Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Cool. It's for someone that the terminal is still fairly scary, and I remember Transmit from way back and it should be perfect for them.

Transmit and Cyberduck are the two I see used most frequently. I have both installed and use Transmit 99% of the time, Cyberduck the 1% of the time Transmit shits the bed. Transmit is far superior, but Cyberduck is free and pretty polished these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Definitely loads much nicer. Still zooms on input focus but that doesn’t seem like a huge deal.

Might be related to this: https://thingsthemselves.com/no-input-zoom-in-safari-on-iphone-the-pixel-perfect-way/
Thank you! Looking into that link. Although the font size is pretty big; not sure if it's above 16px.

Related: On Chrome mobile, sometimes the search bar goes greyed out / unusable. And it shows "Offline" at the top of the window. Doesn't affect FF on mobile or Chrome on Desktop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dumb client tales:

It has just become clear to me that when the client says "popup" they mean something very different from what I mean when I say "popup".

To me a "popup" is a new, separate browser window or a dialog box that appears as a modal overlay to convey some message.

To them a "popup" is any message that appears, i.e. "pops up". Any message appearing anywhere is "popping up" to them.

So me running around in circles to create a lightboxed dialog to show an error message is completely superfluous, all they wanted was a regular full-page view with a message on it

And when they said they wanted their Netsuite lead-gen form to be embedded on our site as a "popup", they didn't mean they wanted me to solve decades worth of iframe/cross-site security and clickjacking issues overnight and show the remote-generated form hosted from a foreign site in some kind of dialog; they just wanted a link to click and it would go to the form

fuuuuuck me

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 30, 2020

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, in my experience "pop up" actually means "modal" now. Not certain there are a ton of good contemporary use cases for the traditional pop ups anyway. I'd do my best to talk a client out of using one.

Lesson learned, I guess?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean they weren't asking for one per se, they were playing the telephone game and relaying to me what some Netsuite support person told them was required, translated through their own filter of understanding.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Data Graham posted:

Dumb client tales:

So me running around in circles to create a lightboxed dialog And when they said they wanted their Netsuite lead-gen form to be embedded on our site as a "popup", they didn't mean they wanted me to solve decades worth of iframe/cross-site security and clickjacking issues overnight and show the remote-generated form hosted from a foreign site in some kind of dialog; they just wanted a link to click and it would go to the form

fuuuuuck me

Ugh. This is why whenever a client insists on something remotely out of the norm I just do the easiest/most standard version of it first anyway, hoping they either don’t know what they’re talking about, or that I’ve possibly completely misunderstood them. I’d say 50% of the time the first iteration ends up being fine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
"do you have an example from another product/website of what you mean?" is a question that can save hours

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah or even just mirroring back their needs in your words could help clear up the confusion, it’s kind of a two-way street on that responsibility.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
After trying out some of Tailwind, I don't think it's for me. Mostly because I really enjoy writing CSS. There's something about illustrating using text that never gets old. But just reading into CSS frameworks has made me rethink some things. I was shamefully still using and styling IDs, and making class names way too specific. I do like some utility classes, for example the px-2 and mx-auto classes that Tailwind and Bulma mostly share are very useful for the majority of my projects. I don't like the utility class soup, and I also don't like the build process step of Tailwind because it seems like it would make those 6-24 month down-the-road site updates more cumbersome to do. Even though I'm probably never going to use Tailwind, it's nice to try something and think outside the box.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What step am I missing here? I just deployed a Wordpress site to GCP via the marketplace (https://console.cloud.google.com/marketplace/product/click-to-deploy-images/wordpress) I then got a static external IP address that points to the instance that I can visit from my browser. I thought I'd just be able to take the IP address, throw it in as an A record with my DNS provider and it'd work. But it doesn't seem to want to.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
What error are you seeing? Could be any number of things:
- Is the webserver running?
- Is the webserver listening on a non-standard port like 8080 and expecting you to add a separate loadbalancer and/or TLS terminator in front of it?
- does the image have a firewall configured and hasn't unblocked the port(s)?

