Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

Here's a pretty decent looking answer.
I suppose the short answer is "well, he flew before the cartoons, but only sporadically, and on the radio show which kind of did its own thing."

Even if it's just "Leap tall buildings" era Superman, unless the cliff was significantly taller than a tall building, pushing superman off it doesn't seem like the best plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm sure that either way someone "more powerful than a locomotive" is able to withstand a shove from a nameless mook.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

like, yeah, checking a hydrant is probably a really good way to see if something is wrong with the water supply rather than the building, but i feel like ripping it permanently out of the ground is a bit unnecessary.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"And then he says, 'I'll try spinning. That's a good move.'"

"Come on, you're just making poo poo up."

The thought that the ending to The Phantom Menace is something that resonates across the centuries is hilarious to me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

Superman could fly by the 40s, couldn't he? He could fly in the Fleischer cartoons made during the war at least. Like what was the best case scenario this thug was hoping for?
Yeah, he flies around some in that same issue.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darthemed posted:

The Thing #6 (1953)

Ugh, traumatic flashbacks to a roadside attraction simply called The Thing. It was your standard museum of oddities. They had Hitler's car. Or at least the same make and model, The Thing was that they couldn't prove Hitler actually owned it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1342885614962814978

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Random Stranger posted:

"And then he says, 'I'll try spinning. That's a good move.'"

"Come on, you're just making poo poo up."

The thought that the ending to The Phantom Menace is something that resonates across the centuries is hilarious to me.

I'd be super hyped if someone came from the future and told me "The fourth Star Wars movie will have a double sided lightsabre"

There is no context that could ruin that sentence for me!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Artelier posted:

I'd be super hyped if someone came from the future and told me "The fourth Star Wars movie will have a double sided lightsabre"

There is no context that could ruin that sentence for me!

I think my enthusiasm would be curbed if they told me it introduces the series equivalent of Scrappy-Doo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't that the first star wars movie? The fourth one was where they went back to the desert planet to get a new protagonist.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Isn't the fourth Star Wars movie the Holiday Special?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Dareon posted:

I think my enthusiasm would be curbed if they told me it introduces the series equivalent of Scrappy-Doo.

For a second I thought you meant Anakin, and I was like "Harsh, but fair."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

For a second I thought you meant Anakin, and I was like "Harsh, but fair."

Phantom Menace Anakin is definitely Scrappy-Doo.

Jar-Jar is Scooby-Dum.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Woebin posted:

Isn't the fourth Star Wars movie the Holiday Special?

That would be the second, so Empire is the third Star Wars movie, I guess.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Technically this is the 4th Star Wars film, before it became non-canon :eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqtyw18jXyI

The Holiday Special is a 'special' and is not a movie

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lama #2 (1945)

Superboy #63 (1958)

The Defenders #12 (1974)

Damage Control #3 (1990)

The Amazing Spider-Man Family #2 (2008)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #63 (1958)

drat Lana slow down girl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Begemot posted:

No, he couldn't fly early on, just jump good.

From very early on he jumped in impossible ways. So de facto he flew, levitated, etc., but the narrative was he jumped.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

This gets posted a lot. It's from the end of the original Armor Wars (Iron Man 222-231) and it's chock full of weird 80s nonsense.

In between busting up armored hero's and villians, Tony attends lots of Hollywood parties with random name drops and caricatures of irrelevant 80's celebrities.

This guy is obviously supposed to be somebody specific but I have no idea who.

Don Johnson, Michael J Fox, but I'm not sure who the third guy is supposed to be.

It's important to remember that 18 year olds don't cry.

It's also important to remind everyone that Tony's not getting AIDS.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 30, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Green Lama #2 (1945)

Green... Lama? Not the animal but like the Dalai Lama?

quote:

Jethro Dumont has two alter egos, the crime fighting superhero Green Lama and the Buddhist priest Dr. Pali. Jethro Dumont being a very rich resident of New York City decided to go to Tibet for ten years to study to become a Lama (Buddhist guru). It was in Tibet where he learned many mystical and magical secrets, which he used in conjunction with his scientific knowledge of how to use radioactive salts in his favor. He used these powers, along with his strong Buddhist beliefs, to fight crime and help the Superpowers team in WWII.

Ok, then!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Bucnasti posted:

That's Larry Hagman, who played J.R. Ewing on Dallas, hence the "dream" bit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ManiacClown posted:

It's been a few decades but I don't think J.R. would ever have worn that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ManiacClown posted:

But that wasn't even him that was dreaming!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

But that wasn't even him that was dreaming!

It was a reference to his starring role on I Dream of Jeanie. :v:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #5 (1982)

Can you help the Cobra marching band find the G.I. Joe tank?

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 30, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bucnasti posted:

I'm reasonably sure it's Travolta, back when he was in his '80s dreamboat phase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks nothing like John Travolta. It's Larry Hagman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I'm reasonably sure it's Travolta, back when he was in his '80s dreamboat phase.

Rhyno posted:

That looks nothing like John Travolta. It's Larry Hagman.

I think they quoted the wrong picture and was saying the dude next to Michael J Fox was John Travolta, though it's not a great likeness.

Don Johnson, Michael J Fox, but I'm not sure who the third guy is supposed to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That doesn't look like him either!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That doesn't look like him either!

Yeah, it honestly looks like an evil Clark Kent to me.

Edit: I bet it's Michael Nouri from Flashdance

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 31, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kengan Omega

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Skwirl posted:

I think they quoted the wrong picture and was saying the dude next to Michael J Fox was John Travolta, though it's not a great likeness.

I used to love these cameos when I read these as a kid, but I was always confused as to why so many guys had blue hair.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

I used to love these cameos when I read these as a kid, but I was always confused as to why so many guys had blue hair.

It was a shading thing in the original printed on garbage paper comics. Someone who knows more about it posted a long explainer somewhere in this sub-forum.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skwirl posted:

It was a shading thing in the original printed on garbage paper comics. Someone who knows more about it posted a long explainer somewhere in this sub-forum.

The tl;dr is that colors were expensive, the available range was limited, and blue and black hair reads as black hair in the sun to your eye if you aren't really thinking about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There wasn't a way back then to do black hair without either adding some other colour that looks like highlights or not using any other colours and having it look like a 2D silhouette of hair.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Power Pack #2 (2020)

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I like that the sign still has a very nice and dramatic depiction of Frog Thor on top.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

ManiacClown posted:

You're right, it's gotta be Hagman, if you google image search him the top results are all him wearing cowboy hats with silly bands.

The guy next to Michael J Fox, must be somebody that was on the cover of People around 1987. Pierce Brosnan Maybe?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Superman could fly by the 40s, couldn't he? He could fly in the Fleischer cartoons made during the war at least. Like what was the best case scenario this thug was hoping for?

Maybe the thug really wanted to see Superman fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

That last text bubble looks photoshopped but even if it's not, I got a good chuckle out of this guy just falling out a window as an exit