Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I went to work at the same place my dad worked, and most of my coworkers have at least one relative here because there are no qualifications and it pays $30/hr (if you got hired a decade ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious posted:

all my non-poo poo jobs were obtained through nepotism too. meritocracy is a goddamn lie

Always has been

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Suspicious posted:

all my non-poo poo jobs were obtained through nepotism too. meritocracy is a goddamn lie

The Bloop posted:

Always has been

Yeah, I've recently hit this particular revelation pretty hard. I got laid off from a great job back in April (that I got due to nepotism) and wound up working back at my previous employer, a job that I'd also gotten through nepotism.

Hell, the restaurant job I had before being a computer toucher I got through someone I knew there.

The silence between submitting an application and getting a rejection email is soul crushing and I'm quite honestly convinced that I don't have the keywords in my resume to even get past the tracking system and get it seen by a person. If I can get my resume in front of a person, I can sell myself like lovely t shirts at a phish concert - but I can't force that move if I don't have someone on the inside.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lib and let die posted:

The silence between submitting an application and getting a rejection email is soul crushing and I'm quite honestly convinced that I don't have the keywords in my resume to even get past the tracking system and get it seen by a person. If I can get my resume in front of a person, I can sell myself like lovely t shirts at a phish concert - but I can't force that move if I don't have someone on the inside.

:lol:

In my entire career of over 20 years at this point (god I'm getting old) I can count on one hand how many rejection emails I've received, after thousands of applications. I did get a single physical rejection letter once in 2016, that was just :wtc:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

In my entire career of over 20 years at this point (god I'm getting old) I can count on one hand how many rejection emails I've received, after thousands of applications. I did get a single physical rejection letter once in 2016, that was just :wtc:

It's all mostly automated now. You submit your resume (required), let the ATS try and read your resume into the form fields where you re-type your resume section by section (also required), fix everywhere the ATS sliced, diced, then frankensteined back together your resume into said fields section by section (required because i'll be up until 3am sweating if i did it right and if it'll even get seen by a person if i don't), and if it even gets in front of a hiring person, there's template "sorry you're not good enough" emails that get sent with a click of a button so there's no real time or emotional investment in it for HR. They probably don't even know it's sending an email when they reject an applicant.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lib and let die posted:

It's all mostly automated now. You submit your resume (required), let the ATS try and read your resume into the form fields where you re-type your resume section by section (also required), fix everywhere the ATS sliced, diced, then frankensteined back together your resume into said fields section by section (required because i'll be up until 3am sweating if i did it right and if it'll even get seen by a person if i don't), and if it even gets in front of a hiring person, there's template "sorry you're not good enough" emails that get sent with a click of a button so there's no real time or emotional investment in it for HR. They probably don't even know it's sending an email when they reject an applicant.

Trust me, I know the process, as I end up doing it every 3 years.

Honestly the worst is putting your resume out there on Indeed, Monster, Career Builder, etc. because then you're crawled by a thousand temp agencies who all get the same posting, and within a few hours you get 30 calls for a job in Bumblefuck, MI to be an assembler, because I popped enough keywords.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh god, I felt that as i read it

If only stepping backwards was what I wanted.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I only got my job at entry level data entry because of my friends referral. I've got a 4 year degree but apparently since I have no office experience I wouldn't normally have been hired.

How fuckin' hard is "read paper, type words" I managed to make it through college which is exactly that

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
HR is a scam, just like MBAs

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

inferis posted:

I don’t know anything about college sports but I watch junior hockey which is 15-20 year old kids. I think development leagues own because at the pro level everyone is so well coached that games end up a little dull compared to junior hockey where you can see a future nhler running circles around kids that will be working at their days car dealership in 4 years. love to see a game end 9-7. bad hockey is good hockey

if you're not screaming for one child to murder another child within earshot of both their moms, you're not really enjoying hockey

"CHECK HIM THROUGH THE loving BOARDS! WE WANT BLOOD!!!" - me and my friends, hard up for something to do at night in the suburbs before we turned 21

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Suspicious posted:

college is a scam and we all know it's a scam and it's such a good scam that it's statistically better to just shut up and fork over your money then go through life without that meaningless degree

"oh we're gonna do all our classes online and still pay the same tuition? how much is that corporate zoom account per month?"

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Suspicious posted:

even on its face the phrase human resources should be more upsetting to people than it is

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

inferis posted:

even on its face the phrase human resources should be more upsetting to people than it is

For the longest time, I thought I was the weird one for thinking this, because no one was saying it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My first job out of school was got by applying randomly to different openings until I got one at a psychotic company that immediately promoted me from tech support to programmer (without any pay bump lol) before I even started, which in retrospect should have been a red flag but whatever at least I got a lot of goddamn nuts stories out of that place.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Speaking as a college dropout with a great big years long depression gap on her resume, I dislike how the job system operates and I think the byzantine hiring process and jump-through-this-hoop application processes are an underexamined area for leftist thought. We're just barely not doing hiring at the front gate each morning for what remaining "real" jobs are left.

I wonder, if we survive *points at world* into the next 100+ years if people are going to see this as the Delusional Great Depression in history books, or if people will be learning to worship the Denny girl's feet in the exact right way to earn a 3/4ths day food ration. I really hope we end up being the Stupid Era in futurama.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
lol if you got your job through honesty and hard work, talk about owned

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

inferis posted:

I remember HR sitting me down with the “labor attorney” cause I was a potential witness in a lawsuit a former employee was filing against the company and the entire time talking to him I was thinking “bitch your not a labor attorney you’re a management attorney”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

college is a scam and we all know it's a scam and it's such a good scam that it's statistically better to just shut up and fork over your money then go through life without that meaningless degree

"oh we're gonna do all our classes online and still pay the same tuition? how much is that corporate zoom account per month?"