If you can SSH to that IP address, then you know connectivity is ok. If you can't, then I'd start there first.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

minato posted:

What error are you seeing? Could be any number of things:
- Is the webserver running?
- Is the webserver listening on a non-standard port like 8080 and expecting you to add a separate loadbalancer and/or TLS terminator in front of it?
- does the image have a firewall configured and hasn't unblocked the port(s)?

If you can SSH to that IP address, then you know connectivity is ok. If you can't, then I'd start there first.

Just came to say I found it. Forgot WordPress does absolute URLs. Uploaded my local dev backup pointing to the IP address but need to point to the domain name instead.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm a learner who is focusing on CSS right now. I'm currently doing all of my practice work in Code Pen, because I really like its automatic refreshing of the preview as I make changes. However, I'm wondering if I should get into the habit of working elsewhere? Is using Code Pen going to hold me back somehow?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Download vscode and start using that imho.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, if you're planning on making a career of it, you should probably begin getting comfortable with the actual tooling you'd use on the job. Codepen is better to use a really quick sketch pad for ideas or for easily/visually sharing code snippets. You wouldn't code out a full on production site there.

Set up VS Code with the Live Server extension and you'll quickly have something set up that's easier to work with than tabbing through the Codepen views.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

Set up VS Code with the Live Server extension and you'll quickly have something set up that's easier to work with than tabbing through the Codepen views.

Seconding this. It'll really speed up your learning if you don't need to F5 every time you try a new line of CSS.

Related to learning and improving CSS and design, I found this site and it's been great for inspiration: https://orchomenos.github.io/Design-resources/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I'm miserable in my SEO career at a big agency so I am trying to switch to front end dev as quickly as I can

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

blue squares posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm miserable in my SEO career at a big agency so I am trying to switch to front end dev as quickly as I can

If you are still working for an agency, it will still be miserable, just with more "cannot access prop 'name' of undefined" errors.

Agencies suck. Never again!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

When did online billboards switch from stock photos to cartoons? It was so gradual I didn't notice!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I like working for agencies. Don't really have any experience elsewhere, but I've met people from the other side that got tired of working in the same codebases all the time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lumpy posted:

If you are still working for an agency, it will still be miserable, just with more "cannot access prop 'name' of undefined" errors.

Agencies suck. Never again!

Do you freelance or work in house? I think I’d enjoy being in house but have little interest in managing billing, sales, etc that is part of freelancing. That’s why I’m still agency side in SEO despite being perfectly capable of going freelance

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What I imagine would be most interesting is working on developing something new for a tech company that offers a web based service. Not just laying out B2B contact pages and whatnot but making new tools that customers will interact with

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dominoes posted:

When did online billboards switch from stock photos to cartoons? It was so gradual I didn't notice!

If I get what you mean, yeah I have noticed a trend of illustrations instead of stock photos. I think everyone was starting to recognize the same stock photos from page 1 of search results on Getty or iStock.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I worked for an agency for over a decade and I had a lot of fun but I certainly wouldn't go back to it. I've been on the same product team for about 3 years now and I really like seeing a product grow and improve. Also maybe it was just the agency I was working at but we built a lot of bullshit that nobody used. The product I work on now has thousands of users, and some are pretty high profile people. It's neat to sometimes be watching TV and go "oh yeah I know that person, they use software that I wrote"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I went from being at a startup for 5 years, to going to the city’s top UX consultancy, and after a year went back to in-house at a large corporation. Really just did not like any thing that was part of the client management side of the business, and it feels like all the goodwill and rapport you build can go out the window as you switch projects.

