Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still probably would never have used the super shotgun if not for marauders. I think I got the fire thingy for it on the last level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I farmed up SSG Mastery as soon as I picked it up and never looked back

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I still probably would never have used the super shotgun if not for marauders. I think I got the fire thingy for it on the last level.

I don't get this though, the SSG is a great gun and the mobility it gives you is insane. Were you playing on I'm Too Young To Die?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

multijoe posted:

I don't get this though, the SSG is a great gun and the mobility it gives you is insane. Were you playing on I'm Too Young To Die?

Nah, started on hard and turned it to normal to get through things faster.

Mostly you just have to be too close for it to be very effective, and I didn't find the mobility especially useful given that it moves you towards the enemy which is usually not the direction I am attempting to move. It's... sort of fun I guess to faff with slingshotting around but I found it more of a novelty than anything. I get that you can do tricks with it but there wasn't a need to, really. The fire effect makes it a useful healing option but given that you don't get that until you use it a lot I didn't really see the point. I got through nearly all the game without it and I just wanted it finished by then so I wasn't very interested in exploring it beyond acknowledging the obvious mechanical utility of adding an extra button press that produces armour. But I also didn't really need that either so eh.

It is useful against marauders because you can get two shots with it before they recover and you have to fight them at close range anyway, so that is where I used it. Otherwise I didn't find it any better or worse than most of the other guns really, it's just there. They're all just there, really.

I'm sure it works but several of the guns work, so it's just a bit whatever.

I think the only doom game that I ever used the super shotgun in was resurrection of evil and that was mostly because the normal shotgun in that game is basically a melee weapon.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 27, 2020

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

OwlFancier posted:

I think the only doom game that I ever used the super shotgun in was resurrection of evil

:psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh and brutal doom but obviously that doesn't count.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

It's a recurring thread theme where the we have posting wars between the people that like Eternal and the people that just want to hold Walk Forward + Fire on their controllers.

Doom 2016 is the Trackmania of Dooms???

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Why are they gating the collectible poo poo behind BATTLE MODE wins and Ultra Nightmare clears?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

sort of fun I guess to faff with slingshotting around but I found it more of a novelty than anything. I get that you can do tricks with it but there wasn't a need to, really

i've found it absolutely critical to master the meathook to keep momentum going and to get out of really lovely situations. i must use this ability like every 10 seconds in an arena fight

e: oh wait you're the poster who wrote up an entire manifesto about why this game sucks. i think we all tried convincing you about the utility of the meathook and it fell on deaf ears

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 27, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly you just have to be too close for it to be very effective, and I didn't find the mobility especially useful given that it moves you towards the enemy which is usually not the direction I am attempting to move.

Super shotgun moves you in the direction of directly through the enemy if you're using it right.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can control yourself to move above or to the side of an enemy. Fly-by's are a great way to do some fat damage while being safe.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That and "I didn't find the mobility especially useful given that it moves you towards the enemy which is usually not the direction I am attempting to move." is quite the quote when wielding a shotgun that kills most things instantly close up.

It insta-kills enemies up close, let's you fly around the arena with little practice needed and it even heals you, what more do you want from a gun?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 27, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It was hard to not use the ssg after I had it. It was annoying having to switch to a plasma gun for the shielded and torso-tank dudes. Meathook owns.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That and "I didn't find the mobility especially useful given that it moves you towards the enemy which is usually not the direction I am attempting to move." is quite the quote when wielding a shotgun that kills most things instantly close up.

It insta-kills enemies up close, let's you fly around the arena with little practice needed and it even heals you, what more do you want from a gun?

I mean, DOOM Eternal has a lot of the basic mechanics explicitly built to make "towards the enemy" your default direction when things get hectic.

Getting closer is supposed to be the default combat plan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meathook swing into a doom hunter, blood punch and then unload a few shots to break his sled.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

OwlFancier posted:

I think the only doom game that I ever used the super shotgun in was resurrection of evil and that was mostly because the normal shotgun in that game is basically a melee weapon.

Can this be the new thread title?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i want to see owlfancier play the first ten maps of hell revealed now

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if the meathook gets you into danger too much u should try using it to retreat instead of attack. i'm so glad im a sane person who is capable of understanding the extremely simple gameplay mechanics of first person shooters

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

nerdrum posted:

Can this be the new thread title?

