Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

New Shuumatsu no Valkyrie

Also...it's getting an anime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGiAcQL-yKw

I am pretty hype to see Zeus v. Adam animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

This could be pretty hype. I do hope they don’t censor too much.

I look forward to next chapter.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Apparently this month was a double release so...the next Shuumatsu no Valkyrie chapter (41) is now!

I shuddered a bit at that last clash. Watching an arm just slowly split was nasty.

Kind of funny that Shiva's ultimate moves were all kicks given the focus on his 4 arms but go figure for a dancer.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 30, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hypocrisy posted:

This is coming to Toonami/Adult Swim so hard as soon as it gets a dub.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Apparently this month was a double release so...the next Shuumatsu no Valkyrie chapter (41) is now!

I shuddered a bit at that last clash. Watching an arm just slowly split was nasty.

Kind of funny that Shiva's ultimate moves were all kicks given the focus on his 4 arms but go figure for a dancer.

To be fair, Shiva only had one arm left by the end. Couldn't really use the other three.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hypocrisy posted:

I’m very surprised the Japanese fighter lost.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I want Ark System Works to make a Shuumatsu fighting game when the series is over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want them all in FGO.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
*Finger of the Monkey's Paw curls*

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want them all in FGO.

Theyre all sabers
(^^Boy am i glad i never got the urge to look at any Fate* stuff willingly. Everything i know is jist through osmosis)

As for shuumatsu
I didnt like the fight very much. Its a good slugfest but I was expecting something more crazy from shiva, and I dont like how his characterization got changed up a bit from the beginning.

Hell i shouldve known since even Baki couldnt make Sumo interesting in a crazy fightman way.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 30, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

It felt like the winner would be Raiden Nice end regardless.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyre all sabers
(^^Boy am i glad i never got the urge to look at any Fate* stuff willingly. Everything i know is jist through osmosis)

My exposure to it has only been the old forum LPs of Tsukihime and 2/3rds of the forum LP of Fate/Stay Night, and the OVAs of Garden of Sinners. I didn't really have the stomach or the interest to get any further into it, especially as the rest of the franchise seems to have gone on into a billion recursive versions of F/SN.

IMO the Fate* stuff has always been an odd mix of weirdly good and creative horror/fantasy, and horrible fetish garbage. Bizarrely, in some cases the horribleness of the fetish stuff actually contributes to giving the horror more of an edge. It makes it annoyingly hard to recommend to anyone, because even though the strong bits are very strong, every entry in it comes with a bunch of content disclaimers. Tsukihime is a really interesting first-person horror story about a person slowly going completely insane under the pressure of morbid psychic powers, gaslighting, and being hunted by a delusional vampire, but it's also got the sexual politics and explicit content of a 90's indie Japanese dating game. And so on and so on. The Garden of Sinners OVAs are the most innocuous entry, and even then those come with, "but one minor character is a sister with a completely unrequited crush on her brother, played for comedy".

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyre all sabers

As for shuumatsu
I didnt like the fight very much. Its a good slugfest but I was expecting something more crazy from shiva, and I dont like how his characterization got changed up a bit from the beginning.

Hell i shouldve known since even Baki couldnt make Sumo interesting in a crazy fightman way.

The best fight involving Sumo will always be the one from Kengan Ashura imo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Red Bones posted:

My exposure to it has only been the old forum LPs of Tsukihime and 2/3rds of the forum LP of Fate/Stay Night, and the OVAs of Garden of Sinners. I didn't really have the stomach or the interest to get any further into it, especially as the rest of the franchise seems to have gone on into a billion recursive versions of F/SN.

IMO the Fate* stuff has always been an odd mix of weirdly good and creative horror/fantasy, and horrible fetish garbage. Bizarrely, in some cases the horribleness of the fetish stuff actually contributes to giving the horror more of an edge. It makes it annoyingly hard to recommend to anyone, because even though the strong bits are very strong, every entry in it comes with a bunch of content disclaimers. Tsukihime is a really interesting first-person horror story about a person slowly going completely insane under the pressure of morbid psychic powers, gaslighting, and being hunted by a delusional vampire, but it's also got the sexual politics and explicit content of a 90's indie Japanese dating game. And so on and so on. The Garden of Sinners OVAs are the most innocuous entry, and even then those come with, "but one minor character is a sister with a completely unrequited crush on her brother, played for comedy".
It's a fantasy action story with some parts that work and some parts that don't, it's not really that complicated of a recommendation or requires more hand wringing than say, recommending Attack on Titan or whatever else action epic is popular at the time. People should have more faith in others being able to figure out if something like that is going to be for them or not.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
My only real exposure to the franchise was that I watched and liked the Fate/Zero anime; in that one the sexually creepy stuff seemed to be toned down to a minimum (though not entirely absent, unfortunately).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fate/Zero being brought up as "oh no, that's the one that got it mostly right" is always funny to me when it's the most misogynistic Fate story by a healthy margin.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 30, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nate RFB posted:

Fate/Zero being brought up as "oh no, that's the one that got it mostly right" is always funny to me when it's the most misogynistic Fate story by a healthy margin.

sure a woman gets graphically strangled to death as part of a plot she has no role in except to be an object for two men to fight over, but at least there's no sex scenes!