The best of all worlds is getting on a skunkworks team at a large company that will foot the bill for whatever you want with no risk of layoffs / redundancies if things don’t pan out.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Client management is the pits even though I’m really good at it. My clients always like me a lot and give me high survey scores and I often secretly hate them

But my goal is to keep working for my digital marketing agency for now until I have enough experience to move. I don’t want to look for a job in a pandemic

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 2, 2021

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

I'm a learner who is focusing on CSS right now. I'm currently doing all of my practice work in Code Pen, because I really like its automatic refreshing of the preview as I make changes. However, I'm wondering if I should get into the habit of working elsewhere? Is using Code Pen going to hold me back somehow?

codesandbox.io

Lots of great templates to start from, the interface is essentially industry-standard VS Code, you can even do backend NodeJS stuff, and you can download sketches as local fully-formed NPM projects.

Also, glitch.me which is very similar.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to switch my domain to point at new hosting. I'm on a wired connection near one of the DNS hub cities. whatismydns.net says that hub is pointing at the new IP address. Every few minutes when I reload the website, it alternates between the new and old hosting. Thoughts on what might be happening?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What was the TTL on the previous records? Could be one of your ISP's resolvers has cached the previous record, so it'll keep flip-flopping until that old record ages out of everyone's caches.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey all, I spent the past month teaching myselfhow to make a crud app with node, express and pug in preparation of a site I have to make for a client. I learned alot but now I'm at the point where I have to figure out how to set up the database schema for the clients data. I'm at a loss as to the best way to do this and was wondering if any of you know of a good resource to quickly learn or model out the data to play around before committing? I'll probably use mongodb

My big question and area of unsureness is setting up the collectable data in a way that I can query it by date range. So let's say:

Baseball team wants to record stats of players per game, ultimately being able to pull a data for games between this date and that date. I was thinking of something like this as a rough sketch:

GameDayData Schema
Date: string (?)
Runs: Numbers
PlayerLineUp: array with references?

I'm not sure lol. Obviously the real project isn't a baseball team. I'm willing to pay a little bit for someone to guide me also if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Empress Brosephine posted:

.... database schema for the clients data....

... I'll probably use mongodb...

Does not compute.

Use a referential database to store data that refers to other data.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Dear god don't use mongo for that (or anything)

Postgres is probably a good place to start. I don't know why mongo is so popular in the node community but a document store is only the right choice in a few cases.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 4, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can do Postgres also , I have some basic experience with it. I'm sure the reporting tools are better for it also. What do you folks use to host the postgres database? AWS?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Yeah use Postgres. AWS RDS is managed Postgres, it's dead easy to use.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Managed to get visual studio code running with live server so that I'm working entirely on my machine in a browser and can use a single CSS file for multiple HTML pages, like real website. Thanks!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

minato posted:

Yeah use Postgres. AWS RDS is managed Postgres, it's dead easy to use.

I know basically nothing about databases and have been very happy with our PostGres on RDS which has been effort free for 2 years except for some EOL upgrade I had to do. If you know know sick about DBs RDS has been dead easy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's RDS?

I downloaddd pgmodeler and trying to figure it out

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Empress Brosephine posted:

What's RDS?

I downloaddd pgmodeler and trying to figure it out

https://aws.amazon.com/rds/

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

prom candy posted:

I don't know why mongo is so popular in the node community but a document store is only the right choice in a few cases.

Because it's essentially just JSON and simple object manipulation, and by the time you're considering what to use for a DB store, you already know how to do most of that. If you want to go sql, you have to learn sql. This is compounded by the fact that simply attaching a DB to a node server is, in and of itself, a challenge for people doing Babies First DB Project™ and getting rid of any complexity to just deal with things one step at a time, in as few steps as possible, is a very appealing prospect.

It's just a perfect storm of stuff that makes it appealing to a beginner, and then not finding a reason to bother expanding. I'm not defending the stance, but I definitely get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every tutorial teaches mongo also. I haven't really found one that covers postgres or mysql. That said if I do go with postgres there's probably better data reporting tools yeah? Even just for simple reports?