A liberal arts education is actually very, very good

It's just the implementation and general profit motive of the world that makes it bad just like it poisons everything else

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I once had HR try to convince me that if I wanted a different position in the company, that I would have to resign and join a temp agency that they would rehire me through. I didn't fall for it, and they eventually caved on it, but I always knew it was dirty since a lot of workers there were immigrants.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Bloop posted:

A liberal arts education is actually very, very good

It's just the implementation and general profit motive of the world that makes it bad just like it poisons everything else

hello, i have a complete gender studies degree and a complete-but-one-credit philosophy degree. I honestly can't think that's going to massively improve my chances for a job, but I sure did pay thousands of dollars for it.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

standing outside the victoria secret at the mall loudly underbidding any passer by on how small i wish my survival check were because im such a entrepreneur

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I once went to a job interview where I put my expected salary at 20-25% above my then current job, a norm in the industry. The interviewer looked at that and point blank told me that "we value experience over expertise in this [conglomerate] and we would not be able to explain your unreasonably high salary compared to your peers"

A week later they emailed me to say I failed the interview and I was like who's the one who failed it, eat my rear end

On another note I just suddenly remembered that an old Christian friend of mine originally wanted to join that conglomerate because they have "weekly prayer circle sessions"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I once went to a job interview where I put my expected salary at 20-25% above my then current job, a norm in the industry. The interviewer looked at that and point blank told me that "we value experience over expertise in this [conglomerate] and we would not be able to explain your unreasonably high salary compared to your peers"

A week later they emailed me to say I failed the interview and I was like who's the one who failed it, eat my rear end

I took my previous job because they accepted my highball offer, no questions asked. It was pretty much the only time I tried it, but I was also the only time I was looking for a new job while employed.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

$80 for a lovely basketball with a streamer logo on it. lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I mean if there's any demo that's gonna be unfamiliar with the MSRP of a basketball...

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

VanSandman posted:

It's something to argue about while you pass the time before death. 'Sportsball dumb' goons are extremely weird to me. Like it's a hobby you dipshit, what's not to get?

I'm sorry, sitting on your rear end watching TV is not a hobby.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm sorry, sitting on your rear end watching TV is not a hobby.

no but caring about it and learning about all the players and reading the news and poo poo is

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

fukken... what??

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Plank Walker posted:

no but caring about it and learning about all the players and reading the news and poo poo is

I completely disagree, but I don't want to gate keep having a hobby, which I just now realized is what I'm doing.

Though if you could explain it to me, or compare it to something similar?

Like is watching movies a hobby?

Or listening to podcasts?

Or watching anime?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

I completely disagree, but I don't want to gate keep having a hobby, which I just now realized is what I'm doing.

Though if you could explain it to me, or compare it to something similar?

Like is watching movies a hobby?

Or listening to podcasts?

Or watching anime?

idk it's like people like playing video games, but they also like reading video game reviews, watching previews/lets plays, following video game studios/developers. or the same thing with movies or basically any media. sure the majority of movie/sports watcher and video game players don't care, but the "sports guys" who are really into a specific sport or team or whatever are hobbyists in the same way movie buffs or (ugh) "gamers" are.

e: like i always wondered, having friends and coworkers into sports like, how do they know all this random poo poo about whoever had the most RBIs or assists or what not, and it's because they are actively following and searching for sports info and discussion and that itself IS the hobby

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think if you ever accidentally spend any amount of time talking about it to someone who doesn't give a poo poo but is just entertaining you to be polite that's a hobby

E: watching movies isn't really a hobby but watching movies and imdbing every bit actor you recognise and looking up what they've been in and putting them on a list to check out when you're bored is a hobby for sure

Jezza of OZPOS has issued a correction as of 04:19 on Dec 31, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
stop gatekeeping hobbies

let's just agree that if you consume and obsess about mass media of any kind you're a whore owned by capitalists

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LastInLine posted:

College sports have their place.

Top 20 colleges income from sports:

20. Arkansas — $137 million
19. Louisville — $139 million
18. Michigan State — $140 million
17. South Carolina — $140.6 million
16. Tennessee — $143 million
15. Kentucky — $150 million
14. Iowa — $151 million
13. Auburn — $152.5 million
12. Florida State — $152.7 million
11. Wisconsin — $157.6 million
10. LSU — $157.7 million
9. Florida — $159 million
8. Oklahoma — $163 million
7. Alabama — $164 million
6. Penn State — $164 million
5. Georgia — $174 million
4. Michigan — $197 million
3. Ohio State — $210 million
2. Texas A&M — $212 million
1. Texas — $223 million

Amount paid to players:

$0

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

some of them are being paid

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

hello, i have a complete gender studies degree and a complete-but-one-credit philosophy degree. I honestly can't think that's going to massively improve my chances for a job, but I sure did pay thousands of dollars for it.

Sure sure I'm definitely not saying that in the current context degree=job

Almost the opposite

But rounded education makes for better citizens of the world. Better people

gently caress jobs as the reason to do a self improvement, that's why so many people hate school generally, they think it's a hoop they have to jump through instead of a way to become a better human

Obliterate capitalism

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
I feel like this might be a good place for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4SMSCKOXO8

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
I got my first job out of school through these very dead forums

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ive only ever gotten decent work through nepotism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I got a job through experience from my previous jobs... which I wouldn't have had if it hadn't been for the nepotism that got me into those.