Could've sworn we had Shotgun Is The Best Melee Weapon In Doom at one point?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It’s surreal to think that somebody might have played Doom II, Doom 3 & RoE, DOOM 2016, DOOM ETERNAL and, hell, perhaps even Doom 64–and amongst those, it’s RoE’s super shotgun that gets highlighted as the version that had any noteworthy usage.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 28, 2020

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It’s surreal to think that somebody might have played Doom II, Doom 3 & RoE, DOOM 2016, DOOM ETERNAL and, hell, perhaps even Doom 64–and amongst those, it’s RoE’s super shotgun that gets highlighted as the version that had the any noteworthy usage.

It doesn't make that proclamation any less weird, but RoE's double barrel is both good and really welcome when you get to it. But I can't fathom elevating it over all the other Doom twin barrel boomsticks...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was looking for things on youtube, and found these along the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8YU2aaSUVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx9X8ncSQUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqdVm1OlGLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huc6SuzvywI

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, its coming from someone who refuses to play Doom as anything other than a cover-shooter and wonders why he doesn't have fun with it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Doom Eternal is the Dark Souls of Videogames

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Now that vendor-neutral raytracing has been added to Vulkan, I wonder if the second DLC will incorporate it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The og doom shotgun was a fantastic sniper rifle.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

The chaingun/pistol are better simply because their first shot ALWAYS shoots true with no deviation, but the shotgun is more effective damage at long, not extremely long range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It’s surreal to think that somebody might have played Doom II, Doom 3 & RoE, DOOM 2016, DOOM ETERNAL and, hell, perhaps even Doom 64–and amongst those, it’s RoE’s super shotgun that gets highlighted as the version that had any noteworthy usage.

Well it's not in vanilla doom 3, unless they added it with the BFG edition, which I haven't played, I had the original on like three CDs or something. So yes I also played through the entire thing without a torch button.

I also haven't played doom 64.

ilmucche posted:

This is the big thing I found with the earlier dooms, the normal shotgun is very versatile and pleasingly accurate, which is why I generally preferred it.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, its coming from someone who refuses to play Doom as anything other than a cover-shooter and wonders why he doesn't have fun with it.

It's not a cover shooter, if I was going to compare it to anything it would actually be left 4 dead, in that the enemies all basically blur together into a sort of fluid mass and you spend most of your time sort of funneling them into an area that you can shoot them easily. Except you move around all the time rather than hiding in a corner because you are actually faster than the enemies, rather than the opposite in l4d, it's a more proactive form of the same enemy management problem, as a significant number of the enemies are melee focused and all of them benefit from positioning them so that they are all in a confined firing line and close together, both so you can hit them with spread attacks and so that you know where they all are. The easiest way to do this is to constantly move away from them as it causes them to chase after you and form that sort of more manageable blob.

This actually ties into a... complaint I guess about the little... buff totem thingies, I forget what they're called, the things you have to find and punch. They're a weird thing to add because they don't really seem to change how you play the game, you still just run around a lot but you just ignore all the enemies until you find the thing to punch, but that takes maybe 30 seconds tops and doesn't really add much of a challenge or anything because it doesn't seem to make the enemies any more capable of catching you, and it's what the game encourages you to do anyway so it seems like a strange addition for how infrequently they're used. Just every so often you have a small extra runaround section before you start shooting, it's weird.

I initially thought that perhaps it was going to be a thing that happened in particularly complex arenas or something to get you to basically become more familiar with them, or perhaps that they would be hidden, but neither of those seems to be particularly true, so as a mechanic they seem a little baffling as to the purpose of their inclusion.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 30, 2020

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

OwlFancier posted:

I also haven't played doom 64.

It's 2 bux on Steam. Please fix this. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148590/DOOM_64/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume the wad is available online too, I just honestly never really felt the need, I played doom 1 and doom 2 as an adult and that was enough build engine doom for me, it was starting to drag by the end if I'm honest. A very good game for its time and it does still hold up very well but not so much that I want to play more of it.

Now if it was another half life expansion on the other hand... that might be the fact that I did play half life as a kid but it's certainly my preferred option. Though Unreal is surprisingly good too if also a little bit of a drag towards the end.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 30, 2020

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It's not a cover shooter, if I was going to compare it to anything it would actually be left 4 dead, in that the enemies all basically blur together into a sort of fluid mass and you spend most of your time sort of funneling them into an area that you can shoot them easily. Except you move around all the time rather than hiding in a corner because you are actually faster than the enemies, rather than the opposite in l4d, it's a more proactive form of the same enemy management problem, as a significant number of the enemies are melee focused and all of them benefit from positioning them so that they are all in a confined firing line and close together, both so you can hit them with spread attacks and so that you know where they all are. The easiest way to do this is to constantly move away from them as it causes them to chase after you and form that sort of more manageable blob.

