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Frond posted:

To be fair I don’t really know what the difference between a Sports or a GT car is. The fact that they have full power options and Automatic Climate Control? I think these things are expected at the price points these cars were sold at.

NOBODY in the market for Sports GT cars likes cranking the windows up and down, or being uncomfortably hot. This was true in 1986 and it’s the same today.

My understanding has always been GT car is more of a highway car. "Fast" but also generally heavy and more on the comfort features, whereas a "sports" car is more on the lighter side, tighter, better suited to throw around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Wasn't the problem with carbon fiber that it's a huge pain to repair? I seem to remember something about it a while back where damage wasn't repairable, they had to replace whatever panel(s) entirely.

It is a huge pain to repair, and an even huger pain to determine whether it needs repair.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I always thought CF wasn't too difficult to make if you were just making one offs or small numbers, but difficult to scale up to millions of units like you could with metal stampings, because you would need to bake them in an autoclave.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

My understanding has always been GT car is more of a highway car. "Fast" but also generally heavy and more on the comfort features, whereas a "sports" car is more on the lighter side, tighter, better suited to throw around.

Hence "Grand Touring" (GT). Very much a comfortable highway cruiser with some luxury added on. I think the early Mustang GT was the first car to really slaughter "GT" in this aspect, but I may be wrong on that (the GT was essentially a 5.0 Mustang LX with a body kit and PW/PL, IIRC?)

Wikipedia posted:

A grand tourer is a type of sports car that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving, due to a combination of performance and luxury attributes. The most common format is a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.
Grand tourers emphasize comfort and handling over straight-out high performance or ascetic, spartan accommodations. In comparison, sports cars (also a "much abused and confused term") are typically more "crude" compared to "sophisticated Grand Touring machinery."[20] However, the popularity of using GT for marketing purposes has meant that it has become a "much misused term, eventually signifying no more than a slightly tuned version of a family car with trendy wheels and a go-faster stripe on the side."[21]

Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which creates more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal.

I do remember my dad owning a couple of 80s Thunderbirds, and they were very comfortable, had very good highway manners, and had the options you'd expect in a "nice" car of the era (power seats, PW/PL/PM, leather, trip computer, etc).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 30, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
To me the Porsche 928 has always been the canonical example of a GT car. It's powerful but not tuned to the moon, handles well but not in a way that compromises comfort, is technically a four-seat car but really it's sized for you and your girlfriend to take a weekend trip down the coast. It's meant to feel powerful and effortless, not opulent and yacht-like (luxury car) or high-strung and twitchy (sports car).

drat I wish you could get one of those with an engine that doesn't blow its timing belts every 15,000 miles on the dot

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 30, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

drat I wish you could get one of those with an engine that doesn't blow its timing belts every 15,000 miles on the dot

Why do you hate 70s Porsche "charm" so much?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Combat Theory posted:

CFRP should not be machined with classic cutting tools.

If you have to do cutting operations on cured CFRP you can use air powered die grinders. Never use electric tools. They can be shorted by the carbon dust. Air Die grinders work really good and don't cause delamination.
If you have to have CNC control you can use the water curtain adapters that are utilized for the machining of graphite.

For prismatic work, you should always utilize a water jet cutter, which ultimately is also a grinding process through the abrasive compound in the water jet.

The idea of "billet" CFRP work should generally be avoided. The properties of directional Fibre reinforcement and especially the use of complex composite structures with honeycomb or foam cores and maybe even inserts for stress points requires the precise matching of stress flow and Fibre layout, which is done by layer orientation prior to resin application and/or cure.

Also after a handful of projects you'll propably ditch CFRP because even with adequate PPE the stuff just gets everywhere and irks your skin for days as well as leaving a giant mess in your workplace.

I was going to say: why would you machine CF? It's usually laid/molded to shape, and cutting with a waterjet is the only way to go. I used to run a medium-sized waterjet (Omax 48 x 96) and that thing was really neat. I wish the business had taken off, we got in a little too early, without being an established machine shop or associated with one. We were a little shop that only did the waterjet, and just the one to start. Most interesting thing I cut was a main spar for a helicopter. Almost took up the whole table, was 6" thick steel, and they wanted a fine finish, so it was a 10-hour or so cut. It was also a bitch to wrestle the billet up onto the table, since we didn't have a gantry crane.
I made several parts for my cars, and I miss having access to it for that.