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 30, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

sure a woman gets graphically strangled to death as part of a plot she has no role in except to be an object for two men to fight over, but at least there's no sex scenes!
...You know, that's entirely correct and now I'm pretty embarrassed that I never really made that connection.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What series was it that had the Mega Man X crossover where Zero confronts Iris’s robot ghost after her death and gets closure for it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Two women, actually (and one in a dream sequence). And Kerry bangs his secretary early on. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Grouchio posted:

And Kerry bangs his secretary early on. :v:

Its fiiiine, his wife is not only OK with it, she actively supports it. Anything to relieve him from his incredible man-pain. :rolleyes:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Welp, I definitely remembered that one more fondly than it deserved (and probably watched it too uncritically in the first place). Too bad, but good to know.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Carpator Diei posted:

Welp, I definitely remembered that one more fondly than it deserved (and probably watched it too uncritically in the first place). Too bad, but good to know.

Sorry if that came off like dogpiling. Fate fans have just had to endure a lot of "Fate is bad except for Zero gee whiz what a good show" over the years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jagged Jim posted:

*Finger of the Monkey's Paw curls*

It's been stated that there's a different Jack for every Class, based on different interpretation of the legend. One of the spinoff has Berserker Jack.

Assassin Jack is the one you posted and I hate her dersign so much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

her design always ends up as a big point of contention despite her presence in Apocrypha being comparatively minor and that series having way bigger issues with just, being unable to manage a cast twice the size of your average Fate thing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
is apocrypha supposed to be non-canon?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
"Canon" in the traditional sense is kinda meaningless to the Nasuverse. Every property is essentially its own timeline that may or may not share some kind of connection plotwise to previous works. The closest you get to a cohesive timeline across Fate properties is Zero -> Case Files -> FSN -> Case Files again.

The sequel to FSN proper is Hollow Ataraxia, but it doesn't follow from any of the actual endings of the first visual novel. Instead there was a little space-time accident that merged things into an entirely new timeline where all but one character survived the events of FSN.

Apocrypha is its own timeline where the main villain stole the holy grail from Japan by using and betraying the Nazis to set up his own holy grail war in Romania.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

is apocrypha supposed to be non-canon?
Alternate timeline in which one Darnic Yggdmillennia snatches and smuggles the Grail to Romania during the Third Grail War (1930s) - which in canon was corrupted by Angra Mainyu thanks to Einzbern-related poo poo. Sixty years later Darnic rebels against the Mages Association and boom Fate/Apocrypha.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
it was a joke since 'apocryphal' generally means 'non-canonical'

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Sorry if that came off like dogpiling. Fate fans have just had to endure a lot of "Fate is bad except for Zero gee whiz what a good show" over the years.
Not a problem, you were very correct to call it out :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I. M. Gei posted:

What series was it that had the Mega Man X crossover where Zero confronts Iris’s robot ghost after her death and gets closure for it?
I think that might have just been a fever dream

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's been stated that there's a different Jack for every Class, based on different interpretation of the legend. One of the spinoff has Berserker Jack.

Assassin Jack is the one you posted and I hate her dersign so much.

I like the idea of both Assassin and Berserker Jack, but wish they used another design for Assassin Jack.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

So I was right. Raiden was just too cool to live.

This fight felt kinda fast, but I got the chills near the end anyway. I really didn't know which one of them was gonna win, and while I did get more attached to Shiva, the gods are the antagonists of the tournament, so this isn't very good in the long run.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The canon sequel to Fate and all the other Nasuverse series is Carnival Phantasm and I won't hear otherwise.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Is there any evidence that Q Hayashida was ever actually an assistant to Tsutomu Nihei? I’ve seen that rumor repeated on Twitter and other social media but I can’t find any evidence except for occasionally similarities in their art style.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It would be nice if it was easier to find these things out. Knowing who worked under who is very interesting information!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

I Am Fowl posted:

It would be nice if it was easier to find these things out. Knowing who worked under who is very interesting information!

Looks like these relationships can get pretty messy.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any good recent examples of the wandering tough guy genre? Stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub, Fist of the North Star, etc.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

darkgray posted:

Looks like these relationships can get pretty messy.

They should make the next one of those in English - would be a lot easier to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Chas McGill posted:

Any good recent examples of the wandering tough guy genre? Stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub, Fist of the North Star, etc.

Vagabond? Never getting finished mind. Ichi the killer lol