This actually ties into a... complaint I guess about the little... buff totem thingies, I forget what they're called, the things you have to find and punch. They're a weird thing to add because they don't really seem to change how you play the game, you still just run around a lot but you just ignore all the enemies until you find the thing to punch, but that takes maybe 30 seconds tops and doesn't really add much of a challenge or anything because it doesn't seem to make the enemies any more capable of catching you, and it's what the game encourages you to do anyway so it seems like a strange addition for how infrequently they're used. Just every so often you have a small extra runaround section before you start shooting, it's weird.

I initially thought that perhaps it was going to be a thing that happened in particularly complex arenas or something to get you to basically become more familiar with them, or perhaps that they would be hidden, but neither of those seems to be particularly true, so as a mechanic they seem a little baffling as to the purpose of their inclusion.

Every time you give an opinion that is more than one or two sentences long I am more and more baffled at how someone can arrive at that conclusion, much less how someone can hold all those opinions at once.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the wad is available online too

Ah yes, just talk about :filez: right in front of the developer. Sheesh.
Though frankly I'm not sure what much good the WAD is going to do without anything to run it in, it's not like you can just plonk it in any Doom port, it's not the same thing.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 30, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the wad is available online too, I just honestly never really felt the need, I played doom 1 and doom 2 as an adult and that was enough build engine doom for me, it was starting to drag by the end if I'm honest. A very good game for its time and it does still hold up very well but not so much that I want to play more of it.

Now if it was another half life expansion on the other hand... that might be the fact that I did play half life as a kid but it's certainly my preferred option. Though Unreal is surprisingly good too if also a little bit of a drag towards the end.

Just to clarify, the only official version of Doom 64 (for PC) is the one that Rocket Pan helped port alongside DOOM ETERNAL's release--it was previously never made available for the PC market. The only free alternatives are unofficial remakes/community attempts at recreating the game for PC, since people wanted the game on PC for years and it never looked like it would seriously be ported.

Also the Build Engine doesn't have anything to do with Doom--that's the engine that "2.5D" games like Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood were built on.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Didn't realise we had a goon that worked on that. It owns. Was always my favourite as a kid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, regardless I am not very interested in playing any more 2.5d doom in any form. I played some of it, it was quite good, I don't want to play any more of it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
"I have no interest in your work but I'd :filez: a copy of it," is a hell of thing to say to a dev's face.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well no I wouldn't because as I said I don't want to play it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
calling Doom "build engine" is making my head hurt

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arivia posted:

A doom game on the Build Engine would be jank as gently caress and probably a blast to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Dameius posted:

Every time you give an opinion that is more than one or two sentences long I am more and more baffled at how someone can arrive at that conclusion, much less how someone can hold all those opinions at once.

It's kind of weird, since it sounds like they've never really liked most of the games to any meaningful extent (except DOOM 2016, I guess?) and have developed such an odd perspective on them--partially from what seems to be a lack of genuine familiarity with their mechanics, and partially from the broader series not being what they want--that a lot of the comments go from weird but subjective views to bizarre and objectively questionable statements.

Honestly, the posts just feel kind of like me--a person who "played a little baseball" and enjoys some t-ball with friends...but otherwise doesn't really watch baseball or have a strong interest in the sport--posting on MLB fan forums about how the shape of the ball is wrong, or baseball seems to be most similar to Parcheesi, or that XYZ aspects of baseball are flawed (because I don't actually know the game's rules or anything "inside baseball").

Owlfancier, I'm rewatching that video you posted a while back and it just kind of seems like...maybe your enjoyment of DOOM 2016 was something of a fluke? I don't know, but between reading your posts and watching how you play, I think 2016 just let you play more...I guess, mindlessly? Which, whatever, if that's what you enjoyed, that's all that matters for you personally. So when you hop into ETERNAL and it actually demands more of you--for better or worse, because it's thinking more about "Pistol Start Plutonia on Ultraviolence" rather than "Doom II The Gantlet on HMP"--it's no longer just a game you can sort of push through with whatever, however you want.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 30, 2020