STR posted:

Hence "Grand Touring" (GT). Very much a comfortable highway cruiser with some luxury added on. I think the early Mustang GT was the first car to really slaughter "GT" in this aspect, but I may be wrong on that (the GT was essentially a 5.0 Mustang LX with a body kit and PW/PL, IIRC?)

Basically, yeah. LX with some options and a (bad) body kit, and mostly hatchbacks (?). I always hated the GT rear skirt - it made the car look like it had a full diaper. Front air dam and side skirts were OK, though. I still preferred the LX. The LX 5.0 Coupe being the lightest, and therefore fastest.

edit: Jesus the forum is having a stroke or something...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 30, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I was going to say: why would you machine CF?

Especially if you're doing a large production run of it. "Reworking prototypes" is a problem for the designers to figure out, not when you're throwing together 10,000 identical copies of the part.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

STR posted:

I think the early Mustang GT was the first car to really slaughter "GT" in this aspect, but I may be wrong on that (the GT was essentially a 5.0 Mustang LX with a body kit and PW/PL, IIRC?)

The GT package on the 65 Mustang was fog lamps in the grille, rocker stripes, an upgraded instrument panel, disc brakes and a mandatory V8.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sagebrush posted:

To me the Porsche 928 has always been the canonical example of a GT car. It's powerful but not tuned to the moon, handles well but not in a way that compromises comfort, is technically a four-seat car but really it's sized for you and your girlfriend to take a weekend trip down the coast. It's meant to feel powerful and effortless, not opulent and yacht-like (luxury car) or high-strung and twitchy (sports car).

One fact I appreciate about the 928's motor is it set the world's record for longest timing belt and requires a $500 tool to set the tension. Or an iphone app might work.

But yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind a 928GTS in the driveway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

One fact I appreciate about the 928's motor is it set the world's record for longest timing belt and requires a $500 tool to set the tension. Or an iphone app might work.

944s (half of a 928 motor) need the same tool PLUS you need to use it for a balance shaft belt (since it was half a motor....and they kinda stole the balance shaft tech from mitsubishi and got sued over patent infringement). There are plenty of alternatives out there. I have an Arrnworx.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Motronic posted:

944s (half of a 928 motor) need the same tool PLUS you need to use it for a balance shaft belt (since it was half a motor....and they kinda stole the balance shaft tech from mitsubishi and got sued over patent infringement). There are plenty of alternatives out there. I have an Arrnworx.

I had that Arrnworx for my spec 944 as well, a really handy tool for not so much money, and apparently easier to set up and read than the original Porsche tensioner.

It was always freaky setting the balance belt in the 944, as the correct spec was uncomfortably loose. Put more tension on it than spec, though, and that thing would howl like a banshee.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I always thought CF wasn't too difficult to make if you were just making one offs or small numbers, but difficult to scale up to millions of units like you could with metal stampings, because you would need to bake them in an autoclave.

well, as with all things manufactured: it depends on what you're doing, what kind of loads it will take, how long it needs to last and how fast you need to make them. autoclaves arent required for CF composites but produce a better product, which helps when you're making sections of a 787 or the 90 foot, single piece carbon fiber stringer that makes the backbone of a 777X wing.

lamborghini figured out how to make pretty good products with 'forged composites' which do not require an autoclave and allow use of chopped fiber, which is far easier to process than spools of CF tape or sheets of toray

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15347161/lamborghini-is-forging-ahead-with-forged-carbon-fiber-we-visit-their-u-s-based-lab/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

It was always freaky setting the balance belt in the 944, as the correct spec was uncomfortably loose. Put more tension on it than spec, though, and that thing would howl like a banshee.

