Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

There's also an issue (that I think got resolved) where you wouldn't keep nechamech weapon affinity if you also had the weapon equipped as your archwing or heavy weapon

Well that explains why my fluctus didn't level up today. :de:

(It's still an issue then I'm pretty sure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Try doing some speedy Gian Point railjack, was doing <2 minutes per mission and after every mission I swapped out for a new companion to level because it went from 0 to 30 in under 2 minutes.

Yeah, that's the quick way. I was able to fit PAI and Fetch on without maxing it out, so I wasn't terribly concerned about speed. Doing 2 or 3 runs of Orphix Venom a day and it's burning me out on the game fast, but 0 chance of getting what I'm after otherwise (honestly very little chance of getting it this way either).

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The amount of ways this game about leveling things up (that also sells leveling up boosters) manages to confuse itself when it comes to the task of "count xp by adding numbers" is honestly staggering

like i get how it's buggy in a lot other ways when it's a shambling mess of random systems bolted together with gum and canadian maple syrup having to handle the nuclear "partial state restore" fallout after host migrations, but adding a bunch of uints is an impressive task to fail consistently.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 28, 2020

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

motherfucker is that what it was???

Oh wild. I wondered how I only had like two levels on my mausolon at the end of a ~12 orphix run the other day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Honestly the problem is that Warframe rips away all your XP and loot progress if you leave mid-mission in the first place. Sometimes I play other games with the same kinda pseudo-MMO, small instanced groups structure that just don't do that, and it's like "oh, right." The sky doesn't fall, it's not impossible to get a group to stick together, etc.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

There was also the mech experience bug in the isolation vaults that ended up seeing your mech lose xp if you resummoned it elsewhere, or something equally as silly. Pretty sure that got taken care of too though.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

if your warframe dies, you lose all mech XP

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

BMan posted:

if your warframe dies, you lose all mech XP
and sometimes any chance to gain any further mech xp because the mech and its weapons just wont show up in the registered equipment at all

main reason i swapped from useful utility frames like protea to useless tank trash inaros for using mechs

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

and sometimes any chance to gain any further mech xp because the mech and its weapons just wont show up in the registered equipment at all

main reason i swapped from useful utility frames like protea to useless tank trash inaros for using mechs

Hey, Inaros isn't useless, he's specialized in making Baro jizz himself in adoration when you buy 60/60 electricity mods.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
sweet jesus I'm remembering why I don't have intrinsics capped yet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

be sure to leave at least two of them at 9 so you can bank points for Command

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So Tencent owns Warframe now.

https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/digital-extremes-partners-with-tencent

Creative freedom! You know, just like how Activision has never imposed its will on Blizzard! I wonder how long it's going to take until the "yeah... about that freedom of creativity thing" moment comes from Tencent.
I also wonder if (when) the client is going to be loaded down with spyware bullshit.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, before we cross the Sinophobia line, we can look at comparable games that went through the same process, like... Path of Exile. Game didn't change, just the cosmetics got jacked up in price. Been pretty hands off in all the acquisitions I'm personally aware of. If it's "bending over to external influence" that's concerning, GOG has already proven you don't need a cent of investment for that.

I genuinely wouldn't worry unless something catastrophic happened. The spyware bit? Pretty sure we can mark that one up as "already happened somewhere on your computer, likely several times" with the state of modern software.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

people act as if Warframe isn't already a F2P MMO that does basically all the things people resent F2P MMOs for

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dang, i can't imagine warframe being owned by a chinese company. what a wild thought, i can't believe this is the first time this has ever happened

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
people have been clutching their pearls over tencent since a likely partnership was announced well over six months ago. if you want to hype yourself up with anxiety then there's a ton of youtube / warframe partner videos already out there that can amp you up. I'd suggest continuing to play and enjoy and see if anything shady shakes out.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I can be uncomfortable with a certain megacorp without drawing doomsday scenarios or being sinophobic, and this discomfort will inform my future spending. This is by no means limited to tencent.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

people act as if Warframe isn't already a F2P MMO that does basically all the things people resent F2P MMOs for
it doesn't hth

its also not even an MMO wtf is this terrible hot take even going for

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 30, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
glad to hear you're Just Asking Questions

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I can be uncomfortable with a certain megacorp without drawing doomsday scenarios or being sinophobic, and this discomfort will inform my future spending. This is by no means limited to tencent.

