Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

But I think it's reasonably safe to assume that the guy writing up his d20 modern adventures didn't say "let's split the party here to save future people some money when they adapt this for television".

yeah it's just bad DMing to allow the party to split up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
when does Space 9/11 happen?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

indigi posted:

when does Space 9/11 happen?

not watching the show, but if they’re at the point where amos is visiting earth it should be imminent

bigger spoiler: in the books Amos is visiting a prison when it happens

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s in episode 4; episode 5 starts with amos trapped in the prison

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/staidindoors/status/1344348434636054528?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think at 00:00:01 on January 1st 2021 the skies the world-over are going to light up with miles-high text reading

TUTORIAL COMPLETED
PREPARE FOR LEVEL 1

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jabor posted:

James Holden Talking To Fred Johnson.

Oi dis guy Fred Johnson he say he a belta

i can't help myself

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

A friend looks a lot like Cas Anvar which was great and made watching it hilarious and I guess now sucks

still gonna watch it though but I hope the ghost of The Punisher is in it again because his character was great

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wish Dawes was in it more

e: I really hope I'm never around to witness an asteroid impact

indigi fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 31, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/woodmuffin/status/1325106555264638981?s=21

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jared harris is too busy being in every other tv show

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in real into how the mando was filmed using a lit moving backdrop so green screen effects are
eliminated and the lighting is perfect

I think they used unreal engine, and presumably with gently caress loads
of gfx card to make it look better than a game, probably lots of baked bits

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

in real into how the mando was filmed using a lit moving backdrop so green screen effects are

they did real-time lighting correction and color adjustment to blend the background to the stage lighting and props which is impressive

we're watching it right now and aside from a little too clearly flat area in episode 1 the use is so very convincing and I'm sure it made performing easier than 'sad gandalf' full green sets like lucas kept using

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

duz posted:

neat, i didnt know the mandalorian backgrounds were done using an unreal engine generated background on an led wall tied to the camera movements instead of being chromakeyed and added in post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

NoneMoreNegative posted:

a little more indepth on the actual tech/software

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjb-AqMD-a4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

incredible. how were they able to purchase a gfx card?!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/bj_slive/status/1344026477688320000

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i’ve either seen those or will watch them

I wanna kind of be part of a part of the economy that creates fake poo poo that people believe is real

seems to me like a vr helmet, unreal engine 4, and do a thing where you renovate their house and show them in vr with real good lighting what their new house would look like etc. i’m sure it’s being done in many places but would love to see the amazement on people’s faces etc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I distinctly remember a shot in the mandalorian where he was driving a speeder in a panned out shot and his head kept disappearing. it was the weirdest, dumbest thing to allow to ship. we saw it and laughed and went back and watched it again. it's really weird to think of the cg as good after that (though obviously it is - it's not like things like that happen every episode)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
expanse continues to be good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk why baby yoda cost 5 million or whatever, it's nuts. Its still obviously animatronic and has less expressive range than kermit the frog who was a green sock with a guys hand stuck in it that probably cost $12.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

idk why baby yoda cost 5 million or whatever, it's nuts. Its still obviously animatronic and has less expressive range than kermit the frog who was a green sock with a guys hand stuck in it that probably cost $12.

little known fact, kermit cost 12 million

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

its the obvious animatronics that give it so much charm

star wars can obvious look better than the 70s but it should still look like technology envisaged from the 70s

think of it more like director man was like "lets experiment and make the most expensive old school animatronics thing we can"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Roosevelt posted:

little known fact, kermit cost 12 million

holy crap!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um 12 million in 80s money? no way. he was made of felt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i don't mind that it moves like an animatronic but it bugs me that they use baby sounds that don't match what its mouth does

baby yoda: (makes three syllables of cooing noises)
baby yoda's mouth: (opens slightly)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats the best part

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

baby yoda may be cynical manipulation cooked up by some Disney supercomputer, but it is also the best star wars thing since empire

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

caught up on the expanse, laughed out loud at amos suplexing a dude down an elevator shaft

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Achmed Jones posted:

I distinctly remember a shot in the mandalorian where he was driving a speeder in a panned out shot and his head kept disappearing. it was the weirdest, dumbest thing to allow to ship. we saw it and laughed and went back and watched it again. it's really weird to think of the cg as good after that (though obviously it is - it's not like things like that happen every episode)

what

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
going to have to check this out

https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1343352306553786368

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

baby yoda: (makes three syllables of cooing noises)
baby yoda's mouth: (opens slightly)

I don’t like that they just used literal baby noises instead of trying to imagine what a cute baby alien would sound like. get Frank Welker on the phone and have a loving go

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

qirex posted:

caught up on the expanse, laughed out loud at amos suplexing a dude down an elevator shaft

the more i learn about amos actor the more impressed i am with him. he took the churn to a psychologist and like worked out how amos reacts to things with him and it shows. amos continues to be one of the stealth best characters on the show. him hitting on avsarvala and calling her chrissy makes me laugh my rear end off every time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

maybe I should try the show again

the Holden and Naomi dynamic really turned me off on the first pass

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Casual Encountess posted:

the more i learn about amos actor the more impressed i am with him. he took the churn to a psychologist and like worked out how amos reacts to things with him and it shows. amos continues to be one of the stealth best characters on the show. him hitting on avsarvala and calling her chrissy makes me laugh my rear end off every time

I like Amos because he's not just another mindless thug. he has very specific reasons for being the way he is and acknowledges it, but he's not just some indescriminate violent man like the baddie from season 4

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the cg was hosed up

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i really liked the baltimore scenes for fleshing out his background. it really humanizes him, and he gets a nice, deeply personal, win at the end of it. shame it's immediately rendered meaningless by the larger events, i wonder if there'll be any reminiscing on that at any point or if it'll just be ignored to focus on the main plot

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mando in baltimore?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fart simpson posted:

mando in baltimore?

that'd be cool, just get some real fourth wall poo poo going.

i was talking about the expanse tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the baltimorian