Yeah, the supercharger sound. I've heard a few around like that and I'm like "uhh...yeah, those pulleys aren't gonna make it through a second belt - hope you're changing them every time"

And it's ridiculous how loose that belt has to be. So I get it when first timers are like "that can't be right" while they have nightmares of their balance belt slipping off and tangling up with the timing belt and wiping the valves out.

Do you have to run the balance belt for spec 944? Almost nobody was running a belt back in my SCCA days.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

well, as with all things manufactured: it depends on what you're doing, what kind of loads it will take, how long it needs to last and how fast you need to make them. autoclaves arent required for CF composites but produce a better product, which helps when you're making sections of a 787 or the 90 foot, single piece carbon fiber stringer that makes the backbone of a 777X wing.

lamborghini figured out how to make pretty good products with 'forged composites' which do not require an autoclave and allow use of chopped fiber, which is far easier to process than spools of CF tape or sheets of toray

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15347161/lamborghini-is-forging-ahead-with-forged-carbon-fiber-we-visit-their-u-s-based-lab/

Funny I was just posting about how I worked for an aerospace company that used a similar process on another thread. Instead of vacuum bagging and autoclaving, they used tool steel dies and placed the weaves in them, holding them together with a tackifier. The dies have channels for resin to flow through them that make a full manifold when assembled together. You attach an injection line to the die assembly and then force inject resin into the part, instead of drawing it through like a vacuum bag process. The resin is injected at ~300ish fahrenheit and hundreds of PSI and cured in the die mold. When fully cured you unbolt the dies and you have a solid molded part. Removed the resin flash as it is sharp as hell then machine to tolerance where needed.

Carbon fiber assembled using this method is stronger and lighter in any configuration you can make with aluminum and some titanium. We broke pull rigs designed to rip apart the aluminum and titanium counterparts. And because it uses a hot cure resin, it's thermoset so using it in a 250+ degree environment does not degrade it. Perfect for rods, frankly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

um excuse me posted:

Funny I was just posting about how I worked for an aerospace company that used a similar process on another thread.

...What thread?

:v:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess with increasing space chat in AI its time to post the Spaceflight Thread in SAL.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990&pagenumber=2027&perpage=40

Nothing I haven't posted above already though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

um excuse me posted:

Funny I was just posting about how I worked for an aerospace company that used a similar process on another thread. Instead of vacuum bagging and autoclaving, they used tool steel dies and placed the weaves in them, holding them together with a tackifier. The dies have channels for resin to flow through them that make a full manifold when assembled together. You attach an injection line to the die assembly and then force inject resin into the part, instead of drawing it through like a vacuum bag process. The resin is injected at ~300ish fahrenheit and hundreds of PSI and cured in the die mold. When fully cured you unbolt the dies and you have a solid molded part. Removed the resin flash as it is sharp as hell then machine to tolerance where needed.

Carbon fiber assembled using this method is stronger and lighter in any configuration you can make with aluminum and some titanium. We broke pull rigs designed to rip apart the aluminum and titanium counterparts. And because it uses a hot cure resin, it's thermoset so using it in a 250+ degree environment does not degrade it. Perfect for rods, frankly.

That sounds like some extremely cool poo poo. I love new tech that actually works.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Motronic posted:

Yeah, the supercharger sound. I've heard a few around like that and I'm like "uhh...yeah, those pulleys aren't gonna make it through a second belt - hope you're changing them every time"

And it's ridiculous how loose that belt has to be. So I get it when first timers are like "that can't be right" while they have nightmares of their balance belt slipping off and tangling up with the timing belt and wiping the valves out.

Do you have to run the balance belt for spec 944? Almost nobody was running a belt back in my SCCA days.

It wasn't necessary but for how much power is lost through the balance shafts I didn't feel like going without. Besides, with all of my work travel I never actually got it on the race track in competition, just a couple of HPDEs for testing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Intentionally broken or unintentionally broken?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That spoiler's making some incredible downforce

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2 coilovers are a high end coilovers meant for racing. They offer it on that STI and if you set both front and rear in the middle of the ride height that's what you get. The coilovers were specifically designed for the 2008 to 2014 generation so the springs are hand me downs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Steve French posted:

Intentionally broken or unintentionally broken?