it doesn't hth

its also not even an MMO wtf is this terrible hot take even going for

Warframe sells power for real money (usually in non-exclusive forms but if that's your standard, your standards are low), artificially drums up engagement metrics with FOMO and season pass bullshit, literally per the devs own words entices you to drop cash on it by making free pathways too tedious to bear, has issues with power creep, etc.

like i realize you'll simp for anything that passes the "can you pet the cat" test, and there's still a decent game under the cruft, but the cruft is intrusive, omnipresent, and generally kind of sucks

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the trading system and whale plat is the only thing keeping warframe from being a P2W hell

e: maybe "hell" is a bit strong, slots and potatoes aren't THAT expensive

BMan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 30, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

If anything, they seem to have realized and embraced that at a deeper level just judging by all the recent released weapon parts being tradable.

Everything from cedo to the arcana vault weapons is plat buyable from other players.

It kinda feels like they've figured out they can make drop chances be even MORE hellish if they let a third party market be a corrective force, while maintaining the high horse position of 'well you can just get it in the ingame store for 200-250 plat with a free catalyst and slot1'

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TheParadigm posted:

Everything from cedo to the arcana vault weapons is plat buyable from other players.

It helps that all the actually good weapons lately are buyable with some form of grindable currency

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Speaking of grinding, who else forgot helminth was a thing and you need two lavos sets out of the event?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
It doesn't matter of Tencent ruins Warframe or not, believing that they will is what matters most.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Never thought I'd see so many people defending Tencent / jumping on somebody who asks about it.

Neat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GreatGreen posted:

Never thought I'd see so many people defending Tencent / jumping on somebody who asks about it.

Neat.

gamers getting mad about tencent is 3/4ths racism and 1/8th actual misplaced concern + like it was already obliquely mentioned digital extremes has been owned by a chinese company since 2014

it genuinely doesn't matter materially

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

FWIW if you ever wanted to get capped now is the time since with a boost you're looking at 4x experience while the bonus is still up. Rip that bandaid off while you can.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm gonna admit to some ignorance, the only thing I really know about Tencent is "Big big chinese game company." Are they actually any worse than any other venture capital or game studio? Cause our local game industry ain't exactly paragons of ethical treatment of their teams and customers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm gonna admit to some ignorance, the only thing I really know about Tencent is "Big big chinese game company." Are they actually any worse than any other venture capital or game studio? Cause our local game industry ain't exactly paragons of ethical treatment of their teams and customers.

They're exactly like any big videogame publisher.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hazardousmouse posted:

it's basically just that they're a chinese company, yeah. china is being propped up by the american right as the next big scary foreigners and now people like to treat everything coming from the country like it's the russian red scare all over again

i did enjoy the original person swinging in with the doomsaying also namedropping activision as if the company who hired a literal war criminal to consult on black ops 2 has suddenly decided to make their games less oo-rah super american after tencent picked up a whole 5% investment

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they literally do pretty much the same poo poo any big corporation does but capital g Gamers have decided it's the scapegoat to latch onto as the distinctly ~evil~ one, and given how things are there are probably straight up roots for it based entirely in neonazi shitheels making it about evil chinese people or whatever the gently caress

like for the record i don't think anyone is going to say that tencent is saintly because i sure as poo poo don't trust loving any of these big corporations, but the insane rage blindness ~gamers~ will have in regards to tencent and like only tencent for some reason means that it just crowds out any legitimate discussion to be had on the subject and all you get is gormless fucks waving their hands around and making ghost noises in some effort to make them sound more inherently terrifying than they are

christ

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

They're the most evil, greedy, horrible game publisher out there who exist to do nothing but steal your info and overcharge for everything.

Except when it's EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Valve, CDPR or who ever it the most evil, greedy, horrible game publisher at the moment because they dropped a patch people didn't like or released something buggy or had a game starring a woman.

(The Tencent thing is basically pure racism.)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tempest_56 posted:

They're the most evil, greedy, horrible game publisher out there who exist to do nothing but steal your info and overcharge for everything.

Except when it's EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Valve, CDPR or who ever it the most evil, greedy, horrible game publisher at the moment because they dropped a patch people didn't like or released something buggy or had a game starring a woman.

(The Tencent thing is basically pure racism.)