Both

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

There was a place in Tennessee that put Chevy V8s in the 928. Real bizarre to be looking at a 928 and hearing, "Blub, blub, blub, blub". I always wondered if the electronics still worked after conversion. With these cars, is the body electrical system separate from the engine? If you supply correct power to the body stuff, does everything still work?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

There was a place in Tennessee that put Chevy V8s in the 928. Real bizarre to be looking at a 928 and hearing, "Blub, blub, blub, blub". I always wondered if the electronics still worked after conversion. With these cars, is the body electrical system separate from the engine? If you supply correct power to the body stuff, does everything still work?

There wasn't much of a body electrical system, so I could see it working out. Everything was pretty basic and the only tie in to the ECU that I'm aware of was the alarm system which strangely not only set off the horn/interrupted starting it but also interrupted the field wire to the alternator. Which means most people who bypass the alarm don't realize there was one more connection the needed to make once they get it working good enough again. Been in so many 928/944s that you start, voltage stays at 12 and then you kick it to 3500+ rpm and the alternator wakes up and starts charging because of that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was driving behind a truck yesterday that had a huge sticker across the back window saying "Booty Consumer".

I really want to know who in the process forced him to tone that down from what I am sure started as "rear end Eater".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Zero One posted:

I was driving behind a truck yesterday that had a huge sticker across the back window saying "Booty Consumer".

I really want to know who in the process forced him to tone that down from what I am sure started as "rear end Eater".

Look buddy, I'm a Christian. I may consume the booty, but only after asking forgiveness from the Lord. Hail Mary, Mother of Butt. Thick be your hips, I don't want to talk about your kid.

Oh, well gently caress me. Bumper sticker that's the FOX emblem from MGS, but it's an rear end on lightning legs (maybe a lightning ladder?). "Assssss Eaater"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

Look buddy, I'm a Christian. I may consume the booty, but only after asking forgiveness from the Lord. Hail Mary, Mother of Butt. Thick be your hips, I don't want to talk about your kid.

Oh, well gently caress me. Bumper sticker that's the FOX emblem from MGS, but it's an rear end on lightning legs (maybe a lightning ladder?). "Assssss Eaater"

You call it eating rear end I call it taking holy communion.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

You call it eating rear end I call it taking holy communion.

The booty and the blood.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

and when He had given thanks, He shook it and said, “Take, eat; this is My booty which is shaken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And then he said.....lol you just ate my butt

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZrcNA8YOeg

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is that supposed to be funny?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Correct thread at least even if there's nothing about cars in there.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair the McElroy's are pretty funny, it's just that's some fan created content that takes a bit of the polish and context out of it. Chalk it up to wrong thread and move on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The previous couple of posts reminded me of the bit, sorry.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Saw this down the road from the dunes (Pismo Beach or west Bakersfield). Any goons from Pismo/SLO in here? I took these from the car as the owner didn’t seem keen on discussing his mods. He was one aisle over talking to a Tmrup/Pence flag truck. The angle iron and wood roll bar is an early favorite, but the load bearing child seat/roll bar hoop ended up being the star.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

chaibat posted:

Saw this down the road from the dunes (Pismo Beach or west Bakersfield). Any goons from Pismo/SLO in here? I took these from the car as the owner didn’t seem keen on discussing his mods. He was one aisle over talking to a Tmrup/Pence flag truck. The angle iron and wood roll bar is an early favorite, but the load bearing child seat/roll bar hoop ended up being the star.

Suddenly Im deeply glad to live in a place with annual inspections that would hurl this off the road.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Why would you need a roll bar in a car with a roo....

...Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have to say, it’s one definite shortcoming of California. I really wish there with safety standards for cars here and on balance with everything else (read: CARB/smog) it’s kind of surprising there aren’t. Only thing I can figure is that they prioritized solving the pollution problem over safety standards, but it kind of seems like you could have legislated both.

I’m over here figuring out exactly how I’m going to center mount a full seat (for my child) safely and this dingleberry is out there trying to kill their kid