Oh really now.

People hate EA and Activision for... publishing games with women? Not all that "running beloved franchises to the ground, releasing games that barely work and that they won't even care to fix, at best lovely working conditions, gambling everywhere" part?

Anything beyond what EA or Activision would get is racism though.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

people sliding into this thread like Nezha with maximum friction mods to defend Tencent and accuse all its detractors of being *checks last ten posts* neo-Nazis, racists, capital-G Gamers, Sinophobic, gormless fucks

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh really now.

People hate EA and Activision for... publishing games with women? Not all that "running beloved franchises to the ground, releasing games that barely work and that they won't even care to fix, at best lovely working conditions, gambling everywhere" part?

Anything beyond what EA or Activision would get is racism though.

Tempest is talking about the capital G Gamer take on game companies. They don't give a poo poo about the workers, they just want Product to consume that won't challenge their views in any way, shape, or form, and things like "picturing women with agency" challenge those views.

See also: anyone upset they can't call Nezha a slur.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Prop Wash posted:

people sliding into this thread like Nezha with maximum friction mods to defend Tencent and accuse all its detractors of being *checks last ten posts* neo-Nazis, racists, capital-G Gamers, Sinophobic, gormless fucks

seriously though, feel free to detail exactly what you don't like about tencent b/c the last several times i've asked or seen other people ask have boiled down to

- general complaints about scary foreigners and their companies
- conflating tencent with the chinese government (including, quote, "how much it sucked that they made gog pull devotion from their store")
- literally breaking into anti-asian slurs

it's just a fuckin corporation like all those american corporations that nobody ever gives a poo poo about, even when they're pushing super direct influence and control (especially working hand in hand with the american military). warframe is going from one chinese parent company to another, that's all

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

flatluigi posted:

- conflating tencent with the chinese government (including, quote, "how much it sucked that they made gog pull devotion from their store")

china's version of state capitalism (especially now under xi) often makes it difficult to separate the actions of private companies from those of the ruling party. you can argue the finer points of this one, but the criticism isn't coming from nowhere.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

No Pants posted:

china's version of state capitalism (especially now under xi) often makes it difficult to separate the actions of private companies from those of the ruling party. you can argue the finer points of this one, but the criticism isn't coming from nowhere.

The only difference between influence from the Chinese government and influence from a board of directors that doesn't want to offend chuds is that the Chinese government cares if they look competent.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

yes those are among the finer points I mentioned thank you. edit: that was overly dismissive, sorry. i just saw the conversation heading toward "ccp not bad because america also bad" and didn't want to start that up.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

Lets see. As far as I understand it its roughly like this.

The major concern, privacy wise, is being a stakeholder in a game lets them demand/access consumer data for (application) and then feed it to the chinese state.

Why you might care:
worst case being like, your game playing habits, geographical location, and spending let them target you politically like we saw with cambridge analytical.

Bonus:
Being owned by a chinese company means the state can lean on your game through tencent, and your favorite franchise automatically goes political because, say, a partner might be dropped for saying China, what gives with hong kong?
See: Blizzard, Blitzchung.
'Punish political dissidents or we cut off your power to sell in our whole country' is a weapon.

The main reason to be "concerned" is basically they're chinese google/publisher/facebook etc with regards to data - you know, with how big tech works with governments and suchlike - except that chinese government is not as kind to you and your data as the FBI/CIA are.
(see: Prism/tempora/five eyes scandal, etc). (for those of you who don't know, all the big countries have some sort of domestic spying and agreements to take data directly from companies regarding persons of interest; the main issue with that particular scandal was spy agencies were getting around 'spy on our own people' rules by asking allied but out-of-country spy agencies for the data they wanted on their own citizens - in return for doing the same for the other allies. The important takeaway is these 'give us your data' agreements still exist. )

It basically depends on how much leverage tencent has on DE vs canadian data consumer protection laws and what they are and are not allowed to do or get away with.
And yeah, sure, they don't do anything especially outside of the norm for big business and big data. Why you might care: the leash-holder of Tencent is adversarial and politicized.

Its sort of a tossup. Whether you think its good or bad is your call.

However, the real question to ask "Is tencent going to be a worse owner than leyou was?"

For example:
Expect kickbot to be issuing kicks/bans/account timeouts for referencing Tiananmen Square 89 after the acquisition.